HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 31 • Russia 1, Canada 4 • Part III

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

vCash: 500
Group B • Dec. 31 • Russia 1, Canada 4 • Part III

Post game talk continue here.

Part 2: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1313941

Streams: http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?...62&part=sports
Live summary: http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/306/gameaction_3891.html

Old
12-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Valarukar

Would appreciate an opinion on how Harrington was today.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Canadian Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarukar View Post
Like a rock. Again.

Blocked a lot of shots, played with a lot of composure and just played a smart, simple game. AGAIN.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:10 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
I would say he has been canada's most consistent defensive defenceman. Not flashy in any sense, but he doesn't make any glaring errors either. I would trust him in all shut-down situations.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:12 PM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Keep your pants on.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:15 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 50
Didn't see the whole game, how was Wotherspoon?

Old
12-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Taco Fingerhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
Didn't see the whole game, how was Wotherspoon?
Wotherspoon's been playing better as the tournament has progressed. I'd say today was his most steady game, and doing so against the Russians is no easy feat.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:22 PM
tmlms13

I would like to point out that despite how much Canada dominated the Russians, the score in 5 on 5 was 1-1 and if it wasn't for the 5 minute major that most people thought should have been 2 minutes Canada may not have scored those first 2 goals. I wouldn't be celebrating too much.

And Nichushkin will probably get a one game suspension (it's the iihf) it will be served in a game that lets face it, Russia will win easily. Sorry Swiss fans.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Mehar

I loved the way Canada played in today's game. However, it is not all that bad for Russia. I believe USA is the toughest opponent for Canada in the Semi-finals, and Russia will avoid them, while Canada has to face them now. Gibson could easily steal that game for USA, and the Americans will be ready to avenge their loss. I am kind of nervous for that game,

because i feel USA is a better team than Russia, and deserved to beat Russia when both teams played against each other several days back. I am glad Spott moved Jonathan Drouin to the top line. He finally made some wise coaching moves. Great game by Canada. However, the real part of the tournament starts friday against USA (they will beat the Czechs). By the way, did Yakupov even show up today?

Last edited by Mehar: 12-31-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old
12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlms13 View Post
I would like to point out that despite how much Canada dominated the Russians, the score in 5 on 5 was 1-1 and if it wasn't for the 5 minute major that most people thought should have been 2 minutes Canada may not have scored those first 2 goals. I wouldn't be celebrating too much.

And Nichushkin will probably get a one game suspension (it's the iihf) it will be served in a game that lets face it, Russia will win easily. Sorry Swiss fans.
Didn't Switzerland beat Russia last time they met in the playoffs?

And that was a 5 minute penalty, especially if Camara got a 5 minute penalty for a clean hit. This hit was by no means clean.

12-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:

5 on 4 = 2-0
5 on 5 = 1-1
5 on 6 = 1-0

Canada was better, no matter how you slice it.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Slay

The result is hardly surprising. On paper Canada looks significantly deeper and more talented (pretty much like every year). But Canada showed in the past that it does not always perform up to their talent so anything could happen. Losing Nichushkin early hurt quite a bit.

Last edited by Slay: 12-31-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old
12-31-2012, 01:44 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Really good. The kid is exactly what you want as a D man and teammate.

Very steady and calm and does all the little things right. He and Ouellet have been Canada's best two D men IMHO.

Last edited by ps241: 12-31-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old
12-31-2012, 01:44 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
He's been a rock all tournament long. It's been said that he's been Canada's most consistent defender, and I would agree with that assessment (unless you count Murphy being consistently weak).

Wotherspoon had a bit of a rough outting, speaking literally - required a few stitches. But overall he has a pretty solid game.

And I know I just ragged on Murphy, but he wasn't as dreadful today as he was against the Americans - but that was his low-water mark of the tournament thus far, IMO.

Someone who's been playing under the radar a bit is Xavier Ouellet. He's been smart defensively and pretty smooth offensively as well; wouldn't mind seeing him get some more ice-time.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:48 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Didn't Switzerland beat Russia last time they met in the playoffs?
Yes in WJHC 2010. This fact is as much relevant for this year's tournamnet as Russia beating Canada two years in a row.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:49 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay View Post
The result is hardly surprising. On paper Canada looks significantly deeper and more talented (pretty much like every other year). But Canada showed in the past that it does not always perform up to their talent so anything could happen. Losing Nichushkin early hurt quite a bit.
Yea it did he has been playing great and they also gave up the 2 goals which was a back breaker. Seems like they (especially Nail) are trying a bit too hard in front of the hometown fans, sometimes the big home crowd can be a disadvantage with the younger players.

Russia will be just fine.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:52 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I concur. We lost a fight, but the battle is still on.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:53 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
In the end glad to see Canada pull out the win here. Up against a very tough team and managed to pull it off. Glad especially that Subban seems to have found himself after some unsettling games earlier.

Now get a bit of time to work on things and prepare for the elimination games.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:54 PM
DethOfDragnz

Send a message via MSN to DethOfDragnz
I just wanted to say how much I loved the game between Russia and Canada today. It was very close both teams were energized and playing hard Canada did a great job shutting down the Russians. Subban looks like the goalie we saw at the Canada/Russia challenge calm focused and making great saves. I had my doubts when the tournament started if this was really the dream team the media was pushing. The team seem disjointed and Subban was letting in soft goals. I am a believer in this team after tonights game, they were near perfect in all aspects. If Canada plays as good as they did in this game in the semi finals and finals I don't think any team can beat them. Being a Oilers fan, I felt great joy seeing Canadas team captain Ryan Smyth lift the Spengler Cup Trophy, and I hope I'll get to see another Oiler Ryan Nugent Hopkins hosting the WJC cup soon! Go Canada Go!

Old
12-31-2012, 01:55 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:

And if Makarov didn't have a great game, it could easily have been 8-1. What's your point?

Old
12-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea it did he has been playing great and they also gave up the 2 goals which was a back breaker. Seems like they (especially Nail) are trying a bit too hard in front of the hometown fans, sometimes the big home crowd can be a disadvantage with the younger players.

But we have heard so much about how Canada only won the Olympics because of the crowd

Old
12-31-2012, 02:00 PM
Alerion
Get the Can Opener

Thoughts:

-Boone Jenner. That third line was dominant on the forecheck and cycling the puck. It's pretty hard for the Russians to score when they're buried in their own zone for 3 minutes at a time. Also dat PK

-Can't knock Ryan Murphy on today's game. First game where he deserved the ice time over Rielly. Ran the PP well, especially during the 5 minute major.

-Subban was big once again. I was one of many clamouring for Binnington to be given a chance but Subban's proven me wrong. Hope he keeps up the effort in the SF.

-Steve Spott's beginning to look smarter and smarter. The line changes worked phenomenally (Drouin, anyone?) and as I said the decision to stick with Subban has paid off thus far.

-Drouin! Very deserving player of the game and a nasty wraparound in the second. Also, to anyone who said he was too small/soft for this tournament...

-MacKinnon got a little overzealous today. On the first penalty I thought the Russian turned in an attempt to draw a penalty, but the second one he got his stick up too high. It's tough to see him try so hard to fit in, especially when Drouin was given a big chance and has shone. Mac did have some quality ice time in the third period though, a couple nice moves down low.

-Scott Harrington is my Jesus. That's all that needs to be said. Such a consistent, dependable d-man.

-Dougie looked a lot stronger today as well. Hell of a blast from the point to break the deadlock in the first.

-Huberdeau didn't do too much today. He seemed out of place with Strome and Rattie, even though on paper that line appears quite strong. Hopefully they'll gel.

-Lipon bounced back about as strongly as possible. Still not sure of his purpose on the team but he wasn't a liability out there today.

All in all this was definitely our most complete game of the tournament. We dominated the second and the third and I never really felt that the Canadian team had any doubt as to who was the better squad. A solid 60 minutes of play with very few lapses.

I predict Nichushkin will get a one game suspension. The hit was more sinister than Lipon's IMO and showed some intent to injure as he chose to glide around and hit Wotherspoon from behind. One game is consistent with what they've dished out in the past. As for those saying Camara's hit was dirty and worse than Nichushkin's...is it not telling that the IIHF, probably the most strict governing body in hockey, didn't even review it?

Old
12-31-2012, 02:06 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerion View Post
Thoughts:

-Boone Jenner. That third line was dominant on the forecheck and cycling the puck. It's pretty hard for the Russians to score when they're buried in their own zone for 3 minutes at a time. Also dat PK

-Can't knock Ryan Murphy on today's game. First game where he deserved the ice time over Rielly. Ran the PP well, especially during the 5 minute major.

-Subban was big once again. I was one of many clamouring for Binnington to be given a chance but Subban's proven me wrong. Hope he keeps up the effort in the SF.

-Steve Spott's beginning to look smarter and smarter. The line changes worked phenomenally (Drouin, anyone?) and as I said the decision to stick with Subban has paid off thus far.

-Drouin! Very deserving player of the game and a nasty wraparound in the second. Also, to anyone who said he was too small/soft for this tournament...

-MacKinnon got a little overzealous today. On the first penalty I thought the Russian turned in an attempt to draw a penalty, but the second one he got his stick up too high. It's tough to see him try so hard to fit in, especially when Drouin was given a big chance and has shone. Mac did have some quality ice time in the third period though, a couple nice moves down low.

-Scott Harrington is my Jesus. That's all that needs to be said. Such a consistent, dependable d-man.

-Dougie looked a lot stronger today as well. Hell of a blast from the point to break the deadlock in the first.

-Huberdeau didn't do too much today. He seemed out of place with Strome and Rattie, even though on paper that line appears quite strong. Hopefully they'll gel.

-Lipon bounced back about as strongly as possible. Still not sure of his purpose on the team but he wasn't a liability out there today.

All in all this was definitely our most complete game of the tournament. We dominated the second and the third and I never really felt that the Canadian team had any doubt as to who was the better squad. A solid 60 minutes of play with very few lapses.

I predict Nichushkin will get a one game suspension. The hit was more sinister than Lipon's IMO and showed some intent to injure as he chose to glide around and hit Wotherspoon from behind. One game is consistent with what they've dished out in the past. As for those saying Camara's hit was dirty and worse than Nichushkin's...is it not telling that the IIHF, probably the most strict governing body in hockey, didn't even review it?
very nice post and I agree with all the points.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:08 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
But we have heard so much about how Canada only won the Olympics because of the crowd
Yea ain't that the fact.

I have been to a few world Junior games and the kids with the crazy home crowds can get a bit too excited and try to do too much individually.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:12 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Not sure why Harrington gets mentioned and Ouellet doesn't. I thought Ouellet played just as well. I guess he's even quieter than the already quiet Harrington.

Closed Thread