HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 28 • Russia 2, United States 1 • Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 11:52 AM
dem

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
I know it's very premature, but I can see Yakupov's playing style being very.....unpopular in Edm.
Yakupov is having a hard time playing his style in this so called "system" the Russians are playing.

They need to cycle and set up his shot. The whole team up to this point is just taking turns rushing the puck and getting a shot off. Garbage hockey.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:54 AM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
The round robin is just for positioning, and the medal round is what really counts.
Though getting a bye in to the semifinals would be nice.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Bure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Yakupov is having a hard time playing his style in this so called "system" the Russians are playing.

They need to cycle and set up his shot. The whole team up to this point is just taking turns rushing the puck and getting a shot off. Garbage hockey.
What a joke! This hockey wins medals.

Yakupov has been playing selfish, and at times tries to do too much. He needs to settle down his chances will come. This is on the player not the system.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Mr Writer

I find the conversation about Galchenyuk fascinating...and if I can add another little wrinkle to the debate, Galchenyuk is actually a Ukrainian surname. I'm sure all our western Canadian friends with Ukrainian heritage can attest to that. Boy the break up of the Soviet Union really confused things in the world...and now even a Russian is playing for the Czech U20 team... oh what a mixed up world we live in...

Old
12-28-2012, 11:59 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
One game scouting reports.

I only caught about 10 minutes of the game but while here, on HF, posters were lauding Seth Jones every time he touched the puck. Now, during the recap, he's one of the worst players in the game? I take it he was directly to blame for one of the goals scored against?

I dont know I missed the game so I dont know but its amazing how people can just pop off and call a highly regarded prospect overrated or whatever based on one game. I get people are unhappy the US lost but by all accounts it was a great game. The Russians just had the better goaltender today.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:00 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:

He needs to adapt to the teams system. Theteam shouldn;t adapt to him.

Also, yelling at the bench during the game? It will be interesting watching him in the NHL.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:01 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

What is Housley doing playing Galchenyuk for only 9:32 TOI, he did something similar against the Germans and everyone said it was to prep for this game. Yes Galchenyuk wasn't his usual self today but giving him no time on ice even in a game he was dominating isn't the way to get the best out of your players. Awful coaching

Old
12-28-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Phil Housley is not even a good high school coach, not sure why they thought he was qualified to coach in this tourney
I'm not a fan of him, the line up or the team selected.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:08 PM
JetsFlyHigh

Jets prospects Jacob Trouba and Mark Scheifele looks good.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:09 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post

Yakupov has been playing selfish, and at times tries to do too much. He needs to settle down his chances will come. This is on the player not the system.
I agree, but this is not the only style they play, it varies by line. The Grig-Kucherov-Slepyshev(this guy not playing well) have been breaking defense down by making sick passing plays. Kucherov has already had 3 partial breakaways and has gone forehand everytime, the guy would have scored if he went backhand.
Yakupov does not fit, he just goes hard to the outside, stops, cuts to the middle, shot. Does it in the KHL too. Nail you are like a broken record!

Old
12-28-2012, 12:11 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I find the conversation about Galchenyuk fascinating...and if I can add another little wrinkle to the debate, Galchenyuk is actually a Ukrainian surname. I'm sure all our western Canadian friends with Ukrainian heritage can attest to that. Boy the break up of the Soviet Union really confused things in the world...and now even a Russian is playing for the Czech U20 team... oh what a mixed up world we live in...
In Belarus we also have a lot of last names ending with -yuk. Belarusian and Ukrainian languages are similar. In Belarusian and Ukrainian KOVAL (Kovalchuk, Kovalev) means Smith, while in Russian laguage Koval is Kuznets (Kuznetsov). So both Kovalchuk and Kuznetsov would have been Smiths if they were born in North America,

Old
12-28-2012, 12:11 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:

Isn't that how the Russian team always plays in the WJCs?

Old
12-28-2012, 12:12 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 9000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
If the Gaudreau-Miller-Grimaldi line is still intact for the game against Canada, I'll have lost all confidence in Phil Housley as a coach. Their lack of cohesiveness and chemistry after 3 games is inexcusable. The disparity between BC Gaudreau and WJC Gaudreau is unbelievable. His confidence is non-existent, and pairing him with Grimaldi makes no sense. When Gaudreau is playing well in BC, he's dictating the play, and he has the puck on his stick. I've seen him play 5-6 times this year, and the same number last year. When he's playing with Grimaldi, Grimaldi is always holding onto the puck. Those two cannot work together, they play the exact same style and having two of that same style does not work on a line. Combine the fact the fact that Grimaldi and Miller are both playing out of position(Grimaldi is a center and Miller a winger), it's just not going to work. Miller's style is much more conducive to being a winger because he likes to forecheck and work the corners, which a center doesn't do. They may not want to make 3 scoring lines, but I see it as the only way to get Gaudreau and Grimaldi clicking.

Galchenyuk-Kuraly-Barber
Gaudreau-Trocheck-Biggs
Lucia/Vesey-Grimaldi-Miller
Pietila-Bardreau-Hartman

In this case, it gives both Gaudreau and Grimaldi two bigger guys to work with, and it will allow them to dictate the pace of play for their line. They have the puck on their stick, and have two bigger forwards that can work the corners to get them the puck, and crash and bang in front of the net.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:15 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:

Puck possession wins medals. See your nations hockey history prior to the point it stopped winning medals.

Unless Makarov stands on his head and/or Subban plays terribly the New Year's Eve game is going to be a repeat of the Canada Russia 2010 Olympic game.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:16 PM
L4vK

USA coach logic, Player A gets player of the game award... play him less than 10 minutes

Old
12-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Puck possession wins medals. See your nations hockey history prior to the point it stopped winning medals.

Unless Makarov stands on his head and/or Subban plays terribly the New Year's Eve game is going to be a repeat of the Canada Russia 2010 Olympic game.
We will see about that.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:19 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
game is going to be a repeat of the Canada Russia 2010 Olympic game.
If fan predictions were for real, the Vancouver Canucks would already have gotten a dozen of Stanley cups.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:20 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9gunner View Post
He is a good player. He still needs to find some chemistry with the teammates.
Nail reminds me of Ovechin. If he doesn't score he's not too much of a factor. Needs to play a much smarter and more complete game.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:

Yawn, same argument for the 2011 WJC final when Canada played a tired Russia, same argument last year when Canada played a tired Russia. Sure Canada is the favorite but the four matches in the Russia Vs Canada series in August were split with two wins each.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:26 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
Nail reminds me of Ovechin. If he doesn't score he's not too much of a factor
Today he looked exactly like Ovechkin in the WJHC 2005 final against Canada. Too much frustration, too much selfishness, too much screaming at the teammates, and zero result. I really hope he will adjust.

Old
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
Yawn, same argument for the 2011 WJC final when Canada played a tired Russia, same argument last year when Canada played a tired Russia. Sure Canada is the favorite but the four matches in the Russia Vs Canada series in August were split with two wins each.
I admitted it's possible that far superior goaltending will save Russia again. I wouldn't bet on it.

It's sad for me to see the nation that invented cycling to be reduced to one-on-one dangle offs to generate offense.

Old
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
Nail reminds me of Ovechin. If he doesn't score he's not too much of a factor. Needs to play a much smarter and more complete game.
not sure how ovechkin was in his junior days, but he certainly still impacts the game when hes not scoring

Old
12-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Bure

Quote:
I admitted it's possible that far superior goaltending will save Russia again. I wouldn't bet on it.

It's sad for me to see the nation that invented cycling to be reduced to one-on-one dangle offs to generate offense.
Yea just like last year when we were up 6-1 on your home ice and our goalie collapsed? Our goalie was definitely the deciding factor there. Or how about in the gold medal game in Buffalo when our goaltending stole the game, oh wait no he got pulled.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:33 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Yea just like last year when we were up 6-1 on your home ice and our goalie collapsed? Our goalie was definitely the deciding factor there. Or how about in the gold medal game in Buffalo when our goaltending stole the game, oh wait no he got pulled.
How did you get up 6-1 in the first place?

The weakness in Canadian hockey development is that we are terrible at training goalies. The weakness in Russian hockey development is that all the forwards are taught to be puck hogs.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Qrispy

Quote:

By "this hockey" you mean your goalies being almost unbeatable despite playing a so-so game?

Closed Thread