HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Not a big TGO fan...

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2005, 07:06 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Not a big TGO fan...

he was my favorite player in the 80s. My first opportunity, in 1980, I bought a bunch of packs of hockey cards (Topps, unfortunately, not O-Pee-Chee). Got the TGO rookie card and immediately put it in plastic - not sure why, but I did. Barely saw him play, being relegated to channel 9 hockey for most of the 80s, but saw his name everyday in the papers, and every chance I got to see him, I was in awe. The 90s were a different story, as cable does wonders for a guy. TGO eventually became old to me, and was more and more a whiner. Eventually he became an owner and prior to that, the distinguished Bruce McNall's good friend. We know where Bruce is. TGO, I'm sure, carefully picks his friends because people of his stature likely doesn't walk around claiming a lot of people to be good friends and business associates. So today, I see this quote:

'Gretzky has too much class and too much respect for the game to ever say so publicly, but he was surely burning inside as he left New York on Saturday night'. He's an owner. It's not class, it's continuing his stance of being an owner. No owner has flown off the handle and gone against Bettman, or other owners. VAN makes money...think they're happy as their club's being sold? Dolan makes money, think he's happy or cares about a cap? What, I guess all these guys have class than. Sorry, I'm just not into the TGO butt kissing. Saw him his last season in NY, and thought for sure he should've retired a year earlier. He was a distraction to the entire organization.

Old
02-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
he was my favorite player in the 80s. My first opportunity, in 1980, I bought a bunch of packs of hockey cards (Topps, unfortunately, not O-Pee-Chee). Got the TGO rookie card and immediately put it in plastic - not sure why, but I did. Barely saw him play, being relegated to channel 9 hockey for most of the 80s, but saw his name everyday in the papers, and every chance I got to see him, I was in awe. The 90s were a different story, as cable does wonders for a guy. TGO eventually became old to me, and was more and more a whiner. Eventually he became an owner and prior to that, the distinguished Bruce McNall's good friend. We know where Bruce is. TGO, I'm sure, carefully picks his friends because people of his stature likely doesn't walk around claiming a lot of people to be good friends and business associates. So today, I see this quote:

'Gretzky has too much class and too much respect for the game to ever say so publicly, but he was surely burning inside as he left New York on Saturday night'. He's an owner. It's not class, it's continuing his stance of being an owner. No owner has flown off the handle and gone against Bettman, or other owners. VAN makes money...think they're happy as their club's being sold? Dolan makes money, think he's happy or cares about a cap? What, I guess all these guys have class than. Sorry, I'm just not into the TGO butt kissing. Saw him his last season in NY, and thought for sure he should've retired a year earlier. He was a distraction to the entire organization.
Why was TGO a whiner to you?

And he had 62 points in his final year. And he led the team in scoring. How did that hurt the team?

Old
02-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Fletch

Do you remember that season?

When I get the opportunity, I base my opinion off things other than stats. He was horrible that season. He'd get checked, fall to the ice, and whine to the refs, instead of getting back into the play. His 9 goals were pitiful. His assists were largely a result of other people's hard work, as TGO didn't work hard. Savard outplayed him significantly. In fact, when Savard came up, his wingers did much better with him than they did with TGO. Maybe you have a different perspective on the 97-98 season, but, in all respects, especially when it came to TGO, it was quite pitiful.

Old
02-21-2005, 07:55 PM
in the hall

Quote:

Sounds like you just do not like TGO off that last comment. I also don't see TGO as an owner. I believe he cares more about the game that made him "the great one" then the money he's getting paid for owning a franchise.

Old
02-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Fletch

It's been building..

I don't stash away reason why I don't like a person as I rather not fill my head with that, but frustrations do build. Because he's Canada's son and God's gift to hockey, he's Teflon Wayne...immune to criticism and the answer to all questions. Wish I could be more concrete, but very often my guts more correct than what I can wrtie on a piece of paper.

Caring about the game and the money go hand-in-hand. Without the game, there's no money. Money's larger than the game for he and Mario, I'm pretty sure of that. They didn't become this wealthy not thinking that.

Old
02-22-2005, 10:25 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Fletch,

Are you sure your ire shouldn't be directed more at the fawning media and fans than at Gretzky?

I have a very good friend who knows him and says Gretzky's a real gentleman. Of course, my friend thinks I'm one, so I can't vouch for his judgment.

Old
02-22-2005, 10:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Are you sure your ire shouldn't be directed more at the fawning media and fans than at Gretzky?

I have a very good friend who knows him and says Gretzky's a real gentleman. Of course, my friend thinks I'm one, so I can't vouch for his judgment.
Gretzky = Gentleman
klingsor = Gentleman

THEREFORE

klingsor = Gretzky?

Old
02-22-2005, 10:35 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I don't stash away reason why I don't like a person as I rather not fill my head with that, but frustrations do build. Because he's Canada's son and God's gift to hockey, he's Teflon Wayne...immune to criticism and the answer to all questions. Wish I could be more concrete, but very often my guts more correct than what I can wrtie on a piece of paper.

Caring about the game and the money go hand-in-hand. Without the game, there's no money. Money's larger than the game for he and Mario, I'm pretty sure of that. They didn't become this wealthy not thinking that.
I really don't think Wayne's in the owner's game because of $, I just don't 'buy' it Fletch Seriously, Gretz is a Zen type guy. Yeah, the last few years he was a primadonna, but he earned the right to act that way, IMO.

Old
02-22-2005, 11:54 AM
Fletch

Never said he wasn't a gentleman...

and I hear you Bluenote...but the guy, for some reason, rubs me the wrong way. Actually, any guy that rubs me would be in the wrong way for that matter.

Good deduction SBOB...get klingsor's IP address for positive identification. I knew klingsor was planted here.

Old
02-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Gretzky = Gentleman
klingsor = Gentleman

THEREFORE

klingsor = Gretzky?

Both are quite high falutin' so we might have something there.

In that case

Klingsor's Wyf = Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Already knew she must be a saint for putting up with him!

Old
02-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
When I get the opportunity, I base my opinion off things other than stats. He was horrible that season. He'd get checked, fall to the ice, and whine to the refs, instead of getting back into the play. His 9 goals were pitiful. His assists were largely a result of other people's hard work, as TGO didn't work hard. Savard outplayed him significantly. In fact, when Savard came up, his wingers did much better with him than they did with TGO. Maybe you have a different perspective on the 97-98 season, but, in all respects, especially when it came to TGO, it was quite pitiful.
I don't remember anyone saying that about him. But it's nice to hear a new opinion.

Old
02-23-2005, 10:20 AM
JCProdigy

I'm not gonna complain about his last season here. Did he play too long by one season? Probably, but most great one's (pun intended) do.

....and rather then whining, I viewed it as valid complaints that Gretz had with all the clutching and grabbing going on.

Old
02-23-2005, 11:23 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
klingsor = Gretzky?
Nope, I'm actually Sean Connery:

''Connery's appearance and behavior was that of a rude, foul-mouthed, fat old man,'' court papers say. AP

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...connery23.html

Old
02-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Nope, I'm actually Sean Connery:

''Connery's appearance and behavior was that of a rude, foul-mouthed, fat old man,'' court papers say. AP

Pfffft.. Then you did them a favor.

Wicker SUX..

Closed Thread