HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Maxim Shalunov Suspended 1 Game

Old
12-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
which would make sense on one ruling getting a bigger suspension than the other, had their been no injury on the jenner hit i would be shocked if it was more than 1 game to be honest.
It probably would have been less yeah. Jenner also has a history from last year. He wasn't suspended for the spear, but Canada didn't have any games left anyway.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGiLNY View Post
nobody is defending him as far as I can see..
Oh really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
That's ridiculous! Jenner took about six steps while the Swedish player's head was clearly turned, and the puck was on the other side of the ice. Jenner's hit was a deliberate intent to injure, while Shalunov's was an instant reaction to protect himself from an illegal hit.

Q Continuum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
nobody is defending him as far as I can see..
Quote:
That's ridiculous! Jenner took about six steps while the Swedish player's head was clearly turned, and the puck was on the other side of the ice. Jenner's hit was a deliberate intent to injure, while Shalunov's was an instant reaction to protect himself from an illegal hit.
Quote:
Did he earn it? If I'm not mistaken, you mentioned yesterday (maybe sarcastically) that the Slovak player was guilty of interference (I agree, the puck was long gone when he tried to nail Shalunov) and that Shalunov didn't get his stick up high. He was merely extending it to ward off the check, which happens 100 times a game, from below his chest outward. Look at the picture above and you can clearly see that his stick is not high. It appears that the Slovak player is falling, which Shalunov could not anticipate. Under the circumstances, in an instant during the heat of the action, I can understand making the call, but after reviewing it, I don't see justification for a suspension. Blood was drawn, but, unlike the Jenner hit, there is not sufficient basis to conclude that it was deliberate and planned in advance.

But I guess he doesn't really count since he is one of the biggest jokes on HF. Still, there is someone defending this.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Oh really?
Was that defending Shalunov? That's basicly what happened, doesn't make it any less illegal.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:21 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
It probably would have been less yeah. Jenner also has a history from last year. He wasn't suspended for the spear, but Canada didn't have any games left anyway.
and imo that spear had more intent than his hit did, but punishments been made no point complaining about it now.

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:23 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
The only thing wrong Jenner's hit was that it was about half a second late. Which is not a lot of time in a fast game like hockey. I don't want to come off like I'm defending Jenner, no way. Late hit, kid was hurt, repeat offender, boom 3 games for sure.

But for me, crosschecking someone in the face is far dirtier than throwing a clean hit that was just a bit too late.

Let's be honest here, if the Swede pops up and is fine, no suspension for Jenner. The Slovak was/is fine and Shalunov still gets suspended. That right there should tell you which of the two plays is dirtier. Jenner's suspension is tied directly to the resulting injury and his past suspension history.
and i would be fine with everything in this post if it happened.

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:23 AM
MOGiLNY

Send a message via MSN to MOGiLNY
Quote:
Oh really?
he's explaining why Jenner got 3 games and why Shalunov got 1 game.. don't think he is saying it was a clean play or that Shalunov is innocent

MOGiLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Quote:
he's explaining why Jenner got 3 games and why Shalunov got 1 game.. don't think he is saying it was a clean play or that Shalunov is innocent
He tries to justify and defend it by saying he was only protecting himself. Give me a break.

Q Continuum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Was that defending Shalunov? That's basicly what happened, doesn't make it any less illegal.
Quote:
Take off the blinders and read this.

Quote:
Did he earn it? If I'm not mistaken, you mentioned yesterday (maybe sarcastically) that the Slovak player was guilty of interference (I agree, the puck was long gone when he tried to nail Shalunov) and that Shalunov didn't get his stick up high. He was merely extending it to ward off the check, which happens 100 times a game, from below his chest outward. Look at the picture above and you can clearly see that his stick is not high. It appears that the Slovak player is falling, which Shalunov could not anticipate. Under the circumstances, in an instant during the heat of the action, I can understand making the call, but after reviewing it, I don't see justification for a suspension. Blood was drawn, but, unlike the Jenner hit, there is not sufficient basis to conclude that it was deliberate and planned in advance.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:31 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

one game seems fair.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:35 AM
LOFIN

Outcome of the incident is used to measure the punishment in every aspect of life, the law as well. Drive through the red light, you get a fine and maybe your licence suspended. Do the same and drive over a pedestrian crossing the road who gets killed in the crash, you get charged with manslaughter on top of the other punnishments.

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:36 AM
MXD

A 1-2 game(s) hit resulting in a 1-game suspension.

However, if something happens to the Slovak player, that would (or should) have been the boot.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Take off the blinders and read this.
I wasn't defending the poster, I was talking about the quoted part.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:42 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
I get that, and it's crap. The outcome should have no bearing on discipline.
Why shouldn't outcome have any bearing? It does EVERYWHERE in life.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
I was planing on making a canada joke when i saw the crosscheck but the canadians in this thread already beat me to it...

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:53 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Dude was on his knees..

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Dude was on his knees..
So being low means someone is allowed to use their stick to smash your face? I'll remember that, hopefully the ref in my game agrees.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:01 AM
luongo321

Quote:
I get that, and it's crap. The outcome should have no bearing on discipline.
I do understand what you're saying, but the outcome should have some weight. A bit of both.

luongo321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:18 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
But I guess he doesn't really count since he is one of the biggest jokes on HF. Still, there is someone defending this.
Almost as ridicolous as all of those defending Jenner.

Well deserved suspension, hopefully he didnt get injured.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
The Slovak seemed like he thought the puck was now with Shalunov. I would hardly say he was trying to nail him though.

I agree with your post otherwise. It looked like Salunov was warding off a check and not bringing his stick up, and unlikely was targetting the head.

The double minor was warranted, but I don't see the suspension either. One game is plenty if there must be one.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
To me, this is dirtier than Jenner's hit.
Quote:
Wow. Jenner gets three, but deliberately cranking a guy in the face with your stick only gets one?
You guys are nuts! With all these buzz about hits to the head, you say that some soft crosscheck is dirtier? It's not some two-handed slash!
I'm not defending Shalunov or overly blaming Jenner (both suspensions are accurate IMO, both maybe even a game too much), but would you prefer to have a concussion over a cut on your face? One may result in life-changing condition, the other - in a scar.

Quote:
But for me, crosschecking someone in the face is far dirtier than throwing a clean hit that was just a bit too late.
And elbowing is throwing a clean hit just with an elbow?

Quote:
Let's be honest here, if the Swede pops up and is fine, no suspension for Jenner. The Slovak was/is fine and Shalunov still gets suspended. That right there should tell you which of the two plays is dirtier. Jenner's suspension is tied directly to the resulting injury and his past suspension history.
Cool definition of fine. Let me slice your face.
If the Slovak doesn't get cut, it's 2 minutes.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Almost as ridicolous as all of those defending Jenner.

Well deserved suspension, hopefully he didnt get injured.
He was bleeding, so he was certainly hurt to some degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
You guys are nuts! With all these buzz about hits to the head, you say that some soft crosscheck is dirtier? It's not some two-handed slash!
I'm not defending Shalunov or overly blaming Jenner (both suspensions are accurate IMO, both maybe even a game too much), but would you prefer to have a concussion over a cut on your face? One may result in life-changing condition, the other - in a scar.

And elbowing is throwing a clean hit just with an elbow?

Cool definition of fine. Let me slice your face.
If the Slovak doesn't get cut, it's 2 minutes.
Cross checking somebody in the face can result in a concussion.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:29 AM
luongo321

Quote:
The only thing wrong Jenner's hit was that it was about half a second late. Which is not a lot of time in a fast game like hockey. I don't want to come off like I'm defending Jenner, no way. Late hit, kid was hurt, repeat offender, boom 3 games for sure.

That's just semantics to describe a hit. For me, the element of surprise is the reason why so many players end up injured and with concussions. No time to brace and then BAM. A 'clean' late hit should still be classified as dirty as all hell. There's a reason why sucker punches usually do so much more damage than a normal punch.
Hearing all of thise 'admiring his pass' business is just absolute nonsense. It is something that I think we will see slowly fade out of hockey. It's about having respect for the other player and their health. People shouldn't have to expect to be hit late. I mean, if they are looking out for their own safety then yes, but there will always be a time where you are so focused on the play that someone can take advantage of that and put you out of the game with an unsuspecting late hit.

luongo321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Cross checking somebody in the face can result in a concussion.
That crosscheck? Come on!

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:31 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
That's just semantics to describe a hit. For me, the element of surprise is the reason why so many players end up injured. No time to brace and then BAM. A 'clean' late hit should still be classified as dirty as all hell. There's a reason why sucker punches usually do so much more damage than a normal punch.
But semantics is how people justify half the posts on this board. Throw in terms like "just a little" and you can pretty much defend anything.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote