HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 16th: Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

vCash: 500
And according to Wilner, he thinks Thole will be in Buffalo with Blanco as the major league backup.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
And according to Wilner, he thinks Thole will be in Buffalo with Blanco as the major league backup.
@Wilnerness590: AA uses John Lannan, #Nationals 6th starter in '12, as example of depth that Happ and Thole may be in AAA this year. #Bluejays #Jays

Seems like it was AA. Jays could save some decent money having both Happ and Thole in Buffalo.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:23 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
@Wilnerness590: AA uses John Lannan, #Nationals 6th starter in '12, as example of depth that Happ and Thole may be in AAA this year. #Bluejays #Jays

Seems like it was AA. Jays could save some decent money having both Happ and Thole in Buffalo.
Happ isn't going to Buffalo not a chance. Plus you have to pay them no matter what, so how is that saving money.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:27 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Happ isn't going to Buffalo not a chance. Plus you have to pay them no matter what, so how is that saving money.
Actually Happ has the absolute best chacne at going to buffalo of all potential relievers.

Its only 2 hours away, and its smart to keep him stretched out as a starter for when he's needed to make some starts (which is a guarantee).

He's also got an option left so it makes the most sense. Straight from the decision maker (AA) himself.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:45 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Alex Anthopoulos says differently.

Quote:
Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi AA says Oliver, Janssen, Santos, Rogers are locks. Cecil/Jeffress out of options, must win job, Happ is No. 6 starter, Buffalo possible
Your move.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
01-18-2013, 02:02 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Alex Anthopoulos says differently.

Your move.

If Happ agrees to it, and they want him ready to start if Romero can't bounce back or they promise to trade him, but you still have to Pay him so how is that saving money. Their is no salary cap in mlb.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
If Happ agrees to it, and they want him ready to start if Romero can't bounce back or they promise to trade him, but you still have to Pay him so how is that saving money. Their is no salary cap in mlb.
Happ has no say...If they send him down he has to go, that's what an option is. And I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure if they option him then it's like a 2-way deal, he gets paid minor-league money.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Happ has no say...If they send him down he has to go, that's what an option is. And I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure if they option him then it's like a 2-way deal, he gets paid minor-league money.
The money is a certain percentage of what he made last season so Jays are probably saving themselves a couple of millions with that.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Jatt

IIRC AA has stated that in the most likely scenario of Happ not cracking the rotation out of spring training, he would send him to Buffalo to make sure he gets his proper reps of a start every fifth day instead of keeping him around in the Blue Jays bullpen.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Thorntonfan97
José Bautista-31 HR

Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
So I wonder what happens to Lincoln (AAA or MLB)

Old
01-18-2013, 04:23 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
So I wonder what happens to Lincoln (AAA or MLB)
Someone posted, yesterday I think, that Lincoln would be like Happ in that they could send him to the minors and stretch him out to be a starter. Or he could earn a bullpen spot. Thing with him is that he has options, so it makes him more likely to be a AAA assignment just because there's no risk of losing an asset.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:38 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
@Wilnerness590: Thole gets a 2 year contract with an option for 2015. $1.25 mill each of first 2 yrs, $1.75 mill option with $250K buyout. #Bluejays #Jays

Jays Jeff Mathis him.
Well they lock him up the same length as Dickey so that makes sense.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:41 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
When did the players start making the call as to where they go

Old
01-18-2013, 05:39 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Someone posted, yesterday I think, that Lincoln would be like Happ in that they could send him to the minors and stretch him out to be a starter. Or he could earn a bullpen spot. Thing with him is that he has options, so it makes him more likely to be a AAA assignment just because there's no risk of losing an asset.
If Lincoln makes the pen he'll be a 7th guy or towards the back of the pen. I'd almost rather take a flier on a guy like Jeffress and have Lincoln work as a starter in Buffalo

Old
01-18-2013, 06:54 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
If Lincoln makes the pen he'll be a 7th guy or towards the back of the pen. I'd almost rather take a flier on a guy like Jeffress and have Lincoln work as a starter in Buffalo
Lincoln will have to securely beat out the likes of Jeffress and/or Rogers for his role in the pen simply because he has an option year left and the others don't.

EDIT: for the record, the following pitchers are out of options (and still eligible to be demoted to the minors without needing their consent):

Cecil, Rogers, Santos, and Jeffress,

And among pitchers who have or are likely to be in battles for roster spots, the following have roster spots available and don't need consent for demotion to the minors:

Lincoln, Happ, Loup, Delabar, and Romero

There are others who have less of a shot with option years too (Jenkins, Dyson and Crawford) and guys who are hurt (Perez, Hutchison, Drabek)

Last edited by The Nemesis: 01-18-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old
01-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
So Anaheim is apparently paying Jason Vargas 8.5 for next season.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:04 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Oh wow. That's just nuts. Dickey, Romero, and Morrow each make less than that for the Jays this year. In fact, the only Jays with 2013 salaries greater than that are Buehrle, Johnson, Reyes, and Bautista.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
He had a good case to make and it was his arbitration eligible season before he became a FA so its worth it. Pence making 13.8M is a lot worse.

Angels will be paying Vargas and Blanton a combined 15M next season. Uhh... yeah, good luck.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Yeah the Pence deal is bad but I wasn't expecting this.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:38 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
Lincoln will have to securely beat out the likes of Jeffress and/or Rogers for his role in the pen simply because he has an option year left and the others don't.

EDIT: for the record, the following pitchers are out of options (and still eligible to be demoted to the minors without needing their consent):

Cecil, Rogers, Santos, and Jeffress,

And among pitchers who have or are likely to be in battles for roster spots, the following have roster spots available and don't need consent for demotion to the minors:

Lincoln, Happ, Loup, Delabar, and Romero

There are others who have less of a shot with option years too (Jenkins, Dyson and Crawford) and guys who are hurt (Perez, Hutchison, Drabek)

Sucks to be a player with options. Why not trade him if they arent going to use him. Hes a good serviceable pitcher! I say he makes it none the less.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Nazem Bozak

I've really wondered what this huge block buster is..

Old
01-18-2013, 07:49 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Sucks to be a player with options. Why not trade him if they arent going to use him. Hes a good serviceable pitcher! I say he makes it none the less.
asset management/depth. Sucks for Lincoln & Happ if they end up in the minors as part of the numbers game, but at the same time, every team needs 2 or 3 serviceable depth guys who can start in case of injury or fill bullpen roles in a pinch. If they just trade either of those guys for whatever, then that's the difference between potentially having them come up to handle emergency duties versus calling up an untested rookie. Consider which is preferable as a depth chart (and disregard any issues you might have with the order of the 1st five SPs. It's not really relevant to this discussion):

Dickey
Morrow
Johnson
Buehrle
Romero
Happ
Lincoln
Jenkins

vs

Dickey
Morrow
Johnson
Buehrle
Romero
Jenkins
uhhh... McGuire I guess?
who knows. Carreno or someone else added to the 40-man roster.

See? I even had to stop an think about who would get added in those places. Not the situation we want to be in.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:28 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
I just counted, and Reyes said "you know" 12,304 times.
Lmaooo i watched this with my girl and she was laughing her ass off, as was I, "you no" literally every 3 seconds

Old
01-19-2013, 04:06 AM
jetsguy

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Lmaooo i watched this with my girl and she was laughing her ass off, as was I, "you no" literally every 3 seconds
har har........... other than that he spoke good english for a dominican.

Just like AA, Reyes is one of my favourite players to watch. It's going to be fun seeing him lead off for the Jays.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:28 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Mets fan here. Thole was made part of the trade because he was the one who could catch Dickey. There are not many knuckle ball pitchers in the majors, so the chance of some catchers ever having the opportunity to catch one are not that great. Don't know if Blanco has ever caught one but I would suspect Dickey is comfortable with Thole catching him with the big glove. If the Jays place Thole in Buffalo, then don't be surprised that there will be a lot of pass balls early on when Dickey is pitching. Besides, Thole's a decent hitter especially for a catcher.

Regarding Jose Reyes, liked him as a Met, however he demonstrated his true character on his last day with the Mets. After getting a hit and assuring that he would win the NL batting title in 2011, he took himself out of the line up at Citi-Field fully knowing that there was the possibility that it would be his last game in a Mets uniform. That in and of itself tells you what he's about.

Closed Thread