HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 28 • Canada 6, Slovakia 3 • Part III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-28-2012, 01:38 PM
  #51
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,369
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
It was a clean hit, that Slovakian player needs to skate with his head up. Camara glided in, and didn't jump, it was a clean hard hit, not a charge.
I clearly said the hit was clean, but he was charging to the hit. And y2kcanucks: he cleared skated fast to hit him, you are wrong. The refs gave him a 5 minute major because he was taken off a stretcher.

S E P H is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 01:39 PM
  #52
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,369
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
I watched both the Slovakia/Russia game, and now the Slovakia/Canada game, and I've been very impressed by Slovakia. In both games they were by far the less skilled team but through a workmanlike team effort managed to stay in both games - and almost pull out a win against Russia. They should be proud of their effort, I'm going to be rooting for them the rest of the tournament; I'd love to see them upset the US.
I wanted an upset today.

S E P H is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 01:40 PM
  #53
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,400
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I clearly said the hit was clean, but he was charging to the hit. And y2kcanucks: he cleared skated fast to hit him, you are wrong. The refs gave him a 5 minute major because he was taken off a stretcher.
It was a clean hit. You are wrong, and every analyst agrees with me.

Camara shouldn't be penalized because the other player is weak and doesn't keep his head up. This is hockey, not golf.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 01:40 PM
  #54
Luuuongo
Crabs!
 
Luuuongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
It could do a lot of harm. They're going up against one of the best teams in the tournament. You go with your number one guy in those games. If Binnington was going to get a game, it would have been against Germany or Slovakia.

Not really sure why people are complaining about Subban. He had no chance on most of the goals he let in in both games, and has made a ton of big saves. You can't just look at stats.
Canada has back to backs vs USA/RUS. Binnington should at least get one and it should be USA. USA is first. We're a lock to get through to the QFs anyways.

Luuuongo is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 01:42 PM
  #55
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Exactly. If Hamilton doesn't go into that corner sliding on his knees, his face doesn't get rubbed into the boards by the other guy's ass. It was interference for sure, but if Hamilton's on his feet, there's not cut to his chin. I'm almost done with Hamilton, to be honest. Possibly the defenseman I'm most disappointed with (except for his stretch passes, which are hard and very accurate), and seeing him complain and throw his helmet on the ice after getting to the bench after that little nick to the chin just soured me even more. He should fit in well in Boston.
I'm not impressed with Hamilton either. It has nothing with to do with me being a Leafs fan fyi to those who accuse me, I'm over the trade, what's done is done. I like Hamilton, but he hasn't been that good in international play; very disappointing more than anything. He wasn't that great at last year's WJC, he wasn't very good in the Summer series, and he's been mediocre at this year's WJC too despite being pegged as the #1 go-to guy on this team. I hope he turns it around for Canada's sake but I'm not impressed at all.

LeafOfBread is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 01:46 PM
  #56
crazycanuck
Registered User
 
crazycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I clearly said the hit was clean, but he was charging to the hit. And y2kcanucks: he cleared skated fast to hit him, you are wrong. The refs gave him a 5 minute major because he was taken off a stretcher.
How can you say it's clean and then say it was a charge?

Watch the hit again, Camara turned down the boards took one stride right after the turn and then glided into the hit. He hit with his shoulder and it was dead on. It was not a penalty, it was a really hard hit that unfortunately lead to an injury. The only reason there was a contact to the head was because the Slovakian player had his head down.

crazycanuck is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 01:47 PM
  #57
Trap Jesus
Registered User
 
Trap Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
I'm not impressed with Hamilton either. It has nothing with to do with me being a Leafs fan fyi to those who accuse me
Oh, ok.

I was really impressed with Drouin. I thought he was starting to get a bit overrated heading into the draft relative to Mackinnon, but he looked fantastic out there.

Trap Jesus is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 01:47 PM
  #58
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,369
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
It was a clean hit. You are wrong, and every analyst agrees with me.

Camara shouldn't be penalized because the other player is weak and doesn't keep his head up. This is hockey, not golf.
LOL I keep telling you it was a clean hit and he got a 5 and game because the player was taken off with a stretcher, is that hard to understand? What he did wrong is "charge" at full speed into him.

S E P H is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 01:49 PM
  #59
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,400
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
How can you say it's clean and then say it was a charge?

Watch the hit again, Camara turned down the boards took one stride right after the turn and then glided into the hit. He hit with his shoulder and it was dead on. It was not a penalty, it was a really hard hit that unfortunately lead to an injury. The only reason there was a contact to the head was because the Slovakian player had his head down.
It was clean because if a Slovakian player hit a Canadian player like that, maybe the Canadian has his head up and it's a routine body check. But since it was a big bad Canadian player hitting a Slovakian player who had his head down, now it's a penalty.

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 01:52 PM
  #60
MyNameIsNobody*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
It could do a lot of harm. They're going up against one of the best teams in the tournament. You go with your number one guy in those games. If Binnington was going to get a game, it would have been against Germany or Slovakia.

Not really sure why people are complaining about Subban. He had no chance on most of the goals he let in in both games, and has made a ton of big saves. You can't just look at stats.
Spott is SLOW...he looks almost ....

The goalies should have been rotated...Subban has no confidence -

Best D Ouellet-Reinhart - Reilly - Harington even Wotherspoon were good . Hamilton was steady...as for Murphy, he had some descent rushes and corrected himself on a couple of errors...The only thing with Murphy is that he is able to bring the puck to the defenders blue line but than looses the puck at the blue line...he isn't as bad as people make him out to be...he should learn to pass a little more - He should stay the 7th D...But SPOT is so slow he'll realize this after the tournament...

I wish they had a 1 mean D to clear the crease...

Macinnon NEEDS MORE ICE time - Will Spott realize this ??

Ill be the first to admit i was wrong about Drouin...I would have preferred Wilson/Monahan over Drouin...but he proved me wrong...

MyNameIsNobody* is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 01:52 PM
  #61
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,400
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
LOL I keep telling you it was a clean hit and he got a 5 and game because the player was taken off with a stretcher, is that hard to understand? What he did wrong is "charge" at full speed into him.
How can it be a clean hit and worthy of a penalty? If he charged then its charging, but he didn't charge lol.

It's stupid that a player gets a penalty for a clean hit just because the other player is injured. Stupid stupid stupid officiating.

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 01:55 PM
  #62
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
Oh, ok.

I was really impressed with Drouin. I thought he was starting to get a bit overrated heading into the draft relative to Mackinnon, but he looked fantastic out there.
Keep laughing. I wanted to make it clear because people around here are close-minded when it comes to this. You can even check my post history, I never complain about the Kessel trade nor do I bring it up (this time I did but it was for a good reason). I like Hamilton, he's a great player and prospect. All I said was that I'm not impressed with his play at the international stage. Do you disagree? Am I wrong with anything I said? Then again this will probably fly over your head and you'll give me another sarcastic retort.

LeafOfBread is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 01:59 PM
  #63
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,369
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
How can it be a clean hit and worthy of a penalty? If he charged then its charging, but he didn't charge lol.

It's stupid that a player gets a penalty for a clean hit just because the other player is injured. Stupid stupid stupid officiating.
This is how I saw it.

*Play leading to hit* = penalty
*Actual hit* = clean

Yes the player had his head down and is fault for 50% of the blame, but IMO I think Camara deserved a 2 min charge penalty. Considering Canada won, I don't think it's that big of a deal compared to the player's health.

S E P H is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:01 PM
  #64
Alerion
Get the Can Opener
 
Alerion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,652
vCash: 250
Thoughts on today:

-First period was awful. I'm not even going to discuss it.

-Subban seems to be the #1 tendy now, for better or worse. I wish Binnington got a shot but Spott's gone all in on Subban. He hasn't been necessarily bad, but he hasn't really proved he's the best goalie we have either. He's been serviceable and I'm not sure if that's enough to beat the Americans/Russians.

-Lipon's going to get 2 games for his hit. It was a high hit with contact to the head, and the Slovak player sold his "injury" really well.

-Speaking of selling things, Scheifele's dive was disgusting. I don't want to see any of that in the game of hockey, especially from a Canadian. Aside from that play, he had an impressive game.

-Strome played a hell of a lot better today. He and Drouin make the second line pretty formidable, although Ritchie has been relatively invisible.

-It was nice to see MacKinnon and Drouin get ice time together. Even Ray Ferraro remarked they had natural chemistry on the ice. They logged a lot of ice time in the Slovak's end in the third period and had a couple scoring chances (Mac's nasty dangle).

-Camara's ejection was a joke. It was a good, clean hit that unfortunately resulted in an injury because the Slovakian player had his head down, and shows exactly what is wrong with the injury=ejection rule the IIHF uses. Not all plays that result in injuries are illegal or malicious, and this hit is a perfect example of such a play. My thoughts do go out to the Slovak player and I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

-Rielly really impressed today, and Murphy had a strong game as well. They definitely showed what they can bring to the table offensively and aside from the first period weren't liabilities on defence. Rielly, to me, was the spark plug for Team Canada today.

-Danault is so dependable defensively. Quietly effective and consistent; exactly what we need.

-Ouellet has emerged as Canada's #1 d-man thus far. He's not the flashiest or the strongest player but he's excellent positionally and has great vision in the offensive zone.

-Dougie Hamilton played a lot better today, but he still leaves something to be desired. Throwing his helmet was childish and selfish. If you can't keep your emotions in check you shouldn't be on the ice.

It's going to be an uphill battle to the gold medal game and it begins on Sunday. So far we've been able to outscore our problems against lesser teams but the Americans and the Russians are going to provide stern tests. Hopefully our boys will rise to the challenge.


Last edited by Alerion: 12-28-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Alerion is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:01 PM
  #65
crazycanuck
Registered User
 
crazycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
This is how I saw it.

*Play leading to hit* = penalty
*Actual hit* = clean

Yes the player had his head down and is fault for 50% of the blame, but IMO I think Camara deserved a 2 min charge penalty. Considering Canada won, I don't think it's that big of a deal compared to the player's health.
Except that you are wrong, Camara did nothing leading up to the hit that is a charge. Prepping for a hit is not a penalty.

crazycanuck is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:03 PM
  #66
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,369
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Except that you are wrong, Camara did nothing leading up to the hit that is a charge. Prepping for a hit is not a penalty.
No, skating and then gliding close to full speed is a charge. In Europe and America that is a penalty.

S E P H is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:04 PM
  #67
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,400
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
This is how I saw it.

*Play leading to hit* = penalty
*Actual hit* = clean

Yes the player had his head down and is fault for 50% of the blame, but IMO I think Camara deserved a 2 min charge penalty. Considering Canada won, I don't think it's that big of a deal compared to the player's health.
How is it a charge?! He glided into the player, that's how you body check!! What should he have done? Just stood there and done nothing? Hockey is a contact sport!

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:05 PM
  #68
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,400
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
No, skating and then gliding close to full speed is a charge. In Europe and America that is a penalty.
No it isn't. Taking strides to go into a player is a charge. Gliding into a player like Camara did isn't a charge.

You saw a clean hit that you are even forced to admit, and now you're coming up with some ludicrous explanation for why it was a penalty.

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:08 PM
  #69
crazycanuck
Registered User
 
crazycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
No, skating and then gliding close to full speed is a charge. In Europe and America that is a penalty.
Under that "ruling" all high speed hits are penalties which is false. You're way off base here. Camara wasn't going much faster than most players go into a hit at, the Slovakian player was just unprepared for the hit.

crazycanuck is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:08 PM
  #70
babblemoth
my heart and I agree
 
babblemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Except that you are wrong, Camara did nothing leading up to the hit that is a charge. Prepping for a hit is not a penalty.
Agreed - in the full of the play he had circled back into the forecheck. There really was no charge. Camara had lots of speed, but he did not come right across the ice to nail the guy with a head of steam.

Think the penalty was reaction and that's fine, but glad to see no further discipline as unfortunate it was and is that Luza had to leave on a stretcher.

babblemoth is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:11 PM
  #71
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
Oh, ok.

I was really impressed with Drouin. I thought he was starting to get a bit overrated heading into the draft relative to Mackinnon, but he looked fantastic out there.
I have been blown away with Drouin in this tournament. Definitely living up to the hype. In his limited action, MacKinnon has been similar - I want to see Spott give them more ice-time together, but I'm not holding my breath in that regard.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:11 PM
  #72
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerion View Post
-Dougie Hamilton played a lot better today, but he still leaves something to be desired. The minor penalty he took for throwing his helmet was childish and selfish. If you can't keep your emotions in check you shouldn't be on the ice.
Don't think he got a penalty for that. In fact I'm positive, because it led to the 5-3 goal by Rielly while Hamilton was on the bench getting cleaned up.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:12 PM
  #73
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,400
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by babblemoth View Post
Agreed - in the full of the play he had circled back into the forecheck. There really was no charge. Camara had lots of speed, but he did not come right across the ice to nail the guy with a head of steam.

Think the penalty was reaction and that's fine, but glad to see no further discipline as unfortunate it was and is that Luza had to leave on a stretcher.
Actually it's not fine. Making penalty calls based on a player getting injured on a play is absolutely stupid. Penalize the infraction, not the result!

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:15 PM
  #74
babblemoth
my heart and I agree
 
babblemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Actually it's not fine. Making penalty calls based on a player getting injured on a play is absolutely stupid. Penalize the infraction, not the result!
Fair enough. I just get tired of debating calls that were made and can't be retracted. Nothing I can do and figure it gets addressed by the people directly involved. Just my stance in that sense.

babblemoth is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 02:16 PM
  #75
Alerion
Get the Can Opener
 
Alerion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,652
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Don't think he got a penalty for that. In fact I'm positive, because it led to the 5-3 goal by Rielly while Hamilton was on the bench getting cleaned up.
I could have sworn he did but I guess I'm mistaken. I still don't like the action though, we saw Huberdeau get penalized last year for slamming his stick into the boards.

Alerion is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.