HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Trevor Linden or Joe Mullen?

View Poll Results: well
Mullen 46 86.79%
Linden 7 13.21%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Puckgenius*

vCash: 500
Trevor Linden or Joe Mullen?

The better player in his prime? Saw some Mullen when he was a flame but not much when he was a Pen.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 03:53 PM
thom

Though I 'm from Bc Joe Mullin was a great american player who is in the hall of fame and has a edge should be no discussion.Lindon was a class guy a player who showed up in big games and was a good captain but he will never be in the hall.Edge Mullin

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Wasn't Joe Mullen a 50 goal scorer and got over 500 ?

Plus he wore that.. I don't even know what it's called around his neck. It was massive.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 04:35 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

For a playoff run I'd take Linden.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 04:40 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 10000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
For a playoff run I'd take Linden.
Then you'd be a fool. Linden has one great playoff run and two decent other years, but Mullen led the playoffs in goals twice, and has four playoffs of 17+ points, and Linden has just one. Mullen had the benefit of playing on a great teams, but Mullen is still better. He has an offensive peak that Linden just can't match, even with his advantage in physicality and two-way play.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 04:42 PM
tony d
The franchise

Close but Joe Mullen

12-22-2012, 05:01 PM
jkrx

I'd take Joe Mullen and I actually don't think its very close skill-wise.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I'd take Joe Mullen and I actually don't think its very close skill-wise.
It's not close skill wise but Linden closes some of the gap with better physical 2 way play and the extremely subjective "intangibles".

That being said it's harder to replace the type of scorer Mullen was and he takes this rather easily IMO.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:27 PM
IComeInPeace

Mullen was an excellent complimentary player. Linden's numbers can not compare, but you could build your team around him.
At their peak, Linden for me, in a landslide.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Peter Griffin

Such a weird comparison...

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 10:31 PM
vadim sharifijanov

canucks fan here saying that it's a clear edge to mullen.

as stated above, mullen was an excellent playoff performer, and a clutch performer over a much longer span of years than linden was. he also had a very underrated two-way game. not a selke guy, but definitely a good winger defensively. no worse than linden defensively, and very possibly better.

but on the other hand, linden was the more versatile player. he was a natural power winger who could also be pretty dominant first line center in his prime. he also had size, strength, and early on really good speed too. but despite all those great tools, the offensive instincts weren't in mullen's league.

the funny thing is if both guys were in their primes, i bet more than half of the GMs in the league would have traded mullen for linden in a heartbeat. and in most cases, that probably would turn out to be a mistake.

it's like imagine it's 1998. most GMs would probably trade mark recchi for keith primeau, right? but would that be the right move in the long or short runs? under very specific circumstances, yes. but the way things actually turned out, most teams probably should have just kept recchi. you might even go as far as to say the same thing about recchi vs. sundin in, say, 1994 or '95.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 01:03 AM
seventieslord

Linden got a vote? And another one???

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:03 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

What a strange poll question. I never thought of ever comparing these two, playing such different styles. Mullen waits for passes, Linden goes down low. Joe has a great release, Linden uses positioning and hustle.

In an all-time context it's like comparing a second liner with a third liner. Different roles and different skill sets.

Big Linden has Made Team Canada's Olympic squad based on Bottom-6 qualities that little Mullen never had.

Plus their career arc is different. Linden thrived early and hit his peak in the 1994 Cup run, as leader; Mullen grew in impact over his career and after his half decade in St. Louis truly emerged in Calgary, surrounded by greatness, not much of a leader except as a trigger man on stat sheets.

Linden was more valuable to the Canucks franchise than Mullen ever was to the Blues or Flames. But yeah, there's no doubt who could score more.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:56 AM
Ogopogo*

Trevor Linden wasn't really that good. Vancouver's version of Ryan Smyth.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Not going to vote because I don't want to embarrass Linden further.

Two better polls would be...

Linden vs Kirk Muller

and

Mullen vs. Steve Larmer

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:58 PM
redbull
game on

weird comparison. Not voting.

Joe Mullen was a damn great little player though.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Yamaguchi

weird poll, indeed..

How about Darius Kasparaitis vs Clint Malarchuk poll?

Yamaguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:34 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Mullen was the American Mike Bossy until Hull exploded onto the scene (if you want to consider Hull an American).

Not close IMO. Linden was more a fan favorite than an elite player.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Big Phil

I know Mullen gets a lot of flack for being in the HHOF. I personally think if he weren't in there today that he would be a name that would constantly get brought up. So it goes both ways. Mullen was better than Linden though, career and peak. We never saw Linden reach a 1989 Mullen. Linden in the 1994 playoffs was epic but Mullen has the 1989 postseason as well and he ended up winning a Cup to boot. Both players have that trifecta of players responsible (MacInnis, Mullen, Vernon) (Bure, McLean, Linden)

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:23 AM
westvandal

I'm the hugest fan of Linden but Mullen was an elite player for several years and a much more effective bottom sixer in the twilight of his career. Plus he has 3 cup rings.

westvandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:40 AM
davebenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvandal View Post
I'm the hugest fan of Linden but Mullen was an elite player for several years and a much more effective bottom sixer in the twilight of his career. Plus he has 3 cup rings.
Agreed, and I loved Linden and disliked Mullen (but only because I really, really hated the Penguins)

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:15 AM
tombombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Trevor Linden wasn't really that good. Vancouver's version of Ryan Smyth.
that's an accurate assessment. "Guys that tried really hard, while playing in Canadian markets". It made everyone love them, and their name keeps getting said again and again, sometimes even with a crazily hyperbolic moniker attached (ie. 'Captain Canada.. sounds pretty impressive, no?)

I'd throw Kirk Muller into this group, and, although I feel he is a better player than this group, had Winnipeg stayed in Winnipeg, Shane Doan would be a demi-God in Canadian media.

Another example of this sensation was nearly Darcy Tucker. Grapes was sure trying to push him as the best player in Toronto for at least two seasons... just no one swallowed that he was better than Mats... but he would have fit the 'gritty, semi-talented' criteria well had his media rep taken off.

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:18 AM
tjcurrie

I agree it's a tough comparison.

I saw someone say Mullen vs Larmer. That'd be better. Or Mullen vs Ciccarelli.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombombadil View Post
that's an accurate assessment. "Guys that tried really hard, while playing in Canadian markets". It made everyone love them, and their name keeps getting said again and again, sometimes even with a crazily hyperbolic moniker attached (ie. 'Captain Canada.. sounds pretty impressive, no?)

I'd throw Kirk Muller into this group, and, although I feel he is a better player than this group, had Winnipeg stayed in Winnipeg, Shane Doan would be a demi-God in Canadian media.

Another example of this sensation was nearly Darcy Tucker. Grapes was sure trying to push him as the best player in Toronto for at least two seasons... just no one swallowed that he was better than Mats... but he would have fit the 'gritty, semi-talented' criteria well had his media rep taken off.
Or Wendel Clark as an obvious one.

Mullen is undeniably the more talented player that was better offensively. HOWEVER those heart and soul players. More physical... Leaders. Like Linden, Smyth, Wendel, Muller. Or maybe the ultimate guy like that in Tonelli. You win with those guys. You don't win if they are you best or second best forwards obviously... but to have those kind of players you win.

HOWEVER!!!!! And I learned a lot in refreshing my memory. Mullen led the playoffs in goals in both the 1986 finals appearance and win in 1989 by the Flames. And he got 110 points to lead (by far) the stacked with stars and good players 1989 Flames.

Before checking out Mullen on Hockey Reference I didn't remember how high his PPG was early on. Didn't realize he had so many shortened seasons from injury. He is world's above Linden or Smyth. He played over 1000 games at a high level. If he had just 600 or so at the level he did you could argue for a lesser player with a longer career.... but not with a 1000 game guy. I didn't realize he was in the CHL until age 24. Looking at his crushing numbers as a rookie he likely could have been a star from age 20 if he had been in the NHL.

And this is interesting?

1998-99 41 United States WC-Q 3 0 3 3 0

What is WC-Q? Is it qualifying for the World Championship? Long after he retired? Interesting. Anyone know about that when Mullen was 41?

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:47 AM
tombombadil

^^^Clark is a perfect example ^^^

I'm referencing numbers, because of this comparo, too.

Surprised to see that Linden had 1 game winner in the '94 run. Pav had 2, and Geoff Courtnall had 3! Linden also scored a lot more on the PP, less at even strength, and it shows in his plus/minus.

All of that surprised me, but I should be ready for that, by now.

As a Canucks fan, in those days, I really don't even remember Trevor as a physical, or defensive force. He was big, and he was the captain. Sometimes, just maybe, when you take all the interviews, and you are the captain, and the number one Canadian player on a team, maybe you get stamped with an 'intangibles badge'

I'm not basing this off of the one playoff run, but ONE Game Winner? And that's all we know, and knew in 94 about Trev was - clutch! This guy ain't no shrinking Russian. He's Captain Clutch... Vancouver's Messier.

I'm now going to look for his fights, because I don't remember him doing much of it, or being very good. Not that that is a problem, but I think I have been under the impression that he was a shot-blocking, clutch-scoring, team on his back, physical force.

Edit - I must admit he was willing to stick his neck out with some scary opponents.

Last edited by tombombadil: 12-28-2012 at 11:36 AM.
tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote