HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Yakupov ready to keep " His Cool" against "Dirty" Canadians

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
While i have no idea of the officiating in that particular game, it doesn't necessarily mean the officiating wasnt in favor of Canada even if they got less PP.. And lot of posters here think game is fairly officiated only when penalties are even, thats rarely true since other team usually takes more penalties.
I understand that, but if the refs were truly biased, I doubt they would risk their boys being down 5 on 3 to Swedes.

Old
12-26-2012, 07:10 PM
kap0r

these two came into my mind immediatly after reading the thread title

of course, Kharlamov`s broken ankle is a good example too

Old
12-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Use the Schwartz*

Wonder if he'll be keeping the uni-brow along with the cool.

Old
12-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Steerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Did a google search for stats from the past World Juniors.

I went back to 2004. The only year that Canada lead the tournament in penalties was last year. That was also their worst showing in over a decade.

From 2004-2010 (in which they won five gold medals) the highest they finished in penalty minutes was 6th overall. So the stereotype about Canadians only winning because of cheating is unfounded.

Not that Yakupov was trying to say that. But certain posters here definitely were.
Well when you get away with stuff like this on a regular basis, it is no surprise that your penalty minutes are significantly lower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM8scrT6PKE

Old
12-26-2012, 07:45 PM
canuck2010

I love watching Euro hockey (soccer) soccer (hockey). Wait I can't tell the difference.

A hard body check is dirty according to your standards and understanding of hockey.

Old
12-26-2012, 07:59 PM
SH15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap0r View Post
I heard this guy died after that hit. Oh wait, that's just how he was acting to get a 5 minute major. Can you believe this guy played the next game after this cowardly display rolling around the ice? How embarrasing.

<---Mikus

Old
12-26-2012, 08:01 PM
kap0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
I love watching Euro hockey (soccer) soccer (hockey). Wait I can't tell the difference.

A hard body check is dirty according to your standards and understanding of hockey.
i don`t think Nail (or anyone in this discussion tbh) meant the "hard bodychecks".

What "we" mean is shown in the videos above. I`m sure that f.e. Ryan Smith`s continuous whacking of the czech player is just a display of a "passionate and hard play"

Old
12-26-2012, 08:04 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever

Hopefully with these comments the Canadian Juniors will play extra hard against Russia, although it's not like they needed any extra motivation. So if anything it seems that Yakupov gave Canada extra reason to defeat Russia and he should have kept his comments to himself.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:08 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

I remember Rene Vydareny of Slovakia crosschecking Simon Gagne in the back of the head after Simon scored back in the 2005 WCs.

One of the dirtiest plays I've seen.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Drij

Quote:

of course, Kharlamov`s broken ankle is a good example too
It's okay, Kharlamov is a communist.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:11 PM
kap0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
I heard this guy died after that hit. Oh wait, that's just how he was acting to get a 5 minute major. Can you believe this guy played the next game after this cowardly display rolling around the ice? How embarrasing.

<---Mikus
here you go:
http://translate.google.com/translat...hol%2F&act=url

I`m against diving as the next guy (that`s why I don`t really follow soccer), but since I`ve been hit in the muscle right above the knee and know what it feels like, I cannot really blame Mikus for his reaction. Felt the pain even in my neck.
However - Getzlaf`s knee-on-knee was intentional and dirty, that was my point.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:
here you go:

I`m against diving as the next guy (that`s why I don`t really follow soccer), but since I`ve been hit in the muscle right above the knee and know what it feels like, I cannot really blame Mikus for his reaction. Felt the pain even in my neck.
I nearly pissed myself
Mikus tried to avoid the hit and Getzlaf tried to connect still.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:14 PM
kap0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I remember Rene Vydareny of Slovakia crosschecking Simon Gagne in the back of the head after Simon scored back in the 2005 WCs.

yep, Halak can tell a thing or two also... oh, wait, nvm

Old
12-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Suxnet

ITT: Lots of Euro tears.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:40 PM
SH15

Quote:
here you go:

Yes. Ryan Getzlaf, in the dying moments of a tied QF matchup, had nothing on his mind but delivering an intentional knee on knee hit. Vicious, malicious Canadians I tell ya!

Funny that's how you saw it. I saw a 2 minute kneeing penalty turned into a 5 minute major by a coward. When you compare this to someone suffering a real, severe injury without flailing around on the ice like a total *****, your Mikus example is both hilarious and embarassing.

Of course there are examples of dirty play by Canadians. But no country has a clean slate in this regard.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Eb
Stanley Cup Champion

Lol at all the ignorant people in this thread.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
here you go:

So what's your take on Marincin's elbow to Zucker's head at the last WJC (or was it 2 years ago)?

Point is, there is all kinds of hilarious accusations going on in this thread, and all because of a little comment that people are missing the true motive of - Yakupov trying to gain an edge. His comments are no different than Tortarella sounding off about the Penguins last year, get the attention of the refs before the puck drops. If Team Canada seeks him out because of the comments, penalties may be more likely to be called and Russia gets more power plays. If Canada lays up against Yakupov in fear of being over-scrutinized by officials, then he gets the extra room out there and increases his effectiveness. If someone takes him out immediately with a dirty hit, then it further justifies his comments. He seemingly wins in every scenario short of Team Canada playing a perfectly disciplined game and beating the Russians in doing so - a tall order.

I find it funny that some poster's question him wearing the C when a move like this is exactly what a captain must do, persuade the officials to see things from his team's perspective. The overreaction of some is the truly troubling part.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:14 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

I am Canadian. I have always been bothered by the sneaky hide-from-ref stickwork, digs and trips that I experienced playing youth hockey in the early 1980's. I absolutely love checking and hits when they are clean and timely. But the idea of "finishing your check" is really about taking advantage of the margins of the rules: hit the puck carrier, for sure, but after the puck has been passed then one is supposed to not initial contact. "Finishing your check", as coaches put it, is about bending the rules by taking advantage of that half second or so after the puck has been released when one can appear to be simply "finishing" a check already in the act of being thrown. The fact is: in Canadian hockey it is all too common to start to throw checks (misphrased "finishing a check") after the puck is gone. The "different standard" that the Canadian players and coaches speak of in the international tourney is in fact a HIGHER standard, following the rules that makes the game the great game it is: a skilled passing and skating sport where hitting the puck carrier is encouraged but obstruction or late contact of non-puck carriers is counter to the spirit and rules of the game.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:18 PM
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor

Don't forget Dan Boyle's slewfoot on Semin in the Olympics.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:29 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Apparently all the other teams that participate in this tournament are saints.

No stickwork from these angels, no siree.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

This thread is just so full of stupidity that I'm going leave responding to it to our intellectual savior. This one is directed to all of you:

Old
12-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post

Nonsense. They are choir boys. All of them.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:45 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
i don`t think Nail (or anyone in this discussion tbh) meant the "hard bodychecks".

What "we" mean is shown in the videos above. I`m sure that f.e. Ryan Smith`s continuous whacking of the czech player is just a display of a "passionate and hard play"
Well if the Czech player didn't want to get hacked he probably should have removed his stick from Smyth's junk.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:46 PM
SH15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Apparently all the other teams that participate in this tournament are saints.

No stickwork from these angels, no siree.

Yep, no crosschecks to the face today. None at all.

Us Canadians should bash the other countries endlessly in threads all over these boards

Old
12-26-2012, 09:47 PM
bizzz*

http://rsport.ru/hockey/20121217/636159106.html
Here's the original.
It was posted on the r-sports site 12.17.12. So Yakupov said those words at least 10 days ago. TSN didn't say a word about it. Also why don't they translate all the Yakupov's words? Such journalism smells bad.

Closed Thread