HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Maxim Shalunov Suspended 1 Game

Old
12-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
That crosscheck? Come on!
One never knows. His head snaps back and that's what causes concussions, rapid movements of the head that the neck muscles aren't prepared for. I think the suspension was appropriate because you can't be making contact with the head with your stick because it can lead to severe injury.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
So being low means someone is allowed to use their stick to smash your face? I'll remember that, hopefully the ref in my game agrees.
Of course not, but that's a play that happens very often, usually the opponent doesn't have his head that low.
He got a game and it's well deserved.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:35 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
So being low means someone is allowed to use their stick to smash your face? I'll remember that, hopefully the ref in my game agrees.
No but it would have been a lot uglier if he was actually standing up and got cross checked in the face Pronger-style.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post

Cross checking somebody in the face can result in a concussion.
It certainly can, but the lack of concussion in this case is evidence that the cross check lacked the necessary force.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
It certainly can, but the lack of concussion in this case is evidence that the cross check lacked the necessary force.
That's not always the case. Many factors other than the initial force can lead to a concussion.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
No but it would have been a lot uglier if he was actually standing up and got cross checked in the face Pronger-style.
So because he didn't kill the guy its ok. Sorry but a stick to the face, cross check none the ess, is never ok. Hitting someone with your stick in the face is on par with kicking someone (no blade)

Leo Trollmarov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:42 AM
masseman3

Quote:
Jenner did not take 1 stride. He was gliding from nearly the blueline.

A bodycheck is something allowed in hockey, hitting someone in the face with your stick is not.
Let's get this straight once since some people are having trouble letting it sink in - a late bodycheck is not allowed in hockey.

masseman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:43 AM
TheBeastCoast

vCash: 893
Quote:
That crosscheck? Come on!
Jenners hit didnt cause a concussion your point?

TheBeastCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:43 AM
KulleKing*

Quote:
So because he didn't kill the guy its ok. Sorry but a stick to the face, cross check none the ess, is never ok. Hitting someone with your stick in the face is on par with kicking someone (no blade)
If he would have not hit his face with the stick, it would have been a clean hit. Also he had no time to react and the slovak should have protected himself. Stop vilifying the russians.

Did I got that right?

KulleKing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:44 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
You are putting words in my mouth and at the same time defending Jenner. Hilarious.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:45 AM
SH15

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
That's just semantics to describe a hit. For me, the element of surprise is the reason why so many players end up injured and with concussions. No time to brace and then BAM. A 'clean' late hit should still be classified as dirty as all hell. There's a reason why sucker punches usually do so much more damage than a normal punch.
Hearing all of thise 'admiring his pass' business is just absolute nonsense. It is something that I think we will see slowly fade out of hockey. It's about having respect for the other player and their health. People shouldn't have to expect to be hit late. I mean, if they are looking out for their own safety then yes, but there will always be a time where you are so focused on the play that someone can take advantage of that and put you out of the game with an unsuspecting late hit.
You're right, I shouldn't have said a clean hit that was a bit too late. The fact that it was late makes it not clean at all. I was trying to reference that the ONLY thing wrong with Jenner's hit was that it was almost half a second too late (not much time folks). The rest of the hit was shoulder to chest, no headshot, no elbow. Things that would also fall in the dirty category.

For me throwing a hit about half a second too late is not as dirty as crosschecking someone in the face. (Shalunov) Or a blindside headshot. (Yarullin) Or a low bridge hit. (Khokhlachev)

But it's not going to matter. People will argue till their blue in the face in support of their country. The Russians had 3 acts dirtier than the Jenner hit in yesterday's game alone. At least Jenner was head on, shoulder to chest. But late, yes. The lateness was bad, and he is paying the price, but at least it wasn't gutless and dirty like the 3 Russian acts yesterday.

Dirty dirty Russians.

SH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
You are putting words in my mouth and at the same time defending Jenner. Hilarious.
I said nothing of Jenner, late hits or checking anywhere in that post. Talk about putting words in someones mouth,

Old
12-27-2012, 11:47 AM
onice

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
(I agree, the puck was long gone when he tried to nail Shalunov) and that Shalunov didn't get his stick up high. He was merely extending it to ward off the check, which happens 100 times a game, from below his chest outward. 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
. Jenner's hit was a deliberate intent to injure, while Shalunov's was an instant reaction to protect himself from an illegal hit.
Your posts are good examples of rationalizations that go on in this forum by everyone - the North Americans & Europeans.

Twice you state that the Slovak was going to hit Shalunov which is a total fabrication on your part. Look at the video and you'll see that the most The Slovak was going to do was cover Shalunov not hit him. The Slovak was leaning over long before he approached Shalunov. Making excuses for Shalunov crosschecking an opposing player in the face is just that: making an excuse. But when the assumption is that Canadians are dirty you can't show Europeans playing dirty. You need to make an excuse to prove the point that Canadians are dirty.

Jenner's play was illegal because it was a late hit. If the Swede still had the puck there was nothing illegal about that hit. Jenner hit him in the chest and he didn't leave his feet. I'm okay with the suspension. Actually, I think that could work in Team Canada's favour. This is not a lunch pail team. they're a finesse team and they should start playing to their strength.

But I love how many Europeans on this board point the finger to Canadian players but are ready to make all sort of excuses when Europeans are caught committing vicious acts. In that Russia Slovak game in the third period a Slovakian defenceman crosschecked a Russian player to the back of the head below the helmet and the Russian player was on the ice for quite awhile. I liked to hear your excuses for that play.

Hockey is a fast physical game and all players engage in questionable acts of violence. To claim one nation is more dirty than another is just plain hypocrisy.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulleKing View Post
If he would have not hit his face with the stick, it would have been a clean hit. Also he had no time to react and the slovak should have protected himself. Stop vilifying the russians.

Did I got that right?
Almost. I know you are implying Jenner was wrong because it was late, and you are correct, he was in the wrong. I don't think 3 games wrong, but he should have got 2 + 5 + the game. This situation involves a stick crosschecked into a guys bare face. Defend all you want, but that sort of play is the worst in hockey.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
One never knows. His head snaps back and that's what causes concussions, rapid movements of the head that the neck muscles aren't prepared for. I think the suspension was appropriate because you can't be making contact with the head with your stick because it can lead to severe injury.
I don't argue against the suspension, it was an undisciplined act and the punishment isn't excessively severe. I'm just saying that picturing this cross-check as something very dirty, dirtier than a late hit with head contact, is strange.

What is a hard and dangerous cross-check? This could lead to a serious injury if the stick went into Schenn's face:

Shalunov's cross-check was nothing comparable!

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
I don't argue against the suspension, it was an undisciplined act and the punishment isn't excessively severe. I'm just saying that picturing this cross-check as something very dirty, dirtier than a late hit with head contact, is strange.

What is a hard and dangerous cross-check? This could lead to a serious injury if the stick went into Schenn's face:

Ashams was much worse than this one, no question, that cannot be denied. However, it does not make this one clean. Sticks to the face are as bad as it gets.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Ashams was much worse than this one, no question, that cannot be denied. However, it does not make this one clean. Sticks to the face are as bad as it gets.
Nobody says "It was a good play" or "Go Max!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by secord92 View Post
Jenners hit didnt cause a concussion your point?
Point is that Jenner's hit could have caused, while Shalunov's cross-check causing a serious injury was much less likely.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Puritania

vCash: 1206
If it was Jenner or another Canadian who dished out that cross-check, the people defending it would be howling bloody murder.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DamonDRW

As far as I see nobody in this thead (including team Russia's fans) is saying this cross-check was ok. Now go and read Boone Jenner's thread. See the difference?

DamonDRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Xokkeu

Quote:

Well I said earlier that he was not suspended further because of the circumstances. First the Slovak player was trying to check him when he didn't have the puck, second he comes around the other Russian player and doesn't see the Slovak player until he is trying to hit him. He reacts instantly to protect himself. I don't think it was malicious but you still have to punish a player for putting his stick in a guy's face. If he had done what Asham did and sought out the Slovak player and deliberately cross checked him in the face, then he would likely have played his last game in the tournament.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:55 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:

We do not get to compare professional hockey to junior hockey and be taken seriously when it comes to discipline.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:58 AM
KulleKing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
If it was Jenner or another Canadian who dished out that cross-check, the people defending it would be howling bloody murder.
So who has defended the crosscheck?

KulleKing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:00 PM
NicoSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
We do not get to compare professional hockey to junior hockey and be taken seriously when it comes to discipline.
It doesn't matter anyway. It was a crosscheck. Point. Only because it wasn't as hard as Asham's doesn't mean it's legal (as stated above).

Ofcourse, young players deserve to be protected more than olders (because of their physical appearance) but cross check stays crosscheck. Hockey players lose enough teeth in their carrers by incident it doesn't have to be forced then.

NicoSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonDRW View Post
As far as I see nobody in this thead (including team Russia's fans) is saying this cross-check was ok. Now go and read Boone Jenner's thread. See the difference?
1st page theres a Russian fan defending it in 2 posts.

Last I saw a couple days ago, no one is defending Jenners hit, just disagreeing with the 3 games. Everyone knows Jenner was in the wrong.

Old
12-27-2012, 12:08 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Upon further review, I think the Slovak should have gotten 2 for delaying the game.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote