HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 16th: Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

vCash: 500
More of the same but anyways...

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Teams still looking for late-inning relievers include: #Rays, #Tigers, #BlueJays, #Mariners, #Marlins, #Mets.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:38 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Lyon or Lindstrom are good pick-ups. And as much as we like to think relievers have little value, they do actually manage to fetch good prospect(s) or some major league talent back. Lyon or Lindstrom make a lot of sense for us IMO. Delabar/Rogers/Lincoln success have come in small sample size and I don't think you can rely on them too much. Sure, they could all do great or they could all blow up. Some stability would be nice.
Lyon must be looking for a pretty big payday because his name hasn't shown up in any rumours. I'd be happy to have him back.

Not sure if it's been posted but Soriano signed with the Nats today with some crazy terms on his contract. He's getting 7 million a year for 2 years and another 14 million in differed payments from 2018 through 2025. Also an option year. I can't say I've ever heard of differed payments like that.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:52 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Lyon must be looking for a pretty big payday because his name hasn't shown up in any rumours. I'd be happy to have him back.

Not sure if it's been posted but Soriano signed with the Nats today with some crazy terms on his contract. He's getting 7 million a year for 2 years and another 14 million in differed payments from 2018 through 2025. Also an option year. I can't say I've ever heard of differed payments like that.
Possible, but the price for middle relievers isn't high. Frasor got 1.5M I think, Grilli was around 3.5M. So somewhere in that 3-4 range is likely something Lyon will get. I'd bet he wants a multi-year deal though while teams are likely offering a 1 year deal.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:30 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Apparently Arencibia is going to be joining RA Dickey in playing for Team USA at the world baseball classic. The Jays could have a healthy contingent of players missing for part of spring training due to WBC commitments.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 57 GP, 18-28-11 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
01-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
BUNGLADEISH

As long as they don't get hurt, it will be nice to have our players already in action before the season starts.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:40 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Possible, but the price for middle relievers isn't high. Frasor got 1.5M I think, Grilli was around 3.5M. So somewhere in that 3-4 range is likely something Lyon will get. I'd bet he wants a multi-year deal though while teams are likely offering a 1 year deal.
I was thinking term may be a factor as well. I don't really see a problem with giving him a 2 year deal but I guess that could great a bit of a log jam if he gets too much term

Old
01-16-2013, 10:43 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
As long as they don't get hurt, it will be nice to have our players already in action before the season starts.
As much as I think that chemistry is a complete myth and terribly overrated, I'd sort of like to have everyone together as long as possible before the season starts.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Apparently Arencibia is going to be joining RA Dickey in playing for Team USA at the world baseball classic. The Jays could have a healthy contingent of players missing for part of spring training due to WBC commitments.
Is JP likely to catch RA?

Old
01-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
BUNGLADEISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
As much as I think that chemistry is a complete myth and terribly overrated, I'd sort of like to have everyone together as long as possible before the season starts.
Just geting everyone comfortable around each other counts as adding chemistry IMO, so there's that. It would be great to have the group together, but seeing how many different nationals we have, I think it will be almost impossible for us to keep the main guys together - Encarnacion, Reyes, Lawrie, Dickey etc. It's good that we've got a couple of em on the same team though.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Shi Davidi gives his take on how Jays might save up enough cash to sign a reliever.

Quote:
TORONTO – Though the Toronto Blue Jays are said to be all out of payroll room this winter, even if Darren Oliver forgoes his $3 million to retire, general manager Alex Anthopoulos might still be able to free up some dollars for some relief help with a little creativity.

The signing of veteran catcher Henry Blanco to a $750,000, non-guaranteed contract last week flew largely under the radar, but could save the team in the neighbourhood of $500,000 should he displace the arbitration-eligible Josh Thole as backup to J.P. Arencibia.

Thole is expected to earn $1.2 million this season, according to a projection by mlbtraderumors.com, and he has options left. Though his experience with R.A. Dickey is important, Blanco caught the knuckleballer in 2010 and has a tremendous reputation for his defence and clubhouse presence, making the 41-year-old the odds-on favourite to make the team provided he shows well in spring training.

By taking the difference in salaries there, and combining it with the savings of optioning a displaced 0-3 year player to the minors, Anthopoulos could potentially scrounge up close to a $1 million to offer a veteran reliever.

Oliver’s $3 million is not available to the team if he walks away.

That leaves the Blue Jays with a potential $1 million to perhaps lure someone lingering on the market such as (and in no particular order) Matt Capps, Jose Valverde, Kyle Farnsworth, Matt Lindstrom, Brandon Lyon, Juan Carlos Oviedo, and Francisco Rodriguez.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...ther_reliever/

It wouldn't surprise me if Thole got optioned. The only reason we got him was so he could catch with Dickey but if Blanco can do that, then he is not really needed. Maybe if his bat gets to where it was pre-2012, he is useful but right now, I could see why Jays may just have him start out in the minors.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Quote:
Oliverís $3 million is not available to the team if he walks away.
Really not understanding that...

Old
01-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson View Post
Really not understanding that...
AA said earlier that if Oliver walks away from his 3M option (meaning retiring), then they won't be allocating that money towards something else. That money is for Oliver but if he retires, they won't spend that 3M on someone else... I don't know for sure whether or not AA will stick to that though.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:02 PM
TootooTrain
-

Jose Reyes will have his press conference with AA tomorrow at 4pm

Oliver apparently WILL return this year to the Jays! Bout time Darren.

Mike Wilner ‏@Wilnerness590
Quote:
Two #Bluejays announcements - Jose Reyes will meet media tomorrow afternoon, and Darren Oliver is coming back for his $3MM salary. #Jays

Old
01-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
According to the 3:00pm 590 update, Oliver will play next year at his agreed to $3M option year salary.

Will update with a web link when I see one.

Old
KiwiPuck217

Just heard the 590 update. Oliver returning, that's a nice surprise.

Old
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi

#BlueJays say Darren Oliver to return for a 20th season.

OMFG YES! All the moves in the off-season were made with the sole purpose of bringing back Oliver.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi

#BlueJays say Darren Oliver to return for a 20th season.

OMFG YES! All the moves in the off-season were made with the sole purpose of bringing back Oliver.
Also listed as breaking news at the top of the Sportsnet.ca website. I think that's as official as it can get. Oliver will be back. No need to wonder about Lyon, etc anymore!

Old
01-16-2013, 03:08 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

vCash: 1205
Wow, that is excellent news.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:10 PM
trellaine201

I dont want him back. Turncoat. His mind is in Texas!

Old
01-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

The bullpen now looks like:

Janssen/Santos/Oliver/Rogers/Cecil/Lincoln/Delabar... it's possible Lincoln/Delabar may be optioned to the minors for Happ to stay in the pen or Happ could be optioned to the minors and stay stretched out as a starter. Cecil/Rogers are out of options so I doubt they will expose either of them to the waivers.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Excellent news! No way Reyes can top the Dickey press conference though. I wish they had a presser introducing all our big name acquisitions just so you can see how dramatic the infusion of talent is and how funny Q&A would be with so many people there fighting to speak.

Old
Thorntonfan97
Thank you Nabby

vCash: 200
Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
So the pen is looking like

Rogers
Lincoln
Delabar
Oliver
Happ/Cecil/Loup
Santos
Janssen

Old
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
The bullpen now looks like:

Janssen/Santos/Oliver/Rogers/Cecil/Lincoln/Delabar... it's possible Lincoln/Delabar may be optioned to the minors for Happ to stay in the pen or Happ could be optioned to the minors and stay stretched out as a starter. Cecil/Rogers are out of options so I doubt they will expose either of them to the waivers.
Doesn't Lincoln have an option left? I'd think he would be first on the cutting board.

Janssen/Oliver/Santos/Delabar. That's oh so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Excellent news! No way Reyes can top the Dickey press conference though. I wish they had a presser introducing all our big name acquisitions just so you can see how dramatic the infusion of talent is and how funny Q&A would be with so many people there fighting to speak.
He'll try and one-up Dicky by coming out in a full turtleneck sweater.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:15 PM
topched

Our BP just jumped to contender status.

That pretty much eliminates any questions we had.

Happ
Rogers
Lincoln
Delabar
Oliver
Santos
Janssen

Cecil
Loup
Jeffress

Perfect mix of lefties and righties. With Delabar also being nasty against LHB's. I can see Cecil making the roster over Happ, who has an option left if he has a good ST.

I'd put our pen, with all its K power up against any other team in the mlb.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
So the pen is looking like

Rogers
Lincoln
Delabar
Oliver
Happ/Cecil/Loup
Santos
Janssen
Word from a few MLB reporters is that they were looking for a late inning reliever too, I wonder if Oliver coming back changes that.

Closed Thread