HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 16th: Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 02:58 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I remember when they were discussing the Hockey News lists on the main we weren't supposed to but people just told people to go to another site that had them.

If we're allowed to post it I will because as I said a few pages ago, I know a place that does post all the ESPN insider stuff.
I dont know of anywhere in the rules that would prohibit posting a link like that. We just cant post full articles here.
But I am certainly not an expert, one of the mods like Nemesis would know the rules better than I do.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

vCash: 500
Joe Carter would be pretty cool. Has remained in contact with the city/organization, well spoken. Would atleast be interesting as a guest, one day thing.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:14 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
why the uh oh. Hunter is uncomfortable with a gay teammate for religious reasons. Not really surprising that there would be players against it. I'm sure there are just as many that wouldn't care either way.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:19 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Joe Carter would be pretty cool. Has remained in contact with the city/organization, well spoken. Would atleast be interesting as a guest, one day thing.
Well back in the day after he retired he did the jays broadcasts on CTV for a while, and then was a full time colour commentator for the cubs for a couple of years.

If he's looking to get back into it I'm sure he would be welcomed.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:22 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
is anyone who is an ESPN insider post the write up for the top 10 lineups in MLB? Maybe the infields too
Their rated 8th overall for hitting lineup.

Rated 8th overall for team ratings.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Nope, Carter isn't good enough. Let's face it, he put up a lot of RBIs but his OBP is terrible.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:28 PM
trellaine201

Mmm ive been thinking about the Oliver situation. Why would we even want him if his heart isnt in the city or team?? Didnt we just learn this lol this past sason about someone else. Red flags!

Its pretty obvious he wants to play in texas.

Silly.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
That article has such an epic quote though.

Quote:
We all get into sports because we want to win, Burke said. I want to win a Stanley Cup. Whoever can get me there, I want them on my team. If a player came out on the Flyers tomorrow, and we had to cut him or trade him to get better, hes gone without hesitation. Id drive him to the airport if hes not the best guy for the job. But if I can win the Cup with 22 gay guys, Ill have the gayest hockey team in the history of the world.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:40 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Mmm ive been thinking about the Oliver situation. Why would we even want him if his heart isnt in the city or team?? Didnt we just learn this lol this past sason about someone else. Red flags!

Its pretty obvious he wants to play in texas.

Silly.
Who didn't want to be here last season? Other than the coach.
And I don't have much interest in trading him to Texas unless we get a pretty good piece back. Texas is one of the teams we could be fighting with for a wildcard spot. Keeping Oliver happy isnt a good enough reason to make a rival team stronger.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:47 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Who didn't want to be here last season? Other than the coach.
And I don't have much interest in trading him to Texas unless we get a pretty good piece back. Texas is one of the teams we could be fighting with for a wildcard spot. Keeping Oliver happy isnt a good enough reason to make a rival team stronger.
The manager.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Koized

Hey guys,
Planning to go see a jays game in May. Any hotel suggestions? Pubs/clubs, etc.
Thanks in advance.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:08 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
That article has such an epic quote though.
One of Burkie's best

Old
01-04-2013, 04:16 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
One of Burkie's best
I think it is his son's quote.

"If a player came out on the Flyers tomorrow, and we had to cut him or trade him to get better, he’s gone without hesitation."

Old
01-04-2013, 04:26 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
I think it is his son's quote.

"If a player came out on the Flyers tomorrow, and we had to cut him or trade him to get better, hes gone without hesitation."
Ah, missed that .. Nonetheless

Old
01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Buddio
CFC

vCash: 900
edit, looks like I'm a little late

Old
01-04-2013, 04:51 PM
socratic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
He shouldn't demand a trade. IF you want to play it's for Toronto, if you value family time then retire. He has a contract that was mutually agreed to, he should have to honour it. I'm sick of teams just giving in to players, tell Oliver to stay home if he wants more money.

Quik touched on this, but basically what I am saying is that I don't understand why he would risk villifying himself so much over this. I see this as the equivalent of a Zinedine Zidane headbutt. The guy has a great career and is well liked, and now he's going to rub the entire the city the wrong way over what likely won't be any actual extra money in his pocket.

Just make up your mind and enjoy your millions. Tell the Jays what you want, don't try and hold them hostage. Play for the Jays if you want. If you want to play for Texas, be straightforward, say your moving to Texas and the jays can try and trade your final year to the Rangers if they like. If you don't want to play ball anymore, then retire.

I think it was just a really poorly handled situation by a guy who probably couldn't make up his mind.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

http://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/st...35762490437632
Quote:
#Astros have hired Alan Ashby to be a TV color commentator, formal announcement coming next week. More to come at MLB.com.
I remember Alan Ashby doing the radio broadcasts on The Fan with Jerry Howarth

He is a good man

Old
01-04-2013, 05:26 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
I dont know of anywhere in the rules that would prohibit posting a link like that. We just cant post full articles here.
But I am certainly not an expert, one of the mods like Nemesis would know the rules better than I do.
Can't post full articles. You can summarize or post a small piece of an article and link it (my rule of thumb is to not post more than about 20% of an article's material, based on the eyeball test). We probably shouldn't be posting pay content or links that allow people to circumvent pay content, but I don't see much harm in just sharing a small relevant part of an ESPN insider article as long as it's only done when it's really pertinent to the Jays (or the Raptors in their thread, or whatever else on other places on the site) and it's not a case of a bunch of people asking "I heard there's an article about X that's insider content, can you post it?"

and to the discussion earlier of the rankings on ESPN (worth noting that it appears the rankings are Buster Olney's/ESPN's alone, with scout/evaluator reactions to them):

Overall
1) Giants
2) Nationals
3) Tigers
4) Reds
5) Athletics
6) Dodgers
7) Cardinals
8) Blue Jays
9) Braves
10) Yankees

re, the Jays:

Quote:
NL evaluator: "I have questions about the league transition for R.A. Dickey, Mark Buehrle (at this stage in his career) and Josh Johnson, but it's a deep team, and much improved.

Offensive Lineups
1) Angels
2) Brewers
3) Cardinals
4) Rangers
5) Nationals
6) Red Sox
7) Rockies
8) Blue Jays
9) Reds
10) Yankees

Infields (defensively)
1) Rangers
2) Tigers
3) Reds
4) Rays
5) Yankees
6) Braves
7) Blue Jays
8) Nationals
9) Giants
10) Royals

Outfields (defensively)
1) Angels
2) Nationals
3) Athletics
4) Dodgers
5) Cardinals
6) Reds
7) Brewers
8) Braves
9) Diamondbacks
10) Orioles
Honorable Mention: Blue Jays

Rotations
1) Tigers
2) Nationals
3) Dodgers
4) Phillies
5) Reds
6) Rays
7) Blue Jays
8) Braves
9) Giants
10) Athletics

I've posted the comments on the roster portion rankings before, so you can go back and find those if you want to read them.

The rankings are kind of curious when you look at the overall ones. The Giants get ranked 1st overall as a team in spite of the fact that they only show up on 2 lists right at the bottom.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
01-04-2013, 05:29 PM
TieClark

How in the hell do the Red Sox have the 5th best offensive lineup?

Old
01-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
I don't understand how the Oakland Athletics are rated the 5th overall best team. What is it exactly that people see in them? And it's enough to be ranked 5th overall?

Old
01-04-2013, 05:36 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
How in the hell do the Red Sox have the 5th best offensive lineup?
the article was written when it was presumed that Mike Napoli would be on the team, and a big piece of it was that they had a bunch of players that completely destroy lefty pitching (in a division where many of the more challenging pitchers are lefties)

Old
01-04-2013, 05:37 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
I don't understand how the Oakland Athletics are rated the 5th overall best team. What is it exactly that people see in them?
The scout comments in that pieces actually do take issue with the A's rankings. One evaluator says he expects them to regress, another wonders how they made the list over other talented teams. Like I said, it almost seems that the rankings are ESPN or Olney's own, and the scouts and whoever are just providing after-the-fact reaction to the lists.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
I don't understand how the Oakland Athletics are rated the 5th overall best team. What is it exactly that people see in them? And it's enough to be ranked 5th overall?
Billy Beane fairy dust.

I can see argument for their rotation being up there, especially if Anderson is fully healthy. Their defense and offense is shaky, and I suspect that the rating given had much to do with their belief in Oakland finding another diamond in the rough as they seem to do every year. I don't see how they can continue to play at such a high level with the team currently assembled.

Old
01-04-2013, 05:40 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
the article was written when it was presumed that Mike Napoli would be on the team, and a big piece of it was that they had a bunch of players that completely destroy lefty pitching (in a division where many of the more challenging pitchers are lefties)
Mike Napoli is an average player who is very inconsistent...

Old
01-04-2013, 06:09 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Has it been mentioned today that the Jays reacquired Chad Beck?

Because the Jays reacquired Chad Beck.

Plan the parade.

Closed Thread