HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mark Scheifele for Phil Kessel

Old
12-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Heista18*

vCash: 500
Mark Scheifele for Phil Kessel

I'm not going to pretend I know what Winnipeg needs, but I know what the Leafs need. Let's take a look at this potential deal up close by comparing the two main pieces.

Mark Scheifele is a 6'3 centre who brings size and skill to the table, something they obviously seem to lack in Winnipeg's prospect pool. He utilizes a combination of size, speed, smarts, skill, and vision. Playing against the best centers in the OHL every game, he seems to be learning quickly. Although playing in a losing environment on his current team, he most definitely is putting up some nice numbers.

Phil Kessel on the other hand, is proven. We all know this. Kessel is a marvel to watch. He combines dazzling moves with excellent hockey sense, tremendous poise and confidence with the puck, a tireless work ethic, and a very professional approach to the game. Kessel is a player who can make those around him better and has the ability to make things happen. His excellent hockey sense can assure you he won't be caught in the wrong position enabling him to be the recipient of a big, injuring hit (Hello 70-82 game seasons for the club). One attribute that immediately jumps out about Kessel is his extraordinary skating ability. His explosive speed and effortless strides are what set him apart from just about every other player in the nation. Another characteristic that makes Kessel such a highly-regarded player is the way he thinks the game. He is immensely smart and contains great vision. He has shown that he can read and anticipate plays quite well. Furthermore, he is very good at finding open spaces on the ice, knows just where the developing play is going, and where he needs to be.

Usually lost in this solely "high offensive firepower shooter" from mostly other peoples perspective, is his passing ability. He is a superb and extremely creative playmaker. He makes outstanding tape-to-tape passes and has little trouble finding open passing lanes. He has also demonstrated a keen sense of making the right decisions with the puck.

Fortunately for me, I don't put as much weight in the proven section as most would, I understand players by watching them, reading their personality types and whether or not the young prospect being targeted will thrive and learn to fulfill his draft pedigree. I truly believe Mark will.

On another note, I don't believe he will ever surpass Kessel's point totals. I look at the overall grand theme of things, the team. The Leafs need a centre of his caliber more than Kessel's elite offensive play on the wing. It's what I believe would benefit us with wins in the long run through overall team Chemistry.

And so, Winnipeg Jets GM's, I ask you, what are your thoughts on this proposal:

Mark Scheifele
2nd round draft pick 2013
1st round draft pick 2014

-For-

Phil Kessel

Keep in mind I put some EFFORT in, please do the same if you'd like to reply.

Keep in mind, I am weighing heavily on perry joining us.

Last edited by Heista18*: 12-29-2012 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Adding perry
Heista18* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Exit Dose

You would need to add more than two 2nds to Scheifele to get Kessel. Burke is not going to sell him cheap.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Badger Mayhew

vCash: 50
I think the Leafs only do this if they can sign Perry in the off-season.

EDIT: Instead of the two 2nd round picks, maybe Andrew Ladd?

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:48 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 1441
TOR could get more for him.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:51 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Phil Kessel is the only first-liner on the Leafs - Lupul had a nice year, but he's not a first-liner - they can't afford to trade Kessel for a prospect, even if that prospect is a very good one. I would think the Leafs would be looking to add to their roster, not take away from it.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:54 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heista18 View Post
I'm not going to pretend I know what Winnipeg needs, but I know what the Leafs need. Let's take a look at this potential deal up close by comparing the two main pieces.

Mark Scheifele is a 6'3 centre who brings size and skill to the table, something they obviously seem to lack in Winnipeg's prospect pool. He utilizes a combination of size, speed, smarts, skill, and vision. Playing against the best centers in the OHL every game, he seems to be learning quickly. Although playing in a losing environment on his current team, he most definitely is putting up some nice numbers.

Phil Kessel on the other hand, is proven. We all know this. Kessel is a marvel to watch. He combines dazzling moves with excellent hockey sense, tremendous poise and confidence with the puck, a tireless work ethic, and a very professional approach to the game. Kessel is a player who can make those around him better and has the ability to make things happen. His excellent hockey sense can assure you he won't be caught in the wrong position enabling him to be the recipient of a big, injuring hit (Hello 70-82 game seasons for the club). One attribute that immediately jumps out about Kessel is his extraordinary skating ability. His explosive speed and effortless strides are what set him apart from just about every other player in the nation. Another characteristic that makes Kessel such a highly-regarded player is the way he thinks the game. He is immensely smart and contains great vision. He has shown that he can read and anticipate plays quite well. Furthermore, he is very good at finding open spaces on the ice, knows just where the developing play is going, and where he needs to be.

Usually lost in this solely "high offensive firepower shooter" from mostly other peoples perspective, is his passing ability. He is a superb and extremely creative playmaker. He makes outstanding tape-to-tape passes and has little trouble finding open passing lanes. He has also demonstrated a keen sense of making the right decisions with the puck.

Fortunately for me, I don't put as much weight in the proven section as most would, I understand players by watching them, reading their personality types and whether or not the young prospect being targeted will thrive and learn to fulfill his draft pedigree. I truly believe Mark will.

On another note, I don't believe he will ever surpass Kessel's point totals. I look at the overall grand theme of things, the team. The Leafs need a centre of his caliber more than Kessel's elite offensive play on the wing. It's what I believe would benefit us with wins in the long run through overall team Chemistry.

And so, Winnipeg Jets GM's, I ask you, what are your thoughts on this proposal:

Mark Scheifele
2nd round draft pick 2013
2nd round draft pick 2014

-For-

Phil Kessel

Keep in mind I put some EFFORT in, please do the same if you'd like to reply.
So let me get this straight.

Burke gives up:

Seguin
Hamilton
Knight

-for-

Scheifele
2nd
2nd

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Heista18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
I'd like to build my team with chemistry. Guy's I'd like. Stick to this proposal please.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:56 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
yep that is true

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:57 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
I'd like to build my team with chemistry. Guy's I'd like. Stick to this proposal please.
I think it's a good start. Remove the picks, then add Kane or Bogosian. Leafs might listen then (value wise, not considering needs).

Kessel is legit. He's star without a legit center, imagine with a proper center feeding him the puck.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:58 PM
bobbyflex

makes no sense. Leafs are in win-now mode. Burke's job is on the line. He's not trading away his only 1st-liner for futures, as good as a prospect Scheifele is

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:59 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
I think it's a good start. Remove the picks, then add Kane or Bogosian. Leafs might listen then.

Kessel is legit. He's star without a legit center, imagine with a proper center feeding him the puck.
Kessel for Kane. Now that's something I'd consider

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:00 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Winnipeg says yes and I quietly chuckle at the timing of this proposal.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Heista18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Phil Kessel is the only first-liner on the Leafs - Lupul had a nice year, but he's not a first-liner - they can't afford to trade Kessel for a prospect, even if that prospect is a very good one. I would think the Leafs would be looking to add to their roster, not take away from it.
This adds to the squad as soon as the season starts up. He is ready. Improves the formation of the team for the future.

Old
Badger Mayhew

vCash: 50
Kane+Scheifele for Kessel is definitely an overpayment, which is why I thought Ladd+Scheifele was more reasonable.

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:01 PM
surixon

As a Jets fan I'm wondering why the Leafs would do this, really doesn't make sense for them.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:04 PM
HavlatMach9

Actually upon reconsidering, this is a great deal. No need to ever worry about Kessel sniping endlessly on the Sens, welcome to Toronto Scheifele.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
makes no sense. Leafs are in win-now mode. Burke's job is on the line. He's not trading away his only 1st-liner for futures, as good as a prospect Scheifele is
I gotta say, they sure had me fooled.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
I think Winnipeg would have to add, maybe Little or something to keep the Leafs current forward group at least quasi-presentable.

Picks do nothing for nobody.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:10 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
This adds to the squad as soon as the season starts up. He is ready. Improves the formation of the team for the future.
How does trading a proven, 35-goal, 70-80 point forward, for a prospect, make the Leafs better when the season starts? Don't the Leafs want to make the playoffs? You're going to rely on Schiefele as your #1 centre to take you there? It's not going to happen.

Schiefele's a very good prospect, but he's not going to step into the NHL and dominate.. I would think 50 points is even a tad too optimistic, especially if his wingers are Lupul and.. Kulemin? MacArthur?

Even if you believe Schiefele will be better than Kessel in the future, the Leafs still don't make the deal because they need to make the playoffs now.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Heista18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
As a Jets fan I'm wondering why the Leafs would do this, really doesn't make sense for them.
I explained it. Reading comprehension I think is what it's called. You're losing a few points of productions, quite possibly around 25-30 for the first little while, but it makes us a better team in my mind when we get our other wings in the system. Perry is also my target.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Heista18*

Quote:
How does trading a proven, 35-goal, 70-80 point forward, for a prospect, make the Leafs better when the season starts? Don't the Leafs want to make the playoffs? You're going to rely on Schiefele as your #1 centre to take you there? It's not going to happen.

Schiefele's a very good prospect, but he's not going to step into the NHL and dominate.. I would think 50 points is even a tad too optimistic, especially if his wingers are Lupul and.. Kulemin? MacArthur?

Even if you believe Schiefele will be better than Kessel in the future, the Leafs still don't make the deal because they need to make the playoffs now.
I meant adds as in replaces. He's ready so he still steps in at a centre role. Of course it might be a minor set back in terms of goals for, but the future would be better with him as a centre on the team. Burke has too much support if this went through to ever be fired. He's loved by all of upper management and owners.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Jax Teller

This is bad value for Kessel. No interest.

Jax Teller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Heista18*

Keep in mind, I am weighing heavily on perry joining us. That should make more sense for everybody.

Old
12-28-2012, 07:21 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
I meant adds as in replaces. He's ready so he still steps in at a centre roll. Of course it might be a minor set back in terms of goals for, but the future would be better with him as a centre on the team I think.
The Leafs future might be better if Schiefele pans out. But why take the risk if you're the Leafs? You know what you have in Kessel, you can't guarantee that Schiefele will be a 2nd line centre in the NHL, nevermind a star player.. so why are the Leafs making this trade? Because they might be able to sign Corey Perry? I just don't see the logic. Why not, if you're so concerned with finding a centre, trade Kessel for a proven centre in the NHL? Or maybe trade him for the rights to Getzlaf and Perry when/if the season starts up?

Old
12-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Heista18*

Quote:
The Leafs future might be better if Schiefele pans out. But why take the risk if you're the Leafs? You know what you have in Kessel, you can't guarantee that Schiefele will be a 2nd line centre in the NHL, nevermind a star player.. so why are the Leafs making this trade? Because they might be able to sign Corey Perry? I just don't see the logic. Why not, if you're so concerned with finding a centre, trade Kessel for a proven centre in the NHL? Or maybe trade him for the rights to Getzlaf and Perry when/if the season starts up?
Because Scheifele is the guy i'm targeting. He will be a factor in the NHL also. It's not a toss in the air if you know what you're looking at when analyzing a player.