Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Basketball
Basketball NBA, NCAA, International

NBA Regular Season Thread III

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Chraa

vCash: 500
Is Ray Romano the colour commentator for the Raptors feed?

Old
12-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Pretty sure that was the only Raps game where they were in control for practically the entire game. 35 point margin win.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
???

**** Bieber! Glad he got booed last night just like he did at MSG a couple of years back.
That pic you have of Bieber was at this game:

http://www.cambio.com/2012/12/28/jus...eep-the-pic-h/

I'm not a fan of Bieber or boy bands, but the irrational hate and jealousy of the guy by the masses, imo, is borderline homophobic.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
That pic you have of Bieber was at this game:

http://www.cambio.com/2012/12/28/jus...eep-the-pic-h/

I'm not a fan of Bieber or boy bands, but the irrational hate and jealousy of the guy by the masses, imo, is borderline homophobic.
He's not gay...

12-30-2012, 12:14 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Celtics laid another egg tonight :/

I am Boston Strong

Old
12-30-2012, 12:53 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
He's not gay...
The hate towards him is borderline homophobic because most of the people use slang words when describing their hatred towards him.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:58 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
The hate towards him is borderline homophobic because most of the people use slang words when describing their hatred towards him.
Completely agreed.

The way he was heckled in the Garden was embarrassing.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:17 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 662
Man I wish NBATV was playing the Clippers game tonight. That's a game worth watching if you want to get away from all the football.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Something has to give in Boston...

Old
12-30-2012, 10:26 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
Man I wish NBATV was playing the Clippers game tonight. That's a game worth watching if you want to get away from all the football.
They're showing parts of it now. That's the nice thing about NBATV and late games, with no other ones on they'll show you good chunks.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Celtics wanted this to be "Rondo's team". Good luck with that.

Cousins with a triple double tonight.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:18 PM
Clowe Me

Celtics are way too slow and small.

They need to rebuild. Now.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:23 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Pop on resting players: "I’ve done it before and I’ll do it again, I’m sure."

Quote:
One month has passed since San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich flew four key players home before a nationally televised game at Miami. It rankled commissioner David Stern so that it earned the franchise an unprecedented fine of a quarter-million bucks.

Popovich said Sunday night as the Spurs prepared to face the Dallas Mavericks that he has had no contact with the league, has no idea of any guidelines for resting players and that he’ll operate as he has and rest a player — or players — as he sees fit.

“The league hasn’t come out with specific guidelines to follow on resting players or anything like that, so I don’t really know what the rules are,” Popovich said. “But given that we’ve been fined for it, I would assume that they’re probably thinking about it, working on it in some way, shape or form. But I haven’t had any conversations with the league on, ‘Hey, what are you doing, what’s the deal?’ I haven’t talked to anybody.”

That could make this week rather interesting. The Spurs began a stretch of four games in five nights Sunday at Dallas. Then they’ll come back home to host Brooklyn on Monday. That’s followed by a trip to Milwaukee on Wednesday and on to New York to play the Knicks on Thursday.

“If you’re playing four games in five nights and you need to rest somebody, I think that’s a call that I’ll make,” Popovich said. “I’ve done it before and I’ll do it again, I’m sure.”

The Nov. 29 game at Miami was the Spurs’ 10th road game of the month and the last of a six-game road trip that spanned 10 days. After defeating the Orlando Magic by 21 points the night before, Popovich sent home starsTim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, plus key rotation player Danny Green.

Almost as quickly as Stern learned about the absences in Miami, he issued an apology to fans, saying the Spurs’ decision was “unacceptable” and “substantial sanctions will be forthcoming.”

Stern was particularly perturbed that the Spurs did not notify the league office in advance. Still, the Spurs’ reserves led nearly the entire game until losing the lead and the game in the final minute.

Some suggested that Popovich sent the players home as a not-so-subtle message to the league to express his distaste for the road-heavy schedule. Would Popovich actually risk another significant fine or possible suspension and rest multiple players again? Well, it’s impossible to predict what Popovich might do.

“A lot of cricumstances have to converge to sit two or three players on a given night,” Popovich said. “But it has to do with their bodies, how many hits they’ve taken, how many minutes they’ve played, what the schedule is, all those things.”

Popovich is certainly known for giving his older players nights off, especially Duncan and particularly in a back-to-back situation. He’s hardly the only coach to do so. Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle used to give Jason Kidd nights off, typically later in the season, as a way to keep him fresh.

It was also not the first time that Popovich ordered multiple players home early from a road trip. However, the early season timing of this incident, plus it being a nationally televised game against the champs, did not sit well with the league office.

Yet until the league hands down a directive, Popovich doesn’t plan on changing his priorities.

“I don’t know what the guidelines are, do you?” Popovich said. “I don’t know how you plan. I’m just going to do what I’ve been doing for, I don’t know how long now, 16, 17 years, whatever it is. I’m mostly concerned with the health and safety of my players, especially the ones who are a little bit older and when they need rest I’m going to give it to them.”

In February, the AT&T Center is occupied by the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo, so the Spurs will be away from Feb. 6-24, a nine-game trip that at least has the luxury of being split up by the All-Star break.

The Spurs play the first five before the break with one back-to-back, plus three games in four nights heading into the break. After it they play four games in six nights with the middle two being a back-to-back.
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/1...es-are-do-you/

Pop

Old
12-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Kershaw

Clips have won 17 straight.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:37 PM
davebenj

Lol, Pop is such a dick but he sure is funny!

Old
12-31-2012, 12:43 PM
davebenj

If I'm the Celtics, I try to trade Pierce right now. He's getting up there in age, you all know what I think of his defense and they can potentially get a lot for him. I don't think they make the playoffs this year (though I could be wrong) so why not?

Old
12-31-2012, 12:45 PM
davebenj

Actually, these days in the Nba it seems there is a lot more scoring and a lot less defense. I miss the 80-70 games sometimes.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj View Post
If I'm the Celtics, I try to trade Pierce right now. He's getting up there in age, you all know what I think of his defense and they can potentially get a lot for him. I don't think they make the playoffs this year (though I could be wrong) so why not?
He's not going anywhere. I do believe he has a no trade clause.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:03 PM
davebenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
He's not going anywhere. I do believe he has a no trade clause.
Didn't realize that. They need to do something though I would think unless they think they will work out of the slump or perhaps just have this as a throwaway year (or even just try to make playoffs if they can). I would leave Doc alone for sure. He's a great coach.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:13 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj View Post
Didn't realize that. They need to do something though I would think unless they think they will work out of the slump or perhaps just have this as a throwaway year (or even just try to make playoffs if they can). I would leave Doc alone for sure. He's a great coach.
Still trying to verify the NTC. Even if he doesn't, Danny won't do it.

Maybe they try to dump Brandon Bass and Courtney Lee for Cousins? I'd like to keep Jeff Green unless the right deal comes along.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:

Maybe they try to dump Brandon Bass and Courtney Lee for Cousins? I'd like to keep Jeff Green unless the right deal comes along.
Those 2 aren't nearly enough to get Cousins. That's like me offering Aaron Brooks and Francisco Garcia for Rajon Rondo, may work on a video game, stupid in reality.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:

You're going to "dump" two players who have never been that good and are two of the least efficient players the Celtics have for DeMarcus Cousins? He's a headcase but he's only 22 and it'll take a lot to get him.

Chris Sheridan brought up a package of Avery Bradley, Jared Sullinger, Fab Melo, and a draft pick and said that might be enough to get Cousins. If I were the Kings, I still wouldn't make that trade. Those guys have some potential but they're still huge question marks. You could say the same about Cousins as well but at least he has shown that he can play at a high level in the NBA. The Kings could get fed up with Cousins and trade him for less than what he is worth but it doesn't sound like they're close to that point right now.

I doubt you have to worry about the Celtics trading Jeff Green. I don't think many teams will be lining up to pay him $9M/yr for the next three or four years.

Just looked at the Celtics roster and the money they owe some of these guys and it's not pretty. Rondo is their best player and he only shows up when he wants to and he still can't hit a jumper. He's also afraid to go to the free throw line now because he's the only point guard in the league who can't hit free throws. The rest of the players are old, not that good, or young players who haven't proven anything yet.

Last edited by Avs_19: 12-31-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old
12-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Clowe Me

Bradley, Sullinger, Melo and a pick still isn't enough. Bradley is hurt and doesn't have star potential, Sullinger is undersized and Melo has never even gotten on the court.

For Cousins to get traded, a team will have to take on a contract (Salmons, Garcia, Hayes) and they will have to trade a very promising young player along with more players and picks.

Boston doesn't have enough to get it done and Sacramento has no reason to rush Cousins out of town.

Old
12-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Those 2 aren't nearly enough to get Cousins. That's like me offering Aaron Brooks and Francisco Garcia for Rajon Rondo, may work on a video game, stupid in reality.
Those were two guys I kept hearing some of the guys at work tossing out. To be fair, I am not as up to date as I should be when discussing other team's role/bench players.
This is definitely a bridge year for us and C's fans knew this going into the season. I don't think any of us expected this much inconsistency tho.

I trust Danny. He will do what is best for the team.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Those were two guys I kept hearing some of the guys at work tossing out. To be fair, I am not as up to date as I should be when discussing other team's role/bench players.
This is definitely a bridge year for us and C's fans knew this going into the season. I don't think any of us expected this much inconsistency tho.

I trust Danny. He will do what is best for the team.
Listening to people at work and posting here is never a good thing. People at work are homers who don't know anything about the other team's needs and severly over value their own guys to the point where 2 nobodies are being offered for a 22-year-old center with immense potential.

Sacramento will work with Cousins. They aren't ready to admit defeat and believe they can change his attitude on the court. I much rather see them take that risk than trade him for bodies.

Closed Thread