HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Spengler Cup discussion ??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-30-2012, 08:55 AM
  #51
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,360
vCash: 500
MAP makes it 2-0.


Last edited by harpoon: 12-30-2012 at 10:09 AM.
harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 09:19 AM
  #52
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,360
vCash: 500
Five minutes left in the second and Duchene makes it 3-0 Canada.
And Dubnyk immediately gives one up on a deflection.
3-1 Canada.

Gagner repeatedly denied by Schneider from right in the slot.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 09:51 AM
  #53
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,360
vCash: 500
Colaiacovo 4-1 Canada.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:03 AM
  #54
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,360
vCash: 500
Duchene with his second goal and third point of the night. 5-1 Canada.
For some reason Fribourg-Gottéron changed goaltenders midway through the third so this goal wasn't on Schneider.

Game over.


Last edited by harpoon: 12-30-2012 at 10:09 AM.
harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:49 PM
  #55
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,015
vCash: 500
Another whiff of Horcoffian proportions by Sammy.

Sequin must be hurt, he looks pretty rough out there.

Doobie looking sharp again.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:01 PM
  #56
Descendent*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
Really impressed with Dubnyk and am confident with him as the Oilers #1 Goalie for years to come.

He's outplayed Bernier and Schneider.

Descendent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:15 PM
  #57
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,470
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp10 View Post
Really impressed with Dubnyk and am confident with him as the Oilers #1 Goalie for years to come.

He's outplayed Bernier and Schneider.
Agreed. I've always been more impressed with him than Bernier, but I don't think its unrealistic to suggest that he might be better than Schneider too

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:19 PM
  #58
Descendent*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
Haha Schneider is getting lit up like a Christmas tree. They might as well put up a Shooter Tutor instead.

Descendent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:47 PM
  #59
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,411
vCash: 500
Schneider doing his best Luongo impression, looked just brutal aside from a few big saves on snowpants.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:15 AM
  #60
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
MAP makes it 2-0.
This guy should have been playing over in Europe 3 years ago.

And to be honest....were better off with him getting minutes than Byron Ritchie tommorow.

MAP & Gagner might be a factor.

But Kane is a problem.

This is the hockey Pat Kane is best at. Lake hockey.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:17 AM
  #61
Kayen
Dubnykov
 
Kayen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
This guy should have been playing over in Europe 3 years ago.

And to be honest....were better off with him getting minutes than Byron Ritchie tommorow.

MAP & Gagner might be a factor.

But Kane is a problem.

This is the hockey Pat Kane is best at. Lake hockey.
Did you just essentially call every european league as pond hockey / shinny? I think these players deserve a little more respect than that.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:15 AM
  #62
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,360
vCash: 500
5-1 Canada midway through the second period.
Two goals from Ryan Smyth.
Like last night Dubnyk has barely had to make any saves.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:46 AM
  #63
judge301
Registered User
 
judge301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
What?? Are you watching the game? He has been amazing!!! 6? Breakaways in two games against davos (including Kane clear from center ice) Deflections he has reacted to 5 feet infront of his net... He hasn't seen as much rubber as the other goalie but this game should be alot closer with the quality chances Davos has had. Good god man, what else do you expect from him??? Geez, i mean hes now given up what two goals in three games...

judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:49 AM
  #64
judge301
Registered User
 
judge301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Schneider doing his best Luongo impression, looked just brutal aside from a few big saves on snowpants.
He was easily outplayed by the far inferior, potential career back up guy at the other end... Just sayin'

judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 07:21 AM
  #65
Lay Z Boy GM
Registered User
 
Lay Z Boy GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,301
vCash: 500
If the NHL starts up soon I'm pretty confident the Oilers will push for a playoff spot. Dubnyk looks very sharp, he's ready to go and could definitely be our #1 goalie for 40-50 games. Smyth's still got it, and he won't burn out playing 40-50 games. It would be great if Tambellini could get a player like Patrice Bergeron for us, then I think we could maybe win a round in the playoffs.

I'm not sure about every other team in our division, but our core players are looking good right now and they're ready to play. I really hope a deal gets done ASAP.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 07:47 AM
  #66
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,411
vCash: 500
Canada wins the Spengler! Dubnyk with another great game, Smyth scored twice and Gagner got two assists. Pretty good showing from the Oilers boys.


SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:12 AM
  #67
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by judge301 View Post
What?? Are you watching the game? He has been amazing!!! 6? Breakaways in two games against davos (including Kane clear from center ice) Deflections he has reacted to 5 feet infront of his net... He hasn't seen as much rubber as the other goalie but this game should be alot closer with the quality chances Davos has had. Good god man, what else do you expect from him??? Geez, i mean hes now given up what two goals in three games...
He was awesome in his first game.
The last two games he hasn't had to do much.
Not a slam on Dubnyk, just my opinion. You don't have to like it but save the "good god man" reactions for sometime when they are actually warranted.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:37 AM
  #68
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,187
vCash: 500
Thanks 'Poon!

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:59 AM
  #69
judge301
Registered User
 
judge301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
He was awesome in his first game.
The last two games he hasn't had to do much.
Not a slam on Dubnyk, just my opinion. You don't have to like it but save the "good god man" reactions for sometime when they are actually warranted.
youre likely right... I guess i get a little defensive of Dubnyk with all the bs people say about him and how under rated he is. I shoulda read closer. It's not the amount of rubber a goalie sees but the quality of chances. Davos did have some great chances and Dubnyk played outstanding. If a goalie sees sixty pucks from the blue line and the opposition goalie only has 15 saves but 5 were grade a scoring chances and he let one in. Can you say the losing goalie didn't do much and the other goalie was better? Or really even busier? I dont think so.

And you said "Dubnyk hasn't had to do much." that is stating a fact that is backed up with tangible evidence. As opposed to an opinion that would be qualified as such. As I said above you cant just look at how many shots a goalie had in one game and accurately conclude he didn't do much.

judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:06 AM
  #70
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by judge301 View Post
youre likely right... I guess i get a little defensive of Dubnyk with all the bs people say about him and how under rated he is. I shoulda read closer. It's not the amount of rubber a goalie sees but the quality of chances. Davos did have some great chances and Dubnyk played outstanding. If a goalie sees sixty pucks from the blue line and the opposition goalie only has 15 saves but 5 were grade a scoring chances and he let one in. Can you say the losing goalie didn't do much and the other goalie was better? Or really even busier? I dont think so.

And you said "Dubnyk hasn't had to do much." that is stating a fact that is backed up with tangible evidence. As opposed to an opinion that would be qualified as such. As I said above you cant just look at how many shots a goalie had in one game and accurately conclude he didn't do much.
Welcome to HFOil where if it cannot be sorted into stats columns it doesn't exist and therefore your point has no validity.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:25 AM
  #71
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Welcome to HFOil where if it cannot be sorted into stats columns it doesn't exist and therefore your point has no validity.
Cause things like shots on goal have no bearing on evaluating a goaltender's game. Devan has great intangibles.
Did you watch the games nabob or are you just cheerleading for your boy?

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:30 AM
  #72
judge301
Registered User
 
judge301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Cause things like shots on goal have no bearing on evaluating a goaltender's game. Devan has great intangibles.
Did you watch the games nabob or are you just cheerleading for your boy?
Did anyone say anything about them having no bearing in all cases? Did anyone say anything about intangibles? It was about your so called opinion which was worded as provable fact that Dubnyk didnt do much. Im not going to take the time to walk through this all with you. If you want to hash something out then lets stick to the topic. Please form so kinda arguement that shows he didn't do much based on facts other than simplistic SOGs. In the WJHC today dougy hamilton fired a puck from the face off circle in his own end about 160 feet away. It was a stop the Russian net minder had to save and thus was counted as a shot on goal. by your simplistic logic if Canada ended the game with 25 sog and Russia with 24 sog we'd have to conclude the Russian goalie was busier or did more than the Canadian tender. It's simplistic flawed logic.


Last edited by judge301: 12-31-2012 at 01:55 PM.
judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:16 PM
  #73
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Cause things like shots on goal have no bearing on evaluating a goaltender's game. Devan has great intangibles.
Did you watch the games nabob or are you just cheerleading for your boy?
I watched the game where he was amazing against Davos and the good game he played yesterday against Fribourg. Didn't see the final game. But seeing as how he didn't face 60 shots ill just assume he wasn't very good.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:42 PM
  #74
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
Did you just essentially call every european league as pond hockey / shinny? I think these players deserve a little more respect than that.
Why would you throw "shinny" in there? And why would you assume I was demeaning the style of play?

Certainly wasn't what I was doing. Not at all. I totally respect the style. I just think in comaprison to the style played on N.A. ice; "Lake Hockey" is an accurate metaphor to use. As metaphors go, at least.

In fact...I tweeted the other day that aside from a couple of weak(er) goaltenders...the overall level of experience/skill in MOST Spengler Cups is higher than the AHL. Its excellent hockey. No doubt.

It is also "different" and its silly to resent the notion certain NHL players wouldn't be perfect adaptors to Spengler style hockey.

Kane is a great example and my point stands.

That is all.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:26 PM
  #75
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by judge301 View Post
Did anyone say anything about them having no bearing in all cases? Did anyone say anything about intangibles? It was about your so called opinion which was worded as provable fact that Dubnyk didnt do much. Im not going to take the time to walk through this all with you. If you want to hash something out then lets stick to the topic. Please form so kinda arguement that shows he didn't do much based on facts other than simplistic SOGs. In the WJHC today dougy hamilton fired a puck from the face off circle in his own end about 160 feet away. It was a stop the Russian net minder had to save and thus was counted as a shot on goal. by your simplistic logic if Canada ended the game with 25 sog and Russia with 24 sog we'd have to conclude the Russian goalie was busier or did more than the Canadian tender. It's simplistic flawed logic.
Really? Not all shots are equal? That's something that never occurred to me. Thank you sensei for improving my understanding of the game.

As you can see from my posts above I watched all the games. Aside from the first game he played Dubnyk was average at best. I'm thinking you may have had one too many wobbly pops and the line between the way Subban has played and the way Dubnyk has played became blurred for you.

Anyway, I'm glad you like Dubnyk. I still think he won't amount to much but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.