HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 28 • Russia 2, United States 1 • Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Fantomas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Passing wasn't an issue with Yakupov during last year's WJC.

He's not just a goal-scorer.

He is just trying too hard out there.
It was the same thing last year. Very similar. He piled up some assists and couldn't score and is doing the same thing now.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:38 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Passing wasn't an issue with Yakupov during last year's WJC.

He's not just a goal-scorer.

He is just trying too hard out there.
Yea Nail on head (excuse the pun)

I really think he is trying to do too much by himself right now.....he needs to settle down and relax a bit.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
You know who he looks like right now? Maxim Afinogenov. All the speed in the world and lots of flash, but tries to take on 2 defenders by himself and gives the puck up. He needs to use his line mates more. The kid is a actually a very good passer, but doesn't use that aspect of his game enough.
Yakupov is a proven scorer though and he can do everything at top speed. Afinogenov almost always looked like his feet were quicker than his hands.

And I have posted that as well before that his passing is very underrated...he just needs to utilize it more.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:42 PM
BarDownBobo
Play Bad For Ekblad

Quick take on what I saw/think about Yakupov this tournament. To me his line is just having an awful time finding chemistry. Yak is easily the premier player on the line, and is getting treated as such by opposing teams. Sigaryov and Khokhlachev just don't seem to be on the same page. I'd personally like to see Nichushkin moved up on the other wing, that'd take some pressure off of Yak, and if not then I think Nichushkin would be burning teams.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:46 PM
DJ Breadman

gally leads usa in points, is their best player and gets no respect or ice time...should of played for a different country

Old
12-28-2012, 03:48 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Quick take on what I saw/think about Yakupov this tournament. To me his line is just having an awful time finding chemistry. Yak is easily the premier player on the line, and is getting treated as such by opposing teams. Sigaryov and Khokhlachev just don't seem to be on the same page. I'd personally like to see Nichushkin moved up on the other wing, that'd take some pressure off of Yak, and if not then I think Nichushkin would be burning teams.
It's too bad that Yak and Grigs don't have chemistry because that could be a deadly combination. I guess it's the fact that both of those players need the puck on their sticks all the time to maximize their effectiveness.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Nash

Grimaldi and Gaudreau both played much better today, but Miller still did little out there. I'm confused as to why Housely has Miller as the first line center, not that I consider that line USA's first line anymore.

Trouba was great once again. Jones still has some jitters in his game.

USA controlled the tempo of this game. Russia would have been wise to slow it down and pass around the speedy Americans. Russia still doesn't look like a cohesive team.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
gally leads usa in points, is their best player and gets no respect or ice time...should of played for a different country
Trouba is the best player.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:55 PM
BarDownBobo
Play Bad For Ekblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
It's too bad that Yak and Grigs don't have chemistry because that could be a deadly combination. I guess it's the fact that both of those players need the puck on their sticks all the time to maximize their effectiveness.
Yeah I agree. But I mean if I'm the Russian coach, I'd maybe throw them together for today's game vs Germany, see what happens. They should blow them out, so I'd be juggling lines quite a bit to try and get someone to click with Yak. He's their best player, gotta get him going if they're gonna win the tourney.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:57 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
This game favored the US more as it was all speed and shots to the net. I was quite shocked that Russia didn't really impose their style of hockey out there. Where was the possession and East/West game? Was the US speed too much to allow Russia to set up? For most of the game it seemed both teams felt content to just trade chances all night. It was very scrambly hockey that was all havoc, like a swarm of bees buzzing around each net. Russia does have better skilled depth though, so I'm not surprised their third line made the difference in the game winner. Yakupov is trying to do way too much.
USA lost because they were not driving to the net, but dancing around the perimeter and taking low % shots. Grigs was about the only player willing to take it to the net and challenge the Russian D to stop him.

Russians were obviously much more skilled up front and took many more high% shots. The teams are close, but Russia deserved the win. USA had the territorial adv, but only came away with chest emblem shots, or easily gloved saves out of it. Russia had many more scoring chances IMO despite them not having the better zone advantage. US had many bad turnovers and misplays from their "supposedly" better D. USA PK settled down and played well. US PP was pretty tough to watch outside of 2 PPs.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:15 PM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
USA lost because they were not driving to the net, but dancing around the perimeter and taking low % shots. Grigs was about the only player willing to take it to the net and challenge the Russian D to stop him.

Russians were obviously much more skilled up front and took many more high% shots. The teams are close, but Russia deserved the win. USA had the territorial adv, but only came away with chest emblem shots, or easily gloved saves out of it. Russia had many more scoring chances IMO despite them not having the better zone advantage. US had many bad turnovers and misplays from their "supposedly" better D. USA PK settled down and played well. US PP was pretty tough to watch outside of 2 PPs.
Agreed, sums up how the US played today and how ineffective they were in their offensive zone.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Yeah I agree. But I mean if I'm the Russian coach, I'd maybe throw them together for today's game vs Germany, see what happens. They should blow them out, so I'd be juggling lines quite a bit to try and get someone to click with Yak. He's their best player, gotta get him going if they're gonna win the tourney.
I disagree. Yakupov had bad chemistry with his linemates because he was a puck hog. The blame lines with him. If he continues to play that way, it really doesn't matter who his linemates are.

As for pairing him with Grigorenko, it's not a particularly good idea. Grigorenko already has good chemistry with Kucherov, who plays RW on that line.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:43 PM
40oz

Thought Trochek looked fantastic, wouldnt mind seeing him get bumped back up with Galchenyuk or even take Millers spot.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Yakupov is a proven scorer in ways Afinogenov never was.

Your point is still valid, but I just want to clarify that Yakupov is way better than Max.
Yakupov has proven jack in order to make that statement.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:56 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

I'm really not impressed by Seth Jones. He's played two horrible games for the States, filled with turnovers and bad defensive decisions.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:59 PM
PATCHESx67

im sorry but im not impressed at all by the US coaching so far.Housley needs to realise hes first line aint working and needs to change things up.I know Galchenyuk is a Montreal prospect and the only reason why im following the states but hes still USA's best player and him being stuck playing 10min in a game when they're down by a goal makes no sense.What coach keeps rolling hes 4 lines wen they're team is down a goal in the 3rd period,and no offense to NYR fans but Miller has no right playing 1st line center.Give Alex one of Gaudreau or Grimaldi or make him the 2nd line Center so he can create some offense.

USA vs Canada on Sunday....big game and evendoh im from Montreal im a habs fan so ill be cheering for Galchenyuk GO USA GO !!

Old
12-28-2012, 05:00 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
I'm really not impressed by Seth Jones. He's played two horrible games for the States, filled with turnovers and bad defensive decisions.
Jones has all the tools to be a top Dman in the NHL,the only problem right now ,his hes trying too much by himself but hes still young and will learn with time and experience

Old
12-28-2012, 05:02 PM
AmericanDream
Wakey Wakey Davey!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post

I honestly dont agree with much of this. Russia hardly looked better upfront, though they had spurts of keeping the puck in the US zone at almost will a few times, outside of that they looked lost, confused, and simply did not impress at all.

The scoring chances really didnt favor Russia at all, infact I think the US really had some great chances in the 2nd period, but Markov stood on his head at brief times.

The US looked the better of the two teams for overall play. Neither team was great, but I must have seen a different game than you did. Gibson really wasnt tested much at all, and Russia for the better part of the game was always chasing the US for the puck. The US defense was very solid, and again only giving up 2 goals I simply cant see much beef you can give these guys at all.

The passing was not on as I would have liked, they didnt crash the net as much as I hoped, and their top 2 guns Galchenyuk and Miller didnt do much...yet they still only lost 2-1...this was a good team building game that team USA can build off of. They have positives to take from this game and negatives as well, but if these 2 teams played the same way against each other in the semi final round, cant see how the US doesnt beat Russia.

This is the same Russian team that had to squeak out an o.t win against Slovakia...they havent been impressive yet.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
What's with all the hyperbole?

Old
12-28-2012, 05:12 PM
AmericanDream
Wakey Wakey Davey!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Thought Trochek looked fantastic, wouldnt mind seeing him get bumped back up with Galchenyuk or even take Millers spot.
I was kind of shocked how little I saw the Lucia - Trocheck - Biggs line. I think that line if still together will be much much more needed against a more physical team like Canada. They had Trocheck playing with Galy in the pre tourney, surprised they switched him with Kuraly. If they move Trocheck up, I think it could really help out Galy as Trocheck is better suited to play with him imo...

With the loss of Noesen, I expected Trocheck to be the kid to step up and be that top 6 player needed...he still needs to do it, hopefully the coaches give him more opportunities to do so..

If I were Housley, and after watching all these games as well as pre games I would go with these lines...not perfect but its still an adjustment

Hartman - Trocheck - Galchenyuk - Hartman has looked excellent, give him more work

Barber - Miller - Gaudreau - split up Gaudreu and Grimaldi

Lucia - Grimaldi - Biggs - Grimaldi adds wheels to the big boys and can still grind it out

Pietila - Kuraly - Bardreau - speed and grit...Kuraly needs to get off the top line and focus on an energy role

Just my opinion and you can swap wings from left to right on some, but I would try to shake things up a bit and reward those playing well with more time and split up those that havent looked so hot.. Hopefully Housley didnt come from the Scott Gordon school of coaching where changing up lines is almost sacrilegious...

Old
12-28-2012, 05:13 PM
pokerface1

One thing I've liked about Yakupov early in the tournament is his effort on the the PK(not just talking about that last blocked shot, but both games in general).

General question- I know Kosov went to the dressing room in the 1st period, I don't remember seeing him on the ice in the 2nd- was he out there in the 2nd? I find him to be a very versatile player who was noticeable in the 3rd.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:16 PM
AmericanDream
Wakey Wakey Davey!!

how good would Erne and Kerdiles look on this US squad??? wish both were here...

Old
12-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Huffer

Fun game to watch.

Looks like it could be almost any teams tournament this year.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:32 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Fun game to watch.

Looks like it could be almost any teams tournament this year.
Lol not when you have unknown guy and EJ Hradek broadcasting the games, omfg.....I mean are they actually at the game or broadcasting it from New York on a tv, dreadful and so lackluster.

@AmericanDream: Those lines look great. Agreed that Kuraly needs to get off the first line and PP. He hasn't been bad at all, but we need help for Galchenyuk and he won't give that to him. I would switch Lucia with Barber, I think Lucia would be better with that duo and can use his shot more.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Miller was like night and day. Much, much better game for him today. Good to see.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Closed Thread