HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Cup of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Cup of Hockey Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Yakupov ready to keep " His Cool" against "Dirty" Canadians

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Fulcrum

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTheBones109 View Post
Looks like he meant to punch him in the face and missed, to be honest.

Could have been a call live based on intent, but pushing someone's chest isn't really a penalty, is it?
uh Ye it is.

Play the puck, play hockey- don't go halfway across the ice and chase a guy down for the purpose of sucker punching him.

Old
12-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Fulcrum

1972 was another bright example of when Canada was losing and started to play real dirty. Holding down Tretiak for 30+ seconds in the corner (still counldnt' score with empty net), taking out Kharlamov... sometimes it actually works, but it's still playing dirty.

Old
12-26-2012, 04:40 PM
RollTheBones109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
uh Ye it is.

Play the puck, play hockey- don't go halfway across the ice and chase a guy down for the purpose of sucker punching him.
The guy had the puck when Connolly reached him. I have no idea how you describe the clip that way except blatant homerism.

Moreover, people extend their arms (and, necessarily, hands) through their hits all the time. Standing a guy up at the blueline requires pushing him. You keep elbows down, but often push through the torso of the person you are hitting. That's what I'm saying: The motion that actually occurred isn't that far off a regular check, even though that is likely not what Connolly intended.

Italics for emphasis, because based on what you just said about the clip you're a big fan of seeing things your way.

Old
12-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
In the AHL

vCash: 242
Quote:
uh Ye it is.

play the body? body checking is legal in the game of hockey, for now. the player just released the puck, the only thing dirty about that play is his arm was close to the russians head.

Old
12-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Fabs

Quote:
1972 was another bright example of when Canada was losing and started to play real dirty. Holding down Tretiak for 30+ seconds in the corner (still counldnt' score with empty net), taking out Kharlamov... sometimes it actually works, but it's still playing dirty.
Because the Russian's were squeaky clean in that series. Kicking with the skate?

Old
12-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
In the AHL

Quote:
ever watch the nhl in the 70's?

Old
12-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Mynameismark*

Great thing about Canada is they can just go out there and beat any other nation any kinda way you want.

Sometimes, cheap things happen when you play rough.

Old
12-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Ryp37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
This is what I am talking about.
lol whats wrong with this? quit being soft

and what a dumb thing to say by yakupov hes just gonna fire the canadians up

Old
12-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Must be fun for so many here to vilify Team Canada. I feel like I am missing out.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTheBones109 View Post
The guy had the puck when Connolly reached him. I have no idea how you describe the clip that way except blatant homerism.

Moreover, people extend their arms (and, necessarily, hands) through their hits all the time. Standing a guy up at the blueline requires pushing him. You keep elbows down, but often push through the torso of the person you are hitting. That's what I'm saying: The motion that actually occurred isn't that far off a regular check, even though that is likely not what Connolly intended.

Italics for emphasis, because based on what you just said about the clip you're a big fan of seeing things your way.
i wasn't just talking about this hit, I was talking about the goons that play for Team Canada in some years who jump off the bench to stir **** up and use stupid tactics like this play where his arm WOUND WAY UP- clearly AIMING and impacting him closer to the head than the chest and was at full extension after.

That wasn't even a hit in any capacity, that was a blatant punch with intent to throw the guy off the skates and possibly hurt him.

Why don't we accelerate on skates and i'll turn and punch you (with FULL WIND UP and arm extension) the way he did - we'll see how SOFT it is and how well you can stand, especially when it's blindsided.

There is no way of justifying this dirt

Old
12-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
ever watch the nhl in the 70's?
is that supposed to make it OK?

Old
12-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
In the AHL

Quote:
i wasn't just talking about this hit, I was talking about the goons that play for Team Canada in some years who jump off the bench to stir **** up and use stupid tactics like this play where his arm WOUND WAY UP- clearly AIMING and impacting him closer to the head than the chest and was at full extension after.

That wasn't even a hit in any capacity, that was a blatant punch with intent to throw the guy off the skates and possibly hurt him.

Why don't we accelerate on skates and i'll turn and punch you (with FULL WIND UP and arm extension) the way he did - we'll see how SOFT it is and how well you can stand, especially when it's blindsided.

you werent talking about the hit?, then why were you quoting the guy in response to his view on the hit, and then change the subject?

Old
12-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
Because the Russian's were squeaky clean in that series. Kicking with the skate?
Because the Soviets were clearly known for being skate kickers , and could not have possibly been pushed to stand up for themselves (in whatever way they knew could hurt Canadians back) when the refs just ignored the aggression...

Old
12-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
In the AHL

Quote:
is that supposed to make it OK?
what was acceptable then and what was acceptable now is going to make every little play from the 70's appear dirty.

why you are even bringing up plays from 40 years ago is irrelevant.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:12 PM
RollTheBones109

Quote:

I said nothing about it being soft, or not blindsided. However, strictly speaking, you can't deny that people often extend their arms through a player's chest during a hit. There is no rule a hit can't be hard, and he clearly did not charge him or leave his feet or hit his head.

As I stated, though, it is strange the play was not penalized, as I think Connolly had intent to injure on a play that looked illegal full-speed.

I didn't say the play wasn't dirty based on what Connolly wanted to do, but rather what he managed to do is not a fair example of the barbarism of which people are accusing Canada in this thread.

Perhaps the ref, calling the play strictly occurring in front of him, got it right?

Old
12-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
you werent talking about the hit?, then why were you quoting the guy in response to his view on the hit, and then change the subject?

I obvioulsy wasn't JUST talking about this hit with what I said. But this is punch is in a way of an example where the Canadian player doesn't really care about the puck as much as to intimidate or hurt the player, whatever action it would require.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Godot
Justice is blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulleKing View Post
That's team canada, no doubt about it.
How would you know? Not like Finland is usually skilled enough to make Canada resort to playing dirty.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
In the AHL

Quote:
I obvioulsy wasn't JUST talking about this hit with what I said. But this is punch is in a way of an example where the Canadian player doesn't really care about the puck as much as to intimidate or hurt the player, whatever action it would require.
if he was just trying to hurt him, i doubt he would have turned his hips to punch him in the chest/neck/head, rather than just punch him in the side of the head as into really blindside him, or slewfoot him as he was coming behind him.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Jerkini

He'll have to keep a cool head and ignore provocations because he's a 5'10" little *****.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Nash

Yakupov is a great interviewee. The NHL media and fans will love him. His interview after the Canada game last year was fantastic. "We score more goals. We win Canada." Still makes me chuckle.

I have no problem with what he said. Canada does push the physical edge as far as possible. Most Europeans consider that dirty...so be it. They can piss and moan all day. There are aspects to international play we Canadians despise too. There is far more interference and picks, players often turn their back to you to draw penalties (this is an issue now at all levels, including the NHL), and the embellishment on marginal calls has carried over from soccer crazy nations.

Scotty Bowman used to make comments in the media about other teams and players all the time. When he did it, pundits considered it gamesmanship in attempting to focus the officiating on your opponent pre-match. I see no difference here. If it ends up with Russia getting even one extra powerplay, he did well.

If Team Canada wants to use it as inspiration to beat Russia, that's great too.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:

You know between the head and chest is a persons neck? Are you saying he hit him n the throat? Because that is VERY clearly upper chest.

You whine a lot about everything team Canada.... seems kinda soft.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:38 PM
craigcaulks*

I get the feeling we could send a squad of Lady Byng nominees and we'd still hear dirty this, dirty that...

But we can still enjoy another year of diving whiny Russians vs dirty unskilled Canadians, year 41.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Mr Writer

I get a kick out of all this... Ya, the Canadians walk the line and sometimes step over the line, but the Russians are as every bit capable of dirty play, vicious dirty play... ask the Swede in last year's world championship who was brutally attacked, viciously cross checked by Yemelin who broke his nose... but as we heard at the time Fransen deserved the broken nose. Maybe the young Russian who got stiff armed in last year's game deserved the shot...Keep it up people.. hockey is a tough game, if you can't hack it, don't play it...if you don't like to see black eyes and bruises, then I suggest curling is your game. check it out. Hockey is a man's game, not for cowards, not for the faint of heart... at least that was what the Russians were saying last year once Fransen got his broken nose.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

From the looks of two plays I saw on the highlights, the Canadians may have to be prepared for the dirty Russians on New Years Eve.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr writer View Post
i get a kick out of all this... Ya, the canadians walk the line and sometimes step over the line, but the russians are as every bit capable of dirty play, vicious dirty play... Ask the swede in last year's world championship who was brutally attacked, viciously cross checked by yemelin who broke his nose... But as we heard at the time fransen deserved the broken nose. Maybe the young russian who got stiff armed in last year's game deserved the shot...keep it up people.. Hockey is a tough game, if you can't hack it, don't play it...if you don't like to see black eyes and bruises, then i suggest curling is your game. Check it out. Hockey is a man's game, not for cowards, not for the faint of heart... At least that was what the russians were saying last year once fransen got his broken nose.
goon!!!

Closed Thread