HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Xbox 360 - Be a GM NHL 13 Sim League - Thread #5 - OPEN SPOTS LOOKING FOR GMS!

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Deku Scrub
Stay Strong Murray

vCash: 3900
Mini-rebuild time! I'm looking to trade all my old guys... time to give my team a new identity. Looking for younger players and maybe draft picks.

Available
Brad Boyes (82 overall RW, 35 years old)
Alexander Semin (82 overall LW, 33 years old)
Eric Staal (87 overall center, 32 years old)
David Desharnais (79 overall center, 30 years old)
Tim Gleason (83 overall defenseman, 34 years old)
Cam Ward (88 overall goalie, 33 years old) I will only trade Ward if I get a good goalie prospect in another trade or in exchange for Ward.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:09 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

vCash: 500
^Good luck with that. Nobody ever wants anyone over 28.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Deku Scrub
Stay Strong Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
^Good luck with that. Nobody ever wants anyone over 28.
How dare you crush my dreams. I'm coming for you.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

There's a difference between players over 28 and old geezers.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:41 PM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
Who are the players?
Two defensemen.

Schultz (83)
Ekholm (82)

I keep having defensemen grow exponentially each year.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:08 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
Two defensemen.

Schultz (83)
Ekholm (82)

I keep having defensemen grow exponentially each year.
I am very willing, send me an offer. I need some depth at D.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:38 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Depending on who signs with me and who doesn't, I could be interested in Eric Staal or Cam Ward

Old
02-01-2013, 01:21 PM
moz
Gute Post

After 5 years or so, I'd be interested to see people post a bit of a summary of their team, whether they've fallen below/met/succeeded expectations, which fan favorites have retired, which youngsters have emerged as part of a leadership core etc. I'll post mine later tonight when I'm not on an iPad.

I also wonder if we can quantify most successful/most underperforming team so far? The one that springs to mind as most successful is is Carolina or Winnipeg just because, if memory serves, they've always made the playoffs and have won a Cup or two. San Jose's in a similar boat and dd it with a bot GM for half the seasons. obviously some teams have been stocking up for the next five year stretch.

Last edited by moz: 02-01-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 01:27 PM
moz
Gute Post

I think the award screen is broken, it says DPietro won the Hart this year?!?

Old
02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Buffalo:

1st season (Conference Finals loss to Tampa):

I dunno what happened the first season but I didn't have Gerbe, Vanek, Regehr or Ehrhoff when I took over in the offseason. This team made it to the third round of the playoffs behind leading scorer Luke Adam somehow. The former GM acquired Toffoli who is now currently an 86 overall 7.5M winger. Yay!

2nd season (Out of Playoffs):

The team sucked so I sold a bunch of players like Miller and Pomminville. Klimchuk was the main acquisition, he is an 86 overall who can't stay healthy and doesn't show up for the playoffs but is still only 22.

3rd season (1st round loss to Florida):

Loaded up a bit for a playoff run behind the great play of rookie Klimchuk but met my demise to Markstrom/Huberdeau/Alfie and the Panthers in round one.

4th season (Out of Playoffs):

Injuries were the story of this season. Not very memorable. I picked up Bachman to batle Enroth for the starting spot.

5th season (1st round loss to Boston):

Damn you Waffler. I dealt Enroth to Edmonton for Nick Schultz, picked up Zetterberg from Detroit for a couple of 79-80s and loaded my team with no player lower than an 80. I lost my starting goalie Bachman for 10 games with 5 games to go in the regular season and lost my first round series in 5 games.

With Toffoli jumping up to 86, Pysyk (sp?) jumping up to 84, and Klimchuk finally gaining some poise, I hope to make one more run before Myers demands 12 million a season and Zetterberg retires.

Considering the talent Buffalo starts with (best goalie in the league, top 10 defender, solid depth), I would say Buffalo....

Underperformed!

Last edited by Indy on the Road: 02-01-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137

1st season: Firesale, only 2 current leafers survived, eventually traded. Tank, finished last by quite a bit. 1st overall pick Ryan Pulock has yet to make the NHL.

Traded Kessel, Phaneuf and Connolly for Couturier, Briere, Luke Schenn, 1st round pick 2014, 1st round pick 2015 , 2md round pick.

I eventually signed Phaneuf in free agency, Phaneuf won the Norris. Eventually traded Phaneuf for a 1st and 4 star DFD.
I used Briere to swap Kadri for Burmistrov(85overall, 5 more years at 3.2mil).
Schenn was traded for a 1st as a rental.
Couturier was traded for Gaborik. I traded Gaborik + spare part for Tavares(90 overall #1 center)
Both 1st's ended up being lottery picks(2nd and 4th i think)

Traded JVR + Gardiner for Ovechkin. Ovechkin won 3 Art Ross's, 4 Richards, and had a 120 point seaosn.

2nd season: Made it huge in free agency, signing current starter Steve Mason, 2nd liner center Anisimov (traded away 2 seasons later), a bunch of prospects, #1 dman Edler. Current 3rd liner Schroeder, 3rd pair Josi and 2nd pair Tuebert.

I made the playoff but got swept in the first round by Montreal.

Season 3: Signed Phaneuf. Traded for Tavares. Make the playoffs even though i retooled by trading Schenn and Anisimov for prospects. Got revenge on Montreal but lost in the 2nd round.

Season 4: Suck, miss playoffs.

Hard to remember all the details.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Joider

1st season: Made some trades for J. Carter from the kings. Didn't make the playoffs.

2nd season: Made a trade and got Kadri and Briere for Burmistrov. Made the playoffs and lost in the first round.

3rd season: Not much happened and I don't exactly remember if I made the playoffs and if I did what round I got to.

4th season: Made the playoffs and won the cup! No trades though.

5th season: Again made the playoffs and won the cup! And again no trades.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

1st Season: Notable moves involved signing Nikolai Zherdev, trading Versteeg for Derek Roy. Gudbranson would also be traded to Washington for Ben Smith and Washington's 1st Round pick (Erne). The Panthers also make a big splash to bolster their right wing depth by signing Daniel Alfredsson.

2nd Season: Breakout season for the Panthers. Huberdeau bursts onto the scene to capture the Calder, backstopped by Jose Theodore and his understudy Jakob Markstrom, the Panthers finished first in the east, but get eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by the Capitals.

3rd Season: Alfredsson returns. Jakob Markstrom becomes the No. 1 goalie. After a slow start, the Panthers finish the season strong despite Huberdeau only playing 16 games due to injury. Securing the 4th place position in the Eastern Conference (2nd overall in the East in points), the Panthers dispose of Buffalo in the first round, but are eliminated by the lower seeded Jets. The #Winit4Alfie campaign ends in failure and he retires at the end of the season. Markstrom 's strong season secures him the Calder trophy making it the second season in the row a Panthers player has captured the top rookie trophy.

4th Season: The Panthers sign Radim Vrbata to replace Alfredsson. He gains instant chemistry with Johnathan Huberdeau and they light up the NHL with the league's best powerplay. Markstrom has a season that goes down in history posting a save percentage greater than .950 and a GAA of 1.51. He captures the his second Calder (), the Vezina, the Jennings, the Hart, and the Lindsay trophies. Huberdeau finishes 4th in NHL scoring despite missing around a dozen games and captures the Lady Byng. The Panthers make significant moves to toughen up the blueline, first trading Winnipeg's 1st and 3rd Round picks to the Leafs for Luke Schenn and Carson McMillan and then trading for Matt Greene in a three way trade with Buffalo and Dallas. The Panthers manage to capture the President's trophy, but are eliminated in the first round by the Washington Capitals. Brian Campbell retires at the end of the season.

5th Season: Without Brian Campbell, the Panthers' powerplay goes from a league best 22% to a league worst 13%. The Panthers manage to capture the fourth spot in the east (2nd overall in the NHL) despite every player posting disappointing numbers. They defeat the Carolina Hurricanes in the first round, but lose again to Winnipeg in the second round.

Verdict: Playoff chokers.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:36 PM
moz
Gute Post

I can't really remember individual seasons or the timing of moves, so I'll just do a group summary.

Dallas' first big move out of the gate was to swap Derek Roy, Brenden Morrow, Alex Goligoski, and Jamie Oleksiak for Eric Johnson and David Jones. Johnson, despite only improving to 87 overall, has been a stud at the backend, scoring a consistent 40-50 points and in yearly Norris contention, including winning it in the second year.

I resisted offers to move out Philip Larsen and Jack Campbell early on. Larsen is now 87 overall and was a point per game in the most recent playoffs, while Campbell is finally ready to take the reins from Kari Lehtonen.

Dallas is a team built on nothing. The GM is too lazy to set draft priority, is too principled to make $13 million/year offers to free agents, and lacks the ingenuity or chutzpah to make aggressive trades.

The most notable free agent signing was probably Josh Bailey, who grew from 78 to a servicable 84-over second line centre, and Justin Faulk, a young low-80s defenseman. Nik Antropov early on, and Magnus Paajarvi a year or so ago have made nice contributions. I used to sign one-season stopgaps like Milan Hejduk or Alexander Frolov, but have since tried to give young'uns a shot at the bottom six spots, even if they have low ratings, and it hasn't negatively affected team performance.

On the trade front, nothing much has been done, though there are some big deals in the works for the upcoming offseason. Aside from the Johnson trade, Dallas spent its early seasons taking on cap problems from other teams, like Wade Redden and Marc Savard (both of whom retired on my watch - Dallas, the Ft. Lauderdale of Texas). Mikhail Grabovski was acquired years ago for a 2nd from Toronto and remains with the team. I can't really remember any other trades. There was a big package deal with Calgary that sent out Mark Fistric and brought in some 80ish-bodies. Matt Greene was brought in for contract holdout Richard Bachman and later shipped out for a 4th, and you just wasted 4 seconds of your life reading that sentence.

The draft has not been kind to Dallas. Joe Hart is the only four star prospect drafted by my regime. I can't name anyone else and they're all 42 overall so who cares. Regardless, I have built around the core that existed upon my arrival - Jamie Benn, Loui Eriksson, Philip Larsen and Kari Lehtonen have performed admirably and mostly resisted injury. Players like Scott Glennie and Jordie Benn still collect an NHL paycheck because I'm a kind soul. I haven't had any heartbreaking retirements - I felt like Redden and Savard had more years in them, but alas. Prospect development has been painfully slow, and only now, 5 years in, are players NHL-worthy. Radek Faksa is poised for a solid 13-point rookie campaign, while Jrykki Jokpikkikikaikakkakaa is 86 overall and taking his talents to South Beach.

Dallas has been a perennial playoff team, but inconsistent. In years where the Stars finish at the top of the conference, they disappoint, losing in the first or second round. In years where they just sneak in, they surprise, such as upsetting the President's Trophy-winning Red Wings in the first year. Dallas has yet to make a Stanley Cup final, but I feel given the middling roster and trigger-shy GM they've done about as well as can be expected.

Last edited by moz: 02-01-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old
02-01-2013, 11:41 PM
moz
Gute Post

I feel like we failed collectively as a league in denying Alfie a Stanley Cup.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:54 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Don't want to make a long thing.

season 1 and 2 - made very minimal changes missed the playoffs both times. Injury bug hit like the plague in both season. Drafted Monahan in the 1st year, Drafted Kadri in the 2nd year both in the 1st round. Kadri sucks.

season 3 - Made a big splash. Aquired Perry, Kane, Cammalleri, Pitkenen, Shipped out Horton, Bergeron, Seidenberg as well as many others and my 1st round picks for the next 3 years. Missed the playoffs. Again injuries played a big factor.

season 4 - Signed a lot of depth guys. Only real notable ones are Cam Barker, Eric Tangradi, Dale Weise and Mark Stone. Made the playoffs for the first time in my tenure. Finished 4th in the league and went all the way to the Eastern Finals, but lost there to Winnipeg.

season 5 - Only notable change was that Chara retired. So I signed Brent Seabrook. Had a horrible start to the season. But went red hot towards the end and finished in 7th. Demolished Buffalo in the 1st round but lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs to Winnipeg again, I think.

Overall, in the end I like how my team is looking. Those first few seasons were stupidly bad with a ridiculous amount of injuries to a lot of main guys. I didn't think I would have to retool a team like Boston like that. But I went through a major overhaul, there are really only 3-4 guys on the team now that were there when I took over.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Deku Scrub
Stay Strong Murray

I don't remember well enough to write an in-depth recap of my team.
All I remember is that we made the playoffs and lost in the first round every year except for year three, when we won the cup. I've made a lot of trades since we started.

Trade summary:

In: Christian Erhoff (gone), JM Liles (gone), TJ Oshie (gone), Kevin Shattenkirk, Phil Kessel, Andrej Meszaros, Brad Boyes, Mikael Granlund, Eric Wellwood, Charlie Coyle, John Westin

Out: Jussi Jokinen, Tuomo Ruutu, Jeff Skinner, Joni Pitkanen, Jamie McBain, Jiri Tlustly (released to FA I think), prospects & picks

Something like that. That's all the notable trades that I can remember anyway. I don't remember making any big free agent signings and I haven't drafted any notable prospects.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:12 AM
chrewilson

Season 1: From what I remember my plan was to rebuild/retool, however my team got off to a great start and finished 3rd in the west. Losing in the first round of the playoffs. Noteable trades: Bouwmeester to St. Louis for Patrik Berglund and 2014 1st Rd Pick(no idea who that was), Cammalleri went to the Islanders - main piece coming back was Joensuu, Tanguay went to the Devils, can't remember what came back. Also got Zajac from the Devils in a different trade, Backlund was the main piece that went to NJ.

Season 2: Finished 3rd in the West - went to the stanley cup finals, lost to NYR.

Haven't made the playoffs since, have officially started a rebuild. Nothing notable has happened since Season 2 for Calgary, we are irrelevant again!

Old
02-04-2013, 09:18 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50

Season 1: Pushed for the cup, won the president trophy and got swept round 1.

Season 2: Pushed for the cup, lost in round 2 of playoffs

Season 3: Don't really remember.

Season 4: Lost Datsyuk and attempted to start rebuilding..missed playoffs and drafted in the top 5. Got Nawrocki who was 19 years old 81 overall or something like that.

Season 5: Traded out Zetterberg and Pommy, went with a pretty young team. Lost round 1 of playoffs.

02-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Are we into the UFA period yet?

Old
02-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Senators Fan View Post
Are we into the UFA period yet?
Soon. Forgot to sim last night.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:29 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Im still looking to move Rinne. Hes 34, but still 89 overall which is a top 3 goalie in the league.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Any open spots?

Old
02-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Any open spots?
A bunch.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

The Florida Panthers are still looking to move LW Tomas Fleischmann. Asking price is quite low.

Closed Thread