HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Phil Kessel

Old
01-24-2013, 01:34 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

vCash: 500
Phil Kessel

Boy has this guy come to play hockey this year. His first step is unreal. And the back check he is doing is 2nd to none on the team right now.

Just all over the ice, dominant at times.

I don't even care yet that he hasn't racked up points in the first 3 games. I'm excited watching this guy, he must be re-signed!

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:51 AM
Kingstonian84*

Kessel is so under-rated its digusting! The guy has improved his point totals every year since arriving, he's also improved his playmaking tremednously to the point where I'd say he's easily one of our best passers. This year he is much improved on his committment to defence, he's hustling back, tonight he took away several scoring chances tonight, he's doing everything his coach is asking of him and then some.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:03 AM
Tak7

Was I the only one that got a bit happy when he slammed that water bottle against the bench?

This guy cares, and this guy wants to win. Bad. His attitude is the right one.

I love the effort - he's got a real active stick, isn't shying away from the board battles, and winning a lot of the 1 v 1 scenarios he's getting into.

As I said in the post-game thread, I'm not at all concerned about his lack of goals. He's getting 2 or 3 good chances a night, and doesn't have the luck right now - but as long as Phil get's chances, the goals won't be that far away.

I'm betting tomorrow he scores.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:12 AM
CBinTokyo

vCash: 245
Agreed! He's got two points already, and we know he can score. It is nice to see other areas that he has been criticized about in the past being brought up to speed. He is not one dimensional and we are lucky to have him.

Edit: Oh yeah I have him with the first goal for the prediction thread too

CBinTokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:13 AM
mcleex

He plays way more physical this season, uses his body and forechecks
never thought I'd see it
gotta give him props for that

mcleex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:15 AM
BlazingWithCharizard*

honestly, im surprised phil hasnt scored yet. Dont get me wrong, i love the way hes playing right now. He seems to be much more committed to the defensive aspect of the game, and his backchecking is unreal. I just wish he would throw his body around a bit you know? Not asking for huge hits or anything, id just like to see phil get a little more aggressive.

BlazingWithCharizard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:21 AM
Kesselology
81 Jump Street

vCash: 50
once he adjusts to carlyle's system we'll be back to watching the high scoring, bottle popping, corner sniping kessel we all love. he looks like a new and improved version of himself from last year. he looks like he's better shape and ready to take this team to the next level. i don't want to get too excited after 3 games and a 2-1 start, but if the Leafs and their goaltenders keep up this level of play we may be in for a fun and surprising season.

Kesselology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:40 AM
The Hockey Life
HF Boards Partner

It's not like he is slacking, he has 2 points and we know he is trying to find the back of the net. Once he does it will be lights out. Credit to Carlyle because you can tell he has tried to make Phil a 2-way player, as he backchecked and broke up a couple scoring chances again tonight. I was so excited when he threw the water bottle in anger.. shows that he cares and that means something. My favourite is still when he sings the Canadian anthem

The Hockey Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:34 AM
Count Von Grabo*

He won me over last season.

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:36 AM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Kessel will start putting the puck in the net soon and when he does look out!

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:43 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHockeySanctuary View Post
It's not like he is slacking, he has 2 points and we know he is trying to find the back of the net. Once he does it will be lights out. Credit to Carlyle because you can tell he has tried to make Phil a 2-way player, as he backchecked and broke up a couple scoring chances again tonight. I was so excited when he threw the water bottle in anger.. shows that he cares and that means something. My favourite is still when he sings the Canadian anthem
Many people forget that a guy like Steve Yzerman, a full decade into his career, was considered a defensive suck and a guy you can't build a team around, so much so that he was almost traded. He finally adapted and by his 16th year managed to win the Selke and became revered with god like status, causing convenient amnesia in many.

Not expecting Kessel to become Steve Yzerman, merely making the point that people with that set of stigma attached to them CAN develop and should Phil decide to turn the corner many years earlier than Steve did, well good for him and good for us.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:48 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
I hope he pots one soon. He's been playing outstanding hockey and deserves to be rewarded for his efforts.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:52 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I remember when Ovechkin was touted as improving his 2-way game when his offensive production started slipping. And yes I have seen Kessel and he was offensively a non-factor in the game against the Sabres

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:06 AM
Hologram

Kessel has come a long way from the one dimensional player he used to be.

Hologram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:08 AM
MajorityRules
ExcellencewithVigour

vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans1000 View Post
I remember when Ovechkin was touted as improving his 2-way game when his offensive production started slipping. And yes I have seen Kessel and he was offensively a non-factor in the game against the Sabres
Kessel had 7 SOG in the Buffalo game.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:14 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Hes snake bitten so far. To be fair hes gone up against three if the better goalies in the league so far

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:17 AM
iceblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Was I the only one that got a bit happy when he slammed that water bottle against the bench?

This guy cares, and this guy wants to win. Bad. His attitude is the right one.

I love the effort - he's got a real active stick, isn't shying away from the board battles, and winning a lot of the 1 v 1 scenarios he's getting into.

As I said in the post-game thread, I'm not at all concerned about his lack of goals. He's getting 2 or 3 good chances a night, and doesn't have the luck right now - but as long as Phil get's chances, the goals won't be that far away.

I'm betting tomorrow he scores.
Nope. I was thrilled to see how much passion he was showing. He is just a bit snake bitten trying to get the first goal of the season (which I think I heard was a milestone in a Leafs uniform- 100th?)
He'll start potting them soon and often.

iceblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:20 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans1000 View Post
Get out of here.

He's been dangerous on almost every shift this year. His efforts can not be sold short.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Donmega

Kessel is absolutely beasting out there. Such a pleasure to watch.

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Hey, we can say all that stuff about a new Kessel and blah blah blah...

The real test comes against Boston, stop playing like a ***** and then you'll have my respect there.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:12 AM
SteveV*

Kessel is an absolute treat to watch, people simply don't appreciate what we have.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:13 AM
SprDaVE

The way he stole the puck from Paul Martin on his first shift last night was great.

He's going to burst out with a big game soon on the score sheet if he keeps it up.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Kessel is going BEATS MODE!!!

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:06 AM
jimmycarter

thank you boston.

kessel is on some next level s***

jimmycarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Ari91

Agreed. He's been playing great hockey and getting chances. He's hustling on the ice, he's forechecking (hallelujah)...I know it's a small sample size but I ****ing love Randy Carlyle because no matter what happens, we've already seen what these players are capable of doing when they commit to a Carlyle system.

I'm not worried about his scoring. He'll start potting them in soon enough.

Also, his attitude seems great and I noticed that change since the end of last season. He's a guy that shies away from attention but when the team was falling off the cliff, he was one of the few guys that actually made himself available to the media so that he could answer for his team and show accountability for their decline. Hopefully it's not too soon to say but he seems to be maturing right before our very eyes.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote