HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Ted Nolan?

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2005, 04:09 AM
Narg

vCash: 500
Ted Nolan?

What's the deal with him? I've always heard tidbits about his controversial firing, and 'blacklisting' but can anyone tell me the full story on what happened to him?

Old
02-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nargamaniac
What's the deal with him? I've always heard tidbits about his controversial firing, and 'blacklisting' but can anyone tell me the full story on what happened to him?
From what I know and hopefully this is an accurate summarization:

Nolan had differences in opinion on personel decisions under then current GM John Muckler. Rigas took over and favored Nolan, from what I heard, and allowed Muckler to be fired. However, when Regier was hired, the year after Nolan was Coach of the Year, Darcy was given the option of picking his coach. Despite the team's success and Nolan's "award winning" performance he was only offered a 1 year (maybe two) contract. Ted was insulted and declined assuming he would easily find another team after what he did with less than spectacular talent in Buffalo.

Unfortunately, he was labeled as a "GM killer" and officially or unofficially was "blacklisted" throughout the league. He had opportunities to work his way back up in the minors but thought that he was better than that. He didn't want to take a step back and after flying everywhere wasn't about to start traveling by bus again. I'm not quite sure where he is now, but last I heard I believe it was coaching younger players in Canada.

Maybe someone heard differently then me and can explain what they know. Especially if they have more updated information. Please feel free to correct any mistakes in my recolection.

Old
02-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5
From what I know and hopefully this is an accurate summarization:

Nolan had differences in opinion on personel decisions under then current GM John Muckler. Rigas took over and favored Nolan, from what I heard, and allowed Muckler to be fired. However, when Regier was hired, the year after Nolan was Coach of the Year, Darcy was given the option of picking his coach. Despite the team's success and Nolan's "award winning" performance he was only offered a 1 year (maybe two) contract. Ted was insulted and declined assuming he would easily find another team after what he did with less than spectacular talent in Buffalo.

Unfortunately, he was labeled as a "GM killer" and officially or unofficially was "blacklisted" throughout the league. He had opportunities to work his way back up in the minors but thought that he was better than that. He didn't want to take a step back and after flying everywhere wasn't about to start traveling by bus again. I'm not quite sure where he is now, but last I heard I believe it was coaching younger players in Canada.

Maybe someone heard differently then me and can explain what they know. Especially if they have more updated information. Please feel free to correct any mistakes in my recolection.
And lets not forget that he's reportedly turned down two opportunities to be headcoach (Tampa, NY Islanders) and that his supposed blacklisting has come with equal parts of his own choices.

BTW, a fair measure of the issue comes from Dom's displeasure with the way Nolan "bonded" members of the team (Canadian Ballet, nights out at the bar) and then there was the incident in Boston when Nolan ordered the workaholic Hasek off the ice. They couldn't mend that fence, Muckler not being a fool was bound to stick with his all-world, MVP-winning franchise player and that cost him his job because Larry Quinn had to put his two cents in. Quinn sided with his "buddy" Nolan (who he had ironically nearly canned in favor of Quinn's celebrity-game pal Terry O'Reilly the previous February) in what looked like a way to push Muckler aside and become the GM Quinn (or his pal O'Reilly) seemed to think he could be.

- So Mucks gets canned by Quinn as Larry sides with Nolan and creates a pretext for bringing in his "friend" O'Reilly as coach
- then Quinn hires some clerical patsy from the Islanders as a temporary fall guy (sadly, he seems to have underestimated Regier's tenacity) to be GM
- who then "offends" a coach who was rumored to have tried to broker trades through his pal Sherry Bassin behind Muckler's back AND who was on the outs with the team's only star player with a one year deal to see if they could work together,
- who leaves in a snit and continues to not only not do what it takes to get back into the NHL coaching ranks (head coach in the CHL or AHL, assistant in the NHL or EVEN taking one of the two positions as head coach that have reportedly been offered to him) yet still plays up the "whoa is me, I did nothing wrong" act
- and is replaced by Ruff who despite his shortcomings has both been able to work with his one-time star player as well as his GM over his now lengthy tenure as coach including consecutive deep runs into the playoffs.
- while Quinn gets canned when the Knoxes are finally officially bought out and an equally nepotistic, destructive move happens as Regier puts his sloth, err son Tim in charge as team president.

To complete the circle, Quinn played any and all sides after the Regiers went belly-up (he was associated with three of the groups at different points) in order to return to the scene of his downfall triumphant. I'm still waiting for his ego to get the better of him and that more than anything is why I worry about the future of the franchise.

02-22-2005, 11:53 AM
rabi

and don't forget his fling with Dominik's wife...

Old
02-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi
and don't forget his fling with Dominik's wife...

I'm missing the sarcasm tags.....

Old
02-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
- while Quinn gets canned when the Knoxes are finally officially bought out and an equally nepotistic, destructive move happens as Regier puts his sloth, err son Tim in charge as team
Rigas, not Regier

Old
02-22-2005, 02:25 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nargamaniac
Ted Nolan was NOT fired !!!!!!

Nolan was NOT fired, he walked away. He was offered a one-year deal by the Sabres, refused it and put himself on the market as a free agent.

Nolan had won the Jack Adams Award as coach of the year in 1996-97. After the season, Nolan refused new general manager Darcy Regier's offer of a one-year contract extension saying the offer was insulting. He was quite a jerk using the press to snipe at Regier as he had done with Muckler before him. Regier then decided he couldn't work with Nolan and hired Lindy Ruff who has taken the Sabres to places Nolan hasnít (Conference and Cup finals).

Nolan has not coached professionally since and has refused to consider anything less than a head coaching job. Most head coaches who are looking for work accept associate coaching jobs (Roger Neilson for example)or work minor pro while waiting for the opportunity to get the top job in the NHL. That at least keeps you in the game and current with the league. He's been offered head coaching jobs in the OHL, but wasn't interested. Not Ted Nolan - he's too good for that.

He clashed publicly on several occasions with Dominic Hasek and used the press to snipe at Hasek. Not a smart thing to do with your superstar who has a no-trade contract and who has won the Vezina and is the league MVP. Finally Hasek who had been silent throughout the turmoil was quoted as saying he didn't want Nolan to return. Matthew Barnaby a staunch Nolan supporter, blamed Dominik Hasek for Nolan's departure and went so far as to announce that he would run the superstar goaltender at the upcoming training camp.

The rumors that have circulated since his departure from the Sabres are what many think are preventing his return. He is said to have fought with former Sabres GM John Muckler and cost Muckler his job by going behind Muckler's back to team President, Larry Quinn. He was quoted as saying of Muckler "We just had trouble working together -- we didn't hit it off."

If the rumours are true, what GM wants a guy who is going to get him fired? There have been other rumours of drunkeness, missing practises and affairs as well. Nolan carries a lot of baggage.

Nolan now seems to regret his actions and attitude. In a January 2003 in article in The Sporting News he said:
"The first couple of years are really the chip-on-your-shoulder years," Nolan says from his home in St. Catharines, Ontario. "I wanted to get back in to prove them all wrong. That was the wrong approach for me. It took a lot of my time and energy, and I kind of lost focus."

He was interviewed for the vacant Flames head coaching job after Greg Gilbert was fired. Darryl Sutter was hired. Nolan's record does not compare to Sutter who coached three years with the Blackhawks and more than five seasons with the Sharks where he had improved the team's record each year during his tenure. In the 2001-02 season the Sharks won the Pacific Division with 99 points and posted a 7-5 record in the playoffs.

More to the point Nolan is a coach with a couple of year's experience as a head coach in the NHL, who had an overly inflated opinion of himself and acted like a jerk towards his bosses and the businesses top asset (Hasek). You try that and see how long you last in your job. Couple that with an arrogant attitude and 8 years out of the game, it is not surprising he is not first on any GM's list to be hired.

Ted Nolan - an unemployed coach with good PR and not much of a recent resume or desirable attributes. HMMMMMM - seems like a good fit for the Leafs.

Old
02-22-2005, 03:34 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
The central issue with Nolan was that he was not Muckler's choice. Muckler had built a disappointing team with a bloated payroll that was bleeding red ink. As a result higher authority (ownership and club president, Doug Moss) intervened. Muckler was stripped of his coaching duties and came within a whisker of being fired. The only reason he wasn't fired was the team didn't want to pay off his contract and they figured he couldn't screw up too bad doing a salary dump. Muckler was just supposed to finish out his contract and be a caretaker. When it came time to hire a coach, Doug Moss did the hiring and picked Nolan over Muckler's choice, John Tortorella. The bad blood started the day Nolan was hired. Muckler did everything he could to get rid of Nolan right from the outset. He attempted to fire Nolan after his first season and again during his second season, and was overruled by Moss. Muckler did everything in his power to sabotage Nolan, and Nolan returned it in kind. It was a 2 year battle with each trying to get the other fired. There was never snowball's chance in hell that those two could ever work together. I hold Doug Moss responsible for this fiasco. He either should have fired Muckler or given him full GM powers. I appreciate the energy and excitement that Nolan brought to the team, but in the end, Tortorella was the better choice.

Closed Thread