HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Lou Lamoriello on NHL lockout: 'I'm embarrassed for the game'

Old
12-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Lou Lamoriello on NHL lockout: 'I'm embarrassed for the game'

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...on_nhl_l.html?

Quote:
But with the lockout having reached its 102nd day without any hint of a breakthrough on a new collective bargaining agreement between the league and its players, Lamoriello voiced his frustration yesterday.

"Iím embarrassed for the game," Lamoriello told The Star-Ledger.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said no talks have been scheduled. With regular season games having been canceled through Jan. 14, the rest of the season will be scrapped unless the two sides can come up with a new CBA in the next two weeks.

"Itís coming down to the wire right now," Lamoriello said. "Weíve just got to trust the people that are involved. Iím embarrassed we are where weíre at. Thatís the best expression I can use."
In past lockouts, Lamoriello has taken an active role in negotiations, working alongside commissioner Gary Bettman in 1994-95, but that hasnít been the case this time.

"Iím not involved the way I was in the past. I canít answer why," Lamoriello said.

Itís easy to speculate why. One of the points in which the owners have held firm during the lockout is the length of contracts. They want five or six-year term limits on new contracts and seven or eight-year limits on re-signing a teamís own players.
Interesting choice of words by Lamoriello. He's embarrassed for the game, which to me at least, doesn't sound like he's letting either side off.

This quote:
"Weíve just got to trust the people that are involved. Iím embarrassed we are where weíre at. Thatís the best expression I can use."
We have to trust the people involved, but... I'm embarrassed we are where we are.

What's Lou trying to say?

As to the speculation about why Lamoriello isn't involved this time, I don't know how you could exclude Lou for his actions in giving out long contracts, but let Leipold on to the negotiating committee. Variance and term limits are on the NHL's wish list, while Leipold approved two massive contracts weeks before the lockout began. Maybe he's not involved because he doesn't like what the NHL has set out as it's wish list (-- and yes, I'm speculating too). As one of the NHL's best GMs, he probably has a good idea of the implications of some of these points from the GM perspective, while as the head of the Devils' operations, he may understand all the economic issues too.

Too bad he didn't say more.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:33 AM
leaffansince1961

Interesting.

Didn't Bettman make statements to the effect that he was disappointed in the 94-95 discussions because the owners made concessions?

Is this a labour negotiation or a power struggle? I believe that Lou would be a great asset for a negotiation.

leaffansince1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
embarrassed for the game? he should be embarrassed being part of the game.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
The Kovalchuk contract(s) and the mess involved probably didn't make him any friends among the league leadership.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Xref

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
The Kovalchuk contract(s) and the mess involved probably didn't make him any friends among the league leadership.
Lou stated publicly that he was dead against that. His owner intervened and forced the deal down his throat. The NHL really cannot hold that mess against Lou.

Xref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
How do you feel about Leipold and Snider then?

Old
12-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Brick City
Ignore me!

I am really glad that no one associated with the Devils (besides our newcomer Barch, but he has not played a game for us yet) has been publicly involved in either side of this fiasco.

Brick City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick City View Post
I am really glad that no one associated with the Devils (besides our newcomer Barch, but he has not played a game for us yet) has been publicly involved in either side of this fiasco.

What do you think Lou meant with his comments?

Old
12-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick City View Post
They voted to lockout so no they don't get a pass.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
How do you feel about Leipold and Snider then?
After the Kovalchuk mess there was a settlement so the league can't challenge long term contracts that are within certain limits. From the league's perspective I think, while undesirable, those contracts are ok.

This is, if I have to guess, Lamoriello is in the cold and Leopold isn't.

Personally, I don't "feel" anything about any of them. They're acting in what they believe is a rational way even if it screws the league. That's why we need changes to contracting rules.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:13 AM
berklon

The NHL's been embarrassing even before the lockout.

berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
After the Kovalchuk mess there was a settlement so the league can't challenge long term contracts that are within certain limits. From the league's perspective I think, while undesirable, those contracts are ok.

This is, if I have to guess, Lamoriello is in the cold and Leopold isn't.

Personally, I don't "feel" anything about any of them. They're acting in what they believe it a rational way even if it screws the league. That's why we need changes to contracting rules.

My point was why would Lou be in the cold and owners who worked against every intent of the cap system, even if declared legal by the NHL, be part of the negotiating committee?

Technically, Lou gave a out a contract that the CBA allowed. We all knew that every one one of those long contracts with extreme variance was a cap circumvention in intent-- which ultimately what an arbitrator ruled about the Kovalchuk contract. It was identical to the others, just extreme.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Brick City
Ignore me!

Quote:
I think Lou was saying this whole mess is an embarrassment to everyone involved - he was not towing the NHL's or Bettman's line and attacking just the players. Maybe I should have been more clear, I meant there has not been much partisan comments from the Devils camp during the lockout. Union representative Clarkson has been quiet as have most prominent Devils. I think Kovy made a comment awhile back that was interpreted as he might stay in Russia but that was about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
They voted to lockout so no they don't get a pass.
Completely agree, I did not write anything that suggested they should get one. Everything is relative though - I prefer Vanderbeek to public hardliners Jacobs/Leipold/Snider just as I prefer the Devils players' mostly radio silence to the clowns on twitter from the NHLPA side. Of course, the latter comes from being part of an organization run by Lou Lamoriello.

Brick City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
My point was why would Lou be in the cold and owners who worked against every intent of the cap system, even if declared legal by the NHL, be part of the negotiating committee?

Technically, Lou gave a out a contract that the CBA allowed. We all knew that every one one of those long contracts with extreme variance was a cap circumvention in intent-- which ultimately what an arbitrator ruled about the Kovalchuk contract. It was identical to the others, just extreme.
Lamoriello went 150 mph while Holland, Bowman and others went 90 mph. Sure, they all were technically speeding but Lamoriello went far over the line despite being warned and was punished for it. Lamoriello holding a press conference flaunting it in the leagues face before the league had reviewed the contract probably didn't work in his favor either.

I have no doubt another GM would have tried to push an equally absurd contract though had not Lamoriello done it.

The Parise, Suter and Weber contracts are completely different because it is clearly defined what is allowed and is not these days.

Last edited by Freudian: 12-27-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old
12-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
I think he's being pretty frank & honest, accepts some responsibility for the hash of a mess the game finds itself in. "Embarrassed" in as much as he likely feel's it couldve perhaps been avoided. Systemic problems engendering an extremely expensive internecine war between the league & its talent. Some serious collateral damage already caused, more to come the longer it plays out. As part of the "establishment", management, he's owning up, admitting to being culpable, though in a broader sense & objectively suggesting its not just the NHL thats at fault here. Its just downright embarrassing for everyone really. The league, the NHLPA...

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:18 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I can tell Lou why he isn't involved.

A) He will be retiring soon, and the people that will have to deal with whatever rules are in the new CBA should be the ones with the most input.

B) He either missed some major loopholes in the last go around, or he designed them in so he could take advantage of them.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:28 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Why does everyone assume Lou's not involved because the league's mad at him? Maybe he's mad at THEM, for their outrageous punishment of the Devils for a contract that got disallowed anyway? Not to mention the blatant and unpunished public tampering by the Wild with Parise?

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Xref

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Why does everyone assume Lou's not involved because the league's mad at him? Maybe he's mad at THEM, for their outrageous punishment of the Devils for a contract that got disallowed anyway? Not to mention the blatant and unpunished public tampering by the Wild with Parise?
What tampering?

Xref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:38 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Lamoriello went 150 mph while Holland, Bowman and others went 90 mph. Sure, they all were technically speeding but Lamoriello went far over the line despite being warned and was punished for it. Lamoriello holding a press conference flaunting it in the leagues face before the league had reviewed the contract probably didn't work in his favor either.

I have no doubt another GM would have tried to push an equally absurd contract though had not Lamoriello done it.

The Parise, Suter and Weber contracts are completely different because it is clearly defined what is allowed and is not these days.
You're pretty funny because the penalty imposed on the Devils is a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I can tell Lou why he isn't involved.

A) He will be retiring soon, and the people that will have to deal with whatever rules are in the new CBA should be the ones with the most input.

B) He either missed some major loopholes in the last go around, or he designed them in so he could take advantage of them.
And hows that working out for us?

Last edited by Crease: 12-27-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: We don't LOL here...
JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Cowbell232

I going out on a very, very long limb here... but I believe Lou owns a small (albeit 1% maybe?) of the team, or the ownership group that owns the team. Maybe he simply doesn't want to be a conflict of interest?

Lou owned part of the Yankees (according to citation in Wikipedia). The Yankees owned the Devils at one time... I'm not sure of this, but he's probably a very small owner of the team.

Furthermore, I doubt the Kovy saga has anything to do with the fact that he doesn't want to be involved. It's probably a kin to the PA letting the younger guys be more involved... How much more of this will Lou bother with?

Old
12-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Crease

Folks, lets stay on topic here and address Lou's stance on the lockout. The merits of different defensive styles have no place on the BoH board.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Greschner4

The guy said he was embarrassed for the sport.

The fact that the league isn't playing games at this point given the small differences between the sides is, in fact, an abject embarrassment.

So, yeah.

It's best sometimes not to overcomplicate things.

Greschner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:50 AM
DuklaNation

Lou had a role in creating the situation we see before us today (concessions that had 'unintended' consequences). What makes a good GM does not necessarily make a good negotiator for a league. What they need is some corporate finance deal makers to step in here.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:51 AM
MoreOrr
B4

I'd speculate that he's not part of the negotiation process because his views are not held by the majority or by those who ultimately control the direction the owners are presenting. I think that's the simplest answer. And perhaps he was part of some of the concessions that the owners gave into last time, and this time they're not going to make such concessions.

He says he's embarrassed by the sport, because he thinks all of these lockouts are bad for the sports reputation. I don't think that means he is against the lockout, but just that it's shameful that it's happening yet again, that the League can't get its house in order and not keep needing these lockouts to try to resolve things.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:53 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
I thought Lou was on the BOG? I know he was for many years, when did he lose his seat?

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote