HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Anyone else just not care...

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Nocashstyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
I enjoy the WJC more than regular season hockey. These kids are playing their butts off trying to impress scouts.
Agreed. I think it's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
That's why I hate these type of threads...

If someone doesn't like the tournament, let it drift. Don't watch. But by putting a negative spin on it you end up:

i) Minimizing what the kids and their families give up and how much they care - while you sit on your couch and drink eggnog by the Christmas Tree;
ii) Starting a regional battle - fans belittle each other.

No win in this type of thread. They have been done over and over again and I wish the Mods would shut them ALL down.
Seriously. I really don't understand what the point of this thread is. Clearly many posters on HF do care about the tournament. We enjoy watching each country's best U-20 players compete in a tournament. The OP is not going to find some "hidden" reason why some people watch the tournament; you either enjoy it, or you don't.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
There he is. Same old KevyD causing trouble on our valid and objective threads which help put an actual 'other side' to the TSN hype machine.

Our point (which you don't seem to be understanding) isn't that the hockey is bad, or that this tournament isn't worth watching (it is). The issue is with the massively disproportional fan worship for the tourney found in Canada, to the detriment of other, massively more prestigious international tournaments.

Canadians treat this and the Stanley Cup on almost equal grounds.

I'll tell you what should be important to Canadian sports fans: our men's national team making the World Cup of soccer, the Toronto Blue Jays bringing the World Series back across the border in a league dominated by big spending American clubs, Canada beating out Russia in the WHC (missing players and all). Sometimes I feel like these other things are completely forgotten in our fandom quest for WJC "glory" (when really, if we win gold, throw it on the pile...the pile exclusively seen and heard about by us).
Why should hockey fans care about soccer if they don't care for the sport? Baseball?

The WCs never hold the best Canadian players because 90% of them don't want to go or are still in the NHL playoffs.

No such thing in for the World Juniors. Kids leave their CHL, AHL, and NHL teams to play. It means a lot to them and thus means a lot to the fans.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Why should hockey fans care about soccer if they don't care for the sport? Baseball?

The WCs never hold the best Canadian players because 90% of them don't want to go or are still in the NHL playoffs.

No such thing in for the World Juniors. Kids leave their CHL, AHL, and NHL teams to play. It means a lot to them and thus means a lot to the fans.
The U20s are missing plenty of players every non lockout season. A lot of fans simply look past it because they like it for other reasons.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:50 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
There he is. Same old KevyD causing trouble on our valid and objective threads which help put an actual 'other side' to the TSN hype machine.

Our point (which you don't seem to be understanding) isn't that the hockey is bad, or that this tournament isn't worth watching (it is). The issue is with the massively disproportional fan worship for the tourney found in Canada, to the detriment of other, massively more prestigious international tournaments.

I'll tell you what should be important to Canadian sports fans: our men's national team making the World Cup of soccer, the Toronto Blue Jays bringing the World Series back across the border in a league dominated by big spending American clubs, Canada beating out Russia in the WHC (missing players and all). Sometimes I feel like these other things are completely forgotten in our fandom quest for WJC "glory" (when really, if we win gold, throw it on the pile...the pile exclusively seen and heard about by us).
Obviously, I struck a nerve. I ignored your thread and you felt the need to follow me here.

I think Nocashstyle summed the truth up nicely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocashstyle View Post
I think it's great.

I really don't understand what the point of this thread is. Clearly many posters on HF do care about the tournament. We enjoy watching each country's best U-20 players compete in a tournament. The OP is not going to find some "hidden" reason why some people watch the tournament; you either enjoy it, or you don't.
And if you don't like the WJR's, I am sure you can watch the NBA, the NFL or endless college sports. Just leave us to our silly, unimportant little tournament.
To Ed and CaptBran... Please feel free to do your own thing. I promise, we won't miss you at all!!!

Last edited by KevyD: 12-26-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old
12-26-2012, 10:55 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

And they are still miles behind what Canada brings to senior WC despite NHL playoffs.

Last edited by ficohok*: 12-26-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old
12-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
I enjoy hockey at any level. This tournament brings the best of the best juniors representing their countries. Is it hyped? Of course it is, so is the Superbowl and what do they actually play in that 60 minutes?

Honestly I get more enjoyment from watching these kids play their hearts out than I do watching a bunch of overpaid, overweight yahoos playing football.

After watching the live celebrations in Sweden last year, I think they have a few supporters too.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:14 AM
HavlatMach9

The competition is good and some are going to be future super stars in the NHL. I don't really care who wins (doesn't mean anything that some prospects won a medal) since it's held each year. It was good to see team Canada vs Ovechkin, then vs Malkin, Eberle being clutch. It's a fun tournament.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:15 AM
gretskidoo

It's just fun hockey in mostly meaningless games with top prospects going up against each other.

It's great!

Old
12-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretskidoo View Post
It's just fun hockey in mostly meaningless games with top prospects going up against each other.

It's great!
I wouldn't say meaningless. You see the jubilant look on those boys' faces when they win a medal. You watch those fans cheering their hearts out. You see people travelling from all over the world to come watch. That's not meaningless.

12-26-2012, 11:19 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
I really enjoy it. I get to see up and coming young players playing their hearts out without a big paycheck being dangled in front of them. It's refreshing. It obviously means a lot to the players and I have seen a lot of amazing games. It's not NHL calibre, but it's fast and competitive. It is the best players of that age group. Whereas World Championships is players that get knocked out of the playoffs before the conference finals, and even then some of the players beg off with "rest". I enjoy watching that too, but not as much as World Juniors.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:20 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
I wouldn't say meaningless. You see the jubilant look on those boys' faces when they win a medal. You watch those fans cheering their hearts out. You see people travelling from all over the world to come watch. That's not meaningless.
And as someone who went to the tournament in Buffalo, it is the best, most enjoyable vacation I ever had.
Let's not let the haters ruin it for us, it is something special.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:21 AM

I would rather watch it over the NHL.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:26 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I would rather watch it over the NHL.
Me too. Some posters sing the praises of the WC but I prefer the shorter, more concise format of the WJR's. It is 2 weeks of great, exciting hockey.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
I am not as excited this year. Just turned off of hockey completely. Also, I don't want to get up at 3 am to watch it.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Statsy

Nope. You're just plain wrong, EdTheSabresFan. Let's go over your points one at a time so I they can be deconstructed for the hogwash they are.

Quote:
Well, first of all, many people in this thread have said the hockey is bad (which not surprisingly I disagree with) and that it's not worth watching. I personally shake my head at these people who cleary just don't watch this tournament and really have no clue what they're talking about (This is my 22nd year of watching the WJC, by the way). As for the other prestigious tornaments, I can assure you, we watch them all. The WC probably less so than it deserves but anyone with the slightest idea about this topic knows the reason why the WC's are less popular here is because they've gone head to head against the NHL playoffs for so many years. Oh, and of course you realize that tournament has been held in North America once in over a hundred years?

Quote:
A) That's not true and B) if it was, so what? If we find it more entertaining, then we find it more entertaining. By the way the WJC isn't locked out at the moment. Never will be.

Quote:
Do you think for a second that this country wouldn't go crazy if those other things happen?! The problem is they actually have to happen before we can get behind them, dumbass! The men's soccer team is a disaster and the Women's team which did achieve success was given a hero's welcome. We support women's soccer like few other countries and that includes the soccer crazy countries. As for the Jays, have you been living in a freakin' cave the last three months?! Are you aware that there is pandemonium all over the country due to the Jays' recent acquisitions? As for the World Hockey Championships, well, we've already covered that territory. I can't possibly imagine why you think this is the only event we follow. Take your head out of your back side, the view's much better.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Living where I do, i rarely get to watch Prospects... so i love the WJC.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBrannigan View Post
...about the WJCs, or under-20 tournament (as the rest of the world calls it)? I'll try again this year, but I just don't get the love. I never understood how this tournament seems to take precedence over the real WCs.
You just summed up what I think of those ''real'' WC's. Pretty much don't give a crap about them.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBrannigan View Post
...about the WJCs, or under-20 tournament (as the rest of the world calls it)? I'll try again this year, but I just don't get the love. I never understood how this tournament seems to take precedence over the real WCs.

I don't know, maybe it's the sloppy play, or any of a number of factors, but this time of year I always feel terribly underwhelmed by it. I'm also interested that it seems to be a hockey-only phenomena, the "junior" World Cups that FIFA puts on aren't nearly as hyped and those are only every 4 years.

Only one who feels like this?
Someone from the united states not caring about hockey? Colour me shocked! Your last name wouldn't happen to be bettman, would it?

It's hockey - at Christmas. How can there be a 'wrong' here?

Old
12-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Statsy

Oh, and if anyone bothered to watch Russia versus Slovakia, which SHOULD have been a cake walk, then you got a glimpse of one of the real beauty aspects of this tournament. Crazy upsets! There is no way in hell Slovakia should have gotten that to Overtime, but they did. I'm not a fan of Slovakia and though Russia is my rival, to some degree, I generally don't care if they win or not. Yet by the end of that game I wasn't just on the Slovakian bandwagon, I was driving it!

This tournament can have that effect on people, for those that actually pay attention to it. And as for those who say they don't know any of the players, great job displaying your lack of knowledge about hockey!

Old
12-26-2012, 11:43 AM
luongo321

vCash: 50
I don't care for Team CAnada's coach.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Always loved it. Long before the "hype". Then again i love hockey.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:44 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
Oh, and if anyone bothered to watch Russia versus Slovakia...
It was great!

Old
12-26-2012, 11:44 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I love watching it - it's always the highlight of the holiday season.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:49 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:

didn't the Jays just outspend the AL East to try to contend?

anyways, why is watching Blue Jays baseball or a 2nd rate WHC more "important" than the World Jrs.?

the World Jrs. are popular for many reasons IMO:

1. Holiday season, people are more inclined to sit with family and friends to watch hockey
2. Ultra competitive. Beats the "dog days" of the NHL season...are you gonna watch a Stars-Blue Jackets game or Canada-Germany? Russia-Slovakia? Frankly, I love watching a balls-to-the-wall Canadian squad going for gold.
3. TSN Hype. Good or bad, they've sold this tourny....much like the American networks have sold NFL football every Sunday.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:52 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
didn't the Jays just outspend the AL East to try to contend?

anyways, why is watching Blue Jays baseball or a 2nd rate WHC more "important" than the World Jrs.?

the World Jrs. are popular for many reasons IMO:

1. Holiday season, people are more inclined to sit with family and friends to watch hockey
2. Ultra competitive. Beats the "dog days" of the NHL season...are you gonna watch a Stars-Blue Jackets game or Canada-Germany? Russia-Slovakia? Frankly, I love watching a balls-to-the-wall Canadian squad going for gold.
3. TSN Hype. Good or bad, they've sold this tourny....much like the American networks have sold NFL football every Sunday.
Yes. You are 100% right, LD.

EdThe Sock, who I am sure is a very nice fellow, just likes to argue - and he is good at it. I just wouldn't waste my time giving him the pleasure of playing the devil's advocate.

Closed Thread