HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Lockout VI - Game On! Rejoice! Players to vote Saturday.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2013, 10:27 PM
  #401
Sam Slick*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
Thank you meng, pretty much what I was going to say. The pension is more for Mike Brown, not Phil Kessel. If your smart about it, you should be making pension contributions from Working Day 1. And not just CPP. If Brown is gonna be a hockey player for 6-7 years (if he's lucky) he will need to make good contributions to his pension plan. At 30, with concussions, where is he to go when his hockey career is over. I hope these guys figure that out.

I think it may also be an argument over who's half pays for it. These sides are nickel and diming each other that much.
Kind of agree but even mike brown has already played 6 years and likely will get to 10. He has made 4 million so far. In my meager, average life, I have to defer. If I was making that much money, I would thank my lucky stars and not be greedy like that.

Brown also happens to be my favorite player.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:50 PM
  #402
Sam Slick*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
My prediction....the season will be cancelled. The CBA will happen in about April or May and that gives NHL, teams and players to advertise the heck out of the NHL and have the whole summer to woo the fans back. All will be forgotten.....until the next CBA. The next CBA will result in the same thing. Another lockout.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:52 PM
  #403
Kessely Snipes
Great White North
 
Kessely Snipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
I try not to get too high or low. If a deal is made (and thats a big IF) its going down to the wire. Fehr gone to far to sign before he has to.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:23 PM
  #404
leeaf83
Registered User
 
leeaf83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsie View Post
My prediction....the season will be cancelled. The CBA will happen in about April or May and that gives NHL, teams and players to advertise the heck out of the NHL and have the whole summer to woo the fans back. All will be forgotten.....until the next CBA. The next CBA will result in the same thing. Another lockout.
My fingers are crossed that one or both sides is basically decided now that they take the best deal they are offered at the last second.


I do predict we never get another CBA expiration without a work stoppage during Bettmans tenure since he seems to feel that's his only source of leverage.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:32 PM
  #405
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
I do predict we never get another CBA expiration without a work stoppage during Bettmans tenure since he seems to feel that's his only source of leverage.
Assuming a 10 year CBA, that may be a pretty safe bet.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 01:32 AM
  #406
meng666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsie View Post
Right. I wonder why even the lower tier guys would need a pension, considering even they make 4 times as much as our prime minister yearly. I feel like its a major stumbling block in the negotiations, yet feels like a slap in the face of the fans by locking out the season.....so they can get pensions after making millions and millions after their career is dont. And, there would be no pensions for players that only played a year or two, so we are talking about players that have been in the league long enough to make a fortune anyway.

And, I am also wondering about the same thing as you about if Betman will be getting that pension too. We pay all this crap, no one else, just the fans. Some would say that the sponsors also pay a certain amount, but if there is no fans, there would be no need for sponsors. Although, we also kind of pay to the sponsors. I drink Canadian, have a bell satellite and a rogers plan. Its all money. Its all greed between players and owners. I think Fehr is the anti christ of hockey. He is paid by union and the longer he works for them, the more money he makes.
They didn't lockout, the owners did when the players didn't accept their absolutely ridiculous first offer which is sooo far off from what they are offering now. Also, just for comparison sake, there are no NHL players anywhere even close to the top 100 money grossing athletes in the world. PM's make good money and work in the public sector, it's way different, not a good comparison at all, sorry.
I think the players got Fehr simply because they felt they had to after Bettman's hardball over his entire tenure. There is a chance that the players are trying to make this lockout as bitter as possible for the owners and I don't blame them. Hopefully they wait until the last minute and then sign a deal and then this lockout crap won't happen again for a long, long time.
But, i hear you, it truly would be nice if the players played for alot less, tickets were way less, the commissioner made 500k and the owners were raking in decent profits that they in turn used to help finance the league and help it grow responsibly; but that just isn't going to happen. There is a problem in this league and just like most everywhere it starts from the top down.


Last edited by meng666: 01-05-2013 at 01:41 AM.
meng666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:30 AM
  #407
Sam Slick*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by meng666 View Post
They didn't lockout, the owners did when the players didn't accept their absolutely ridiculous first offer which is sooo far off from what they are offering now. Also, just for comparison sake, there are no NHL players anywhere even close to the top 100 money grossing athletes in the world. PM's make good money and work in the public sector, it's way different, not a good comparison at all, sorry.
I think the players got Fehr simply because they felt they had to after Bettman's hardball over his entire tenure. There is a chance that the players are trying to make this lockout as bitter as possible for the owners and I don't blame them. Hopefully they wait until the last minute and then sign a deal and then this lockout crap won't happen again for a long, long time.
But, i hear you, it truly would be nice if the players played for alot less, tickets were way less, the commissioner made 500k and the owners were raking in decent profits that they in turn used to help finance the league and help it grow responsibly; but that just isn't going to happen. There is a problem in this league and just like most everywhere it starts from the top down.
You know, one of the main problems I see is revenue sharing. Everything seems to come from it. Get rid of 6 teams that suck and relocate them to Europe in a 6 division league where hockey actually flourishes. There would be much more revenue for all those involved and the Canadian teams and NYR would not have to share to keep those 6 deep south teams afloat.

I would have no problem saying good bye to the yotes, panthers, lightning, huricanes to start. Put those teams in Sweden, Chech, Slovakia, Finland and 2 more teams in Germany and Switzerland. All those teams would be boom revenue teams.

Hmmm, this would need its own thread I think.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 06:35 AM
  #408
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,387
vCash: 500
I have a problem with a high percentage of revenue sharing. A team like the Leafs will subsidize these financially strapped teams who actually happen to have better hockey teams. If the Leafs have to give a lot to help these other teams stay afloat, they should get something in return. It's selfish, sure. But that's how I feel.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:16 AM
  #409
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,709
vCash: 500
My emotional roller coaster is trending upwards today.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:18 AM
  #410
Hurt
Global Moderator
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
My emotional roller coaster is trending upwards today.
Hop off while you can because the next time it comes down, the brakes will fail and this thing is slamming in to the ground.

__________________
Shoot me a PM with your concerns. Also, come visit us in the Science Forum!
Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:12 AM
  #411
egd27
#freethebigpicture
 
egd27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsie View Post
You know, one of the main problems I see is revenue sharing. Everything seems to come from it. Get rid of 6 teams that suck and relocate them to Europe in a 6 division league where hockey actually flourishes. There would be much more revenue for all those involved and the Canadian teams and NYR would not have to share to keep those 6 deep south teams afloat.

I would have no problem saying good bye to the yotes, panthers, lightning, huricanes to start. Put those teams in Sweden, Chech, Slovakia, Finland and 2 more teams in Germany and Switzerland. All those teams would be boom revenue teams.

Hmmm, this would need its own thread I think.
So tired of hearing this nonsense.

Forbes estimates the value of the bottom 6 teams in the NHL at between 130 and 167 million each. How do you propose that they just "get rid" of them?

Does someone just go to each owner and say, "I understand you have a $150 million asset, but there are a bunch of fans in Canada that think there are too many teams in the league, so we'd like you to pack up your team and move it to Helsinki" ?

Give your head a shake.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:17 AM
  #412
TmlHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,751
vCash: 500
Instead of getting rid of teams I'd prefer if they moved some of them to the Canadian market. Such as Saskatchewan and the other provinces that don't have a hockey team.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:21 AM
  #413
Hurt
Global Moderator
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmlHockeyFan View Post
Instead of getting rid of teams I'd prefer if they moved some of them to the Canadian market. Such as Saskatchewan and the other provinces that don't have a hockey team.
Saskatchewan barely has a million people in their whole province. That would be a terrible idea.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:22 AM
  #414
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats
 
Kyle Doobas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,625
vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Saskatchewan barely has a million people in their whole province. That would be a terrible idea.
To be fair, most of them would never have anything better to do than go to a hockey game.

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:29 AM
  #415
Sam Slick*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
So if another disclaimer was voted and passed, and the NHLPA files it. The Union is abolished correct? If thats the case, then each contract goes to court for each individual player right? Therefore, since the players were locked out, and were willing and ready to play, they get this years moneys. Anyone know if thats the case?

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:32 AM
  #416
Sam Slick*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
So tired of hearing this nonsense.

Forbes estimates the value of the bottom 6 teams in the NHL at between 130 and 167 million each. How do you propose that they just "get rid" of them?

Does someone just go to each owner and say, "I understand you have a $150 million asset, but there are a bunch of fans in Canada that think there are too many teams in the league, so we'd like you to pack up your team and move it to Helsinki" ?

Give your head a shake.
So tired of listening to posters who dont actually know anything about hockey spew your kind of crap with a condescending attitude.

No, you move the teams. San Fran, Quebec, Hamilton etc. Got it now?

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:34 AM
  #417
Sam Slick*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
I have a problem with a high percentage of revenue sharing. A team like the Leafs will subsidize these financially strapped teams who actually happen to have better hockey teams. If the Leafs have to give a lot to help these other teams stay afloat, they should get something in return. It's selfish, sure. But that's how I feel.
Completely agree. Plus, it pisses me off that those teams can sign a better players because of our handouts.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:48 AM
  #418
TmlHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Saskatchewan barely has a million people in their whole province. That would be a terrible idea.
Manitoba has a population 200k more than Saskatchewan and they have the Winnipeg Jets..

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:50 AM
  #419
egd27
#freethebigpicture
 
egd27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsie View Post
So tired of listening to posters who dont actually know anything about hockey spew your kind of crap with a condescending attitude.

No, you move the teams. San Fran, Quebec, Hamilton etc. Got it now?
So this wasn't what you meant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsie View Post
Get rid of 6 teams that suck and relocate them to Europe in a 6 division league where hockey actually flourishes. There would be much more revenue for all those involved and the Canadian teams and NYR would not have to share to keep those 6 deep south teams afloat.

I would have no problem saying good bye to the yotes, panthers, lightning, huricanes to start. Put those teams in Sweden, Chech, Slovakia, Finland and 2 more teams in Germany and Switzerland. All those teams would be boom revenue teams.
Guess I misinterpreted what you wrote. When you wrote Europe, you actually meant potentially viable North American markets. Think I got it now.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:56 AM
  #420
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by meng666 View Post
They didn't lockout, the owners did when the players didn't accept their absolutely ridiculous first offer which is sooo far off from what they are offering now. Also, just for comparison sake, there are no NHL players anywhere even close to the top 100 money grossing athletes in the world. PM's make good money and work in the public sector, it's way different, not a good comparison at all, sorry.
And the NHL isn't anywhere near the top 10 grossing sport leagues around the world. Of course their players won't get paid like a league that makes 100x as much $$. Grow the popularity of the sport (which Bettman is trying to do), get some national TV deals, and the salaries will become but much better in the NHL, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meng666 View Post
But, i hear you, it truly would be nice if the players played for alot less, tickets were way less, the commissioner made 500k and the owners were raking in decent profits that they in turn used to help finance the league and help it grow responsibly; but that just isn't going to happen. There is a problem in this league and just like most everywhere it starts from the top down.
The problem is, we live in a capitalist world, where money drives everything. There is no way the Leafs will sell $10 tickets (regardless of how much their players make), if they can sell the same tickets for $200.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:58 AM
  #421
Sam Slick*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
So this wasn't what you meant?



Guess I misinterpreted what you wrote. When you wrote Europe, you actually meant potentially viable North American markets. Think I got it now.
Hell, I am all over the place. I dont care about the teams that canadian teams have to support is what I am saying. I would like to see a european league for sure because they would support themselves, unlike our deep south teams.

and yes of course, those owners would have to support it or sell.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:59 AM
  #422
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by meng666 View Post
They didn't lockout, the owners did when the players didn't accept their absolutely ridiculous first offer which is sooo far off from what they are offering now. Also, just for comparison sake, there are no NHL players anywhere even close to the top 100 money grossing athletes in the world. PM's make good money and work in the public sector, it's way different, not a good comparison at all, sorry.
I think the players got Fehr simply because they felt they had to after Bettman's hardball over his entire tenure. There is a chance that the players are trying to make this lockout as bitter as possible for the owners and I don't blame them. Hopefully they wait until the last minute and then sign a deal and then this lockout crap won't happen again for a long, long time.
But, i hear you, it truly would be nice if the players played for alot less, tickets were way less, the commissioner made 500k and the owners were raking in decent profits that they in turn used to help finance the league and help it grow responsibly; but that just isn't going to happen. There is a problem in this league and just like most everywhere it starts from the top down.
Explain why there should be given the NHL's revenues.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:01 AM
  #423
Sam Slick*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
And the NHL isn't anywhere near the top 10 grossing sport leagues around the world. Of course their players won't get paid like a league that makes 100x as much $$. Grow the popularity of the sport (which Bettman is trying to do), get some national TV deals, and the salaries will become but much better in the NHL, too.



The problem is, we live in a capitalist world, where money drives everything. There is no way the Leafs will sell $10 tickets (regardless of how much their players make), if they can sell the same tickets for $200.
Soccer is number one by a long shot. Not even close. I would think Cricket would be number two followed by baseball.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:02 AM
  #424
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsie View Post
Hell, I am all over the place. I dont care about the teams that canadian teams have to support is what I am saying. I would like to see a european league for sure because they would support themselves, unlike our deep south teams.

and yes of course, those owners would have to support it or sell.


European divisions may very well be in the future plans, but you can't just "relocate" teams there. It would need to be a carefully calculated plan. 10+ teams, to make it worthwhile in terms of scheduling "road games" overseas.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:05 AM
  #425
Sam Slick*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
For those talking about the highest paid athletes in the world. Floyd Mayweather made 85 million this year not including sponsors which paid him. 40 cool mil to top out at 125 mil. He has to go to jail though.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.