HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

An idea for a 12 games tournament within Canada during summer

Old
12-27-2012, 02:34 PM
penaltykiller

vCash: 500
An idea for a 12 games tournament within Canada during summer

As most of you are probably aware , Canada is divided in 5 teams at the U 17 tournament. They are Pacific, West , Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic.

Instead of playing the Subway Series or the games vs Russia, I was thinking that a tournament could be played between these 5 teams but at the U 20 level.

The tournament could have the Memorial Cup format. A round robin + a semifinal and a final.

Positive sides for this idea
- This could get more interest than a regular team Canada summer evaluation camp
- It would give some "international experience" to some 16 and 17 years old players who might have no shot at the actual world juniors for that year. I am sure that playing a game vs Team Ontario would be a bigger challenge than playing vs Belarus or Latvia.
- I do not expect any of the games to be a blowout.
-It could be a good opportunity to evaluate possible coaching candidates while they compete directly against each other.
- It could also be a good CHL preview. Fans would be more aware of which players to follow during the season.

I am sure that TSN are looking for something to broadcast during the summer. This could be marketed as a preview to the World Juniors. It could be hosted by cities that have no chance to host the actual tournament or that recently lost a bid to host the Memorial Cup.

Negative sides of this idea

- It would be one more event in an already busy calendar.
-Would it really get as much attention from casual fans as I think it would do ?
- More players invited would mean less time to evaluate players individually.

I hope that I was clear enough. To sum up- Rather than the usual Team Canada summer camp or the Subway Series, a Memorial Cup style tournament where Canada is divided in 5.

I could not sleep last night , I thought about this around 3 am. It might not be as brilliant idea as I think it is...
Tell me what you think

penaltykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:40 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

With getting the teams together and then playing you're looking at an almost 3 week commitment. Keep in mind that the best 16 year olds are already going to play at Hlinka U18 in August.

The problem is that the overall competition level won't be all that high if you spread out the talent over 5 teams like that...you're also not going to be able to try different lines/pairing involving the players likely to make the team - i think it's better for them to get together an expanded roster of hopefuls and then play a few games against the other WJC camp teams - the same sort of format as the US hosted this summer.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:57 PM
The Saw Is the Law

I would be following the tournament but hockey is a winter sport. Has always been and should be.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
would be cool, but I'm not sure how many teams would make the trip over.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't these kids need a vacation or something?

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote