HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Anyone else just not care...

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Arpeggio

vCash: 500
I think the pressure Canada puts on these kids is ridiculous. And most of the hype is manufactured by the media whether you want to admit it or not. Still fun to watch it, I just wish everybody watching would take it a bit less seriously. We don't need to be picking on 19 y/o for every mistake they make.

Old
12-26-2012, 01:11 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Some of the most entertaining hockey has happened the past few years.

Canada-Russia 2009
Canada-Russia 2011
Canada-Russia 2012
Canada-USA 2010 (Both games)
Canada-USA 2004
Canada-USA 2007

Just some really outstanding games with more passion than you get just about anywhere.
I'd love to see that gold medal 2010 game again, with the intermission broadcasts, unfortunately because of the way Canada lost TSN and ESPN classic are unlikely to replay it.

Old
12-26-2012, 01:18 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
I'd love to see that gold medal 2010 game again, with the intermission broadcasts, unfortunately because of the way Canada lost TSN and ESPN classic are unlikely to replay it.
I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy who has a copy.

He will charge you tho.

Old
12-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
It was on NHL network but they did their own broadcast so no Tsn coverage.

Old
12-26-2012, 01:19 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
As you said to me, you don't need to be here.
You are a smart kid and this post is beneath you.

Old
12-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I know near to nothing about the prospects so I watch it to learn about them as it's nearly the only chance I get of seeing them.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:08 PM
LeafDangler

I've been turned off of the tournament for a few years mostly due to the ridiculous TSN over hype and the advertisements portraying it as a life or death struggle.

That said, I've recently made an effort to get my coverage from Internet sources not TSN except for the games. IMO it has great entertainment value because its passionate, sloppy hockey. Lots of mistakes means means scoring chances and anything can happen in a short tournament. It's kind of why I prefer to watch QMJHL hockey rather than AHL or CIS.

I still think way too much emphasis is placed on it from a scouting and overall national hockey perspective but that doesn't mean I don't look forward to it every year.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

It's my favourite hockey to watch all year. I really enjoy it. The hype can get crazy but it's yielded some of the most exciting hockey games we've had the pleasure of watching.

Oh, I'm right and you're wrong, so there. Am I doing this thread right?

Old
12-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Hanji

I find it fascinating that a country's sense of self, collectivity and pride is attached to the play of a bunch of teenagers.
An study or analysis would make for a great sociology term paper.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Tomas W

On a personal level it's simply really interesting to see all up and coming players. It's the future hockey stars playing here.

Sure the quality of hockey isnt the same as a senior tournament. But the intensity and entertainment quality is there, which is important for casual viewers. I think people in Sweden has realized how fun it is the watch these games, high speed and a lot of unpredictable plays (since the tactic skills isnt always that polished).

Old
12-26-2012, 03:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
I like it because we get to see prospects get prime time coverage whereas the rest of the year we never see them at all. Especially the European teams.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
BECAUSE ITS NOT INTERNATIONALLY RESPECTED. It's not cared about OUTSIDE CANADA. The importance, whether you choose to accept it or not, comes from international knowledge and support. The World Cup of Soccer is the primeval archetype of this logical reasoning. The closer you get to the World Cup in terms of fan support and relative parity, the better your tournament is from an international perspective. The WHC is the closest thing hockey currently has to that (outside Olympic winter hockey).

World juniors: not even close.
Well I live in Canada, and I love it. Couldn't care less what other countries think of it. I watch for my own enjoyment. As long as enough people care to fill up the stadium in the big games I am happy.

Not sure why so many want to try and bring it down, but if it makes you feel better about yourself then keep making threads guys, doesn't change my love for the tourney.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:11 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
It was on NHL network but they did their own broadcast so no Tsn coverage.
It was on TSN in Canada. Gord Miller was doing some of the commetary and Pierre McGuire was going nuts.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:11 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
It's a good tornament with good prospects that have produced some great games.

And to that Sabres fan who was talking about the Blue Jays or the national soccer team... Not sure how that has any relevance on a hockey site.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
It's my favourite hockey to watch all year. I really enjoy it. The hype can get crazy but it's yielded some of the most exciting hockey games we've had the pleasure of watching.

Oh, I'm right and you're wrong, so there. Am I doing this thread right?
I look forward to these couple weeks for months before they start. Thats all anyone needs ot know about how I feel. Don't miss a game, no matter what!.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:12 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

i just find the world championships hard to take seriously as a north american when guys like christian hanson is making the national team.

at least in the world juniors you tend to see the best of that age group, up and coming future stars. i hadnt seen barkov until recently.

with the lack of the nhl im more intrigued this year. pretty much watching every game televised.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:16 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

I don't care if others like it or not. It has little to no relivance in the states and I find it boring. Outside of forums, I've never even heard of another person talking about the tournament. It just doesn't exist to most people, even most hockey fans around here. I'd rather fantasize about real hockey being played.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
I look forward to these couple weeks for months before they start. Thats all anyone needs ot know about how I feel. Don't miss a game, no matter what!.
Same here, I love it. I don't really care if other people don't understand it or dislike it. Heck, I look forward to Boxing Day more than Christmas Day.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:19 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
It really shouldn't be hard to understand when March Madness is essentially the exact same thing.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:22 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post
I don't care if others like it or not. It has little to no relivance in the states and I find it boring. Outside of forums, I've never even heard of another person talking about the tournament. It just doesn't exist to most people, even most hockey fans around here. I'd rather fantasize about real hockey being played.
i think its just relevant to hockey in the states in general, aside from original 6 fan bases, just doesn't hold much significance at all, went to peter forsberg's jersey retirement opening night last year and every stranger i met that i talked to in the streets of denver had no clue, and were more interested in the broncos and the air force.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Swedish Mafia
Baby got Backstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
It really shouldn't be hard to understand when March Madness is essentially the exact same thing.
Came here to say this^

Old
12-26-2012, 03:23 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I disagree given the fact that Canada and the US have to beg their players to attend.
Not a certain player they said no too (he is playing for Canada at the Spengler too)

Hockey Canada and TSN just need to change the way they present the tournament to players and people

Old
12-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Same here, I love it. I don't really care if other people don't understand it or dislike it. Heck, I look forward to Boxing Day more than Christmas Day.
I'm the exact same way. I even had friends over for the game... at 4AM!!

Old
12-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Swedish Mafia
Baby got Backstrom

Quote:
Yo patmac40, wanna grab a beer and watch the american game?

Old
12-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Yup, pretty much this.

/thread

Closed Thread