HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

LeBrun: 10 ways to recover from lockout

Old
12-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
#9 has been beaten to death. European expansion is completely logistically unfeasible with an 82-game schedule. You would be competing with strong, established brands on the continent, and don't even get me started on the travel burden of going halfway around the world to Moscow. Hell, the Moscow teams in the KHL can't draw flies: the combined attendance of Vityaz, Spartak, CSKA, and Dinamo last season was roughly 12,400, an average of about 3,100 fans per team which is less than any of the 30 AHL teams as of this posting. The only teams that draw anything resembling NHL-caliber attendance are SC Bern and Eisbaren Berlin, and I seriously doubt the people who attend those games would pay €40 or more apiece. On top of that, we've already seen how disastrous Europe's attempt at international club competition was - hockey fans in Stockholm are far, far more interested in watching teams from Karlstad than Prague. The players would hate the travel, the owners would hate the financial strain, and TV providers would hate the game times. How can you market a 7 AM hockey game between San Jose and Moscow? If it were in San Jose, there would be no viewers in Moscow, and if it were in Moscow, there would be no viewers in NorCal.
LeBrun isn't talking about expansion into Europe, he is talking about moving the six financially weakest teams there, relocation.

Quote:
I'd move my six weakest NHL markets to Europe and create a European division. I know people will laugh when reading this, but I’m dead serious. Unlike some southern U.S. markets, you don’t have to explain the icing rule to folks in Helsinki, Stockholm, Prague, Zurich, Berlin and Moscow. They love and know the game there. I know there are travel issues that make this less than perfectly ideal, but it’s worth it.
He is likely correct from a financial perspective in that the Euro teams (if properly located) would probably perform better on the balance sheet than many US teams do currently. It would also enhance the game's international appeal and bring additional cachet to the league; this is perhaps difficult for some to grasp though given that Americans seem to mainly follow domestic US leagues. The relocation of the six financially weakest franchises would additionally serve to actually grow the game - versus the weak US teams which are essentially at present clearly just contracting the game from a financial standpoint.

Last edited by Gump Hasek: 12-26-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:19 PM
stingo

vCash: 500
Does it bug anyone else that in #10 Lebrun writes "right about know" instead of "right about now."

Fix it, Lebrun.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:26 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
Does it bug anyone else that in #10 Lebrun writes "right about know" instead of "right about now."

Fix it, Lebrun.
It didn't bug me, but now it does a little.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:27 PM
reckoning

Does anyone know exactly how much money the league makes from Centre Ice? With more potential for ad revenue, along with more exposure leading to increased fan interest, it might be a risk worth taking.

Not to mention that it would be a nice goodwill gesture. I don't think writing "Thank You Fans" on the ice is going to be enough.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:28 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

#1: Just make Game Center free. They need to make some sort of money, but free game center for everyone would definitely get people interested. I remember earlier this year MLB.tv had a discount price for two months and I bought it, it was so great because I could keep up with the good matchups or important games (Or listen to a little Vin Scully)... Made watching Baseball that much more incredible for me. I think it'd work just as easy for a free or heck even a severely discounted Game Center.

#2: Biased against it because I hate the proposed realignment and refiguring of the playoffs (I love the playoffs as is). If they come up with a decent realignment then I'd be more inclined to say yes, but this is just personal preference.

#3: Won't work. It worked in baseball because their postseason is the shortest of the big four, not to mention they can play back to back days without any significant wear and tear. NHL Playoffs are already dynamite. No need to fix what's not broken

#4: Not sure what to think of it. As a fan, heck yes. As for practicality... It'd be hard to implement... Don't think owners would like that frequent having to put the season on pause...

#5: I'd be down with that. Ironic that the Red Wings and Ducks actually "unofficially" tested this out last year. Quite the OT... Still picking out the gray hairs...

#6: Yes. Absolutely Yes.

#7-#8: Yes... Sort of... Not as LeBrun puts it, but make FA early. There was just a period deadness that annoyed me when the draft ended and we were waiting for FA to begin. Making it right after the Draft saves fans some grief... Making the GMs stay an extra couple of days though is kind of inconvenient, however...

#9: The Practicality of this idea is terrible. I get Hockey is huge in Europe... But seriously... Having to watch hockey games in the wee hours of the morning because the Wings are playing some team in Germany or Russia? Yuck.... Think of all the traveling that has to be done....

#10: I wish... I doubt the owners go for it though... They should just shoot for 10 years, which is more realistic...

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
LeBrun is right, I think, about going to Europe. Teams in Sweden, Czech Republic, Russia and Germany would have national markets, including TV contracts. This gives them a pretty advantagous postion for branding and merchandising.

I think the NHL should shorten the season to seventy as well as go to a single series playoff format. Division winners play seven games for the cup.

With a shorter season they could go to a ten minute overtime, with no point awarded if no result is achieved.
I think they have diminished the value of the Cup enough already. Making it easier to win will further erode its lore. Besides the league is run completely on gate revenue. Reducing the numbers of games would just reduce revenue from the only stream that the league draws from.

Capsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:32 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
The relocation of the six financially weakest franchises would additionally serve to actually grow the game - versus the weak US teams which are essentially at present clearly just contracting the game from a financial standpoint.
"Grow the game"? I thought the whole premise of this idea is that these countries are so "hockey crazy", that they would pay 5x-10x more money than they do now to watch NHL hockey? Surely if this was the case, there would be no "growing" needed? Unless, you mean growing it in other places...which...I don't see people in Kenya caring much because we relocated a team from Florida to Frolunda.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:44 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
#1: Just make Game Center free. They need to make some sort of money, but free game center for everyone would definitely get people interested. I remember earlier this year MLB.tv had a discount price for two months and I bought it, it was so great because I could keep up with the good matchups or important games (Or listen to a little Vin Scully)... Made watching Baseball that much more incredible for me. I think it'd work just as easy for a free or heck even a severely discounted Game Center.
Yeah, I don't get why the NHL doesn't do that to begin with. I can't afford it for the whole year, but I'd pay 20-30 bucks to see all the games down the stretch.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
#8 and #9 are particularly terrible.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
Besides the league is run completely on gate revenue.
Then there shouldn't be blackouts on Centre Ice.

Old
12-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Pepper

European division JUST DOESNT WORK. Read this and repeat it 10 times.

People in NA need to understand what drives the European hockey, it's historical rivalries. In Helsinki it's the "labour class" Jokerit vs. the "uptown" HIFK that draws the highest attendances, does anyone really care about Jokerit playing against some team from Berlin? Hell no.

European division would need MASSIVE revenue sharing (30M+ per team) from NA NHL teams and that won't happen, even Blue Jackets and Yotes have revenues multiple times that of any non-KHL team in Europe.

It's a non-starter, really.

Otherwise LeBrun has some good ideas.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 05:42 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...1471--nhl.html
Puck Daddy's response to LeBrun's 10 ideas, with five of his own (stealing a few, including free NHL Center Ice).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 05:56 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I am pro-Euro expansion. Or, alternately, pro-NA expansion of the KHL.

Are you saying that I "know nothing about hockey and how it actually works"?
I would like to see it how that would work

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 06:07 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...1471--nhl.html
Puck Daddy's response to LeBrun's 10 ideas, with five of his own (stealing a few, including free NHL Center Ice).
Another worthless article from Wyshynski. Jokes and brainless ideas, wheeeeeeeeeeeeee.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 07:43 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

When did Lebrun start writing like a 7th grader:
"Letís look ahead to the moment when this abominable, revolting and shameful NHL lockout finally ends."
1- Giveaway Center Ice for a year
-- Never happen. Owners are too greedy.
2- Realignment
-- should be part of CBA discussion
3- Play-in playoff round
-- Stupid idea.
4- World Clup
-- Sure. Why not?
5- 3 on 3 OT
-- Stupid idea. Fans love the shootout. Why prolong the game with more bastardized hockey?
6. No Hockey past May 31
-- Who cares? Not me.
7. Change UFA start
-- July 1 is a great day to start.No good reason to change it.
8. All 30 GMs together for Trade Deadline
-- Stupid idea. It's a already a failure as a "media event."
9. Teams in Euripe
-- Yep. ASAP. We need a Euro Division before the KHL has a North American division.
10. 20-year CBA with only mutual opt outs.
-- Lebrun is ridiculous.
Quote:
I would think 20 years of labor peace sounds pretty good to everybody who cares about this game right about know.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:07 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
With arenas that have a capacity of 12k-13k, there is no way teams in European cities can generate the $90M in revenue it will take to have a NHL team, even with maximum revenue sharing.
But Winnipeg did it! Just raise your average ticket prices fivefold and you'll be fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
LeBrun isn't talking about expansion into Europe, he is talking about moving the six financially weakest teams there, relocation.
You still run into the same problems: brutal travel, awful scheduling for TV, lack of proper infrastructure, and competition against an existing and culturally entrenched clubs in potential markets. The NHL would basically have six more Phoenix ordeals on their hands, and by year 10, all of those teams would be looking to get back into the US and Canada.

The only league that could make a good run at Europe is the NFL, because their scheduling allows games to be on their standard schedule in the States while being in primetime in most European markets. (For instance, a game between the New York Giants and Frankfurt Galaxy could be set for a 7 PM local kickoff and be on at 1 PM on the East Coast.)

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:03 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Also Europe has different labor laws than the US and Canada when it comes to collective bargaining I believe.

Also 3-on-3 ot is a terrible idea. Just as gimmicky as shootout IMO because it rare, rarely happens in a game. Just expand OT to 10 minutes, no need to drop more skaters.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Fat Jughead

These are just wishes. Nothing realistically attainable:

1. Canada Cup inter-provincial style would be the cat's ass. Infinitely better entertainment than some boring preseason games that nobody wants to pay for anyway. I guarantee the whole Canadian hockey world would be all about a tournament like that, and more importantly, we'd pay top dollar to watch it.

2. Shorten the reg. season significantly. There's at least a dozen games a year where my team is completely gassed and absolutely mails it in. I could do without paying for that ****.

3. This one's kinda wacky, but I'd like to see them separate the benches again on opposite sides of the ice. Except offset each bench to the same side of center ice, and make it so the away team has the long change twice a game and the home team only has it once. Just my goofy idea to create a real tangible home ice advantage. Last change doesn't mean jack **** over the course of a game. I don't really care if it's unfair; my team should win at home EVERY FRICKIN NIGHT!!! ...or at least every night that I'm there. Tickets ain't cheap and I demand satisfaction

Do-able ones:

1. Never thought I'd say it, but I want Burkie style round nets. Composite sticks aren't going anywhere, so neither are the goalies ridiculously oversized gear. Something has to give, so the nets gotta go.

2. I like the eye in the sky ref idea. He doesn't have to be able to make calls from upstairs. Just be in contact with the on ice ref(s), to let them know what they're missing and what to start looking out for. You could probably go back to 1 on ice ref with the eye in the sky. Too many bodies out there already as it is.

3. Realignment. Make it happen. And use the old division names, cuz I'm old and that's how I likes it.

Last edited by Fat Jughead: 12-26-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Bucky_Hoyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xref View Post
Too much travel, not enough chocolates on the hotel pillows. NHLPA will reject it, like they rejected re-alignment.
I think the NHLPA rejected the re-alignment proposal because it frankly sucked, not because they wanted to 'stick it' to the NHLBOG.

Re-alignment will have to happen eventually as there are 'moving parts' in the league and definitely will be more after this lock-out ends. But it is wise to say it will not happen until said 'moving parts' are more clearly identified.

Bucky_Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:12 PM
MoreOrr
B4

I know it's not a realignment thread, but it was mentioned as one of LeBrun's ideas, so I'd like to toss in a new one I thought of, definitely something that would change things up and perhaps ignite a bit of interest in these new Divisions:

Western ConferenceEastern Conference
DIVISION AWDIVISION AE
VancouverNY Rangers
San JoseOttawa
PhoenixTampa Bay
ColoradoWashington
WinnipegBoston
DIVISION BWDIVISION BE
AnaheimNY Islanders
EdmontonToronto
MinnesotaFlorida
St LouisColumbus
DetroitPhiladelphia
DIVISION CWDIVISION CE
Los AngelesNew Jersey
CalgaryBuffalo
DallasMontreal
NashvilleCarolina
ChicagoPittsburgh

Still keeps the EAST - WEST format, but doing a kind of MLB/NFL format with the Divisions. The problem would be the names.
So as not to personally turn it into an alignment thread, I'll make an effort not to personally comment more on it.
Not something that I really think is great, but it is different, reasonably fair, and I think interesting.

Last edited by MoreOrr: 12-26-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old
12-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

No gimmick or trick or realignment is going to recover us from the lockout any better than the very simple solution I provided in the second post of this thread.

Play quality hockey, an avoid further labor disputes. That's all the fans expect of the relationship between the league and the union, and as long as theat is the case, any "damage" to the NHL is very likely to be minor and temporary. Easily recovered from once the product hits the ice again.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:25 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
No gimmick or trick or realignment is going to recover us from the lockout any better than the very simple solution I provided in the second post of this thread.

Play quality hockey, an avoid further labor disputes. That's all the fans expect of the relationship between the league and the union, and as long as theat is the case, any "damage" to the NHL is very likely to be minor and temporary. Easily recovered from once the product hits the ice again.
Well the quality hockey can be demonstrated immediately, once play begins. And certainly that would be the best remedy.
As for avoiding further labor lockouts, the fans would need to wait to see about that; unless the League and players could manage to come up with a formula to directly state to the fans that future lockouts won't happen because such and such a formula will be used until a deal is established. What such a formula would be, which wouldn't disadantage one side or the other during the negotiation time, I can't imagine what it could be.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:45 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
I know it's not a realignment thread, but it was mentioned as one of LeBrun's ideas, so I'd like to toss in a new one I thought of, definitely something that would change things up and perhaps ignite a bit of interest in these new Divisions:

DIVISION AWDIVISION AE
VancouverNY Rangers
San JoseOttawa
PhoenixTampa Bay
ColoradoWashington
WinnipegBoston
DIVISION BWDIVISION BE
AnaheimNY Islanders
EdmontonToronto
MinnesotaFlorida
St LouisColumbus
DetroitPhiladelphia
DIVISION CWDIVISION CE
Los AngelesNew Jersey
CalgaryBuffalo
DallasMontreal
NashvilleCarolina
ChicagoPittsburgh

Still keeps the EAST - WEST format, but doing a kind of MLB/NFL format with the Divisions. The problem would be the names.
So as not to personally turn it into an alignment thread, I'll make an effort not to personally comment more on it.
Not something that I really think is great, but it is different, reasonably fair, and I think interesting.
Why don't you change the east west format to a north south format instead? Why not require Boston to travel to Vancouver? Why not let Toronto be in a division with the Avalanche.
Your geography is ridiculous..... You might want to look at a map.
Do You have any idea of the idea of how far the travel is in your Dallas, Nashville, chicago, Calgary Anaheim?

and your division Bw..... has teams in the eastern, pacific and central time zone....

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Bucky_Hoyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Joe Corvo View Post
These are just wishes. Nothing realistically attainable:

1. Canada Cup inter-provincial style would be the cat's ass. Infinitely better entertainment than some boring preseason games that nobody wants to pay for anyway. I guarantee the whole Canadian hockey world would be all about a tournament like that, and more importantly, we'd pay top dollar to watch it.

2. Shorten the reg. season significantly. There's at least a dozen games a year where my team is completely gassed and absolutely mails it in. I could do without paying for that ****.

3. This one's kinda wacky, but I'd like to see them separate the benches again on opposite sides of the ice. Except offset each bench to the same side of center ice, and make it so the away team has the long change twice a game and the home team only has it once. Just my goofy idea to create a real tangible home ice advantage. Last change doesn't mean jack **** over the course of a game. I don't really care if it's unfair; my team should win at home EVERY FRICKIN NIGHT!!! ...or at least every night that I'm there. Tickets ain't cheap and I demand satisfaction

Do-able ones:

1. Never thought I'd say it, but I want Burkie style round nets. Composite sticks aren't going anywhere, so neither are the goalies ridiculously oversized gear. Something has to give, so the nets gotta go.

2. I like the eye in the sky ref idea. He doesn't have to be able to make calls from upstairs. Just be in contact with the on ice ref(s), to let them know what they're missing and what to start looking out for. You could probably go back to 1 on ice ref with the eye in the sky. Too many bodies out there already as it is.

3. Realignment. Make it happen. And use the old division names, cuz I'm old and that's how I likes it.
Lots of ideas to ponder but probably just more 'copy' for LeBrun than any real and practical thought put into changing the game.

Re-alignment is a no-brainer and others I see with 'some' feasibility are:

Challenge Play. 1 per game, per team asking for instant video review on a specific play that can be rescinded. Have an eye-in-the sky cam like they do for goal judges.

Suspensions. Especially for late hits/dangerous conduct on ice. Concussions are crippling the game and it has to be curbed as best as possible. Maybe even matching time off for the culprit or not being paid or even booting them out of the league. No Union = no guaranteed salary during suspensions.

Overtime. Has become a gimmick since the whole 4 on 4 idea came through all those years ago. Personally, I liked Win/Loss/Tie stats and am tired of 3-point games. 5-10 minutes of regular 5 on 5 OT was fine. Not likely they revert back to WLT (as it has helped pad declining goal stats) but I think OT will be re-visited in some way, hopefully not with even more gimmicky crap like 3 on 3 or maybe they just call tie after 3 periods? Personally, I would love it if they had a full 4th period of sudden-death. Probably would discourage teams gunning for ties.

Net Sizes. Probably no change for now but considering drop-off in goals (even with gimmicks like OT padding goal stats) maybe it is time to look at widening them a little bit. Equipment has evolved for players and the game is much faster than 30 years ago. Pitchers mounds have changed, 3-point lines have been established and moved. Red and Blue lines have been adjusted in the NHL too. Let's increase nets to match increase in goalie padding and see if goal numbers increase a bit.

International Play. Winter Olympics is closest thing to a true World Cup for hockey. Best exposure the game gets internationally. Yes, it extends a season but dump the ASG or Winter Classic those years. IMHO, no one cares about the ASG and it seems to get dropped every 8 years now anyway due to labor disputes :-). Maybe dump ASG all-together or put it on at the end of the year like the NFL does and mix ASG with Awards as no one cares about the Awards either.

Season length. Again, not likely to be changed. Would have preferred it never went to 82 and unlikely to reduce but at least re-tweaked for start/finish times. Training Camp/Preseason Sept. 1st - Sept 30th. Reg. Season Oct 1st - Mar 31st. Playoffs April 1st - May 31st. Max of 8 pre-season games. Reg season would mean 13.66 games per team/month. Reg Season could end mid-April and playoffs mid-June in Olympic years as it already does now.

Labor Negotiations. Assuming bargaining remains collective, set for 8 year intervals with a set negotiation window (end of year 6 to end of year 7). Have agreement Auto-renew unless new arrangement is made by end of negotiation window. AND, instigate that there will be NO WORK STOPPAGES going forward by either players or owners.

Bucky_Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:52 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post

DIVISION AWDIVISION AE
VancouverNY Rangers
San JoseOttawa
PhoenixTampa Bay
ColoradoWashington
WinnipegBoston
DIVISION BWDIVISION BE
AnaheimNY Islanders
EdmontonToronto
MinnesotaFlorida
St LouisColumbus
DetroitPhiladelphia
DIVISION CWDIVISION CE
Los AngelesNew Jersey
CalgaryBuffalo
DallasMontreal
NashvilleCarolina
ChicagoPittsburgh

One of the worst realignment proposals I've ever seen

I personally like having 4 8-team divisions and divisional playoffs. I grew up with that in the 80s ... when divisions meant something.

Smythe
1 Vancouver
2 Edmonton
3 Calgary
4 Winnipeg
5 Minnesota
6 Chicago
7 Detroit
8 Colorado

Patrick
1 Philly
2 Pittsburgh
3 Columbus
4 Washington
5 Carolina
6 Florida
7 Tampa

Adams
1 Montreal
2 Ottawa
3 Toronto
4 Boston
5 Buffalo
6 Rangers
7 Islanders
8 Devils

Norris
1 San Jose
2 Los Angeles
3 Anaheim
4 Phoenix
5 Dallas
6 St. Louis
7 Nashville

I'd prefer the divisions go back to their old names, too. Smythe, Patrick, Adams and Norris.

Last edited by RedWingsNow*: 12-26-2012 at 11:00 PM.
RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote