HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Colorado Ava...Lake Erie Monsters Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
I can't see it but there's some pictures at least of Joey Hishon at practice in Lake Erie. So that's at least something good.
Where?

Old
01-07-2013, 04:43 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Where?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Old
01-07-2013, 05:26 PM
BrickAHL
No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
Link doesn't work.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:19 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Link doesn't work.
Yeah, it's strange. The link works for a while, stops working, works again.
Vid shows Hishon in a no-contact jersey during warm up before a Lake Erie practice. He takes two shots, the last one hits Pickard's mask. No exciting stuff.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Kardi

How has Elliott play been this season? He hasn't really put points up this season, just curious if he'll have a chance to start with the big club this year.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:30 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardi View Post
How has Elliott play been this season? He hasn't really put points up this season, just curious if he'll have a chance to start with the big club this year.
awful for the first 30 games, very good for the past 10. I'd guess management leaves him in the AHL all year, especially since Barrie will probably get a call-up before him

Old
01-07-2013, 08:32 PM
BrickAHL
No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
awful for the first 30 games, very good for the past 10. I'd guess management leaves him in the AHL all year, especially since Barrie will probably get a call-up before him
He wasn't good but he was not awful.

Old
01-07-2013, 09:07 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

Stefan Elliott may have the best shot to make the Avs come the season opener just because he’s played in the NHL before.

Elliott played in 39 games for Colorado during the 2011-12 season, scoring four times and totaling nine assists. He is another prospect who has played for the Saskatoon Blades, completing four seasons with them. He finished the 2010-11 season with the Blades with 81 points in 71 games.

What’s been troubling for Elliott is that he hasn’t played well during the lockout with the Lake Erie Monsters. Through 30 games, he’s scored three times and has five assists, but hasn’t played well on either side of the puck.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

vCash: 50
i don't think either barrie or elliot make the team with the depth we have, lack of talent however.

barrie and elliot will both be nhl players one day, i think one gets traded down the line.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Nihiliste

Meh I would leave them both in Erie. We have our dcorps set, as bad as it is. Someone will inevitably get hurt for a few games, and then we can call up and give him a look. For now let them develop. Elliott seems to be turning it around, and having a dominant full season in the AHL can only be good for Barrie.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Lonewolfe2015

I still like Elliott more and think his game moreso than Barrie's would benefit from NHL caliber talent around him and being in the NHL.

He is never going to be a defensive stalwart, but I see no reason he can't carve out a career like Streit as an offensive firecracker and a non-liability in the defensive zone.

Barrie on the other hand needs to continue to work on pushing his creative side in the AHL. For as smart as he is, he tried way too hard to play responsibly and it killed his most lethal aspect, his offensive creativity. If he's going to make the NHL, it will not be because he knows good defensive positioning, it'll be because he adapts to the NHL in an offensive manner.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:40 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I still like Elliott more and think his game moreso than Barrie's would benefit from NHL caliber talent around him and being in the NHL.

He is never going to be a defensive stalwart, but I see no reason he can't carve out a career like Streit as an offensive firecracker and a non-liability in the defensive zone.

Barrie on the other hand needs to continue to work on pushing his creative side in the AHL. For as smart as he is, he tried way too hard to play responsibly and it killed his most lethal aspect, his offensive creativity. If he's going to make the NHL, it will not be because he knows good defensive positioning, it'll be because he adapts to the NHL in an offensive manner.
Barrie has scored some absolutely spectacular goals in the AHL this season. I like the way Barrie plays the game and I think, especially as he gets more comfortable, his game will translate just fine to the NHL level. He was actually quite unlucky not to get a few points last year, as I remember there were a few oppurtunities that just missed.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Barrie has scored some absolutely spectacular goals in the AHL this season. I like the way Barrie plays the game and I think, especially as he gets more comfortable, his game will translate just fine to the NHL level. He was actually quite unlucky not to get a few points last year, as I remember there were a few oppurtunities that just missed.
I'm with Lonewolfe on this one, I still believe Elliott has more upside. I've never really been a fan of the Barrie draft pick but I've been impressed with what he's been able to do with his career so far. He is very entertaining to watch. However, as for the point I highlighted, how many small-ish (5'10") d-men actually make it to the NHL and STICK without having or eventually developing good defensive positioning? Not many, in my opinion. He may get there at one point and become a Rafalski type defenseman, which would be amazing for the Avs but for right now, he's still too green for the NHL, defensively anyways, in my opinion.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I'm with Lonewolfe on this one, I still believe Elliott has more upside. I've never really been a fan of the Barrie draft pick but I've been impressed with what he's been able to do with his career so far. He is very entertaining to watch. However, as for the point I highlighted, how many small-ish (5'10") d-men actually make it to the NHL and STICK without having or eventually developing good defensive positioning? Not many, in my opinion. He may get there at one point and become a Rafalski type defenseman, which would be amazing for the Avs but for right now, he's still too green for the NHL, defensively anyways, in my opinion.
Definitely true Bender, agree 100%. However I think Barrie is already at the minimum in terms of NHL-positioning for a guy his size. He can handle the game mentally, he knows where to be.

But he's not big enough to do what he knows he needs to do and he doesn't have enough experience to handle the surprises people throw at him. That's where his defensive game is held back.

What I personally see (and I said above) is that Barrie needs to take his offensive game to the next level in order to contribute enough at the NHL level to earn a roster spot. Like you said, how many small guys earn a roster spot without good defensive positioning? How many small guys earn a roster without great offensive potential?

I can't think of any small defenders that are more well known for their defensive game than their offensive game. Even Rafalski and Boyle, the epitome of skilled smaller guys, use offense as their best defense.

Once we see Barrie make that leap, I'll pencil him in for a future with our team.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:26 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

5 players added to LEM , i guess a few will be added to AVS training camp

Old
01-08-2013, 02:32 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyAvs View Post
5 players added to LEM , i guess a few will be added to AVS training camp
2 D 2 LW 1 C

With the defensemen, I'd venture to say Elliott and Barrie are going to get looks. Beyond that Sgarbossa, Olver, and Malone or VDG?

Old
01-08-2013, 02:58 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
2 D 2 LW 1 C

With the defensemen, I'd venture to say Elliott and Barrie are going to get looks. Beyond that Sgarbossa, Olver, and Malone or VDG?
Yes that what i think too but i hope to see Agozzino added as well

Old
01-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Nzap
BaltoBaltoBaltoBalto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyAvs View Post
Yes that what i think too but i hope to see Agozzino added as well
They must sign him first though.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Eurolanche
HFB Partner

Send a message via ICQ to Eurolanche Send a message via Skype™ to Eurolanche
Acording to Star Tribune, The Wild will open the 48-game regular season Jan. 19 at home against the Colorado Avalanche.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:59 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurolanche View Post
Acording to Star Tribune, The Wild will open the 48-game regular season Jan. 19 at home against the Colorado Avalanche.
With O'really and Varly we can beat them

Old
01-08-2013, 05:51 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
2 D 2 LW 1 C

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if one of the D's is Pock.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Eurolanche
HFB Partner

Actually, this is going to be my 7th post here, so I am pretty new, but I guess some Avalanche fans knows him longer time (David, Eurolanche.com president). For those fans who are interested in the Eurolanche Coverage, this is our recap of the lockout period for our fan club, which was the most succesfull part in our history, kind of paradox: http://www.eurolanche.com/article.php?id=2328

If you want to read only some interview with the former/current/prospects players of the Avalanche did over past months, this is it: http://www.eurolanche.com/article.php?id=1910

Thanks for the support.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Eurolanche
HFB Partner

Varlamov and his new Avs teammates at the Moscow airport

Old
01-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Eurolanche
HFB Partner

Recap of Varlamov´s lockout career in the KHL:

http://eurolanche.com/article.php?id=2331

Sum up, Varlamov started in 15 games for Lokomotiv and won 11 of them – three wins in the shootouts. He saved 476 of 503 shots (27 goals allowed), what is 94.6 save percentage and 1.74 goals per game. He earned three shutouts, four PIM and played for 928 minutes. He was still the best KHL goalie in major stats even at the end of the lockout.

As you can see, Varlamov definitely was the best goalie in the KHL during his experience with the Lokomotiv and there is no need to add more. Maybe only one stat. From overall 16 games, he allowed more than two goals in one game only for three times – one three goals and two times four goals.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:39 AM
RampageNate
HFB Partner

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Hope yall don't mind if I throw this in here.

Gameday! Rampage vs. Monsters

Closed Thread