HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canadians insist they won't dive to get calls

Old
12-29-2012, 02:35 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go

vCash: 500
Canadians insist they won't dive to get calls

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=412428

Quote:
UFA, RUSSIA Canada's players insist they will not dive to get calls even though the referees at the world junior hockey championship seem to be susceptible to such moves.

"Obviously, if you look at the logic, it might be the smart thing to do, but that's not what Canadian hockey is about," said forward JC Lipon. "We want to win fair."

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Claypool
Montreal is garbage.

Everyone dives. It doesn't matter where you're from.

Claypool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:37 PM
kp61c

ok, refs, take a note

kp61c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool View Post
Exactly.

Emerica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Zybalto

Personally, I'd like to see more simulation penalties from the refs and I agree that all nations have their share of divers.

What I HATE are players who fake injuries. There should be some sort of way to punish that behaviour.

Zybalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:44 PM
KulleKing*

What a joke. You just need to take a quick look at canadas favourite boy and you know the truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGDLOYNsjuc

So funny.

KulleKing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:47 PM
KareemTrustfund
Frig off Barb

Lipon must have missed Schiefele's dive last game...

KareemTrustfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:48 PM
BobDobolina

Not like those worthless Russians

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Big Phil

I hope they don't. Didn't care for Schiefele's yesterday. It certainly isn't the Canadian way to do it, or at least there was a time (maybe not this generation) where Canadians as a general rule wouldn't act like European soccer players. I always hope we don't score when there is a powerplay from a ridiculous dive. I honestly do. I never like it when we start taking the cue of Russian and European teams. We're supposed to be better than that.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Trotzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool View Post
Yupp, we should also not forget these people are still junior players.

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:59 PM
JackSlater

Too late for them to say that. Hopefully they mean they won't dive any in the upcoming games.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:00 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I hope they don't. Didn't care for Schiefele's yesterday. It certainly isn't the Canadian way to do it, or at least there was a time (maybe not this generation) where Canadians as a general rule wouldn't act like European soccer players. I always hope we don't score when there is a powerplay from a ridiculous dive. I honestly do. I never like it when we start taking the cue of Russian and European teams. We're supposed to be better than that.
"I never like it when we start diving like Euros"?

What the **** is this? Everyone dives.

shortshorts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:00 PM
fredligh

What drugs is Lipon on?

fredligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
"I never like it when we start diving like Euros"?

What the **** is this? Everyone dives.
As a general rule, yes, sad to say Canadians have copied the lead and are just as bad right now. There was a time when they weren't though, and I admired that more.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
As a general rule, yes, sad to say Canadians have copied the lead and are just as bad right now. There was a time when they weren't though, and I admired that more.
As a general rule I would agree that there was a time when Canadians did not really dive, at least not like they do today. Think of good Canadian boys like Wendel Clark and Doug Gilmour. Those guy would rather lose than dive.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:08 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

more from the same article:

Quote:
So what's a coach to do? Spott admits he's thought about giving his players the green light to embellish.

"We've talked about it as a staff. It's funny, we said, 'Maybe it's something we should start invoking with our players,' but all the Canadian young hockey players from the time they're five or six years of age to these guys now don't lie down. We'll always get up and drag ourselves off the ice."

Spott pointed out that Mark Scheifele was kneed by Branislav Rapac in the first period on Friday, but didn't stay down. He got up and skated slowly to the bench. "If Mark lies down it's a five-minute major," Spott said. The play resulted in a two-minute minor.

"That's not our game," said Portland Winterhawks winger Ty Rattie, who will fill Lipon's third-line role against the United States on Sunday. "If we get hit and we're not hurt then we get up. That's one of the first lessons my dad ever taught me when I was playing hockey."

"Some of the penalties were related to injury a little bit, but if you see one of our guys laying on the ice it would be a big surprise to me," said second-line centre Ryan Strome, who plays for the Niagara IceDogs in the OHL. "We're not going to do anything extra to draw penalties. We're going to get our penalties by working hard and moving our feet."
maybe none of them were actually watching the game?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:11 PM
fredligh

Quote:
Instead they targeted star players of opposing teams, worse then diving imo.

fredligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Nash

I loathe diving and embellishment, but when you see the officials calling it that way, while it is noble to say you won't do it, it is foolish to not partake. If Scheifele stays down like Mikus did after he got the knee on knee, I'm sure the IIHF officials would have conferenced and given Canada a 5 minute powerplay. The officiating isn't going to change overnight, so taking a stand on principle is stupid. It puts Canada at a disadvantage against teams that will exploit it. Embellishment has always been bad in international hockey, but players feigning injury seems worse this year than I can remember seeing in a recent tournament. I'm used to officials making a call and sticking to it. These conferences going on while the "injured" player talks with his team trainer are getting excessive. I'm just waiting for the day that some team's trainer brings out the miracle aerosol spray that always heals those poor soccer players that get carried off the field on stretchers.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:16 PM
jcbio11

I guess he missed the dives by his teammates in the last game.

Everyone dives, Canada is no better than any other hockey nation. Anyone who says so needs to get off their high horse.

Oh yeah I forgot - Canadians only do it because others do it as well

Either you dive, or you don't! And Canadians dive... (just like everyone else of course).

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredligh View Post
Instead they targeted star players of opposing teams, worse then diving imo.
I would say that diving is far worse; I cannot stand diving. On the other hand, if a player tries to injure another within the rules than it is all good. I used to love watching Scott Stevens, the old Phanuef in Calgary, and Bryan Marchment do bone crunching open ice hits.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I loathe diving and embellishment, but when you see the officials calling it that way, while it is noble to say you won't do it, it is foolish to not partake. If Scheifele stays down like Mikus did after he got the knee on knee, I'm sure the IIHF officials would have conferenced and given Canada a 5 minute powerplay. The officiating isn't going to change overnight, so taking a stand on principle is stupid. It puts Canada at a disadvantage against teams that will exploit it. Embellishment has always been bad in international hockey, but players feigning injury seems worse this year than I can remember seeing in a recent tournament. I'm used to officials making a call and sticking to it. These conferences going on while the "injured" player talks with his team trainer are getting excessive. I'm just waiting for the day that some team's trainer brings out the miracle aerosol spray that always heals those poor soccer players that get carried off the field on stretchers.
Man those pathetic European soccer players disgust me. The worst have got to be the Italians and the Spaniards. If hockey ever got to that point I would never watch another game.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Rexor

Seems like an obvious attempt to put more pressure on the refs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
Man those pathetic European soccer players disgust me. The worst have got to be the Italians and the Spaniards. If hockey ever got to that point I would never watch another game.
The worst are Catalans.

Rexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Bomber0104

If you look at the logic...hahah

It's true, you can't deny it.

Prisoner dilemma.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
I guess he missed the dives by his teammates in the last game.

Everyone dives, Canada is no better than any other hockey nation. Anyone who says so needs to get off their high horse.

Oh yeah I forgot - Canadians only do it because others do it as well

Either you dive, or you don't! And Canadians dive... (just like everyone else of course).
I would like to see a statistical analysis of the number of players that dive and the frequency. I also acknowledge that is would be pointless, time consuming and expensive.
The league could hire independent organizations to conduct the analysis over the course of the season or something.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:24 PM
LeafDangler

Diving and faking injuries are two different things. The ship has sailed on diving and it's now a part of the game for all nationalities.

Luckily the injury faking isn't as prevalent in NA hockey IMO. You see it all the time in the EPL, etc. Players stay down to force the refs hand and/or draw a card. Case in point Mikus yesterday. I think if you're hurt enough to lie on the ice, you're hurt enough to miss at least a shift. Tough thing to legislate though. How can you differentiate between broken ribs, wind knocked out and faking? Part of the problem with penalizing the result rather than the action.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote