HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 28 • Russia 2, United States 1 • Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 12:23 PM
c9gunner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
I also thought Yakupov was garbage. He has never impressed me in the few times I have seen him play live.
He is a good player. He still needs to find some chemistry with the teammates.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:24 PM
RPGrizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
I doubt he would use it if he had trouble with it He had a good game, really impressed with him. Made some big saves at 0-1 and at 1-2. This is a great USA team.
That's true, if it works then it works. He's a great goalie. It just intrigues me whenever I see it.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 1040
Quote:
I also thought Yakupov was garbage. He has never impressed me in the few times I have seen him play live.
Other than his diving block at the end, the whole game he seemed so selfish and just seemed to want to score by himself...

And I don't understand why the USA only played Galchenyuk under 10 minutes...

Old
12-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Jtown

Quote:

Yakupov struggles to find any sort of chemistry with other players on the ice.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Any Streams? Only one I can find is replaying the Canada/Slovakia game

Old
12-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9gunner View Post
He is a good player. He still needs to find some chemistry with the teammates.
More like someone needs to remind Yakupov that he does have linemates. He was incredibly selfish with the puck.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Siberian

Just as I suspected Yakupov's size is a huge problem for him. Being this undersized he is unwilling to enter the zone close to the boards and make a pass. He chooses to stickhandle through the center ice and lose the puck instead of finding partners. His smallish frame will not allow to fight through checks and score goals, he needs an elite center who can constantly feed him.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
Any Streams? Only one I can find is replaying the Canada/Slovakia game
Skip to about 4 hours 19 minutes here for the full game.
http://www.justin.tv/furby17/b/351869562

Edit: 3 hours 25 minutes. 4 hours 19 is the second period.

Last edited by Dynamo81: 12-28-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Was I the only one who was seriously impressed with Ryan Hartman in this game?

And I didn't think Jones was bad. Mentally he kind of dulled out his decisions toward the end of the game but to me it looked like he elevated his game early on to stop Russia.

Sucks that the USA allowed that flukey goal in the first period.

Old
Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
Geezzzzz.... His mother is also Belarusian.
Relax, Wikipedia says father Belarussian and mother Russian and played hockey in Russia until he was 15. He also is quoted to say .....on playing for team russia,"A lot of people ask me why I choose to play for US, when you're whole family is RUSSIAN".

He choose to play for USA and that's fine, he has the right to.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:32 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
More like someone needs to remind Yakupov that he does have linemates.
I think during the timeout he was told to start playing for the team. That's why he blocked that shot. He is not stupid. I'm sure he will adjust his style going forward.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Slay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonglk View Post
Good game. Americans have very good time. Good passing, good thinking, but too offensive sometimes.
Their D was maybe little too aggressive, to the point that they gave up quite many odd man rushes.

Last edited by Slay: 12-28-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
Geezzzzz.... His mother is also Belarusian.
No. Not to mention that most Belarusian players (like his father) who got to play in Russia have double citezenship.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
Just as I suspected Yakupov's size is a huge problem for him. Being this undersized he is unwilling to enter the zone close to the boards and make a pass. He chooses to stickhandle through the center ice and lose the puck instead of finding partners. His smallish frame will not allow to fight through checks and score goals, he needs an elite center who can constantly feed him.
I agree with this, Not an elite center, just a center who will feed him the puck regularly is need. He had the same problem in the KHL although he did develop good chemistry with the Centre (Petr Koukal). He is obviously very talented and has immense potential and I think he would fit into the Oilers well to complement his game.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I thought it was a good effort given the circumstances. The U.S. is basically as advertized: a good (maybe excellent) skating team with good defense and goaltending. Not such a good offense though. Seems to me to be a chemistry issue-as there are some talented individuals on the team. Barring a disaster they should advance and be a problem for whoever they play in the quarters.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Den

It will be really difficult for Yakupov to live up to the hype in the NHL....

Old
12-28-2012, 12:37 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
how many player x is crap and is overrated comments have we had in this thread based on todays game
HF is awesome for that

Old
12-28-2012, 12:39 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Relax, Wikipedia says father Belarussian and mother Russian
I guess wikipedia is wrong.

Alexander Galchenyuk: "....my wife is Belarussian as well"

http://goals.by/hockey/articles/71633

http://www.pressball.by/news/hockey/110081

Old
12-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I was quoting a post, I think it was Dynamo81's when the last thread was closed.

I was going to say that Nichuskin's game winning assist was a bit fortunate with how the puck bounced. Galchenyuk had a similar play but the puck bounced to a Russian defender and was cleared. That's the way the game goes though. Sometimes you get the bounce sometimes you don't.

Also I don't think Galchenyuk had a bad game when he was on the ice like a lot of American fans are saying. I thought he looked energized and tried to make plays. I really would like him moved back to center so that he can handle the puck more. He's a solid defensively player so I don't think he needs to be sheltered on the wing.
According to a previous post, he only played 9 and 1/2 minutes. If that's true, then that could explain why he didn't have as much impact as people expected.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:41 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Relax, Wikipedia says father Belarussian and mother Russian and played hockey in Russia until he was 15. He also is quoted to say .....on playing for team russia,"A lot of people ask me why I choose to play for US, when you're whole family is RUSSIAN".

He choose to play for USA and that's fine, he has the right to.
Some Russians don't think so and sound bitter about his choice.
North Americans don't see the difference between Russia and Belarus like I didn't see any difference between Canadians and Americans till I moved to the US.

And you use Wiki as a ligit information source?
http://www.pressball.by/news/hockey/110081
His father said right after the draft:
Quote:
I'm Belarusian. My wife is Belarusian, our parents are Belarusians. Alex every year visiting Minsk.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Phil Housley is not even a good high school coach, not sure why they thought he was qualified to coach in this tourney

Old
12-28-2012, 12:45 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Even though he had a bad 3rd period I can see the hype behind Jones.

He has everything to make GM's drool.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:46 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
how many player x is crap and is overrated comments have we had in this thread based on todays game
HF is awesome for that
One game scouting reports.

I only caught about 10 minutes of the game but while here, on HF, posters were lauding Seth Jones every time he touched the puck. Now, during the recap, he's one of the worst players in the game? I take it he was directly to blame for one of the goals scored against?

Old
12-28-2012, 12:46 PM
MISC*
Negged.

I know it's very premature, but I can see Yakupov's playing style being very.....unpopular in Edm.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I think the US really lacked that killer instinct. with under 5 minutes in the game, they played the same way the did the entire game. Thats not entirely a bad thing as this group looked calm and didnt panic, but I just wanted to see a bit more bite in the final minutes as every point matters in seedings.

I also got frustrated with the amount of times the US gained the zone and had a trailer wide open only to see them work it cross ice or dump it behind the net. cant count the amount of time I screamed "drop the puck back"!! "hes wide open!" Maybe that is an issue of lack of communication between players, but it happened a lot and could have led to many more chances.

Positives:

Gibson looked great. If the US doesnt medal, I doubt it will be on his shoulders. I really like his poise and calm demeaner. Kid looks to be a real bright spot for this team.

We only lost 2-1 to a Russian team playing at home with Galchenyuk and our top line really doing nothing, and our 3rd line Biggs-Trocheck-Lucia really not being on the ice a ton...I take that as a positive as we have a real good team, that should have played better but still outplayed Russia in this loss with some of our better players not doing a lot. We cant have that happen again against Canada, but I take it as a positive to move in the right direction.

Ryan Hartman is a great player. I cant say it enough how impressed with him I am. Everytime he touched the puck he was making something happen. He needs to get moved up to the top line IMO, as he could cause a lot of havoc with Galy.

Our defense was fine, especially Mike Reilly. Very impressed with him away from the puck. From what I felt would be his weakness, kid stepped up and made some impressive plays away from the puck. Overall our defense made mistakes, which is going to happen this early on, but you can see the talent, speed, and puck moving ability of this group. Gostisbehere was solid as well.

Overall it was a good game for the US. We have areas to work on, but I came away impressed that this team didnt get outskated or outworked for much of the game. Our goaltending and defense is fine, which is what usually lets us down. We need some others to step up and get us some more scoring, but that should come over more time together.

and oh yeah....hey Phil Housley, PLAY GALCHENYUK MORE THEN 9 MINUTES!! YIKES!
Obviously, the US is a great team, and they showed it today. They shouldn't let today's result dampen their spirits, because they gave an outstanding performance. Without a doubt, Canada will have their hands full when the two teams meet. The round robin is just for positioning, and the medal round is what really counts.

Closed Thread