HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 16th: Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Shimso

vCash: 500
Holy crap, I never knew that Dave Winfield was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings (w/o ever playing college football), the ATL Hawks, Utah Stars (ABA) and the Padres. Being drafted by 4 leagues is just insane....

Old
12-30-2012, 11:49 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimso View Post
Holy crap, I never knew that Dave Winfield was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings (w/o ever playing college football), the ATL Hawks, Utah Stars (ABA) and the Padres. Being drafted by 4 leagues is just insane....
And the Padres drafted him as a pitcher.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:40 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Buster Olney ranks MLB's top 10 rotations:

1) Detroit
2) Washington
3) Los Angeles
4) Philadelphia
5) Cincinnati
6) Tampa Bay
7) Toronto
8) Atlanta
9) San Francisco
10) Oakland

and the writeup on the Jays:

Quote:
The addition of R.A. Dickey gives them a Cy Young winner at the front of a group that could be dynamic, with its combination of left-handers (Mark Buehrle and Ricky Romero) and power right-handers (Josh Johnson and Brandon Morrow). Only Justin Verlander threw more innings than Dickey (233⅔) last season, and Morrow might be ready for a breakout season, after gaining command consistency and lowering his ERA to 2.96 in 124⅔ innings last year.

Linchpin guy: Johnson. When healthy, he's been among the most dominant starters in the majors. Last year, his fastball velocity was down, and he had a 3.81 ERA in 31 starts. It's a big year for Johnson, who turns 29 in January and is eligible for free agency next fall.
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/...-rotations-mlb

I feel like the Jays should be higher, but I'm having a hard time making a definitive argument that any of the teams above them should be bumped down. You can make a contingent case (X team should be lower if...), but nothing concrete.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
12-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post

1) Detroit
2) Washington
3) Los Angeles
4) Philadelphia
5) Cincinnati
6) Tampa Bay
7) Toronto
8) Atlanta
9) San Francisco
10) Oakland

I feel like the Jays should be higher, but I'm having a hard time making a definitive argument that any of the teams above them should be bumped down. You can make a contingent case (X team should be lower if...), but nothing concrete.
Agreed, they're in that mix and any number of factors could bump them up or down. As long as they're up there, though, the offence should prove to be a real differentiator when compared to some of those clubs.

Of course, there are a number of clubs there that should also have strong run production, so those labelling the Jays a World Series favourite are probably getting a little ahead of themselves. But it's nice to be seriously in the conversation for the first time in a loooong time. Either way, should be an exciting raw to watch pole to pole. Is it April yet?

Old
12-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
The only one that should be bumped down is Philadelphia, since Halladay is getting too much credit based on his past reputation. I would take any of the Jays top 5 pitchers over him, at this point. He's also Philadelphia's #3 pitcher, so I am not sure how they are better, unless you think Lee and Hamels makes up the ground on the rest of the Jays rotation.

Tampa Bay is also interchangeable. Price is the best pitcher in the division, however, outside of that, they have a huuuge amount of depth but nothing concrete. I think Moore has a huge season and Hellickson regresses a bit, but is that better than the Jays top 5?

The rest I think I agree with, at least certainly Washington and Detroit.

Anyway, I think Jays' fans should take happiness in:

1) Going from a bottom 10 rotation to a top 10 rotation.
2) Possessing the potential to be the best rotation in baseball.
3) Having a starting pitcher who can win you a game on any given night.

I would be interested in seeing where the Jays rank on a list concerning the best teams on paper (with all things -- bullpen, rotation, offense, defense, and base-running -- considered).

Old
12-31-2012, 02:08 PM
weems

Well the deciding factor in just how dominant this rotation is will be Romero.
If he pitchs similar to 2012 then I would say we rank around #7-8 but if he pitchs like he did 2011 or even 2010 then we rival any rotation 1 thru 5.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:34 PM
tape to tape

Does anyone know if there is a baseball console game that will allow me to play the 92 Jays vs. the 93 Jays?

Old
12-31-2012, 03:12 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
The only one that should be bumped down is Philadelphia, since Halladay is getting too much credit based on his past reputation. I would take any of the Jays top 5 pitchers over him, at this point. He's also Philadelphia's #3 pitcher, so I am not sure how they are better, unless you think Lee and Hamels makes up the ground on the rest of the Jays rotation.

Tampa Bay is also interchangeable. Price is the best pitcher in the division, however, outside of that, they have a huuuge amount of depth but nothing concrete. I think Moore has a huge season and Hellickson regresses a bit, but is that better than the Jays top 5?

I would be interested in seeing where the Jays rank on a list concerning the best teams on paper (with all things -- bullpen, rotation, offense, defense, and base-running -- considered).
You would take Romero over Halliday? Homer! In the context of where the rotations rank against each other salary is irrelevant.

Doc had 1 bad season where he was injured and everyone wants to count him out, he is a year removed from being the runner up for the cy young. Even with Halliday's struggles he was much better than Romerio. Doc is a HoFer and will rebound next year. If Doc returns to form he is better than any pitcher in our rotation execpt for maybe Dickey.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

We just signed Tim Raines as outfield/base running coach.

Great signing.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:23 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:

Halladay had one bad year. No way would I want Buerhele over Halladay.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:

1) Detroit
2) Washington
3) Los Angeles
4) Philadelphia
5) Cincinnati
6) Tampa Bay
7) Toronto
8) Atlanta
9) San Francisco
10) Oakland

I'm still happy being the 3rd best rotation in the AL, and honestly, the Tigers are higher mostly because of Verlander, though their rotation is still sickly good otherwise as well. Outside of V vs Dickey, I'd take pretty much any of our 2-5 over theirs.

Old
12-31-2012, 07:56 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
We just signed Tim Raines as outfield/base running coach.

Great signing.
That's very interesting. Can't complain about that

Old
12-31-2012, 08:35 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:

1) Detroit
2) Washington
3) Los Angeles
4) Philadelphia
5) Cincinnati
6) Tampa Bay
7) Toronto
8) Atlanta
9) San Francisco
10) Oakland

I don't mind where he ranked Toronto. Although outside of David Price who else does Tampa Bay have that puts them in the top 10? Plus considering they traded James Shields wouldn't lossing him make their rotation not as good going into next season?

Old
12-31-2012, 09:01 PM
darko

Quote:

You'd take Buehrle over Doc? Come on now.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:13 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I don't mind where he ranked Toronto. Although outside of David Price who else does Tampa Bay have that puts them in the top 10? Plus considering they traded James Shields wouldn't lossing him make their rotation not as good going into next season?
Tampa's rotation is kind of overrated.
Are they talented? Sure but you really have no idea what your going to get from Moore, Archer, Cobb or Odroizzi.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:49 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

raines
i'll be damned

Old
12-31-2012, 10:24 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
raines
i'll be damned
what?

Old
12-31-2012, 10:37 PM
Swervin81
Mo Riles Mo Problems

Quote:
what?
Tim Raines hired as OF/3B coach.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Tampa's rotation is kind of overrated.
Are they talented? Sure but you really have no idea what your going to get from Moore, Archer, Cobb or Odroizzi.
Yeah I agree. I think Price and Moore are fantastic and Moore will probably improve next season but after that? I dunno. I think Hellickson is due to blow up... there is just no possible way he can continue to be this lucky. Niemann isn't that good but he is a fine bottom end starter. Archer/Cobb/Odorizzi should help but you can expect more than #4-5 production out of those guys.

Jays have a fantastic 1-4 rotation of Dickey/Johnson/Morrow/Buehrle and we all know Romero can be so much better. If he bounces back, somewhere between 2011 and 2012, that's an elite rotation and probably the best 1-5 rotation in the league and having Happ as the #6 guy is pretty wow.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:32 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Tim Raines hired as OF/3B coach.
by the Jays? Nice.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:35 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Matt Moore is really good too but after that there are question marks

Old
01-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
6 more weeks until pitchers and catchers report.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:12 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

"Raines waives Reyes around third. Safe at the plate!"

Old
01-01-2013, 10:30 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Are you high? So you write Halladay off because he was injured last year and didn't pitch very well, but would take Romero who just completely fell apart for no reason ahead of him? Even taking Buerhle ahead of him is insane.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
For 2013, I'd take Halladay over any of our 5 starters.

Easily.

Closed Thread