HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Lockout VI:ve la Revolution!

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Dream Big

vCash: 500
Quote:
jessespector 10:02pm via Tweetbot for iOS Fehr says mediation was involved today, still "a ways to go."
Interesting that "mediation" was involved. Maybe those mediators are going to be useful.

Lady Stanley, I don't know where (what thread) to ask this question.
A question that I don't know if it has already been asked/answered that I have is about the costs for non hockey player staff. All the "other" staff for each team. Does anyone know what the $ costs are for these? How similar are they from team to team.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:21 AM
stuffradio

vCash: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Interesting that "mediation" was involved. Maybe those mediators are going to be useful.

Lady Stanley, I don't know where (what thread) to ask this question.
A question that I don't know if it has already been asked/answered that I have is about the costs for non hockey player staff. All the "other" staff for each team. Does anyone know what the $ costs are for these? How similar are they from team to team.
It's the first I heard about mediation being involved again

Old
01-03-2013, 01:27 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
with all this talk of a potential new playoff format of 20 teams, has anybody seen how this would actually work? i can't find it anywhere
The League actually had the option under the last CBA to expand the playoffs to 20 teams - in either 2006 or 2007 - but they elected not to.

There would have been a new additional best-of-three "Playoff Qualification Round" (#7 vs #10 and #8 vs #9 in each conference), with the winners advancing as the #7 or #8 seeds into the regular Playoffs - which would still have been 4 rounds of best-of-seven.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:42 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Does anyone know what the $ costs are for these? How similar are they from team to team.
Apparently the average is 44m a year.

01-03-2013, 06:44 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
And I disagree with that. The majority of those contracts were given before Bettman memo and remained perfectly legal at the time. Vancouver, Chicago and Detroit, for instance, have no reason to be punished for finding an advantage. Granted, if the whole "if player retires original team is on the hook" helps Luongo's value. So I'm not too concerned about it.
Correct, but the GM's took a huge risk signing deals that went well beyond the CBA. No one knows what the next CBA will bring, and when you sign beyond that, players and GM's, you are entering unknown territory.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:08 AM
DyerMaker66*

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
So the system should be thrown out the window because of something that has happened once in the history of the 16-team bracket?
No, it should be thrown out the window because it's been out of date for the last 10+ years. The LA example simply demonstrates such.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:24 AM
manisback121

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
It's the first I heard about mediation being involved again
These guys only cost 500-800 an hour on the low end...drop in the bucket!

Old
01-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
I'm really getting irritated with how long this negotiation is taking. You know they are very close, but the last few details are holding this up.
The PA is probably just going to wait until the 11th hour to get whatever they can at this point, unless the paycheck for a few extra games clearly outweighs any additional provisions they can get in the CBA. Until then, I suspect we'll continue to hear the "We still have a ways to go, but we're close" soundbite for the next week.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:17 AM
DuklaNation

I hear the NHL wants to maintain a $16m spread between cap and floor at all times. This is a huge mistake as it can lead to weaker teams overpaying scrubs and doesnt address the financial issue. The floor should be maybe 60-67% of the cap. LEts say the cap moved to $80m, are we going to see a floor of $64m? Cant these guys see the obvious problem with that fixed spread?

Old
01-03-2013, 09:23 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Source? If thats true, it doesn't make sense.

Why would the NHL owners want the cap range locked that tight? They would end up overpaying for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
I hear the NHL wants to maintain a $16m spread between cap and floor at all times. This is a huge mistake as it can lead to weaker teams overpaying scrubs and doesnt address the financial issue. The floor should be maybe 60-67% of the cap. LEts say the cap moved to $80m, are we going to see a floor of $64m? Cant these guys see the obvious problem with that fixed spread?

Old
01-03-2013, 09:30 AM
DuklaNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
Source? If thats true, it doesn't make sense.

Why would the NHL owners want the cap range locked that tight? They would end up overpaying for sure.
I heard it on TV. The old CBA had a fixed spread of $16m each season. I really hope they do not have the same policy going forward.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:31 AM
cbcwpg

Quote:
I believe the NHL has always claimed that they need a small cap spread to maintain competitive balance.

I don't buy it either. IMO there should be no floor ( or a much wider gap ) as having a floor has caused the average salary to go up faster than it would have on its own. Forcing teams to overspend on talent does nothing to maintain competitive balance, it just makes you overpay for someone who should cost you less.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:38 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Yes thats what I meant - why would the NHL negotiate in support of that continuing in a new CBA?

Quote:
I heard it on TV. The old CBA had a fixed spread of $16m each season. I really hope they do not have the same policy going forward.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:44 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
I believe the NHL has always claimed that they need a small cap spread to maintain competitive balance.

I don't buy it either. IMO there should be no floor ( or a much wider gap ) as having a floor has caused the average salary to go up faster than it would have on its own. Forcing teams to overspend on talent does nothing to maintain competitive balance, it just makes you overpay for someone who should cost you less.
Not sure what logic you used for that. Under the previous CBA salaries were a result of revenues. The amount players made was a % of HRR. So the average salary went up due to reveneus going up, had nothing to do with salary floors.

The floor is necessary to maintain actual salary paid to be a close approximation to the stipulated % of HRR. Increasing the spread between the two, or even worse eliminating the floor, could cause a huge discrepency between salary paid and what the players are entitled to, causing the players to have to fork over huge amounts in escrow, which is precisely what they hate.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:51 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Not sure what logic you used for that. Under the previous CBA salaries were a result of revenues. The amount players made was a % of HRR. So the average salary went up due to reveneus going up, had nothing to do with salary floors.

The floor is necessary to maintain actual salary paid to be a close approximation to the stipulated % of HRR. Increasing the spread between the two, or even worse eliminating the floor, could cause a huge discrepency between salary paid and what the players are entitled to, causing the players to have to fork over huge amounts in escrow, which is precisely what they hate.
Actually, eliminating the floor would cause the spread to go the other way (in the owners favour), potentially causing owners to have to pay out more to the players.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:17 AM
cbcwpg

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412704

According to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, the second year salary cap is still a pressing topic as the players are looking for $65 million, while the NHL remains committed to a $60 million cap.

Additional issues such as terms on contracts and pension remain the most significant "open" issues, according to Dreger. Pension experts are joining the talks to deal with the issues.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Pilky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
Yes thats what I meant - why would the NHL negotiate in support of that continuing in a new CBA?
Because they're idiots who have consistently demonstrated a complete and utter lack of foresight?

Old
01-03-2013, 10:27 AM
digdug41982

The use of mediators makes me think there will not be a deal. Mediators are just going to validate the PA's demands and force the NHL to offer more on all fronts to make a deal. I don't think they are willing to concede on everything.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
The resolution to this is revenue sharing. They need to keep the floor close to maintain parity but also must ensure the lower revenue teams are viable when forced to spend more than what they can afford.

The PA was right about this, which is probably why the NHL didn't really make much of a fuss about revenue sharing either.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Retail1LO*
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO* Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO* Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO*
Quick question.... Has anyone heard word on anything regarding the league's previously proposed realignment that was shot down?

Old
01-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show

After the year two drop, will the cap be a fixed figure or a variable figure like last CBA?

Old
01-03-2013, 10:50 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
After the year two drop, will the cap be a fixed figure or a variable figure like last CBA?
You would think so, linkage will still be there...

Old
01-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Great... Now they're putting up two buyouts per team.

That just isn't necessary...

Old
01-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Not sure who has a problem with a $65mil cap... Doubt it's any of the owner's that carry the NHL's weak links... And doubtful It's a major sticking point in negotiations...

Old
01-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
You would think so, linkage will still be there...
Ahhhhh yes. Brain fart

Closed Thread