HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

If the NHL comes back, there has to be a big expansion.

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 08:29 PM
RogerRoeper*

vCash: 500
The best Market to expand is Toronto hands down. Whether it will be allowed is another story.

It's already been said the second Toronto team would automatically be the 3rd most valuable in the entire NHL.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:30 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Except.....no matter how much fairy dust you smoke, the Blue Jackets are going nowhere. The Lightning are going nowhere. The Panthers are going nowhere. The Stars are going nowhere. The Hurricanes are going nowhere. It's just that simple.
Things can change. We'll see. Atlanta moved and Bettman didn't want that.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:30 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
The Leafs do not play boring hockey. Sorry. They are far from boring. They played exciting run n' gun hockey last season.

They haven't played a "Boring" style since the Pat Burns years.
You can "run n' gun" 'til your eyeballs explode and it doesn't matter one bit if you can't put the puck in the back of the net.....something the Leafs find....ahem, "challenging".....

Old
01-02-2013, 08:31 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Things can change. We'll see. Atlanta moved and Bettman didn't want that.
What Bettman wants or doesn't want is immaterial.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:31 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
You can "run n' gun" 'til your eyeballs explode and it doesn't matter one bit if you can't put the puck in the back of the net.....something the Leafs find....ahem, "challenging".....
Again, they're not boring at all. They played an offensive style that was entertaining.

Now you're claiming a lot of goals against is "Boring". I don't agree.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:32 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Again, they're not boring at all. They played an offensive style that was entertaining.

Now you're claiming a lot of goals against is "Boring". I don't agree.
Please point out where in that sentence I mentioned goals against

Old
01-02-2013, 08:35 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Except.....no matter how much fairy dust you smoke, the Blue Jackets are going nowhere. The Lightning are going nowhere. The Panthers are going nowhere. The Stars are going nowhere. The Hurricanes are going nowhere. It's just that simple.
39 million apparently cuts the leash that keeps cbj in columbus,. Not chump change but not the stumbling you presume either.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:36 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Please point out where in that sentence I mentioned goals against
I mistook your sentence for "In The Back", but the fact is their offense was fine. It was their GA that was the issue. Until Lupul's injury, they had 2 of the top 5 NHl scorers.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:37 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
I mistook your sentence for "In The Back", but the fact is their offense was fine. It was their GA that was the issue. Until Lupul's injury, they had 2 of the top 5 NHl scorers.
When they crack 300 goals in a season come back and talk to me about "run n' gun".....a term that applies to NO teams in the NHL right now.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:38 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
39 million apparently cuts the leash that keeps cbj in columbus,. Not chump change but not the stumbling you presume either.
Dreaming about a potential out in a lease isn't going to make that lease break occur. Lay off the fairy dust please.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:39 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
When they crack 300 goals in a season come back and talk to me about "run n' gun".....a term that applies to NO teams in the NHL right now.
They were 9th in GF last season. They did indeed employ an exciting offensive system. It would likely have been top 5 if they didn't can Wilson.

No NHL team last season reached 300 GF. So you're saying there were no exciting teams last season?

Old
01-02-2013, 08:41 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
They were 9th in GF last season. They did indeed employ an exciting offensive system. It would likely have been top 5 if they didn't can Wilson.

No NHL team last season reached 300 GF. So you're saying there were no exciting teams last season?
Like I said, get back to me when they crack 300 goals and we'll discuss "exciting".....

Old
01-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Killion
Global Moderator
Semolina Pilchard

Quote:
True enough, and a decade looking from the outside in every spring is certainly not something MLSE nor the faithful are particularly pleased about. However, better they should at least make the effort to provide Firewagon Hockey rather than fall back on the Left Wing Lock & Neutral Zone Trap's, playing a stifling game of defence which though very effective (as witness the Coyotes success of the past 2 seasons, Jersey & the Wild, Detroit in 94 etc) leaves much to be desired in terms of entertainment. Indeed, Toronto won its Cups in the 60's playing that style, Expansion teams in 67-68, most notably St.Louis under Bowman along with many that followed adopting same. The great neutraliser.

And plz... lets not make this "all about Toronto".

Old
01-02-2013, 08:43 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Dreaming about a potential out in a lease isn't going to make that lease break occur. Lay off the fairy dust please.
Have you seen the lease ? I looked and could not find it but a reporter from Columbus ( who seemed pretty happy with the deal) apparently has seen the deal. I got wind of the penalty to bolt from him.

Did he include it to flesh out all of the Canadian vultures ?

Are you saying that if true, columbus is not as stable as you are trying to imply.?

Old
01-02-2013, 08:44 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
True enough, and a decade looking from the outside in every spring is certainly not something MLSE nor the faithful are particularly pleased about. However, better they should at least make the effort to provide Firewagon Hockey rather than fall back on the Left Wing Lock & Neutral Zone Trap's, playing a stifling game of defence which though very effective (as witness the Coyotes success of the past 2 seasons, Jersey & the Wild, Detroit in 94 etc) leaves much to be desired in terms of entertainment. Indeed, Toronto won its Cups in the 60's playing that style, Expansion teams in 67-68, most notably St.Louis under Bowman along with many that followed adopting same. The great neutraliser.
Hence why I'd LOVE to see the trap banned Hell, if baseball could lower the flippin' mound in the early '70s.....

Old
01-02-2013, 08:48 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Have you seen the lease ? I looked and could not find it but a reporter from Columbus ( who seemed pretty happy with the deal) apparently has seen the deal. I got wind of the penalty to bolt from him.

Are you saying that if true, columbus is not as stable as you are trying to imply.?
Funny how the only people who seem to think Columbus is going anywhere are the usual suspects who have this bizarre pipedream about moving all the US franchises to "more deserving" locations (read: above the 49th parallel).....

Old
01-02-2013, 08:49 PM
sandysan

Quote:

There was a previous thread where a poster going by mayor bee made the same assertion as you are now. Someone else linked to the article, if you want to read it you should be able to find it. The thread went from an assertion that it would cost 250 million to wrestle the jackets from nation wide, to well mabey 39 million plus all of the lawsuits from third parties. I'm not a lawyer but the last assertion was ( in my opinion) not well received. You should find the thread and read up on it so that the same things are not repeated twice.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:51 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
There was a previous thread where a poster going by mayor bee made the same assertion as you are now. Someone else linked to the article, if you want to read it you should be able to find it. The thread went from an assertion that it would cost 250 million to wrestle the jackets from nation wide, to well mabey 39 million plus all of the lawsuits from third parties. I'm not a lawyer but the last assertion was ( in my opinion) not well received. You should find the thread and read up on it so that the same things are not repeated twice.
Apparently what hasn't crossed your mind is that Columbus not going anywhere has nothing to do with the lease......Call me crazy, but just because a lease has an out in it (regardless of the amount) doesn't mean the franchise is going anywhere.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:52 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Funny how the only people who seem to think Columbus is going anywhere are the usual suspects who have this bizarre pipedream about moving all the US franchises to "more deserving" locations (read: above the 49th parallel).....
If there were slam dunks like QC in Toronto 2 in the states, the jackets could move there. But there aren't. Tor2>>QC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everywhere else.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:53 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Apparently what hasn't crossed your mind is that Columbus not going anywhere has nothing to do with the lease......Call me crazy, but just because a lease has an out in it (regardless of the amount) doesn't mean the franchise is going anywhere.
So why would they stay if their revenue problems dissapear? Civic pride???????

Old
01-02-2013, 08:53 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
If there were slam dunks like QC in Toronto 2 in the states, the jackets could move there. But there aren't. Tor2>>QC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everywhere else.
You don't need to be a "slam dunk" to have a franchise. Have you seen the Blackhawks attendance figures from back in the '80s? Or the Red Wings?

Old
01-02-2013, 08:55 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
So why would they stay if their revenue problems dissapear? Civic pride???????
Why wouldn't they? The Penguins are still in Pittsburgh and they were a certified money loser 10 years ago.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:58 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Why wouldn't they? The Penguins are still in Pittsburgh and they were a certified money loser 10 years ago.
So lose money and hope to become the pens ( ignore the bare cupboard and the franchise player pleasing elsewhere) or got to tor2 or Quebec and start printing money as soon as the planes wheels touch down.

Yeah, there both the same upside.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:59 PM
sandysan

Quote:
You don't need to be a "slam dunk" to have a franchise. Have you seen the Blackhawks attendance figures from back in the '80s? Or the Red Wings?
Have you seen the yotes and the stars ?

Old
01-02-2013, 09:00 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
So lose money and hope to become the pens ( ignore the bare cupboard and the franchise player pleasing elsewhere) or got to tor2 or Quebec and start printing money as soon as the planes wheels touch down.

Yeah, there both the same upside.
Funny, but how profitable were the Bruins back in the '90s? How were their prospects when their franchise player was hoisting a cup with the Avalanche? How are they doing today?

Closed Thread