HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 28 • Russia 2, United States 1 • Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Fantomas

vCash: 500
I am sold on Nichushkin. Sold.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:03 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I also must admit that Grigorenko is the man on that team. So damn hard to knock off the puck, he is a tough player to fight against. He reminded me of Jagr at times with the puck as when you think you have him, he just bounces off a hit and still controls the puck like he did with Miller...

Old
12-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonDRW View Post
The more I watch Yakupov live the more he reminds me some other great Russian busts like Filatov and Zherdev.

On the other hand, Nichuskin is already a hell of a player at 17. His willingness to do all he can and a little bit more in every situation reminds me Kuznetsov performances at two last WJHC. Players like this win champs. Possible future star player.
Hilarious bandwagoning. I am loving Nichushkin here, but he's not better than Yakupov.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:05 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I see a lot of heat going towards Housley, and though I have to say that Gaudreau and Grimaldi need to be seperated, and he needs to play Galchenyuk a hell of a lot more...this team only lost 2-1, controlled much of the play, and just didnt get that 1 bounce it needed. I really have no beef with Housley yet as this is where you learn what works and what doesnt. If he doesnt adjust a bit against Canada then yes, I welcome the criticism....but give him a few games here to get things rolling.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I see a lot of heat going towards Housley, and though I have to say that Gaudreau and Grimaldi need to be seperated, and he needs to play Galchenyuk a hell of a lot more...this team only lost 2-1, controlled much of the play, and just didnt get that 1 bounce it needed. I really have no beef with Housley yet as this is where you learn what works and what doesnt. If he doesnt adjust a bit against Canada then yes, I welcome the criticism....but give him a few games here to get things rolling.
I tend to agree, although the mark of a good coach is the ability to make in game adjustments. I haven't seen that from a lines perspective, so hopefully that happens before Sunday's tilt. I will say I'm generally pleased with the overall defensive scheme and execution. Seems to be a fairly cohesive effort. That is a sign of good coaching and player buy in.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:32 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Pffft, if Semin can be an all-star in the NHL so can Yakupov.

Yak is a hard worker, but he is certainly not perfect.

Just picture him on Nugent-Hopkins's wing. Won't take long for him to score 40.
well if you think he'll be as good as semin than be prepared to have your heart broken

Old
12-28-2012, 02:33 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Tkachev, Sigarev (what's wrong with him?), Grigorenko are the back bone of this team on offense. Yakupov is an ego-maniac, Kucherov is a great scorer but very one dimensional, Kosov is limited, Kapustin is garbage (how does one take him over Zykov/Zlobin?) I am also hoping for some production from Shalunov and Nichushkin. Nichushkin, though, however tenacious, has one move (the one that resulted in a goal), but at least he can be useful in other aspects of the game. Ko-ko is looking lost next to iseenopartnersyakupov guy...

Old
12-28-2012, 02:35 PM
cska78

Yakupov - when grows up will be a solid first line winger, but by no means should he try creating his own offense as often as he is trying now, kid just needs to mature. Grigorenko will be a very good player, not a superstar, but a solid 2nd line player.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:35 PM
CSKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap-the-Head View Post
The more I watch Russia play the more Yakupov reminds me of Afinogenov and Grigorenko of Viktor Kozlov. None of them will be a huge star in the world of hockey, IMO.
totally agree . Grigorenko looks really like Kozlov out there.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:38 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA View Post
totally agree . Grigorenko looks really like Kozlov out there.
Viktor Kozlov was a great RSL player, but after he went to NHL and they try to mold him into a power forward - that ruined him.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
well if you think he'll be as good as semin than be prepared to have your heart broken
I'm confident he'll be better.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
Viktor Kozlov was a great RSL player
No, he wasn't.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:42 PM
russianhockey

Video-Highlights of this match:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?p=56873519#post56873519

Old
12-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Tkachev, Sigarev (what's wrong with him?), Grigorenko are the back bone of this team on offense. Yakupov is an ego-maniac, Kucherov is a great scorer but very one dimensional, Kosov is limited, Kapustin is garbage (how does one take him over Zykov/Zlobin?) I am also hoping for some production from Shalunov and Nichushkin. Nichushkin, though, however tenacious, has one move (the one that resulted in a goal), but at least he can be useful in other aspects of the game. Ko-ko is looking lost next to iseenopartnersyakupov guy...
Told ya Zlobin would be missed. Good high IQ offensive player.

The coach is biased towards big, physical guys though.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:43 PM
cska78

Quote:
No, he wasn't.
mmm, u seen him play before NHL? or you just looked up the stats? Le me break it to you, that team was 4 lines deep, secondary assists weren't given untill a certain point in time, and later not generously (like the NHL), I saw him play and for his size he was amazing. But you clearly know better...

same for Antropov/Ponikarovskiy and to a lesser degree Nazarov - big size? got to bang, it's the nhl

Old
12-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
mmm, u seen him play before NHL? or you just looked up the stats? Le me break it to you, that team was 4 lines deep, secondary assists weren't given untill a certain point in time, and later not generously (like the NHL), I saw him play and for his size he was amazing. But you clearly know better...
Yes, I've seen Kozlov since he was a teenager. You don't get to make things up as you go along.

Viktor was never star-material. This is not to say that he developed perfectly, but he never had top-notch offensive skills.

I'm getting tired of this "player x went to NA and got ruined." It's easy for you to say and is backed up by no evidence whatsoever.

Quote:
same for Antropov/Ponikarovskiy and to a lesser degree Nazarov - big size? got to bang, it's the nhl
Yes, all of them big time stars. You're funny.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Nash

This game favored the US more as it was all speed and shots to the net. I was quite shocked that Russia didn't really impose their style of hockey out there. Where was the possession and East/West game? Was the US speed too much to allow Russia to set up? For most of the game it seemed both teams felt content to just trade chances all night. It was very scrambly hockey that was all havoc, like a swarm of bees buzzing around each net. Russia does have better skilled depth though, so I'm not surprised their third line made the difference in the game winner. Yakupov is trying to do way too much.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:51 PM
CSKA

Quote:
Viktor Kozlov was a great RSL player, but after he went to NHL and they try to mold him into a power forward - that ruined him.
i think Grigo has way more talent than Kozlov. Better skater with superb hands. But he lacks something , i dont know maybe hockey sense.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Yakupov is trying to do way too much.
I think it's nerves. Some people are already referring to him as egomaniac, but I think that's unfair.

Yakupov needs to relax and anticipate the game a bit better. Maybe get some tips from Kuznetsov, who can be really zen and patient. He let the game come to him at WJC and took advantage of chances.

One thing that's really hurting Yakupov and Russia in this tournament is their lack of a reliable quarterback. Naumenkov was going to be it, but he's hurt.

Now we're seeing Yakupov carry the puck and this is the wrong role for him.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA View Post
i think Grigo has way more talent than Kozlov. Better skater with superb hands. But he lacks something , i dont know maybe hockey sense.
What's the problem? Grigs looks good to me so far. And he's still an underager at this tournament.

Hockey sense is probably the least of his problems. He is sometimes a little soft.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Nash

Quote:
What's the problem? Grigs looks good to me so far. And he's still an underager at this tournament.

Hockey sense is probably the least of his problems. He is sometimes a little soft.
Hockey sense is not an issue at all. You don't pass through seams like he does without hockey sense. He is a little soft and lacks aggression and urgency in his game. For some reason I see him as a little bit like Spezza.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Nash

Quote:
I think it's nerves. Some people are already referring to him as egomaniac, but I think that's unfair.

Yakupov needs to relax and anticipate the game a bit better. Maybe get some tips from Kuznetsov, who can be really zen and patient. He let the game come to him at WJC and took advantage of chances.

One thing that's really hurting Yakupov and Russia in this tournament is their lack of a reliable quarterback. Naumenkov was going to be it, but he's hurt.

Now we're seeing Yakupov carry the puck and this is the wrong role for him.
He wants to go end to end, but he would be much better off with give and go hockey. He would be more effectively using his speed if someone was able to pass into open spaces in front of him. With his speed he should be able to regain those pucks and create chances. As he is playing right now, it is too easy for the opposition to target him and contain him as he is holding on to the puck too long.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:26 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
He wants to go end to end, but he would be much better off with give and go hockey. He would be more effectively using his speed if someone was able to pass into open spaces in front of him. With his speed he should be able to regain those pucks and create chances. As he is playing right now, it is too easy for the opposition to target him and contain him as he is holding on to the puck too long.
You know who he looks like right now? Maxim Afinogenov. All the speed in the world and lots of flash, but tries to take on 2 defenders by himself and gives the puck up. He needs to use his line mates more. The kid is a actually a very good passer, but doesn't use that aspect of his game enough.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:28 PM
MaxV

Passing wasn't an issue with Yakupov during last year's WJC.

He's not just a goal-scorer.

He is just trying too hard out there.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
You know who he looks like right now? Maxim Afinogenov. All the speed in the world and lots of flash, but tries to take on 2 defenders by himself and gives the puck up. He needs to use his line mates more. The kid is a actually a very good passer, but doesn't use that aspect of his game enough.
Yakupov is a proven scorer in ways Afinogenov never was.

Your point is still valid, but I just want to clarify that Yakupov is way better than Max.

Closed Thread