HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top-3 Leafs Rivals Today???

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2003, 08:11 AM
monkey_00*

vCash: 500
Top-3 Leafs Rivals Today???

Which 3-teams in the League today are the biggest Leafs' Rivals?........and which one is your personal favorite?.........Comments...Opinions...Let's here what you have to say about the Top-3 Leafs Rivals Today.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:18 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Id say Ottawa and Philly are 1-2, with the Habs and Isles close. One can argue that the Devils and Wings could be included as well. Obviously, we'd all love to see more Wings-Leafs games!

Old
09-25-2003, 08:19 AM
Transplanted Caper

Id Say the Leafs biggest rivals are the Sens,Habs(old habits die hard) and either the Flyers or Islanders

Old
09-25-2003, 08:21 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
Which 3-teams in the League today are the biggest Leafs' Rivals?........and which one is your personal favorite?.........Comments...Opinions...Let's here what you have to say about the Top-3 Leafs Rivals Today.
Philly Flyers- A few playoff series in recent years. The Sandy McCarthy incident, Brashear, the Domi/ penalty box incident.... I hate the Flyers when they play the Leafs but I respect them as a team.

Montreal Canadiens- Mostly because of history and geography. Rivalry hasn't been all that hot recently but it will always be there. I don't hate the Canadiens but I love when we beat them. I root for them to make the playoffs.

Ottawa Senoritas- Well the battle of Ontario sure intensified with our playoff meetings. I despise the Sens. I couldn't care less if they are Canadian, I'll never cheer for them- they could finished dead last for all I care. Some of their fans have this pompous attitude and it isn't justified. I'd hate to see them leave Ottawa though.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:24 AM
dempsey_k*

The Habs ? That's ancient history.

The three biggest rivalries are obvious : the Devils, Senabores and the Islanders.

The Flyers aren't a real team.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:29 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue
Id say Ottawa and Philly are 1-2, with the Habs and Isles close. One can argue that the Devils and Wings could be included as well. Obviously, we'd all love to see more Wings-Leafs games!
Without question the best atmosphere in the ACC is when Detroit is in town. I cannot wait for Dec. 6th.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:37 AM
loveshack2

Ottawa, New Jersey, and I suppose Philly is #3.

Honourable mention to Detroit, Buffalo, Islanders and Montreal.

And honourary honourable mention to Edmonton, Vancouver, and Calgary just because the Western teams hate that the building is half Leaf fans every time Toronto plays there.

Anyone else find it weird that Boston isnt considered a big rival even though we're in the same division *and* both are original six teams? Generally speaking, it's not that far away either. Strange.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:53 AM
nordique

vCash:
New Jersey?

Really?

I'd say:

1. Ottawa
2. Philadelphia
3. (tie) Buffalo/NY Islanders

Old
09-25-2003, 09:14 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4600
I would say that tradition is still the key to leaf rivalries.

1.Montreal,hands down the leafs biggest rivals and one of the greatest rivalries in all of sports.
2.Detroit,once the nhl places detroit in the eastern conference where they belong we'll be blessed with more of this great rivalry.
3.Philadelphia,this one and all others pale in comparison to the 1st two but the roughness of the games and intensity give it the edge over the rest.

Honorable mention to the hawks,sabres and the other canadian teams.
Interesting that Ottawa is viewed as a big rival.It must be an Ontario thing because out west nobody gets very excited about a leaf/sens game unless its in the playoffs but that has more to do with it being the playoffs then it does about it being the sens.

Old
09-25-2003, 09:49 AM
Johnny

Chicago, for me anyways. Going back to the early 90's, as well as growing up in a house of Hawk fans. Never will forget how much those games got me fired up.

Montreal, may lack it on the ice, but as long as the there is Hab fans out there, I will always consider them a rival.

Ottawa, self-expanitory.

Detroit, just cant stand them.

Islanders, still feel a little animosity towards them. Wouldn't be surprised to see this rival fade. Same can be said for Jersey, though the rival is fading fast.

Philly, to a lesser degree. It's there on the ice for sure. I just cant seem to hate them like I do the rest.

I do now consider the Western Canadian teams a bit of rival. They love beating the leafs, before I could care less, now the feeling is mutual.

Old
09-25-2003, 11:12 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Ottawa, Montereal and Philly/NYI

Old
09-25-2003, 11:22 AM
Epoch

1.Ottawa
2.Philly
3.NYI

Old
09-25-2003, 11:31 AM
MLH

Im surprised the Sabres aren't getting more votes. The majority of Buffalo fans would say they are our number one rival, and the rest would have them second. Where does the rivalry with NJ come from? The Domi incident?

Old
09-25-2003, 11:35 AM
CanOpener=AssCheck

Send a message via ICQ to CanOpener=AssCheck Send a message via MSN to CanOpener=AssCheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Philly Flyers- A few playoff series in recent years. The Sandy McCarthy incident, Brashear, the Domi/ penalty box incident.... I hate the Flyers when they play the Leafs but I respect them as a team.

Montreal Canadiens- Mostly because of history and geography. Rivalry hasn't been all that hot recently but it will always be there. I don't hate the Canadiens but I love when we beat them. I root for them to make the playoffs.

Ottawa Senoritas- Well the battle of Ontario sure intensified with our playoff meetings. I despise the Sens. I couldn't care less if they are Canadian, I'll never cheer for them- they could finished dead last for all I care. Some of their fans have this pompous attitude and it isn't justified. I'd hate to see them leave Ottawa though.

Everything you said is the way i feel as well lol.... are you my long lost twin hahha jj

Old
09-25-2003, 11:38 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartG101
Im surprised the Sabres aren't getting more votes. The majority of Buffalo fans would say they are our number one rival, and the rest would have them second. Where does the rivalry with NJ come from? The Domi incident?
I agree the Sabres should be getting more consideration on this thread. Maybe it's because they last couple years Buffalo hasn't been real competitive.

But I think Buffalo's going to have a great year and I wouldn't be surprised to see this rivalry heat up again in a big way.

The New Jersey rivalry has to do with a couple of playoff meetings. We lost to them a couple of times and every time we play them we just want to beat them bad. Plus they've got some tougher guys like Stevens and White that add to the on-ice rivalry.

Old
09-25-2003, 11:42 AM
MLH

I think a main factor that the rivalry hasn't heated up is because of the lack of playoff series. A couple years in a row of playoff meetings would stir things up again.

Old
09-25-2003, 11:57 AM
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
It's funny. You hear on HNIC all the time about the wicked rivalry between Toronto and Montreal and it is always talked about pre-game by Leaf players but once I heard this same question asked to a Habs coach or managment personnal and he responded that the Bruins were their greatest rivalry stating that the Leafs had some bad teams after 67 and were not really a threat. Are we still living in the past?

I would say that Philly, Sens and Detroit are our biggest rivalries.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:04 PM
Feenom

The traditional rivalries are slowly becoming extinct. Mediocrity has made the Leafs-Habs rivalry somewhat uninteresting.

Detroit has to join the East to heat that one again.

1. Ottawa - within the last few years this rivalry has grown quickly. Go anywhere in Ottawa and talk about the Leafs and see if you make it to dawn.

2. Philly - I just think that these 2 teams have a great time playing and hammering each other. As long as Roenick and Tucker don't get too soft, this is a healthy rivalry.

3. Buffalo and NYI - Every time these teams play T.O there is a nastiness to the games. They naturally hate each other's guts but it's must see TV.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:12 PM
Douggy

1. Ottawa
2. Buffalo
3. Islanders

Old
09-25-2003, 03:13 PM
nordique

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover

Honorable mention to the hawks,sabres and the other canadian teams.
Interesting that Ottawa is viewed as a big rival.It must be an Ontario thing because out west nobody gets very excited about a leaf/sens game unless its in the playoffs
Well, I don't get jazzed about a Flames/Oilers game, even though it's a big rivalry...

Old
09-25-2003, 03:36 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4600
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
Well, I don't get jazzed about a Flames/Oilers game, even though it's a big rivalry...
Ya i guess its a regional thing.

Old
09-25-2003, 03:51 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Habs, Sens and Philly

For Montreal: Boston, Toronto

Old
09-25-2003, 04:27 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

1. philly
2. new jersey
3. ottawa

only because they're the teams we're trying to beat :p

Old
09-25-2003, 05:15 PM
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
1. philly
2. new jersey
3. ottawa

only because they're the teams we're trying to beat :p

My hatred for Philly runs deep and only after only a few years of being back in the East. I really anticipate those games and are the ones that I circle on my calendar. It really hurt losing to them last year and I hope we will be able to re-deem ourselves.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:18 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

it was more fun when they had lindros and mccarthy, but primeau and brashear are getting there

Closed Thread