HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Can a team arrange additional games?

Old
04-18-2013, 03:47 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

vCash: 500
Can a team arrange additional games?

Just a thought I had, wanted to see if there was any official NHL rule about it or if it was just generally not done because of other concerns (financial, insurance, etc.).

Can two teams agree to play an additional game (scrimmage)? During the regular season? At whatever location they wish (outside?)?

Can two teams agree to participate in some other form of competition? For instance, a "Atlantic Division All-star Game" or something? A "Devils-Rangers Hurricane Sandy Relief Charity Game"?

Just wondering if teams have the power to do such things outside the purview of the NHL, assuming the players agree to participate I guess (because their contracts wouldn't cover such things, I'm assuming).

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:43 AM
Vapourstreak

I'm guessing it may have to do with licensing issues from the NHL and NHLPA. Like how the players couldn't sport team logos during the lockout because of the spat, and had to wear NHLPA jerseys.

But yeah, financial + insurance concerns probably play a big role in it too. That and the fact that 82 games is more than enough.

Vapourstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:08 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapourstreak View Post
I'm guessing it may have to do with licensing issues from the NHL and NHLPA. Like how the players couldn't sport team logos during the lockout because of the spat, and had to wear NHLPA jerseys.

But yeah, financial + insurance concerns probably play a big role in it too. That and the fact that 82 games is more than enough.
Well obviously these games wouldn't count as league games.. I was just wondering if they are limited in scheduling scrimmages or participating in other events as a franchise.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:45 AM
Vapourstreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Well obviously these games wouldn't count as league games.. I was just wondering if they are limited in scheduling scrimmages or participating in other events as a franchise.
Neither was the Bieksa's Buddies charity game. I meant 82 games provide enough wear and tear on the body and most guys would probably prefer a day off.

Vapourstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 07:47 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Not sure about scrimmages, but the CBA is specific about the number of preseason/exhibition games allowed.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:14 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Not sure about scrimmages, but the CBA is specific about the number of preseason/exhibition games allowed.
The CBA limits the number of Exhibition Games to 9 during the season (including pre-season games) - but does not limit Exhibition Games to only the pre-season.

The players can receive no add'l payments for the game, and any revenues generated would likely be included in HRR.

I would also suspect that NHL & NHLPA permission would be required to schedule any Exhibition Games during the regular season.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
The CBA limits the number of Exhibition Games to 9 during the season (including pre-season games) - but does not limit Exhibition Games to only the pre-season.

The players can receive no add'l payments for the game, and any revenues generated would likely be included in HRR.

I would also suspect that NHL & NHLPA permission would be required to schedule any Exhibition Games during the regular season.
Not only that, but at any time during the year. Both the league and PA would need to approve any additions beyond the CBA-mandated number of exhibition/pre-season games and regular season games. Obviously, playoff games are 'mandated' in the sense that you can't predict how many there will be, but it's understood that this is included in the package. Players' associations would take a keen interest in having total commitment spelled out, for obvious reasons.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

I am guessing the specific rest/day off requirements would still need to be met.

But we've had situations where teams have played their AHL team during the season, guessing those fall within the 9 exhibition games kdb209 mentions. And likely why the reason is 9, because 8 pre-season games seem regular. Also guess the Oilers' yearly game against the Golden Bears is included in the 9.

Rookie tournaments must fall outside, if they are still allowed.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:16 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
Rookie tournaments must fall outside, if they are still allowed.
There are CBA rules for prospect camps (# of hours/times per day on ice, total length, etc.) which are usually held in summer.

Tournaments are allowed. Guessing that rooks cannot play more than 9 exhibition games/season (including tournaments).

(Sounds like it'll be another month before we see copy of CBA to know for sure.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:34 PM
nyrmetros

I would like to see friendlies vs Euro clubs......

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote