HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

If the NHL comes back, there has to be a big expansion.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2013, 08:29 PM
  #201
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
The best Market to expand is Toronto hands down. Whether it will be allowed is another story.

It's already been said the second Toronto team would automatically be the 3rd most valuable in the entire NHL.

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:30 PM
  #202
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Except.....no matter how much fairy dust you smoke, the Blue Jackets are going nowhere. The Lightning are going nowhere. The Panthers are going nowhere. The Stars are going nowhere. The Hurricanes are going nowhere. It's just that simple.
Things can change. We'll see. Atlanta moved and Bettman didn't want that.

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:30 PM
  #203
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
The Leafs do not play boring hockey. Sorry. They are far from boring. They played exciting run n' gun hockey last season.

They haven't played a "Boring" style since the Pat Burns years.
You can "run n' gun" 'til your eyeballs explode and it doesn't matter one bit if you can't put the puck in the back of the net.....something the Leafs find....ahem, "challenging".....

SaintPatrick33 is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:31 PM
  #204
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Things can change. We'll see. Atlanta moved and Bettman didn't want that.
What Bettman wants or doesn't want is immaterial.

SaintPatrick33 is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:31 PM
  #205
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
You can "run n' gun" 'til your eyeballs explode and it doesn't matter one bit if you can't put the puck in the back of the net.....something the Leafs find....ahem, "challenging".....
Again, they're not boring at all. They played an offensive style that was entertaining.

Now you're claiming a lot of goals against is "Boring". I don't agree.

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:32 PM
  #206
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Again, they're not boring at all. They played an offensive style that was entertaining.

Now you're claiming a lot of goals against is "Boring". I don't agree.
Please point out where in that sentence I mentioned goals against

SaintPatrick33 is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:35 PM
  #207
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Except.....no matter how much fairy dust you smoke, the Blue Jackets are going nowhere. The Lightning are going nowhere. The Panthers are going nowhere. The Stars are going nowhere. The Hurricanes are going nowhere. It's just that simple.
39 million apparently cuts the leash that keeps cbj in columbus,. Not chump change but not the stumbling you presume either.

sandysan is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:36 PM
  #208
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Please point out where in that sentence I mentioned goals against
I mistook your sentence for "In The Back", but the fact is their offense was fine. It was their GA that was the issue. Until Lupul's injury, they had 2 of the top 5 NHl scorers.

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:37 PM
  #209
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I mistook your sentence for "In The Back", but the fact is their offense was fine. It was their GA that was the issue. Until Lupul's injury, they had 2 of the top 5 NHl scorers.
When they crack 300 goals in a season come back and talk to me about "run n' gun".....a term that applies to NO teams in the NHL right now.

SaintPatrick33 is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:38 PM
  #210
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
39 million apparently cuts the leash that keeps cbj in columbus,. Not chump change but not the stumbling you presume either.
Dreaming about a potential out in a lease isn't going to make that lease break occur. Lay off the fairy dust please.

SaintPatrick33 is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:39 PM
  #211
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
When they crack 300 goals in a season come back and talk to me about "run n' gun".....a term that applies to NO teams in the NHL right now.
They were 9th in GF last season. They did indeed employ an exciting offensive system. It would likely have been top 5 if they didn't can Wilson.

No NHL team last season reached 300 GF. So you're saying there were no exciting teams last season?

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:41 PM
  #212
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
They were 9th in GF last season. They did indeed employ an exciting offensive system. It would likely have been top 5 if they didn't can Wilson.

No NHL team last season reached 300 GF. So you're saying there were no exciting teams last season?
Like I said, get back to me when they crack 300 goals and we'll discuss "exciting".....

SaintPatrick33 is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:42 PM
  #213
Killion
Global Moderator
Semolina Pilchard
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eiffel Tower
Posts: 21,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
You can "run n' gun" 'til your eyeballs explode and it doesn't matter one bit if you can't put the puck in the back of the net.....something the Leafs find....ahem, "challenging".....
True enough, and a decade looking from the outside in every spring is certainly not something MLSE nor the faithful are particularly pleased about. However, better they should at least make the effort to provide Firewagon Hockey rather than fall back on the Left Wing Lock & Neutral Zone Trap's, playing a stifling game of defence which though very effective (as witness the Coyotes success of the past 2 seasons, Jersey & the Wild, Detroit in 94 etc) leaves much to be desired in terms of entertainment. Indeed, Toronto won its Cups in the 60's playing that style, Expansion teams in 67-68, most notably St.Louis under Bowman along with many that followed adopting same. The great neutraliser.

And plz... lets not make this "all about Toronto".

Killion is online now  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:43 PM
  #214
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Dreaming about a potential out in a lease isn't going to make that lease break occur. Lay off the fairy dust please.
Have you seen the lease ? I looked and could not find it but a reporter from Columbus ( who seemed pretty happy with the deal) apparently has seen the deal. I got wind of the penalty to bolt from him.

Did he include it to flesh out all of the Canadian vultures ?

Are you saying that if true, columbus is not as stable as you are trying to imply.?

sandysan is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:44 PM
  #215
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
True enough, and a decade looking from the outside in every spring is certainly not something MLSE nor the faithful are particularly pleased about. However, better they should at least make the effort to provide Firewagon Hockey rather than fall back on the Left Wing Lock & Neutral Zone Trap's, playing a stifling game of defence which though very effective (as witness the Coyotes success of the past 2 seasons, Jersey & the Wild, Detroit in 94 etc) leaves much to be desired in terms of entertainment. Indeed, Toronto won its Cups in the 60's playing that style, Expansion teams in 67-68, most notably St.Louis under Bowman along with many that followed adopting same. The great neutraliser.
Hence why I'd LOVE to see the trap banned Hell, if baseball could lower the flippin' mound in the early '70s.....

SaintPatrick33 is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:48 PM
  #216
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Have you seen the lease ? I looked and could not find it but a reporter from Columbus ( who seemed pretty happy with the deal) apparently has seen the deal. I got wind of the penalty to bolt from him.

Did he include it to flesh out all of the Canadian vultures ?

Are you saying that if true, columbus is not as stable as you are trying to imply.?
Funny how the only people who seem to think Columbus is going anywhere are the usual suspects who have this bizarre pipedream about moving all the US franchises to "more deserving" locations (read: above the 49th parallel).....

SaintPatrick33 is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:49 PM
  #217
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Have you seen the lease ? I looked and could not find it but a reporter from Columbus ( who seemed pretty happy with the deal) apparently has seen the deal. I got wind of the penalty to bolt from him.

Did he include it to flesh out all of the Canadian vultures ?

Are you saying that if true, columbus is not as stable as you are trying to imply.?
There was a previous thread where a poster going by mayor bee made the same assertion as you are now. Someone else linked to the article, if you want to read it you should be able to find it. The thread went from an assertion that it would cost 250 million to wrestle the jackets from nation wide, to well mabey 39 million plus all of the lawsuits from third parties. I'm not a lawyer but the last assertion was ( in my opinion) not well received. You should find the thread and read up on it so that the same things are not repeated twice.

sandysan is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:51 PM
  #218
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
There was a previous thread where a poster going by mayor bee made the same assertion as you are now. Someone else linked to the article, if you want to read it you should be able to find it. The thread went from an assertion that it would cost 250 million to wrestle the jackets from nation wide, to well mabey 39 million plus all of the lawsuits from third parties. I'm not a lawyer but the last assertion was ( in my opinion) not well received. You should find the thread and read up on it so that the same things are not repeated twice.
Apparently what hasn't crossed your mind is that Columbus not going anywhere has nothing to do with the lease......Call me crazy, but just because a lease has an out in it (regardless of the amount) doesn't mean the franchise is going anywhere.

SaintPatrick33 is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:52 PM
  #219
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Funny how the only people who seem to think Columbus is going anywhere are the usual suspects who have this bizarre pipedream about moving all the US franchises to "more deserving" locations (read: above the 49th parallel).....
If there were slam dunks like QC in Toronto 2 in the states, the jackets could move there. But there aren't. Tor2>>QC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everywhere else.

sandysan is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:53 PM
  #220
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Apparently what hasn't crossed your mind is that Columbus not going anywhere has nothing to do with the lease......Call me crazy, but just because a lease has an out in it (regardless of the amount) doesn't mean the franchise is going anywhere.
So why would they stay if their revenue problems dissapear? Civic pride???????

sandysan is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:53 PM
  #221
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
If there were slam dunks like QC in Toronto 2 in the states, the jackets could move there. But there aren't. Tor2>>QC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everywhere else.
You don't need to be a "slam dunk" to have a franchise. Have you seen the Blackhawks attendance figures from back in the '80s? Or the Red Wings?

SaintPatrick33 is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:55 PM
  #222
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
So why would they stay if their revenue problems dissapear? Civic pride???????
Why wouldn't they? The Penguins are still in Pittsburgh and they were a certified money loser 10 years ago.

SaintPatrick33 is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:58 PM
  #223
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Why wouldn't they? The Penguins are still in Pittsburgh and they were a certified money loser 10 years ago.
So lose money and hope to become the pens ( ignore the bare cupboard and the franchise player pleasing elsewhere) or got to tor2 or Quebec and start printing money as soon as the planes wheels touch down.

Yeah, there both the same upside.

sandysan is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 08:59 PM
  #224
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
You don't need to be a "slam dunk" to have a franchise. Have you seen the Blackhawks attendance figures from back in the '80s? Or the Red Wings?
Have you seen the yotes and the stars ?

sandysan is offline  
Old
01-02-2013, 09:00 PM
  #225
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
So lose money and hope to become the pens ( ignore the bare cupboard and the franchise player pleasing elsewhere) or got to tor2 or Quebec and start printing money as soon as the planes wheels touch down.

Yeah, there both the same upside.
Funny, but how profitable were the Bruins back in the '90s? How were their prospects when their franchise player was hoisting a cup with the Avalanche? How are they doing today?

SaintPatrick33 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.