- Incredibly fast pace to the game. Very few stoppages...both teams came out flying.
- A 5 minute penalty gave Canada their 2-0 lead, and Scheifele (who also scored) made a very bad giveaway to cut the lead in half. Canada's powerplay has found life.
Some individual points:
- Grigorenko is a very smart playmaker. A very precise passer and seems to find stick blades where most players wouldn't.
- Boone Jenner came back for Canada with a vengeance. Lots of energy and is tireless in his effort.
- Ouelett, Harrington, and Hamilton led the defensive effort for Canada...shutting down the Russians.
- Tyler Wotherspoon has been getting abused out there lol
- Morgan Rielly's first touch of the puck resulted in him fanning his pass and leading to a scoring chance. He is losing battles (or needs assistance) on the boards and I feel this is important to note for Leafs fans. On the powerplay, a whole different story and he is simply a marvel to watch with his trifecta of skating ability, passing ability, and hockey IQ. He is so good on the point it is joy to watch.
- Murphy and Hamilton have been better on the PP, but I suppose this is long overdue. Hamilton's shot was perfect and Murphy too has been shooting well. When you shoot like that, eventually it goes in.
- Yakupov was shut down and in particular we saw Rielly handle him well in open ice in a short handed opportunity for Nail. Oulette hit him well too. Yakupov has been a non-factor but that effort needs to continue because he can come out of nowhere.