HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Nyquist vs. Silfverberg

View Poll Results: Nyquist or Silfverberg
Nyquist 18 32.73%
Silfverberg 30 54.55%
Too Close to Call 7 12.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Wingsfan2965*

vCash: 500
Nyquist vs. Silfverberg

I found this tweet interesting:

nucklehead ‏@nucklehead44
@coreypronman are Nyquist and Silfverberg pretty much a coin flip?

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman
No. Nyquist is better.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but I think it presents a good topic. Feel free to make your projections on one or both.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Qrispy

Pronman is known to overrate Detroit prospects but, that being said, I still like Nyquist a wee bit more.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:39 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

It's close but I think Nyquist has a higher upside (no-homer )

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Pronman is known to overrate Detroit prospects but, that being said, I still like Nyquist a wee bit more.
Yeah he seems to like them a lot. Any guess on how good both of them end up being?

Old
12-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

I can't really vote since I haven't seen Nyquist play ever. But I'll try to give a description of Silfverberg's game to those who haven't seen him play yet.

He's a solid two-way player. He plays strong defensively, but won't throw his body around. His concern has been his first steps. His acceleration has been poor. It's still not the best, but he has improved it. He has a nice top speed. His best asset is definitely his shot. Whether it's a wrist shot, snap shot, slap shot or a one-timer, that's definitely his best asset. His release is amazing. If you look at some of his goals, his shot is hard and accurate and he can get it off quick. He also has good vision. Not spectacular, but it's pretty good. He's not afraid to get to the front of the net. His hand-eye is good and he has some nasty tip-ins.

His year in the AHL so far has been good for a rookie. It took him a good ten games to get going on the North American sized ice, however, the entire Binghamton Senators had a tough time getting going to start the year. He has 13 goals and 25 points in 27 games as a rookie, so he's impressed Sens fans a lot so far.

I see him coming close to his potential playing with Spezza. I have him around 30 goals and 25-30 assists in his prime. I'm pretty excited about him as a prospect. I'd love to hear what Wings fans have to say about Nyquist. Strictly going off memory, I think I remember him doing well in the AHL last year and getting a call up and doing pretty good for a rookie.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Sureves

Never seen Nyquist play and have only seen Silfverberg a handful of times (though I've read a lot) so I really can't say.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:36 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
I can't really vote since I haven't seen Nyquist play ever. But I'll try to give a description of Silfverberg's game to those who haven't seen him play yet.

He's a solid two-way player. He plays strong defensively, but won't throw his body around. His concern has been his first steps. His acceleration has been poor. It's still not the best, but he has improved it. He has a nice top speed. His best asset is definitely his shot. Whether it's a wrist shot, snap shot, slap shot or a one-timer, that's definitely his best asset. His release is amazing. If you look at some of his goals, his shot is hard and accurate and he can get it off quick. He also has good vision. Not spectacular, but it's pretty good. He's not afraid to get to the front of the net. His hand-eye is good and he has some nasty tip-ins.

His year in the AHL so far has been good for a rookie. It took him a good ten games to get going on the North American sized ice, however, the entire Binghamton Senators had a tough time getting going to start the year. He has 13 goals and 25 points in 27 games as a rookie, so he's impressed Sens fans a lot so far.

I see him coming close to his potential playing with Spezza. I have him around 30 goals and 25-30 assists in his prime. I'm pretty excited about him as a prospect. I'd love to hear what Wings fans have to say about Nyquist. Strictly going off memory, I think I remember him doing well in the AHL last year and getting a call up and doing pretty good for a rookie.
Nyquist is more of a playmaker. He's really solid defensively and is a great skater. He'll probably be good for 20-25 and 40-45 a year; similar to Filppula. I think he has the potential to be better but that's the safest bet regarding his future.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Milan, he's pretty much you're typical Wing. His stint was great last year, he got to spend some time on the first line with Datsyuk and Franzen, but it didn't stick against the more physical teams because he was so light that he'd get thrown of the puck. I believe he's gained 10-15 pounds since the season ended and have read that he's much stronger on the puck.

When I watched him it stuck out to me that he's very good at generating scoring chances. I specifically remember one of the Nashville games where Detroit couldn't do anything offensively. In the third period they brought him up from the fourth line to play with Datsyuk and Franzen and they got multiple scoring chances after the change was made (Unfortunately nothing came of it)

Like I said, he's the typical Red Wing draftee. Small, but good with his hands and plays a great two way game.

I'd say he could go anywhere from Filppula-lite to Datsyuk-lite. I think he's better now than Filppula was at 23, but as with any player, there's no telling how he'll develop in the future. Based on what I've seen I'd expect a bare-minimum of a 40-50 point player, but it's really hard to say where he'll go. He could only be the 40-50 point guy, but based on the raw skill I've seen from him, I could see him peaking at somewhere around the 75 point mark. Maybe that's just my bias.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Jurky
Put me on the PP FFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post

Nyquist is a small speedy winger, plays a solid 2-way game. Not afraid to get into the corners and get his hands dirty. Isn't a big guy but, like Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Filppulla, he knows how to utilize his body to get/keep the puck. Good skater, great vision and hockey sense, and a good passer.
His weakness is his shot, he is reluctant to let it go, its not terrible but it's not great. Apparently though he's been working on his shot this offseason and it is beginning to show this season in Grand Rapids.
Like Wingsfan said he is basically a typical Red Wing
I see him as a Val Filppulla 2.0, maybe better.

Last edited by Jurky: 12-30-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Benny FTW
C===Benny

Whats the actual question of this poll?

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Jurky
Put me on the PP FFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
First time I read this I omitted the word "but". I was thinking to myself, "Zetterberg and Datsyuk are big?"
My bad, that sentence probably could have used some more punctuation.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimuspaul View Post
My bad, that sentence probably could have used some more punctuation.
Not at all, I omitted an entire word.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:44 PM
WingsMike
Registered Man

Wingsfan, I did the exact same haha.

WingsMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:59 PM
ATdaisuki
invisible

luke richardson, binghamton senators head coach, talking about silfverberg. obviously in an interview he's going to be pumping the guy up, so he doesn't really mention negatives. it's all the way at the bottom of the page
http://www.the6thsens.com/2012-artic...eep-it-up.html

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:50 AM
tony d
Ours for next 7 yrs.

Close but Silfverberg

12-30-2012, 09:50 AM
InjuredChoker

Voted too close to call. Silf has been awesome for the past year or so.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Better now or future?

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:32 AM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
Better now or future?
Since they're prospects I'm assuming he means future.

Old
12-30-2012, 04:56 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Nyquist offensively

Silfverberg overall

Maybe? I dunno. They're fairly close.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 05:00 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

I've watched both. Silfverberg. I'm really surprised Corey said that.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote