HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Yakupov ready to keep " His Cool" against "Dirty" Canadians

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2012, 09:52 PM
kap0r

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
Yes. Ryan Getzlaf, in the dying moments of a tied QF matchup, had nothing on his mind but delivering an intentional knee on knee hit. Vicious, malicious Canadians I tell ya!
yep. it`s called "frustration", look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
Of course there are examples of dirty play by Canadians. But no country has a clean slate in this regard.
Sure, you`re right. It`s just that to "us" it seems, that by the canadian team the dirty plays are more frequent than by the other teams.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:54 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
http://rsport.ru/hockey/20121217/636159106.html
Here's the original.
It was posted on the r-sports site 12.17.12. So Yakupov said those words at least 10 days ago. TSN didn't say a word about it. Also why don't they translate all the Yakupov's words? Such journalism smells bad.
from what i can glean from google translate, here is the part in the article where he talks about Canada (and then goes on to talk about Alex Galchenyuk). Maybe someone who speaks Russian can clarify what exactly he's said?

Quote:
"Конечно, я готов к роли лидера, - отметил Якупов во время общения с журналистами. - И морально, и физически, и по всем остальным критериям, которые будут нужны. Я великолепно себя чувствую и готов выложиться на все сто процентов. Прекрасно понимаю, что в связи с этим мне нужно будет держать себя в руках и не поддаваться на провокации. Особенно в игре с Канадой. Эти ребята тем и отличаются, что играют грязно. Мы уже привыкли, провели за океаном несколько матчей, так что команда к 31-му числу готова. Я не собираюсь зарабатывать дисквалификации по глупости. Но, понятное дело, удары клюшкой по спине терпеть не буду, так играть нельзя. Если надо, я могу и в ответку дать. Но целенаправленно давать сдачи за удары исподтишка не буду. Постараемся сдерживать себя".

Якупов не заключал пари со своим другом - Алексом Гальченюком, с которым вместе выступал за "Сарнию" в лиге Онтарио. Сын известного белорусского хоккеиста будет выступать в Уфе за национальную команду США.
"Нет, никаких споров или пари не заключали, - ответил Якупов на один из вопросов. - Да и вообще, если только при встрече пообщаемся, и то хорошо. Сейчас нам не до разговоров. У него там свой чемпионат, а я в КХЛ играл. Будет интересно против него выйти и сыграть. Последние два года Саша говорил, что если на уровне сборных встретимся, то обязательно будем друг с другом биться. Если что, я готов. Но целенаправленно кому-то травму наносить я не буду, конечно".

Old
12-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

Lol why is Yakupov such a ******** little crybaby? I'm gonna laugh when the rest of the whiney Russians are diving all over the place.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:58 PM
MOGiLNY

Send a message via MSN to MOGiLNY
Russians think Canadians are dirty
Canadians think Russians are dirty

all ingredients of a rivalry.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:04 PM
kap0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
So what's your take on Marincin's elbow to Zucker's head at the last WJC (or was it 2 years ago)?
A boneheaded dirty play / revenge for Zucker`s hit on Stajnoch the year before

Now don`t get me wrong, I`m not saying that all the other players/teams are saints or altar boys. But the Canadian team has a reputation of a tough, but more than often dirty team amongst the others. What do you think, why is that?
Most of the euro teams have their own share of tough, gritty guys... Chara, Kronwall, Emelin etc., so they are not shy of physical hockey and "finishing their checks", so it`s not about them/us being pansies. Why do you think that Canada has this reputation?

Old
12-26-2012, 10:07 PM
RollTheBones109

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap0r View Post
A boneheaded dirty play / revenge for Zucker`s hit on Stajnoch the year before

Now don`t get me wrong, I`m not saying that all the other players/teams are saints or altar boys. But the Canadian team has a reputation of a tough, but more than often dirty team amongst the others. What do you think, why is that?
Most of the euro teams have their own share of tough, gritty guys... Chara, Kronwall, Emelin etc., so they are not shy of physical hockey and "finishing their checks", so it`s not about them/us being pansies. Why do you think that Canada has this reputation?
Part truth, part nationalism, and part jealousy, I think. I wonder what people would think if Canada placed 4th-7th in all tournaments? Whether they would be dirty or just gritty and tough? Canada is scrutinized more than any other team. This scrutiny, admittedly, does reveal a mean and sometimes dirty streak.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Rob

Quote:

Sure, you`re right. It`s just that to "us" it seems, that by the canadian team the dirty plays are more frequent than by the other teams.
Do you have statistical evidence to back this up?

Please try and keep this focused on the past decade. A lot has changed since the 70's.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:14 PM
SH15

Quote:
I love how the examples I've seen include Mikus the coward and that Connolly hit against Russia. Weak weak stuff.

Mikus......Aaaaaaaaah my kneeeeeeee! K I'm good to play.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:52 PM
MOGiLNY

Send a message via MSN to MOGiLNY
sort of funny how a couple threads down, people are defending Boone Jenner

Old
12-26-2012, 11:02 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGiLNY View Post
sort of funny how a couple threads down, people are defending Boone Jenner
What was Yarullin's (?) reason for his jumping head shot when the puck was in the corner or Shalunov's vicious cross check?

Both dirty plays if made by a Canadian at this tournament would have been suspensions.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:02 PM
PAZ

I enjoy how this thread went from Canada vs Russia, to Yakupov vs Canadian players. Funniest part is the Oilers fan who went from defending Canada to defending their prospect.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
I don't think the adult version of Team Canada is any more mean or physical than anyone else (Team Finland roll three lines of grinders and win more often than you'd expect). These are all NHLers who are used to playing an NHL game.

But I think there's a fair sight difference between the physicality of Team Canada's junior team and the various Euro teams. And I think Team Canada juniors amplify that element simply because they have more experience in it.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:04 PM
arsmaster

My other issue with Russians is how they like to dive down when finishing checks.

Why not finish your checks with your shoulder? Not going for the low bridge.

Saw at least 3 today.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Epictetus
Create yourself.

vCash: 50
Canada does have some 'dirty' moments in their history that includes cheap-shots and hits that certainly have an element of intent to injure. However, to just label Canada in this regard is inaccurate and makes you look foolish, just like it is for Canadian fans to be defending these hits.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:28 PM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
A Canadian fan in the Jenner thread said that in Canada you are taught that if you aren't cheating you aren't trying. Now, I have no idea if that's true or not, but if that is the culture of Canadian youth hockey, you guys shouldn't be insulted when other players call you dirty.
I'd really like to see the direct quote from this Canadian fan. Doesn't seem like he knows much about hockey.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Diving doesn't injure other players. It might be unethical but it's not dirty.
We have very huge differences on what we call dirty.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Langdon Alger*

Does Team Canada play dirty? Probably. Do I care? Not even a little bit.

All that matters is gold, baby.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:35 PM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

RUS player Shalunov's double minor for highsticking in game vs SVK under review for IIHF discipline. Decision expected in about two hours.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Halpysback*

So the problem isn't that Canada plays dirty, but that others call them out on it

Old
12-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

RUS player Shalunov's double minor for highsticking in game vs SVK under review for IIHF discipline. Decision expected in about two hours.
Too bad he's not Canadian, then he'd probably 'get away with just a warning'

Old
12-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Langdon Alger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
So the problem isn't that Canada plays dirty, but that others call them out on it
Maybe Canada does play dirty, but that isn't a problem for Canada - it's a problem for its opponents.

Old
12-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon Alger View Post
Maybe Canada does play dirty, but that isn't a problem for Canada - it's a problem for its opponents.
Sounds like exactly what Yakupov is getting roasted for saying.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:06 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Some of the Finns in this thread gave me a good chuckle. Seems they missed out on Jarko Ruutu and Esa Tikkanen.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:07 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

I'm guessing a game minimum, probably two.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:08 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
We have very huge differences on what we call dirty.
I am aware.

Closed Thread