HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

January Thaw

Old
01-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Alpine

vCash: 500
January Thaw

It happens almost every year
http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/NB/ID/2325676250/

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:35 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah it's unfortunate that this is just a reality now unless you live way up north. We've had pretty good luck with rinks in Chicago this year, but my outdoor game last Saturday morning was cancelled b/c it was 55 and raining. We did however have a tourney the next day on the same rink as it was 25 with light snow. That's Chicago weather for ya.

I remember when I was a kid (31 now) and it would get cold in November and stay that way all Winter. We would also have snow cover for the entire winter. Chicago has not has measurable snow in close to a year now.

I feel bad for my son who will probably never get to experience winter like I did unless I move.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Same here in MN. We had rain over the weekend and it got up to 40 which killed the rinks. They didn't even bother flooding the rinks until the week of Christmas. Outside the first couple years I played as an adult (5-7 years ago), haven't really been able to play outside much at all.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Alpine

What I find strange is that we are building indoor rinks with geo-thermal heat pumps to suck the heat out to maintain minus 7C air temp for ice (which somebody decided was best for ice) and not having an ice plant but now have artificial refigeration for outdoor rinks?

Last edited by Alpine: 01-15-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: c
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:49 PM
JBauerly97

All of the ice on our city pond was completely melted on Saturday with our temps in the 50s for a couple of days. Most of it has a layer now except for the corner where the river feeds in, but it'll be a while before we can skate. What little ice there is looks so glassy smooth too, supposed to get some snow later this week that will ruin it.

JBauerly97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:15 PM
JaeTM

I wish I had outdoor rinks like this near me for the possibility of playing on it. Although it sucks that it's thawing, at least you guys have a rink where you can play on it a few times a year.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Jackson12

3 rinks within walking distance of my house and rain has made them all useless...

Jackson12 is offline   Reply With Quote