HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Maxim Shalunov Suspended 1 Game

Old
12-27-2012, 09:26 AM
SH15

vCash: 500
Maxim Shalunov Suspended 1 Game

Shalunov suspended 1 game for Crosscheck to the face

SH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:30 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Dirty Russians.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Xokkeu

He earned that one.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Drij

Canada better watch out.

Drij is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:47 AM
luongo321

vCash: 50
He was just protecting himself. Gotta practice for when he plays those dirty Canadians.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Richter915

Shalunov was frustrated the entire game, now he pays and will miss an entire game.

Richter915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:48 AM
SH15

To me, this is dirtier than Jenner's hit. I am fine with the resulting suspensions for each, the Swedish kid was hurt pretty badly and Jenner was suspended at last years WJC. But if we're talking about the dirty of the dirty, this play as well as Yarullin's headshot and Khokhlachev's low bridge hit were ALL dirtier than Jenner's hit IMO.

But...Canadians are just so evil

Old
12-27-2012, 09:50 AM
agent082

Two for that would have been better.

agent082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
He was just protecting himself. Gotta practice for when he plays those dirty Canadians.
Does the IIHF release reasoning on their suspensions?

Old
12-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
He earned that one.
Did he earn it? If I'm not mistaken, you mentioned yesterday (maybe sarcastically) that the Slovak player was guilty of interference (I agree, the puck was long gone when he tried to nail Shalunov) and that Shalunov didn't get his stick up high. He was merely extending it to ward off the check, which happens 100 times a game, from below his chest outward. Look at the picture above and you can clearly see that his stick is not high. It appears that the Slovak player is falling, which Shalunov could not anticipate. Under the circumstances, in an instant during the heat of the action, I can understand making the call, but after reviewing it, I don't see justification for a suspension. Blood was drawn, but, unlike the Jenner hit, there is not sufficient basis to conclude that it was deliberate and planned in advance.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Q Continuum
The trial never ends

vCash: 691
Wow. Jenner gets three, but deliberately cranking a guy in the face with your stick only gets one?

This **** is bunk.

Q Continuum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Did he earn it? If I'm not mistaken, you mentioned yesterday (maybe sarcastically) that the Slovak player was guilty of interference (I agree, the puck was long gone when he tried to nail Shalunov) and that Shalunov didn't get his stick up high. He was merely extending it to ward off the check, which happens 100 times a game, from below his chest outward. Look at the picture above and you can clearly see that his stick is not high. It appears that the Slovak player is falling, which Shalunov could not anticipate. Under the circumstances, in an instant during the heat of the action, I can understand making the call, but after reviewing it, I don't see justification for a suspension. Blood was drawn, but, unlike the Jenner hit, there is not sufficient basis to conclude that it was deliberate and planned in advance.
I think he wasn't suspended for the entire tournament specifically because the Slovak player went to hit him and he probably reacted to that trying to defend himself. You still can't cross check somebody in the face however. If the Slovak player had been skating along following the other players and Shalunov just chopped him out of nowhere he'd be in much bigger trouble. That's why I'd like to know if the IIHF releases it's reasoning. I think that nature of Slovak player going for a hit on Shalunov when he didn't have the puck likely mitigated the penalty.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
To me, this is dirtier than Jenner's hit. I am fine with the resulting suspensions for each, the Swedish kid was hurt pretty badly and Jenner was suspended at last years WJC. But if we're talking about the dirty of the dirty, this play as well as Yarullin's headshot and Khokhlachev's low bridge hit were ALL dirtier than Jenner's hit IMO.

But...Canadians are just so evil
That's ridiculous! Jenner took about six steps while the Swedish player's head was clearly turned, and the puck was on the other side of the ice. Jenner's hit was a deliberate intent to injure, while Shalunov's was an instant reaction to protect himself from an illegal hit.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:59 AM
SH15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Wow. Jenner gets three, but deliberately cranking a guy in the face with your stick only gets one?

This **** is bunk.
I agree this is dirtier than Jenner's hit, but the Jenner suspension is tied to the injury that resulted and the fact that he is a repeat offender.

If this crosscheck broke the Slovak's jaw and Shalunov had been suspended last year too, he would've got more than 1 game for sure.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:01 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Varly Varly

vCash: 262
Quote:
That's ridiculous! Jenner took about six steps while the Swedish player's head was clearly turned, and the puck was on the other side of the ice. Jenner's hit was a deliberate intent to injure, while Shalunov's was an instant reaction to protect himself from an illegal hit.
he took zero "steps", also 6 strides in about a second and a half is a quite impressive feat.

skip2mybordeleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:03 AM
SH15

Quote:
The only thing wrong Jenner's hit was that it was about half a second late. Which is not a lot of time in a fast game like hockey. I don't want to come off like I'm defending Jenner, no way. Late hit, kid was hurt, repeat offender, boom 3 games for sure.

But for me, crosschecking someone in the face is far dirtier than throwing a clean hit that was just a bit too late.

Let's be honest here, if the Swede pops up and is fine, no suspension for Jenner. The Slovak was/is fine and Shalunov still gets suspended. That right there should tell you which of the two plays is dirtier. Jenner's suspension is tied directly to the resulting injury and his past suspension history.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Q Continuum
The trial never ends

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
I agree this is dirtier than Jenner's hit, but the Jenner suspension is tied to the injury that resulted and the fact that he is a repeat offender.

If this crosscheck broke the Slovak's jaw and Shalunov had been suspended last year too, he would've got more than 1 game for sure.
I get that, and it's crap. The outcome should have no bearing on discipline.

Q Continuum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Jenner did not take 1 stride. He was gliding from nearly the blueline.

A bodycheck is something allowed in hockey, hitting someone in the face with your stick is not.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:10 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Varly Varly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
I get that, and it's crap. The outcome should have no bearing on discipline.
the question is does it, i have no knowledge of iihf rulings, but the nhl now takes the outcome of a dirty play into consideration when a dirty play is made.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
the question is does it, i have no knowledge of iihf rulings, but the nhl now takes the outcome of a dirty play into consideration when a dirty play is made.
I'm fairly certain that injury is a factor considered in their disciplinary rulings.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Pepper

Looks like a reactionary crosscheck, worth 1-2 games.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:15 AM
NicoSB

I can't understand how one can defend him. Yes, the Slovak was late but he saw him coming. It was a stupid action and has to be punished. Out and over.

NicoSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:16 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Varly Varly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I'm fairly certain that injury is a factor considered in their disciplinary rulings.
which would make sense on one ruling getting a bigger suspension than the other, had their been no injury on the jenner hit i would be shocked if it was more than 1 game to be honest.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:17 AM
SH15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
Whether it's written down or not, I would think resulting injury most definitely affects suspension decisions.

If the Swedish kid pops up and is fine, zero games for Jenner
He's hurt pretty badly, so 3 games for Jenner
Heaven forbid anything worse injury wise, I'm sure Jenner would be gone for the tournament

Likewise with Shalunov, if the Solvak had a broken jaw or was knocked out cold and fell and smashed his face on the ice, Shalunov would surely get more than 1 game.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:17 AM
MOGiLNY

Send a message via MSN to MOGiLNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoSB View Post
I can't understand how one can defend him. Yes, the Slovak was late but he saw him coming. It was a stupid action and has to be punished. Out and over.
nobody is defending him as far as I can see..

MOGiLNY is offline   Reply With Quote