HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Video: 2013 World Junior Championship - Nathan MacKinnon, Canada

Old
12-28-2012, 03:25 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Video: 2013 World Junior Championship - Nathan MacKinnon, Canada

Although Team Canada has been piling up the goals so far at the 2013 World Junior Championship, top 2013 prospect Nathan MacKinnon has been relatively quiet on the scoresheet.

Through two WJC games so far, games won by Canada by a combined 15-6, MacKinnon has registered just one assist. Most of that low point total can be attributed to the fact that the Halifax Moosehead's star has been relegated to fourth-line duty so far in the tournament, a testament to how much talent Canada has on hand.

With Canada already down one forward with Boone Jenner's suspension, and possibly looking at the loss of a couple more forwards, MacKinnon may see more ice time in Canada's next couple of games at the WJC. read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:50 PM
ponder

I thought he looked really good starting around half way through the game, when MacKinnon and Drouin started to play together, with MacKinnon playing more offensive minutes in general. Spott made two really strange decisions to start this tournament IMO:
1) Why split up Drouin and MacKinnon? Their chemistry is terrific, that should be 2/3 of a great 3rd line. When he finally put them together, they were excellent
2) Why leave Rielly off the 1st PP unit? He's their best PP quarterback by a good margin IMO, and some of those PPs Hamilton/Murray were playing ~1:55, with Rielly getting about 5 seconds at the end. He only started playing on the 1st PP in the Slovakia game by accident, when Hamilton got shaken up, and he was dynamite right away. I imagine that he'll be given 1st unit PP time from now on, but it's a bit scary that it took an accident (Hamilton getting shaken up right before a PP started) for it to happen

IMO, going with this as a basic format for the team is a no-brainer:

Huberdeau - RNH - Scheifele
xxx - Strome - Ritchie
Drouin - MacKinnon - xxx

Rielly on the 1st PP unit

Spott can play around with the rest of the lineup, but those spots should be pretty much set in stone.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Big Phil

I'm waiting to see what else he does. Yes, he hasn't looked very impressive. He did a nice little play in the third period when the game was out of reach by deking a defenseman from behind the net. But this whole idea that he is comparable to Crosby is a little premature. They said the same thing about Angelo Esposito if you remember. MacKinnon will be better than Esposito of course but Crosby was on the top line on THE most stacked WJC team in 2005 and put up 9 points. It's early, but Mackinnon has a ways to go.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:35 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I'm waiting to see what else he does. Yes, he hasn't looked very impressive. He did a nice little play in the third period when the game was out of reach by deking a defenseman from behind the net. But this whole idea that he is comparable to Crosby is a little premature. They said the same thing about Angelo Esposito if you remember. MacKinnon will be better than Esposito of course but Crosby was on the top line on THE most stacked WJC team in 2005 and put up 9 points. It's early, but Mackinnon has a ways to go.
The whole Crosby/MacKinnon thing is because of the Cole Harbour/Shattuck-Saint Mary/QMJHL similarities, NOT about MacKinnon actually being a Crosby level prospect. He's clearly not as good as Crosby, and virtually nobody has ever claimed that he's on that level.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 08:16 PM
markrander87

Quote:

Ya I'm a bit shocked you posted this. The Crosby/MacKinnon comparisons are just plain unfair for Nathan. It's not his fault he had the same path as Sid. He's a Potential top 1 pick but let him be his own player.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Alerion
Get the Can Opener

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
The whole Crosby/MacKinnon thing is because of the Cole Harbour/Shattuck-Saint Mary/QMJHL similarities, NOT about MacKinnon actually being a Crosby level prospect. He's clearly not as good as Crosby, and virtually nobody has ever claimed that he's on that level.
Exactly. They're not even similar players. MacKinnon's taken the same path as Sidney Crosby thus far, but aside from that, there's really no similarities in their playstyles.

I personally think Drouin - MacKinnon - Rattie should be given a go based on their dominance today in the third period.

Alerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:04 PM
mobilus

This thread at least deserves a vid of "the move"....

mobilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 11:56 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilus View Post
This thread at least deserves a vid of "the move"....

I get amped up every single time i see this.. always noticing how close he was to tucking that... would have been unreal

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:46 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Ya I'm a bit shocked you posted this. The Crosby/MacKinnon comparisons are just plain unfair for Nathan. It's not his fault he had the same path as Sid. He's a Potential top 1 pick but let him be his own player.
Well obviously it has been said before, not by me, but a few in the media. And yes I think the comparisons pretty much end at their path they are taking and not their skillset or statistics.

Old
12-29-2012, 01:54 AM
Canada4Gold

Thought this was footage of him on the ice before I came into the thread, was suprised you were able to find footage of that, it's barely happened all tournament. Then I realized it's an interview, makes more sense, he probably has racked up more interview time than ice time so far

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:23 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Very nice move by Nathan, would have been awesome if it went in.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 06:47 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Not impressive in comparison to what he accomplishes on a nightly basis with the Halifax Mooseheads stats wise perhaps however, in his limited ice time, he has shown he has accepted his role (which players are forced to do in the WJHC`s) and has played well when called upon to perform that role.

His stats or his lack of dominating don`t hinder his draft position one bit, every Pro scout knows the kid has been asked to play a role, he`s doing that, with his mouth shut and he`d playing well so far in that role, that`s a solid sign of maturity and he`ll only grow from the experience of taking that role on

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Not impressive in comparison to what he accomplishes on a nightly basis with the Halifax Mooseheads stats wise perhaps however, in his limited ice time, he has shown he has accepted his role (which players are forced to do in the WJHC`s) and has played well when called upon to perform that role.

His stats or his lack of dominating don`t hinder his draft position one bit, every Pro scout knows the kid has been asked to play a role, he`s doing that, with his mouth shut and he`d playing well so far in that role, that`s a solid sign of maturity and he`ll only grow from the experience of taking that role on
And that's fine, really. Good for him. It is possible he could work his way up the ladder by the end of the tournament. But he is similar to other top prospects at this tournament. Jonathan Toews is remembered for being spectacular in 2007, but in his draft year in 2006 he was a role player with the team. Lecavalier and Thornton didn't do much either in their draft years so MacKinnon is in good company there. Only a select few (Crosby, Lindros, Spezza, Heatley) play a significant role in their draft year.

Old
12-29-2012, 03:19 PM
conway902

Mac would be the first guy I would send over the boards in overtime. You can't describe his will to win when the game is on the line

conway902 is offline   Reply With Quote