HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 28 • Russia 2, United States 1 • Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
gally leads usa in points, is their best player and gets no respect or ice time...should of played for a different country
He'd get respect if he played better. He had a relatively poor game today. What's wrong with criticizing him when he wasn't very good?

Old
12-28-2012, 05:46 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
What's with all the hyperbole?
I think the 2nd goal left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. He better watch it when they play Canada because they will try that same move to beat him to the outside.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:49 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I think the 2nd goal left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. He better watch it when they play Canada because they will try that same move to beat him to the outside.
The 2nd goal was more Rielly's fault than anybody on the ice. He let Nichushkin dangle past him in the neutral zone and then had a chance to tie up Tkachyov's stick. Failed on both.

I thought he was OK defensively today and both games offensively he has been awesome.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:53 PM
domon

Are yellow laces a thing in Russia or something?

Old
12-28-2012, 06:06 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He'd get respect if he played better. He had a relatively poor game today. What's wrong with criticizing him when he wasn't very good?
He wasn't great but I don't know why you put him on the wing and have his scrub line-mates attempt to gain the zone when he is clearly the best player on the team at establishing the zone.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Miller was like night and day. Much, much better game for him today. Good to see.
I still didn't think he played that good. He turns the puck over so ****ing much in the offensive zone it's nauseating.

He tries to stickhandle way too much sometimes also.

He's still physical and solid defensively, but he's so frustrating to watch on offense.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:19 PM
DeKeyser Soze

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Puck possession wins medals. See your nations hockey history prior to the point it stopped winning medals.

Unless Makarov stands on his head and/or Subban plays terribly the New Year's Eve game is going to be a repeat of the Canada Russia 2010 Olympic game.
Defense, discipline, counter attacks and of course good players win medals. Puck possession by itself don't mean ****. Only quality scoring chances do. Though you might get more penaltys with you if you dominate possession.

I was really impressed with this russian team. It looks well organised and efficient. Nothing like the Bykov coached teams.

It is almost always the goalie of the team that traps and plays a collapsing defense that "stands on his head". Look at Halak in Montreal's CF-run for example.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:21 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Miller was like night and day. Much, much better game for him today. Good to see.
Miller played MUCH MUCH better today.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Yakupov has proven jack in order to make that statement.
I'm comparing the two players at the same respective ages. Meaning, Yakupov at 19 and Afinogenov at 19.

Based on the information we have it is possible to make a projection. And this is what we do on this board - we make projections.

Afinogenov was never exactly an overachiever, so it is reasonable to expect a much more talented player like Yakupov to have a better career.

If you have something constructive to say then please say it.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:29 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
I'm really not impressed by Seth Jones. He's played two horrible games for the States, filled with turnovers and bad defensive decisions.
He's still a very young player playing (learning) the most difficult position. All this at junior hockey's highest level on bigger ice than he is used to.

He's a very good player and will prove it.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:30 PM
PaperRockChamp

Galchenyuk's play was an eye opener during the prelims.. Was looking forward to watching him today, but he pooped the bed. Instincts tell me he is nursing an injury?

Old
12-28-2012, 06:31 PM
bigbadbruins7

hey i only saw the first few moments of the game today. i read over the last few pages and it is mostly about individual talk. could anyone sum up the game quick for me in a more of a how USA looked and how russia looked? was it even? did one team look better. thanks in advance

Old
12-28-2012, 06:32 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
im sorry but im not impressed at all by the US coaching so far.Housley needs to realise hes first line aint working and needs to change things up.I know Galchenyuk is a Montreal prospect and the only reason why im following the states but hes still USA's best player and him being stuck playing 10min in a game when they're down by a goal makes no sense.What coach keeps rolling hes 4 lines wen they're team is down a goal in the 3rd period,and no offense to NYR fans but Miller has no right playing 1st line center.Give Alex one of Gaudreau or Grimaldi or make him the 2nd line Center so he can create some offense.

USA vs Canada on Sunday....big game and evendoh im from Montreal im a habs fan so ill be cheering for Galchenyuk GO USA GO !!
West Island ! You can't be a separatist can you? How bout you hope your Habs prospect play well but you still cheer for Canada.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
He's still a very young player playing (learning) the most difficult position. All this at junior hockey's highest level on bigger ice than he is used to.

He's a very good player and will prove it.
We probably shouldn't be making any more excuses for Jones than we are for Grigorenko. After all, they are about the same age.

At 17, Grigorenko was heavily criticized for his WJC's last year and later for the playoffs.

Jones should be fair game for some tough words whenever needed. He's 18, he is draft-eligible and under the microscope. He is not a double-underager. He should be one of the best players on his team.

I expect him to rebound and do well the rest of the tournament, of course.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:57 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
West Island ! You can't be a separatist can you? How bout you hope your Habs prospect play well but you still cheer for Canada.
my country comes after my team worst case scenario is galchenyuk scores a hat trick but canada wins 4-3 win win

Old
12-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
hey i only saw the first few moments of the game today. i read over the last few pages and it is mostly about individual talk. could anyone sum up the game quick for me in a more of a how USA looked and how russia looked? was it even? did one team look better. thanks in advance
It's nearly 5am here so excuse me if I make little sense

It was one of those games where both teams could have scored 5 goals but both goaltenders game up big when asked of. It was a fast paced game, first two periods the USA controlled the game with Russia sitting back hoping to create chances on the rush. The USA had 4 excellent opportunities but Makarov came up big (A few big saves in the first and second), Gibson also made some big saves at 0-1 and at 1-2. In the third period Russia looked the better team and managed to impose themselves more. Overall the USA was the better team, in terms of scoring chances I feel the USA edged it but what hurt them was poor passing at critical moments and a fair chunk of their shots (42-30) was low %, I felt if they were more patient at times they could have created more scoring chances. This USA team is very good and I feel the best is still to come from both teams.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
We probably shouldn't be making any more excuses for Jones than we are for Grigorenko. After all, they are about the same age.

At 17, Grigorenko was heavily criticized for his WJC's last year and later for the playoffs.

Jones should be fair game for some tough words whenever needed. He's 18, he is draft-eligible and under the microscope. He is not a double-underager. He should be one of the best players on his team.

Grigorenko wasn't really critiqued for his wjc because he got an injury early in the tournament and everyone knew it.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Bobby G

Quote:
I am sold on Nichushkin. Sold.
Ya. What a talent. Seth Jones looked awesome as well

Yakupov and Galchenyuk both had fairly poor games by their standards. Although it seemed like Galchenyuk got very little ice time

Old
12-28-2012, 07:11 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
It's nearly 5am here so excuse me if I make little sense

It was one of those games where both teams could have scored 5 goals but both goaltenders game up big when asked of. It was a fast paced game, first two periods the USA controlled the game with Russia sitting back hoping to create chances on the rush. The USA had 4 excellent opportunities but Makarov came up big (A few big saves in the first and second), Gibson also made some big saves at 0-1 and at 1-2. In the third period Russia looked the better team and managed to impose themselves more. Overall the USA was the better team, in terms of scoring chances I feel the USA edged it but what hurt them was poor passing at critical moments and a fair chunk of their shots (42-30) was low %, I felt if they were more patient at times they could have created more scoring chances. This USA team is very good and I feel the best is still to come from both teams.
thanks alot. thats encouraging to hear as a USA fan. however, i am rooting hard for koko(bruins prospect) and grigs(one of my favorite prospects) to do well. thanks for the explanation

Old
12-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

Looking forward to the Can-Am game Sunday morning, the Can-Russia game on Monday!!!!

It will be 2 tough games, back to back for my Canadians!

Old
12-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

You know, for those saying Gally had a poor game... he had a few good chances to score and ended up with an assist, which is better than 90% of the rest of team USA. If he had a poor game, I hate to think what kind of game their "first line" had.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Gustavo Fring
Analytics R4 nerds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Richard View Post
Looking forward to the Can-Am game Sunday morning, the Can-Russia game on Monday!!!!

It will be 2 tough games, back to back for my Canadians!
Me too. So glad I am off both days.

Old
12-28-2012, 08:31 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:

Haven't you heard, Grigerenko is actually 27.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Kap-the-Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA View Post
i think Grigo has way more talent than Kozlov. Better skater with superb hands. But he lacks something , i dont know maybe hockey sense.
You do know that Kozlov was drafted 6th overall, and at the time labelled a Russian Lemieux, right?

Old
12-28-2012, 09:23 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
i thought gibson should've been player of the game for the usa, but it's no big deal. americans had zero puck luck today and still played it close with one of the tournament favorites. i'll take this loss as a positive going forward.

Closed Thread