HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Realistically....How many teams should be in the NHL?

Old
12-29-2012, 08:29 PM
leesmith
Still in.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Party View Post
Has this board always had it in for the Preds? SMH.
Columbus fan here feels your pain.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:32 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
32, see if you can stabilize things in Phoenix (have KC, Houston, Hamilton/Toronto 2 as fallback options if that doesn't work), place expansion franchises in Seattle and Quebec.
There you go. One of the few logical posts I've seen in this thread. I think the NHL should follow MLS's lead and move Phoenix to Portland if they can't make it work there. Set up that Portland - Seattle - Vancouver thing.

Old
12-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

What's wrong with the league how it is? 21-24 teams means that teams 20+ games under .500 make the playoffs. Talk about watered down product all you want but during that time in the 80's only like 5 teams had a chance to win it all. Now the playoffs are exciting in the 1st round not just the conference finals. All 16 teams have a legit shot at the cup. Dream all you want contraction is not going to happen and the league is not going to abandon the southern US teams or fans.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:50 PM
MoreOrr
B4

One way to analyze this is to take it purely by nations first...
How many (and which) cities in the US could support an NFL team?
How many (and which) cities in the US could support a MLB team?
How many (and which) cities in the US could support an NBA team?
And how many (and which) cities in the US could support an NHL team?

Now mix in the other major league(s) competition factor...
How many US cities remain that could support an NHL team?

Once you've got that number established, now add in: How many Canadian cities could support an NHL team?

Realistically, if you're saying 32, 30, 28, 24, then I suspect you're choosing the number first and then fitting in cities to meet that number.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 08:56 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
What on Earth gives you that idea? There is no Conspiracy of Hockey Elitism in Canada beyond a very few & very vocal minority, who I would hazard to guess represent less than about 2% of the fan base up here. Indeed, the South & Canada share much in common culturally, economically, politically. Normally very Quiet Solitudes.
You've said this twice, the first time I let it go. Are you from the south or have you spent any time in Canada ? Because I qualify on both accounts and I can assure you that this was not at all my perception or my experience. Culturally and politically, the two could not be further separated.

I don't think that you can define what a Canadian is culturally, economically or politically in order to make this comparison.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:06 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
One way to analyze this is to take it purely by nations first...
How many (and which) cities in the US could support an NFL team?
How many (and which) cities in the US could support a MLB team?
How many (and which) cities in the US could support an NBA team?
And how many (and which) cities in the US could support an NHL team?

Now mix in the other major league(s) competition factor...
How many US cities remain that could support an NHL team?

Once you've got that number established, now add in: How many Canadian cities could support an NHL team?

Realistically, if you're saying 32, 30, 28, 24, then I suspect you're choosing the number first and then fitting in cities to meet that number.
I'm not certain what you're getting at here.
Professional sports support is less about the fan bases than it is about the corporate support. With that in mind, your comment about major league competition definitely is a factor.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:11 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I'm not certain what you're getting at here.
Professional sports support is less about the fan bases than it is about the corporate support. With that in mind, your comment about major league competition definitely is a factor.
Well, if you look closely, I didn't exactly mention "fanbases".

Old
12-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Party View Post
Has this board always had it in for the Preds? SMH.
YES YES YES

Pretty much ever since Baldy tried to move them to Hamilton 90 percent of Canadians have believed the garbage they read and hear about us from the media there who wanted us removed from the league and no matter what we do it's never good enough we sell out 97 percent of the building then we gave out 15550 free tickets or they were cheap. Most of the haters have never watched the team and certainly have never been here.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
You've said this twice, the first time I let it go. Are you from the south or have you spent any time in Canada ? Because I qualify on both accounts and I can assure you that this was not at all my perception or my experience.
No idea what your even talking about. How my own personal biography, biases or whatever would play into the conversation, creation & development of such opinions. Dont know where you lived/worked/experienced the South, but ya, I can tell you in no uncertain terms that theres very little difference between a boy from Tennessee and a boy from Toronto. Ive lived & worked extensively throughout the "South" & Southwest over the past 35yrs. These are my perceptions; but one Canadian's perspective. You can take it with a jigger of salt or light the house on fire. Your choice.... as for the "let it go" bit? Excuse me? Are you now Moderating Sandy?

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
What on Earth gives you that idea? There is no Conspiracy of Hockey Elitism in Canada beyond a very few & very vocal minority, who I would hazard to guess represent less than about 2% of the fan base up here. Indeed, the South & Canada share much in common culturally, economically, politically. Normally very Quiet Solitudes.
^^^^^ That 2% is alive and well in post #175 above.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
No idea what your even talking about. How my own personal biography, biases or whatever would play into the conversation, creation & development of such opinions. Dont know where you lived/worked/experienced the South, but ya, I can tell you in no uncertain terms that theres very little difference between a boy from Tennessee and a boy from Toronto. Ive lived & worked extensively throughout the "South" & Southwest over the past 35yrs. These are my perceptions; but one Canadian's perspective. You can take it with a jigger of salt or light the house on fire. Your choice.... as for the "let it go" bit? Excuse me? Are you now Moderating Sandy?
How's the whether up there in BC Killion? Nothing like Toronto eh?

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:31 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Well, if you look closely, I didn't exactly mention "fanbases".
So are you talking about the "cities" politically? The corporations? Or all of the above? How many teams do you think the league should have?
I'm a bit confused because you and I agree way more often than we disagree.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

FYI for anyone that cares it' s snowing in Nashville Tennessee right now

Old
12-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Boltsfan, I'd like to think that I have sort of an understanding of both sides. Being Canadian, I certainly do understand the mentality that if... 'in that part of the continent it doesn't have "winter conditions", virtually never natural ice and snow, then how is it that "they" (the fans there) can have the same appreciation, or any real appreciation at all about what it is to really enjoy the sport of hockey.'...
I'm a Florida native. Never lived anywhere else. Fell in love with hockey when I first saw it on TV - I believe Phil Esposito was still with the Bruins at the time - used to watch weekly games on TV with my dad when I was a kid (and he was from Texas - we just love sports). Loved Derek Sanderson. I watched the NHL when I could find it on TV and have always, always been glued to the tube for Olympic hockey. Have had season tickets for 17 years for the Lightning. I've traveled to Sunrise, Atlanta, Raleigh, Pittsburgh, D.C. and Calgary to attend road games. I don't see where the lack of snow on the ground (it does snow here occasionally, but melts rather quickly) has caused me to have less appreciation of the sport. I think I must enjoy it a great deal if I spend all that money on season tickets & to travel to away games.

Quote:
That's my perspective. I hope you don't take offense to any part of it. And if you disagree with part of it, then by all means feel free to set me straight.
I don't take offense to much unless it's offensively presented. Which you did not do. I enjoy a mature, intelligent discussion.

Quote:
Now this is the final part in which you can attack me... I do however have trouble with the idea of hockey teams in Florida, or anywhere along the Gulf of Mexico, or long the Mexican border. Even for me, I think there's a limit. But hey, that's my personal mentality; I don't run the NHL.
I don't attack people, either. As I said, we're used to this mentality down here, but that doesn't mean it makes any sense to us. I could see all of this as an extremely valid argument if the games were played outdoors. However, we have a beautiful arena, and we've progressed down here in the south to the point where we've discovered the joys of a thing called air conditioning. We have top notch equipment to keep the ice in good shape. And we get to wear shorts and flip-flops to the games if we so choose.

I think those who believe we have no business having a hockey team because of the weather here are just, well, a wee bit jealous. Since the players voted us as the 5th highest team they'd prefer to play for if they had a choice, they apparently don't have a problem with it, maybe the fans should give us a chance.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:37 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
And we've got 8 inches on the ground in Columbus.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
^^^^^ That 2% is alive and well in post #175 above.
What are you talking about? Saffron Leafs' even got Omaha in there. A bit sharp with
the Ginsu's elsewhere granted, but still, Marlon Perkins, Omaha. Im likin it. Giddyup.

Old
12-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
What are you talking about? Saffron Leafs' even got Omaha in there. A bit sharp with
the Ginsu's elsewhere granted, but still, Marlon Perkins, Omaha. Im likin it. Giddyup.
Wild Kingdom

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
You're finally one of us!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Quote:
And we've got 8 inches on the ground in Columbus.
lucky you I wish we got that much I want to take my daughter sledding

Old
12-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
I think a magority of Canadians would say there should not be NHL teams in the south.

But I bet most hockey knowledgeable people anywhere would say that the Preds have been a well-run franchise. Same as the Canes.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:48 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
lucky you I wish we got that much I want to take my daughter sledding
Bring her up the next time the Preds beat (er, I should have said PLAY) the Blue Jackets. You guys are always welcome.

Nashville is like our more successful big brother. You know, the one where all the relatives rub it in our faces, but we still just can't get our acts together. We resent you and respect you all at the same time.

But if you want some REAL fun, I'll take you to the Columbus Curling Club. Three sheets with a nice "warm room" and satellite TV from Canada!

Last edited by leesmith: 12-29-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old
12-29-2012, 09:51 PM
FrailSwan

Quote:
And Dallas had a white Christmas.

Yay sunbelt teams where "it never snows"!

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Wild Kingdom
Yepp. Marlon and that guy he sent out into the field who you just knew was gonna get mauled or bitten. Jeep charged by a 3 ton White Rhino. Left ocular kicked out of his head by an annoyed giraffe with the kind of precision exhibited in Kill Bill Vol II. Trailer scene. The very sexy Daryl Hannah.... what the Hell was wrong with Jackson Browne anyway? Seemed such a nice folk boy.... I guess they said they same thing about Hitler at one time... anyhoo...

Old
12-29-2012, 09:59 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
So are you talking about the "cities" politically? The corporations? Or all of the above? How many teams do you think the league should have?
I'm a bit confused because you and I agree way more often than we disagree.
I'm talking about the cities in general, including all the criteria that would be necessary to support an NHL team, which basically means as you said, "all of the above".

Old
12-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Marty Party
@ The Bridge

Thanks for the clarity guys. The perception of the Preds in some of these posts is not reality.

Had there not been this lockout we would have sold out even more games this season than last.

And yes, I am a proud STH.

Marty Party is offline   Reply With Quote