HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Line Combos

Old
01-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Any exhibition games planned? When do rosters have to be official?
no exhibition games is what i heard by sportsnet.

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:58 PM
delchief

vCash: 500
To start the season.....

Michalek - Spezza - Silfverberg
Lats - Turris - Alfie
Regin - Smith - Neil
Greening - JOB - Condra
(Daugavins)

Methot - Karlsson
Wierchioch - Gonchar
Phillips - Borocop
(Lundin)

Anderson/Bishop

... two rookies on D will likely be brutal but at least they can compete hard for a permanent spot until Lundin gets back.

delchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:38 PM
bert

The sens really need to make a move for a d man. Are any teams in cap trouble and potentially looking to trade a legit top 3?

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:46 PM
topshelfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
The sens really need to make a move for a d man. Are any teams in cap trouble and potentially looking to trade a legit top 3?
Vancouver. They have about $55 million commited to only 13 players next year, they need to move Luongo, a defenceman or both.

I was thinking Edler but I'd settle for Hamhuis and Garrisson as well, depending on the price.

Edler is a free agent after this season and Hamhuis ad Garisson are signed long term.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
Vancouver. They have about $55 million commited to only 13 players next year, they need to move Luongo, a defenceman or both.

I was thinking Edler but I'd settle for Hamhuis and Garrisson as well, depending on the price.

Edler is a free agent after this season and Hamhuis ad Garisson are signed long term.
They just signed Garrison this season. He hasn't even played a game for them yet. He's not going anywhere. Hamhuis signed last off season. Again, not going anywhere. As for Edler, the price would be quite steep.

Laszlo Panaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
no exhibition games is what i heard by sportsnet.
Really? That's surprising. I guess we will find out soon.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Not a lot of time to get a feel for young players, rookies or chemistry, so the team will try to stay as cohesive as possible in terms of last year and also using vets over rookies where possible. Teams with the most change in the offseason will likely struggle more, given the coaching (or lack there of) and implenting systems will be so hard. Not only with a short camp, but minimal practices all year given games every other night. Coaches and GM's know the team needs to hit the ground running and be fast out of the gate.

As such, I think guys like Stone, Ceci, ZBad and Da Costa may not even be at camp, and if they are, it will be for experience, not with hopes of making the team. But I doubt Ceci gets an invite, and Stone too. Even guys like Da Costa, Zibanejad and Hoffman might not get invited, given the depth of veteran forwards. All will be told they will likely see time with the team before year's end. But with Daugavins, Regin, JOB and a few other vets in the mix, the Sens are already 14 deep or so. Silverberg I expect will get a long look in the top 6, as will Latendresse, although perhaps not as long if he doesn't produce. Besides the other top 4 front line forwards (Alf, Milan, Spezz and Turris) that leaves Smith, Neil, Greening, Condra along with JOB, Regin and Daugavins as the 13 forwards the team keeps when the season breaks.

They want guys like Stone, Da Costa, Zbad, Hoffman, Pageau, Dzu, Grant and the rest of the future forwards to get bigger ice time in Bingo, as all need work on their games.

On D, I think Benoit is in for sure given his experience. I think Borowiecki will have the inside edge over Wiercioch given his style of play and the fact the Sens won't really need Wierioch on the PP. But all three of these guys may start the year with the team until Lundin is back. Not a lot of depth there, though.

Lehner will stay in Bingo, and Bishop will be the back-up until injuries or poor performance makes it necessary to bring Lehner up. This is the stone cold reality of the contracts and two-way deals. If Anderson and Bishop play decent and stay healthy, he may not make an appearance with the Sens (a big if, though). As such, it wouldn't shock me to see Lehner get called up if the others are struggling late in the year, and they just keep three goalies at the pro level (can't send Bishop down) and ride Lehner for a spell. It's the kind of move Murray has done before.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:56 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
I almost think we should make a pitch for Ryan Whitney to flush out the D for the year.

The Oilers have Smid, Petry, Schultz and Schultz to fill in their top-4. Whitney may be available.

01-06-2013, 08:57 PM
OttawaSenators11

Yeah, the D looks is very thin! I am worried about it, tbh

I think we need to make a move and Elder would be amazing!

i could see us signing Compoli for the season.

OttawaSenators11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:59 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Panaflex View Post
They just signed Garrison this season. He hasn't even played a game for them yet. He's not going anywhere. Hamhuis signed last off season. Again, not going anywhere. As for Edler, the price would be quite steep.
Well they are going to have to dump someone this maybe a great opportunity for the sens to get great value. If they can get Edler the sens have the prospects to make a deal like that happen. He is the perfect parner for Karlsson and is still quite young.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:01 PM
OttawaSenators11

Garrison's contract isn't the greatest as well.

Whitney's an interesting option - not sure EDM would move him.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:03 PM
topshelfie

Quote:
So we can't go after players signed to long term deals and we can't go after an upcoming free agent either? If the Canucks need cap relief they will move somebody and I don't see them moving the Sedins or Kesler. A defenceman would be the next best choice.

We have plenty of prospects and 3 NHL ready goalies to trade for a defenceman, something we need desperately unless we want to rely on Wiercoch and Boro this year.

Another team that needs cap relief is the Habs, but noone would trade for Gomez , the Habs would just waive him.Right now the front runners for a trade to happen are probably Vancouver, Ottawa and the Leafs who need a goalie badly.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:08 PM
OttawaSenators11

Just realized both Hamhuis and Garrison have NTC

Old
01-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
So we can't go after players signed to long term deals and we can't go after an upcoming free agent either? If the Canucks need cap relief they will move somebody and I don't see them moving the Sedins or Kesler. A defenceman would be the next best choice.

We have plenty of prospects and 3 NHL ready goalies to trade for a defenceman, something we need desperately unless we want to rely on Wiercoch and Boro this year.

Another team that needs cap relief is the Habs, but noone would trade for Gomez , the Habs would just waive him.Right now the front runners for a trade to happen are probably Vancouver, Ottawa and the Leafs who need a goalie badly.
I never said we couldn't go after Garrison and Hamhuis, just that is was unlikely they would be traded. Also, I never said we couldn't go after Edler, just that the price would be high. Perhaps Murray pays that price to get him. Who knows? Also, there are other teams we can talk trade with, not just Vancouver.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I almost think we should make a pitch for Ryan Whitney to flush out the D for the year.

The Oilers have Smid, Petry, Schultz and Schultz to fill in their top-4. Whitney may be available.
Do they have 2 guys named Schultz, or do you expect him to play on the first and second pairings?

Old
01-06-2013, 09:23 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Do they have 2 guys named Schultz, or do you expect him to play on the first and second pairings?
Two different players. Justin was the Ducks prospect turned UFA, Nick was Minnesota's longest serving player (second ever draft pick, actually), traded to Edmonton at the last trade deadline for Tom Gilbert.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Two different players. Justin was the Ducks prospect turned UFA, Nick was Minnesota's longest serving player (second ever draft pick, actually), traded to Edmonton at the last trade deadline for Tom Gilbert.
Ahh, that's right. Ok, I will go to the box and feel shame now.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:28 PM
sensfan65

Quote:
They acquired Nick Schultz from Minnesota at th deadline last year in exchange for Tom Gilbert

sensfan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

If we do happen to trade for Edler, I'm just happy we don't have to worry about giving him a 10+ year contract.

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:06 PM
source

Vancouver will not trade Edler for our prospects/spare parts. Just FYI. Same goes for Whitney in Edmonton.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:15 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Funny, but the Rangers (and teams toward the end of the year) started noticing that Karlsson passed to his D partner a lot, or tries a little squeeze rush. As the Rangers demonstrated, it's entirely possible to neutralize him for extended periods. As mediocre as Kuba was, he could also move the puck. Methot is...blech. I'm expecting a bit of a regression from this book but that's fine as they're not on the cusp of contending. With the new draft rules it might be worth doing a semi-tank if we're not in the mix come early March and just load up on more prospects for that time when we are able to contend...
Interesting perspective.

The way I see it is quite different. In fact, I'd say that the Rangers had no luck in containing Karlsson at all.

Sure he only had the one goal, but that was because Lundqvist was standing on his head and nobody could score on him.

He had 31 shots that got through in that series. Next best was Spezza with 21.

He played the most of any of our players, with 25:21 TOI/G. He finished the series with an even plus/minus.

You can say the Rangers contained him, but you'd be wrong.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:20 PM
burf

The only D-man Vancouver is likely willing to trade is Ballard. Way overpaid for his role on that team, though he could likely slot into Ottawa's top 4 pretty easily.

burf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by burf View Post
The only D-man Vancouver is likely willing to trade is Ballard. Way overpaid for his role on that team, though he could likely slot into Ottawa's top 4 pretty easily.
I don't doubt that Vancouver will try to shop him, but I hope Ottawa stays away from him. He still has 2 more years left at 4.2 million after this one. He didn't exactly have a strong season last year either. I think we could do better.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:53 PM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenOfSpades View Post
Helloooooo lottery pick.

This.

And with this years draft of studs I'd welcome it with open arms

In all seriousness our D is pretty thin after our top pairing. We need to acquire a #3-4 defenseman if we even want to compete. Then there are all the grumblings with the Pens being after Gonchar. Who would they give us in return? A D for a D? A D prospect?

Our forwards are pretty solid. My wishful thinking is that we end up with the 30 goal capable version of Latendresse. But I'd be satisfied with a 20-25 goal season (48/50 game equivalent of course). So at best 17-18ish at worst 14-15? If my math is correct.

QuietOnTheFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:09 PM
OMadahey

I hope the line up is something like

Lats spezza. Michalek
Silf. Turris. Alfi
Greening regin. Neil
Condra. Smith. Jo.b

Methot king k
Patty w. Gonchar