HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

MLS vs. NHL Going Forward?

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 08:31 PM
du5566*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the beat View Post
The atmosphere at North American sporting events does not even begin to come close to the atmosphere at European football matches. The Superbowl is a yawnfest compared to even a regular match in some parks over there.
As far as atmosphere goes I agree but I must point out that the 90,000+ in Tiger Stadium at LSU on Saturday nights during college football season give it their best try. SEC football is the closest thing North America has to European football matches in terms of atmosphere.

But when I go to a live sporting event I want more than just atmosphere which is why in my opinon the drama of say game 5 of the 2005 ALCS Sox Yankees combined with the atmosphere in Fenway park for that game for me would be every bit as good as any European football match in terms of a complete live sporting event, matter of opinion I suppose.

Last edited by du5566*: 12-30-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old
12-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
Well that's a legitimate reason. The QB has to be able to tell the offense what to do. If you watch football and some teams like Seattle especially, the visiting offenses have a lot of trouble with the crowd noise (false starts, delay of games, etc.) It would be dumb for them to be that loud when their own team has the ball....
Yeah, he was flat out wrong about that point. The home crowd will always hush up during their own team's offensive plays.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevils7 View Post
I love soccer almost as much as hockey but the MLS will never be ahead of the NHL for one main reason. The MLS is not the best soccer league in the world. It is probably around the 10th best soccer league in the world.
No way is it top 10 Top 20 is more realistic. Still being mediocre in terms of on the pitch product it seems to have had very good growth and good support. If the product on the field continues to improve interest will continue to rise, they are doing a very good job. To me football (Soccer) is football (Soccer), I can watch a team in the lower divisions to get my fix or high quality football. If I lived in the NA no doubt I would follow the MLS. Having a team in your own city which you have a connection with is something special to many football (Soccer) fans in Europe and South America and that seems to be growing in in the MLS which does not have the rich history of many world football leagues.

The EPL receiving an 83 million dollar deal from a US channel is crazy though, this league is on the other side of the world with games in the worst hours possible. Imagine the NHL could get something like that in Europe, would never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
That's pure crap. The best MLS club would be a mid-table team in the BPL.
You are out of your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Eurosnobbery is most definitely a North American (and Trans-Tasman) phenomenon. They tend to be the sorts of people whose only exposure to the sport is via El Clásico or the Premiership, thus "empowering" them to dismiss MLS as rubbish. Many of them probably couldn't spell Eredivisie if you spotted them all of the vowels. Unfortunately, they are also the league's most vocal critics.
When I lived in Australia they were referred to as Euro plastics, and the El Clasico was known as the El Plastico, seeing as how you would have so many people wearing their Barcelona and Real Madrid shirts and bandwagon a European Giant in a city and stadium they have never or will ever set foot in. Most European football fans will never understand these types of fans. Sure it is fine to follow a team in another country but when they start screaming "We" and going crazy over these teams it is hilarious.

Last edited by Dynamo81: 12-30-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old
12-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
MLS Ainec.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post

I would argue the atmosphere and live experience with Toronto FC is probably five times the experience you get with the Leafs.

Canada is probably a better place to see MLS growth with our thriving immigrant community.
That picture is from game 1 of season 2.

If you have been to a TFC game in the last couple of years you would know the atmosphere is now more akin to a Tuesday night Marlies game than any Maple Leafs game.

Sure, I think it would be better if the team were half decent, but that picture is in no way indicative of the reality of the situation. Posting that and saying "look at that crowd" is like when Coyotes fans post a picture of a playoff crowd as proof of the team's viability.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Yeah, he was flat out wrong about that point. The home crowd will always hush up during their own team's offensive plays.
Not sure if it's sad or pathetic if that's true, probably both. Considering the only sound I hear the few times I catch a game is well, nothing. Unless you QB is mute (in which he should be writing anyways to communicate), he's going to be able to make himself heard. I wonder if it's not something you've all gotten used to and still enforce.

Aren't they usually having one of them group hugs before they start an attack each time anyways? He forgets how to talk at that point?

Old
12-30-2012, 08:40 PM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
Not sure if it's sad or pathetic if that's true, probably both. Considering the only sound I hear the few times I catch a game is well, nothing. Unless you QB is mute (in which he should be writing anyways to communicate), he's going to be able to make himself heard. I wonder if it's not something you've all gotten used to and still enforce.

Aren't they usually having one of them group hugs before they start an attack each time anyways? He forgets how to talk at that point?
Haha, this is just ignorant at best. Don't try and insult something you clearly do not understand, it just makes you look stupid.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:40 PM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:

The noise level makes it very difficult to hear on the field, even when they're in the huddle

Old
12-30-2012, 08:41 PM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
Haha, this is just ignorant at best. Don't try and insult something you clearly do not understand, it just makes you look stupid.
Haha pretty much

Old
12-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Explain then. When they group up and are inches between eachother, they can not hear eachother, but in other sports they can? I apparantly can not understand why american football players have difficulty hearing eachother, so you are most welcome to explain that to me, since you seem to know.

It just seems odd since at football (soccer) arenas the crowd can yell at top of their lungs and we see players having conversations.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:44 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
In the US we make it a point of cheering when the team actually does something (score, get a first down, make a big play ect.) rather than just screaming non-stop for 60 minutes making a spectacle of ourselves. We go to watch the game not the crowd.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Dado

vCash:
Many don't see that as a positive thing, SaintPatty....it's an awfully passive form of spectating...

Old
12-30-2012, 08:48 PM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
Explain then. When they group up and are inches between eachother, they can not hear eachother, but in other sports they can? I apparantly can not understand why american football players have difficulty hearing eachother, so you are most welcome to explain that to me, since you seem to know.
Because it's loud dammit! They're in the middle of a stadium with ~75,000 people surrounding them. I remember the Seahawks/Niners game and the Niners QB had to yell at the top of his lungs with his teammates right next to him. It's also harder to call audibles, teams have to waste timeouts, there's penalties, etc. This is why the fans are quiet when their own team has the ball.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
Because it's loud dammit! They're in the middle of a stadium with ~75,000 people surrounding them. I remember the Seahawks/Niners game and the Niners QB had to yell at the top of his lungs with his teammates right next to him. It's also harder to call audibles, teams have to waste timeouts, there's penalties, etc.

Europe isn't the only place with loud and obnoxious fans
No, but we seem to be the only place where the athletes have ears. Here they can easily have conversations when 70,000 spectators sing and yell.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:52 PM
du5566*

Quote:

It just seems odd since at football (soccer) arenas the crowd can yell at top of their lungs and we see players having conversations.
Despite what you may think it is indeed very loud at NFL and major college football games and after the huddle the quarterback will call out the middle linebacker to help the offensive line make their blocking calls, he will make pre snap adjustments to the play based off his anticipation of what defense the opponent is running, and then he will call the cadence. It’s actually a very detailed and important part of offense in American football and it is nearly impossible if the players cannot hear the quarterback.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
That picture is from game 1 of season 2.

If you have been to a TFC game in the last couple of years you would know the atmosphere is now more akin to a Tuesday night Marlies game than any Maple Leafs game.

Sure, I think it would be better if the team were half decent, but that picture is in no way indicative of the reality of the situation. Posting that and saying "look at that crowd" is like when Coyotes fans post a picture of a playoff crowd as proof of the team's viability.
This Year 47,000 at Rogers

Same game........something was going on

Old
12-30-2012, 08:57 PM
du5566*

Quote:
No, but we seem to be the only place where the athletes have ears. Here they can easily have conversations when 70,000 spectators sing and yell.
Haha, I have been in college football stadiums with 85,000+ and I can't hear the person sitting next to me when everyone goes nuts, never mind being on the field ten yards away from each other. Maybe the soccer stadiums in Europe are not as loud as we think they are? Or maybe you are just being ridiculous.

Old
12-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Haha, I have been in college football stadiums with 85,000+ and I can't hear the person sitting next to me when everyone goes nuts, never mind being on the field ten yards away from each other. Maybe the soccer stadiums in Europe are not as loud as we think they are? Or maybe you are just being ridiculous.
That's because the people close to and around you are going nuts. Seriously what is this I don't even..

Old
12-30-2012, 09:00 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Many don't see that as a positive thing, SaintPatty....it's an awfully passive form of spectating...
If there's one thing I can't stand is going to a hockey game and hearing a bunch off inebriated idiots break into a soccer chant. I'm trying to concentrate on the game and a pack of drunks are being distracting and trying to get everybody in the arena to look at them instead of the action on the ice.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:00 PM
du5566*

Quote:
That's because the people around you are going nuts. Seriously what is this I don't even..
Ah, yes..... Because sound doesn't travel and it's not as loud on the field in these bowl stadiums with everyone facing towards and screaming at these players. Are you serious? I mean are you really serious?

Old
12-30-2012, 09:01 PM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
If there's one thing I can't stand is going to a hockey game and hearing a bunch off inebriated idiots break into a soccer chant. I'm trying to concentrate on the game and a pack of drunks are being distracting and trying to get everybody in the arena to look at them instead of the action on the ice.
Oh lay, oh lay oh lay oh lay, oh lay, oh lay

Old
12-30-2012, 09:02 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Despite what you may think it is indeed very loud at NFL and major college football games and after the huddle the quarterback will call out the middle linebacker to help the offensive line make their blocking calls, he will make pre snap adjustments to the play based off his anticipation of what defense the opponent is running, and then he will call the cadence. It’s actually a very detailed and important part of offense in American football and it is nearly impossible if the players cannot hear the quarterback.
Not to mention football players have these things on their heads called "helmets" that aren't exactly conducive to hearing.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
You're so scared it's sad. Btw you're at fault if it does happen. Soccer passing hockey. Just like the NHL owners you have no contingency plan for minorities.
That's your opinion. What is fact is another matter however. There's no way that soccer passes hockey in North America where hockey has a long and rich history. Is the NHL one of the "big 4" anymore? No but Soccer isn't even on the radar behind Nascaar, MMA, PGA and Tennis.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:03 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Ah, yes..... Because sound doesn't travel and it's not as loud on the field in these bowl stadiums with everyone facing towards and screaming at these players. Are you serious? I mean are you really serious?
And you can ratchet it up if the game is in a dome.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:03 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Oh lay, oh lay oh lay oh lay, oh lay, oh lay
Gawd I hate that

Closed Thread