HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Who are your top 15 prospects?

Old
12-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
Good list but after watching the world juniors I'd replace Rielly with Wikstrand.
. Wikstrand doesn't even sniff the top 50 imo.

He's had a good year, but lets not get carried away.

Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post

He's probably top 100 though.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
Brodin does not belong anywhere near the top 15

1.Yevgeni Kuznetsov
2.Justin Schultz
3.Dougie Hamilton
4.Mikael Granlund
5.Nail Yakupov
6.Vladimir Tarasenko
7.Jonathan Huberdeau
8.Sven Baerschi
9.Ryan Murray
10.Alex Galchenyuk
11.Mika Zibanejad
12.Mark Scheifele
13.Morgan Reilly
14.Ryan Strome
15.Boone Jenner
But you have Boone Jenner in your top 15.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Completely disagree. Kessel is a good passer and can go tape to tape but even a passer can play with blinders on. He has no sense of surroundings or time and space. He just see's whats ahead of him.
What...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCNowUuAWfY

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I've seen him 5 or 6 times and I'm still waiting to see something that wows me, or even just solid steady unheralded play.

Nothing I've seen tells me he's great in his own end, either physically, positionally or hockey sense wise, and offensively, while he skates well, I haven't seen him rush the puck much or make great passes from his own end.

What I see is a big guy, who skates well, has a big shot, and can be the shot guy on a pp (but not the qb).

I'm probably missing things, but I've been underwhelmed ever time I've seen him.
I agree

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:17 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
But you have Boone Jenner in your top 15.
Why the only player on those lists in the ohl that have more points than Boone are galy, strome and scheifele. And he has more goals than all of them. And is a more rounded player than most. He may not have elite talent across the board like some of the top 3 or 4 prospects but he definitely is above average across the board which is more than you can say for most everybodys top 15.

slightlystewpid420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:40 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Why the only player on those lists in the ohl that have more points than Boone are galy, strome and scheifele. And he has more goals than all of them. And is a more rounded player than most. He may not have elite talent across the board like some of the top 3 or 4 prospects but he definitely is above average across the board which is more than you can say for most everybodys top 15.
simple anwser is because there are easily 15 better prospects. also need to remember this is Jenner's 4th season in the OHL.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:59 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
simple anwser is because there are easily 15 better prospects. also need to remember this is Jenner's 4th season in the OHL.
Easily, I wouldnt say easily. Also Schultz is at least 2 or 3 years older than most players on that list. Jenner is only a 93 compared to Schultz who should already be a regular face in the nhl after playing 3 years at Wisconsin and is a 90'.

On a side note I can see Mike Reilly being a lot like Schultz after 3 years at Minnesota. Both played in the BCHL(Reilly put up far better numbers) and then went to play in the WHCA

Old
12-28-2012, 10:22 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:

You're just giving too much credit to draft position. At the highest level competition that either Wikstrand or Rielly has played, Wikstrand is showing he's a great prospect while Rielly is looking like an overhyped bust.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
You're just giving too much credit to draft position. At the highest level competition that either Wikstrand or Rielly has played, Wikstrand is showing he's a great prospect while Rielly is looking like an overhyped bust.
What? He's is tied for 3rd in tournament scoring and 7th in plus-minus while playing 15-ish minutes a game. Yes, he has played two easy teams but nothing he has done leads to the conclusion that he is an "overhyped bust".

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:35 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Overhyped bust? Are you high?

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:18 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
I wouldnt say overhyped bust, way to early to tell that lol. But to anyone who has Rielly ahead of Murray on their list is nuts. The Isles didnt offer CBJ 7 picks to move up two spots to get Murray instead of Rielly. Im pretty sure the Isles scouting staff knows a lot more about prospects than anyone here. Murray has that IT factor that so few have. Dont forget Murray would be the Captain on Team Canada had he been healthy right now. I havent really made a list yet so its not really fair for me to ranking people so ill go ahead and make one and comment on those that I have actually seen play and can actually make an opinion on.

1.) Yakupov - His international play is lacking, but hes tearing up the KHL right now and I think once he finds his grove with the rest of the oilers the kid will shine.
2.) Schultz- Since most seem to think Schultz is a prospect i'll put him down. Kid can play and is putting up crazy numbers in the AHL, but will those numbers translate? I think so.
3.)Galchenyuk - Kid is showing what he can do in international play and for the Sting. But once he gets a grove going in Montreal hes only going to make those players around him better and himself. (I have a feeling the Jackets could regret not drafting Galy)
4.)Murray - I dont think I have seen Murray this high on anyones list and of course me being a CBJ homer i'm going to put him this high. I think this kid has the intangibles that only Yakupov could compete with in this past draft. His skating ability, hockey senses, and playmaking abilities put him a notch above the rest. He has been a captain of every team he has played for since he was 10. And when he can stay healthy he is almost a PPG player. Not a sexy player by any means, but his intangibles are so far above the rest its impossible not to have him in the top 5.
5.) Tarasenko
6.)Kuznetsov
7.)Huberdeau
8.)Grigorenko - He dropped way farther than I think anyone imagined. Hes going to make a lot of team regret passing on him for a long time.
9.)Strome
10.)Scheifele
11.)Barkov - I think this kid is going to be a phenom, its impossible for me not to put him on here. I was a big fan before this season, but he has blown me outta the water this year. Only reason I have him so far back is because only time will tell if his game will translate to the NA style.
12.)Jenner - Im not sold that his offensive talents will completely translate to the NHL, but even if they dont his hockey sense, grit and mentality will take suffice. I see him starting on a checking line and the pk for CBJ in the 13/14 season, possibly moving up depending on production.
13.)Baertschi - Havent seen much of him, but ive heard a lot of good things about him
14.) Rielly
15.)Zibanjebad - Havent seen much of him either, but everything i have seen has blown me away.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

Quote:
Hahaha I don't care about draft position. Rielly is clearly the better player, watch him play. Keep off the Senator stew for a while too. That **** will **** you up.

"overhype bust"

Old
12-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Today I learned who Wikstrand is.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Today I learned who Wikstrand is.
yup he's the next overhyped senator prospect. rinse and repeat.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:11 AM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
yup he's the next overhyped senator prospect. rinse and repeat.
Yeah. Whatever happened to that overhyped Senator prospect that was also a guy they drafted as a defenceman out of Sweden? Erik something or other. Did he ever do something that no Maple Leaf has ever done?

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

Quote:
Yeah. Whatever happened to that overhyped Senator prospect that was also a guy they drafted as a defenceman out of Sweden? Erik something or other. Did he ever do something that no Maple Leaf has ever done?
Erik Karlsson is good. Not going to argue that.

Was referring to Stone, Silvferbeg, Daigle, Noesen, Lehner, Lee, Regin, Greening, Butler, Smith etc

Not saying there bad prospects, but we don't need them shoved down our throats every 15 minutes.

Last edited by Hennig: 12-29-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old
12-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
Good list but after watching the world juniors I'd replace Rielly with Wikstrand.
That right there is your mistake bud.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Beegoalie

Quote:
I wouldnt say overhyped bust, way to early to tell that lol. But to anyone who has Rielly ahead of Murray on their list is nuts. The Isles didnt offer CBJ 7 picks to move up two spots to get Murray instead of Rielly. Im pretty sure the Isles scouting staff knows a lot more about prospects than anyone here. Murray has that IT factor that so few have. Dont forget Murray would be the Captain on Team Canada had he been healthy right now. I havent really made a list yet so its not really fair for me to ranking people so ill go ahead and make one and comment on those that I have actually seen play and can actually make an opinion on.

1.) Yakupov - His international play is lacking, but hes tearing up the KHL right now and I think once he finds his grove with the rest of the oilers the kid will shine.
2.) Schultz- Since most seem to think Schultz is a prospect i'll put him down. Kid can play and is putting up crazy numbers in the AHL, but will those numbers translate? I think so.
3.)Galchenyuk - Kid is showing what he can do in international play and for the Sting. But once he gets a grove going in Montreal hes only going to make those players around him better and himself. (I have a feeling the Jackets could regret not drafting Galy)
4.)Murray - I dont think I have seen Murray this high on anyones list and of course me being a CBJ homer i'm going to put him this high. I think this kid has the intangibles that only Yakupov could compete with in this past draft. His skating ability, hockey senses, and playmaking abilities put him a notch above the rest. He has been a captain of every team he has played for since he was 10. And when he can stay healthy he is almost a PPG player. Not a sexy player by any means, but his intangibles are so far above the rest its impossible not to have him in the top 5.
5.) Tarasenko
6.)Kuznetsov
7.)Huberdeau
8.)Grigorenko - He dropped way farther than I think anyone imagined. Hes going to make a lot of team regret passing on him for a long time.
9.)Strome
10.)Scheifele
11.)Barkov - I think this kid is going to be a phenom, its impossible for me not to put him on here. I was a big fan before this season, but he has blown me outta the water this year. Only reason I have him so far back is because only time will tell if his game will translate to the NA style.
12.)Jenner - Im not sold that his offensive talents will completely translate to the NHL, but even if they dont his hockey sense, grit and mentality will take suffice. I see him starting on a checking line and the pk for CBJ in the 13/14 season, possibly moving up depending on production.
13.)Baertschi - Havent seen much of him, but ive heard a lot of good things about him
14.) Rielly
15.)Zibanjebad - Havent seen much of him either, but everything i have seen has blown me away.

Your spot on about Murray. Severely underrated on these lists and perhaps the injury didn't help but he's a top 3 defensive prospect in the world and probably the best..certainly a top 5 prospect.

but there are so many things wrong with this list I won't even begin to pick them apart...

Boone Jenner is a better prospect then Mikael Granlund?? Or did you forget Granlund in your top 15 altogether??

Grigorenko above Strome and Scheifle?? Oh boy...yes I think Justin Schultz will translate to NHL success but you honestly think he is going to be a better NHLer than Huberdeau, Tarasenko, etc...

you need to get your head checked besides the Murray point.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:38 AM
Beegoalie

Brodin could easily be a top 25..top 15 is a stretch but he would be dominating the WJC if not for a broken collarbone suffered in the AHL.

Remember this is the same Brodin that New Jersey was selecting #4 overall had Larsson been picked before them.

He is one of the best if skaters along with Reilly and Murray of the prospects on these lists and will be a top 4 defenseman instantly when he makes his way to the Wild next season.

Ill help everyone out by saying keep an eye on Brodin. He's a special talent.

Old
12-29-2012, 12:41 AM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Why he's arguably he most well rounded player on any of these lists. Top 10 in pts in the O, tied for first in goals. Faceoff extraordinaire, gritty pk. You can throw him in any situation and he will excel. His skating has improved tremendously. This kid is the real deal. I'm not just saying that because I'm a CBJ Homer, you can just watch that kid and see his heart and soul in everything he does. One hit has made him a villain.

Jenner is a bottom 6 forward in the NHL..this does not make for a top 15 prospect in all of hockey if I'm not mistaken...

Old
12-29-2012, 01:17 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
I'm a red wing fan and i dont even think Nyqusit is our top prospect. Kid is Filppula 2.0, very good prospect but not elite. Top 15 is made for Elite.
He was #2 to start the year behind Smith. With the year he's having he might have pushed his way to #1.

And Filppula 2.0 is damn near elite depending on how much you consider the "2.0" to be. Filppula put up 66 this year. Nyquist seems far better to me than Filppula did at the same age. A 70+ point forward with exceptional defensive skills? I mean, you're not talking Sidney Crosby but that's still a damn good talent.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:22 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I'm not sold on Kuznetsov, Tarasenko, Granlund or Zibanejad yet.

I want to see how they adapt to North American hockey first.

Right now I consider guys like Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk and Baertschi as better prospects, simply because they've already shown they can play in the CHL.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:00 AM
slightlystewpid420

So your saying you wouldnt want a guy kinda like this? Cause they have similiar stats and playing styles and oddly enough they would play for the same AHL team lol Yes Boone Jenner wont lead the NHL in goals next year. Nor will he lead the league in +/-, or any statistical category next year, or probably the year after that. But hes a player who is just going to keep getting better every year and he has a lot of potential. I dont know about you but when I look at his stats, I see a kid who has dropped his PIM every single year, I see a kid who improved his +/- every single year. And most importantly I see a kid who knows how to turn it on in playoff situations. Hes a consistent PPG player and has the chance to be take on a pretty big role in Columbus.

Old
12-29-2012, 02:07 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
The fact that your basing it off two games is ridiculous., by those standards Hamilton shouldn't be in the top 100... The fact that Rielly is 3rd in tournament scoring while finishing up as arguably the best player of Canada's last game just makes jthe comment confusing....

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote