HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

50 Albums of Somewhat-Relevant Distinction for 2012

Old
12-31-2012, 05:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
50 Albums of Somewhat-Relevant Distinction for 2012

In time for New Year's viewing, to some degree, it's what you're waiting for. I can't guarantee everything was properly proofread.

Preamble
It was an alright year. Like last year, nothing here is truly amazing. None of this is absolute greatness. The less-good part of the list are muddled with a lot of bands of outfits you've seen before, either because I didn't find as many new things, and also because some of the most regarded artists weren't on their game on their most recent album. That's something I'd like to change for next year. This is about sharing, writing, and some originality. Love or hate, ultimately that's why you're here, just ask Eklund. This is the 4th time I've done this, so I've seen some other places and things where I'll submit this again once I change the markup. Breaking this up, probably 1-6 is on the most elite level, 7-17ish is another tier, and then 18ish-low 30s, before the end.

Previous Lists

The List

50. Yukon Blonde - Tiger Talk; March 20 (Vancouver, BC)
A different version of Band of Horses.
Favorite Song: My Girl

49. Ellie Goulding - Halcyon; October 5 (Lyonshall, England)
This is a little closer to what I thought we’d get when she released her debut album two years ago. Bonus consideration for landing on the "Girls" trailer for Season 2.
Favorite Song: Anything Can Happen

48. The Shins - Port of Morrow; March 20 (Portland, OR)
James Mercer should stick with this.
Favorite Song: Simple Song

47. Swear and Shake - Maple Ridge; April 17 (New York, NY)
New band from Long Island, came across this billed as a free download.
Favorite Song: These White Walls

46. M. Ward - A Wasteland Companion; April 10 (Portland, OR)
This album was actually the highest M.Ward has charted in the US, and averaged 1.5 songs per recording location.
Favorite Song: Primitive Girl

45. Yeasayer - Fragrant World; August 20 (Brooklyn, NY)
They have a sound that’s like new-age Human League 1982 version.
Favorite Song: Reagan’s Skeleton

44. The Raveonettes - Observator, September 11 (Copenhagen, Denmark)
I actually liked this a little bit better than their last effort, but it’s almost the second album in a row I almost didn’t get the album. Also, they were #44 last year too.
Favorite Song: She Owns the Streets

43. The Tallest Man on Earth - There’s No Leaving Now; June 11 (Leksand, Sweden)
I liked Kristian Mattson’s third album a little more than the first two, and the lyrics took a different direction as well.
Favorite Song: 1904

42. First Aid Kit - The Lion’s Roar; January 27 (Stockholm, Sweden)
Swedish folk sisters are better than Laura Marling. By the way, is this were Sweden is headed?
Favorite Song: Emmylou

41. Ingrid Michaelson - Human Again; January 24 (New York, NY)
Somewhere between folk and indie pop resides this singer-songwriter, whose linked song “Ghost” I thought would end up being one of the major hits of the year in the same was “Rolling in the Deep” was year, both because I think it’s that good and I thought more people would have been more in love with the song. Alas, it remains a hidden gem and one of my 5 or 6 favorite songs of the year.
Favorite Song: Ghost

40. Band of Horses - Mirage Rock; September 18 (Seattle, WA)
Band of Horses seem to have returned to their means of the past, with the apex being 2010’s Infinite Arms (#6) on the list. On that album there was 4 or 5 songs that really captured me. On this one, there was maybe 2 surrounded by mere consistency.
Favorite Song: Knock Knock

39. The Walkmen - Heaven; May 29 (New York, NY)
Lost a bit of interest this time around, because I don’t think there has been as many fresh
Favorite Song: Heaven

38. Islands - A Sleep & A Forgetting; February 14 (Montreal, QC)
Islands at this point have become indie contemporary easy-listening. Around this point on the list, the weight of the best song weighs heavy, and Hallways is a strong song.
Favorite Song: Hallways

37. Jack White - Blunderbuss; April 23 (Nashville, TN)
Jack White has never been one of my favorites, but I’ve always respected that he doesn’t ever really put out anything subpar.
Favorite Song: Sixteen Saltines

36. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don’t Bend! Ascend!; October 1 (Montreal, Quebec)
It’s an experience, for sure.
Favorite Song: Mladic

35. Grace Potter & the Nocturnals - The Lion the Beast the Beat; June 12 (Montpelier, VT)
Grace Potter changed up the sound of her band somewhat to a more experimental sound, which includes a haunting gem called “Loneliest Soul.”
Favorite Song: Loneliest Soul

34. The Wallflowers - Glad All Over; October 9 (Los Angeles, CA)
It’s been 7 years since the Wallflowers released their most recent album, and 16 years since Bringing Down the Horse was a breakthrough success. Rare for a band (despite some different pieces) to recapture at least most of the sound after so much time.
Favorite Song: Reboot the Mission

33. Father John Misty - Fear Fun; May 1 (Los Angeles, CA)
Imagine if this was Fehr Fun. NHL Lockout-inspired Experimental Folk.
Favorite Song: Hollywood Forever Cemetary Sings

32. Stars - The North; September 4 (Toronto, ON)
I’m not terribly familiar with Stars, I did get their last album but it didn’t make the 2010 list. In the past I read that people were down on them, so they got a little bit brighter. I linked the lead single/track, but also give a listen to “Hold On When You Get Love and Let Go When You Give It.”
Favorite Song: Theory of Relativity

31. Passion Pit - Gossamer, July 20 (Cambridge, MA)
The second effort from Passion Pit was more or less the same as the first, aside from it not sounding like it was the first time they’ve done it,
Favorite Song: Mirrored Sea

30. Purity Ring - Shrines; July 24 (Edmonton, AB)
They call themselves “future pop” on Facebook. I think they create a synthpop sound out of not wanting to be dubstep. Caught my attention at times, but I’m not sure if they’ll keep it. True to form, those from Edmonton are 30th.
Favorite Song: Fineshrine

29. Sun Airway - Soft Fall; September 28 (Philadelphia, PA)
I’m not sure what you call Sun Airway, but lead single “Close” is mesermizing.
Favorite Song: Close

28. Animal Collective - Centipede Hz; September 4 (Baltimore, MD)
One can’t be too critical since it’s their 9th album, and Merriweather Post Pavillion is considered among the best of the decade (#2 in 2009). Not everything can be AOTY-type material, and this is not up to that level.
Favroite Song: Monkey Riches

27. Satellite Stories - Phrases to Break the Ice; September 21 (Oulu, Finland)
I hadn’t gotten the Two Door Cinema Club album, and then I caught wind of this band from Finland, and decided they were a better version, on top of being from Finland.
Favorite Song: Helsinki Art Scene

26. Gotye - Making Mirrors; January 31 (Melbourne, Australia)
I know. People were sick of “Somebody That I Used to Know.” I did too. Once I wasn’t sick of him anymore, I decided I thought the rest of the album reveals a versatile musician that not as many people discovered because one song engulfed the entire existence.
Favorite Song: In Your Light

25. Metric - Synthetica; June 12 (Toronto, ON)
The Metric faithful seem to be split as to how good. I don’t think the same magic is there from Fantasies, but it is worth its space.
Favorite Song: Dreams So Real

24. Kopecky Family Band - Kids Raising Kids; October 23 (Nashville, TN)
At their best, it seems they have satisfied the buzz they got coming out of last year’s SXSW. They also released a double EP, which some songs should be on the album. At worst, Tomas Kopecky has a ready-made moonlighting project. Only Kelsey (vocals) is named Kopecky.
Favorite Song: My Way

23. Jens Lekman - I Know What Love Isn’t; September 3 (Gothenburg, Sweden)
This was my introduction of sorts to Jens Lekman. I will say that he goes into great detail, which is fine because for most people it would be a criticism of cheesy songwriting.
Favorite Song: The World Moves On

22. Hot Chip - In Our Heads; June 6 (London, England)
One of the more ornate long-running bands around. I don’t know if they do much to distinguish themselves from one work to the next, but the right bands don’t need to
Favorite Song: Motion Sickness

21. Best Coast - The Only Place; May 15 (Los Angeles, CA)
The potential is there for Best Coast to make it really big as a commercial alternative outfit, this is a more matured album. At least some of the songs on this album are over three minutes. They’ve pretty much mastered the lo-fi California sound. Themes so far have been a puppy dog crush, and growing up. What’s next?
Favorite Song: The Only Place

20. Of Monsters and Men - My Head Is an Animal; April 13 (Reykjavik, Iceland)
This album was released in 2011, but it’s North America release wasn’t until this April, so it makes the list. I’m not sure how big the band is elsewhere, but they’re huge in Philly. It’s like they’re the new Weezer, just not. I think on their first North American tour, they needed to schedule a second show because the demand was so high. Radio 104.5 here in Philly has gotten credit for being the discoverer of the band.
Favorite Song: Little Talks (from KEXP)

19. Twin Shadow - Confess; July 9 (New York, NY)
Essentially sounds like what you would get if you remixed Joy Division into synthpop.
Favorite Song: Five Seconds

18. Tame Impala - Lonerism; October 5 (Perth, Australia)
Worth all the acclaim that it gets from critics and music fans alike. I just simply liked 17 other albums more than it.
Favorite Song: Apocalypse Dreams

17. Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory; January 24 (Cleveland, OH)
If you’re going to keep reading, there’s another album upcoming which will highlight this, but Cloud Nothings (who I can’t say I heard of before about September) turns back the clock in some ways to a grungy sound of the early 90s. And that makes sense because Steve Albini produced the album.
Favorite Song: Stay Useless

16. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do; June 19 (New York, NY)
I’ve seen people claim this is Fiona Apple’s best work. Can’t really agree with that, but she had a refreshing presence this year.
Favorite Song: Anything We Want

15. Grizzly Bear - Shields; September 8 (Brooklyn, NY)
Grizzly Bear doing what they do to the standard we expect. Many contemporaries can’t say that this year.
Favorite Song: Sleeping Ute

14. Turning violet Violet - Double Cure; May 22 (Philadelphia, PA)
This is my local pick of the year. After my favorite local Philly band East Hundred broke up while recording their second album, I had to discover someone knew. Turning violet Violet most struck a chord with me in that respect. The best way I can compare is to take the now-defunct East Hundred and mix in some Camera Obscura with Cults’ Madeline Follin’s voice.
Favorite Song: Cold Bread

13. The xx - Coexist; September 11 (London, England)
Someone told me after the album came out that if I liked the xx’s first album xx (#11 in 2009), then I would like this just the same. That was more or less correct, although admittedly I had expectations a bit higher than that. I was hoping I’d be blown away, it was going to be brighter and almost with a club-vibe, but it is simply second quality nocturnal album. If I redid the 2009 list, xx would definitely higher, so hopefully this one grows as well.
Favorite Song: Chained

12. Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan; July 10 (Brooklyn, NY)
A running theme for a lot of the indie rockers this year was that they peeled back layers and became more accessible. “Gun Has No Trigger” is a classic case of drawing you into the rest of the album, and is one of the best songs of the year. Amber Coffman is one of just my absolute favorites.
Favorite Song: Gun Has No Trigger

11. Memory Tapes - Grace/Confusion; December 4 (New Jersey)
If this looks like a typo or awkward, it is/isn’t, because Memory Tapes’ Player Piano was #11 last year, too. It also may be a criticism of the year or a compliment to the album that an album released less than a month ago made it this high on the list.
Favorite Song: Sheila

10. Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE; July 10 (New Orleans, LA)
Enough has been said about Frank Ocean this year. No matter what his past is or who or wrote for and/or worked with, it’s a quality, versatile R&B/soul album, for a genre that has lost some of it (soul) or its place in the spectrum in the most recent generation. It’s its own self.
Favorite Song: Pyramids

9. Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror; February 21 (Brooklyn, NY)
One theme in the top 10 is a trend of a band stepping back from their grainy and noisy sounds, along with sometimes inaudible vocals in order for listeners to access their emotions. Sleigh Bells themselves followed up their excellent debut Treats (#2 in 2010), with a record that was merely very good. What I’ve been reading is that Alexis Krauss seems to be finishing albums without ever actually finishing what she wants to put on the album. Given the quality we’ve been getting, I actually find that exciting, because they might be coming back again in 2013.
Favorite Song: Comeback Kid

8. The Lumineers - Eponymous; April 3 (Denver, CO)
You’ve all heard them enough by now. Some people get sick of those who gain commercial success fast out of the gate. People label it typical hipster garbage, but that’s par for the course for anything that would otherwise be considered “alternative.” It sort of worked the opposite for me. Each listen I’ve liked it a little more than each time before it. Stubborn Love is one of my favorite songs of the year, and for sure goes on my ‘Best of 2012’ playlist.
Favorite Song: Stubborn Love

7. Beach House - Bloom; May 15 (Baltimore, MD)
When Beach House released Teen Dream 2 years ago (#3), it was early in the year, got countless plays, and stuck with me the entire year. I can’t really say Bloom did the same thing for me, but it was as enchanting as it’s predecessor. It just doesn’t have the tracks like “Norway” and “Zebra” that completely grab hold of you, at least not as much. That’s not a bad thing, of course, but those ahead of it on the list had those types of tracks that did more to do so.
Favorite Song: Myth

6. Crystal Castles - (III); November 8 (Toronto, ON)
Crystal Castles are a challenging band to listen to. Most often the band has been criticized for their inaccessibility, but they brought it back a bit with their third technically eponymous album. This time around, they’ve given the listener some room to breathe within the album, and themselves in turn, profoundly so. Oppression was a self-described theme, and if their first two albums are thought of like a band having trouble expression, this one finally breaks down those walls. Difficult task between picking “Affection” or “Sad Eyes,” or 3 or 4 other tracks, really. Favorite Song: Affection

5. Grimes - Visions, February 25 (Montreal, QC)
The pseudonym for Claire Boucher, Grimes was one of the most anticipated artists coming into 2012, and she definitely delivered. It is self-described as “ADD music,” but I think it most closely compares as a softer, if not more delicate Lykke Li (even in looks, she is very small in general), with a more electronic action. The album starts off sounding like you jumped in the middle of song, especially since it’s less than 2 minutes.
Favorite Song: Oblivion"

4. Brandi Carlile - Bear Creek; June 5 (Seattle, WA)
I first caught on to Brandi Carlile at the very end of 2009, where I put her last album, Give Up the Ghost at #49 on the list. Since then she’s grown to become one of my favorite singer-sonwriters, and probably my favorite folk/alt-country singer. She also wrote some of the best messages of the year, highlighted in songs like “Keep Your Heart Young,” while “Hard Way Home” is a neat track to sing along with (for some of us, as long as it within the confines of your car). Versatility is also shown off in “100” and closing track “Just Kids.” It came out just in time for summer, which meant it got some bonus extra plays.
Favorite Song: Hard Way Home

3. Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man; May 10 (London, England)
A genre once described as “magical,” Natasha Khan’s third album reaches its full potential, in my opinion. The Haunted Man connected with me pretty much before the album came out, and the rest of it hooked me in the first time I heard it. Most of what I’ve seen written concurs that it is at least as comparable as 2009’s Two Suns (#20 that year). Picking a favorite song was almost impossible, but “Laura” is the most resonant despite the lack of instruments used.
Favorite Song: Laura

2. Chromatics - Kill for Love; March 26 (Portland, OR)
Been waiting for Chromatics for a couple years now after hearing 2007’s Night Drive, which includes an amazing version of Kate Bush’s “Running Up that Hill.” Needless to say, I wasn’t disappointed. It begins with a cover of Neil Young’s “Into the Black,” and it’s clear that the band knows covers. I wouldn’t say it’s a concept album, but it isn’t one where you should listen to one song. Make some time though, because if you include the final track, 14-minute “No Escape,” it’s a 92-minute album. Very dark, and nocturnal, I found its best listening late at night, or during a rainy day.
Favorite Song: Bird of Paradise

1. Japandroids - Celebration Rock; June 5 (Vancouver, BC)
Sometimes you have to release an album at just the right time, and Vancouver’s Japandroids did just that with their 2nd effort. The year was in a lull most of the first half of the year, and I was ready for something to really strike me. This was one of the albums that carried through the summer, as it really is a summer-sounding album. It is just as noisy but more focused than their first album Post-Nothing (#40 in 2009). With only 8 tracks, it is a unique, rustic quality over quantity. Maybe one of the most interesting things is that it turns back the clock on noise rock and grunge than forward with electronics. It is only a guitar, a set of drums, and vocals of just Brian King and David Prowse. Nothing wrong with keeping it simple, as a lot of bands and people didn’t this year.
Favorite Song: The House That Heaven Built

Conclusion
Ultimately, for 2013, I'd like to look to other places - Europe and the Pacific Northwest, mainly. Three of the top four come from Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver, which even just culturally, the region is more progressive. Looking ahead to 2013, it looks like some of the heavy hitters in the industry will be releasing stuff.

Numbers
By Month
January: 4 (-2)
February: 3 (-4)
March: 3 (-2)
April: 4 (-4)
May: 5 (-2)
June: 7 (+3)
July: 5 (+4)
August: 1 (-)
September: 9 (-)
October: 5 (-)
November: 1 (+1)
December: 1 (-)

Countries: 8 (-3)
United States: 28 (+6)
Canada: 9 (-)
England: 4 (-3)
Sweden: 3 (-1)
Australia: 2 (-)
Denmark: 1 (-)
Finland: 1 (-)
Iceland: 1 (-)

States: 13 (+2)
New York: 7 (+2)
California: 3 (-)
Oregon: 2 (+2)
Washington: 2 (+2)
Maryland: 2 (+2)
Pennsylvania: 2 (-)
Tennessee: 2 (+2)
Colorado: 1 (+1)
Louisiana: 1 (+1)
New Jersey: 1 (-)
Ohio: 1 (-)
Massachusetts: 1 (-)
Vermont: 1 (+1)

Provinces: 4 (-)
Quebec: 3 (+2)
Ontario: 3 (-2)
British Columbia: 2 (-)
Alberta: 1 (+1)

Awards
Song of the Year
"The House That Heaven Built” by Japandroids

Debut of the Year
Grimes (It’s her first real widespread LP release but does have two other records to her name)

First One Out (If only the list were 51 long)
Beirut - The Rip Tide

Song of the Year Not Represented on the List
“Get Free” by Major Lazer f/ Amber Coffman

Endurance Test
"No Escape” by Chromatics

Best Album Art
Kill for Love by Chromatics (don’t feel that strongly about any one though)

Song Title of the Year
"Exorcismic Breeding Knife" by of Montreal

Most Disappointing Album
Paralytic Stalks by of Montreal

Worst Album of the Year
Anyone of the three Green Day put out. Just...stop.

Instrumental Song of the Year
Dust to Dust by Chromatics

Music Scene of the Year
New York and it’s Burroughs. I’ve been able to spread it out in the past, but not enough was there.

Best Region for Music
Pacific Northwest, if you put Vancouver in with Seattle and Portland. There’s a lot of quality.

Best Music Video Uninfluenced by Aubrey Plaza
Fiona Apple - Every Single Night

Best Use of Aubrey Plaza
“Hollywood Forever Cemetary Sings” by Father John Misty

Best Use of Terrance Stamp
“Night and Day” by Hot Chip

Best Use of Zab Judah
“Get Free” by Major Lazer f/ Amber Coffman

Best Use of McGill University Football Team
“Oblivion” by Grimes

Best Use of a LA Kings Jersey
Bobb Bruno of Best Coast in “The Only Place”

Best Use of a Stanley Cup Champions Tee Shirt
Bobb Bruno of Best Coast in “Do You Love Me Like You Used To”

Best Album by American Singer/Outfit
Bear Creek by Brandi Carlile...didn’t see that one coming.

Hottest Swede
Johanna Söderberg, for lack of options

Canada
Don’t worry about the “great acts of yesteryear” winding down. 3 of the top 6 are Canadian, and a lot of new stuff coming in 2013.

Kevin Barnes
What the hell, man?

Song Parody of the Year
Call the Union by Harrison Mooney

Spencer Krug
Time for new Sunset Rubdown, man.

Best Kopecky
Kelsey Kopecky of Kopecky Family Band - the only Kopecky in the Band

Not in Kopecky Family Band
Tomas Kopecky of the Florida Panthers

Big McLargehuge
Post, some kind of list, man.

Patrick Robinson
Still Awful

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:01 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

vCash: 500
My favourite part of the year!

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Protest the Hero

Celebration Rock still hasn't grabbed me, good, enjoyable album, but for some reason I don't feel strongly about it in anyway, enjoyed Metz much more for a similar sound.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Ceremony
smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

vCash: 47148
Although there's probably a difference because of location, the fact that I only have one album on this list (Synthetica) and 10 that were released this year shows just how much I've really gone off music in 2012. Nothing's made me care the way it has in the past, which is really sad. Hopefully it picks up next year.

12-31-2012, 06:57 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

I really wish I had the motivation to slog through it again this time...I may just make a brief Top 20 just because I feel the need to do something. Had I gone full-scale this may be our most different year yet. Most of what I'd put in my top 10 is found in your #5-20 range, though, so that's still pretty regular, but more of your top albums wouldn't make my list at all.

Your #1 wouldn't appear on my list. I don't like the Japandroids and no matter how many people tell me they're amazing I just can't get into them.

Honestly I'd probably put your #20 as my #1 this year if not for the fact that I put it in my list last year.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 07:04 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

The Rip Tide was a 2011 release.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Garo

First Aid Kit, better than Laura Marling? Watch what you're saying.

(I write that, but wait to see where it is on my list )

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:43 PM
bitenuker

Brandi Carlile's album is absolutely fabulous.

bitenuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:22 PM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Love the effort you put into these... I'll make it a mission to slog through every one of these albums over the next few weeks as I recognize a bit less than a third of them and like, maybe, 5/50 of them.

(and in a spirit completely contrary to this thread: the song that has been running through my head all week and especially tonight and which will accompany me into 2013 is none other than 1997's Semi-Charmed Life. Ouf.)

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:33 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

song parody of the year:

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

I thought "Making Mirrors" was actually pretty weak outside of 3-4 songs. It struck me as a really solid EP extended to full album length with filler.

I didn't know Passion Pit and Wallflowers had new material, I'll have to fire up my Zune account and take a look.

I second Monsters and Men; I really enjoyed their album and can listen to "Little Talks" and be pleased at any time.

01-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Acadmus

Not sure I get what this list is about...not a "50 best of 2012"?

Keane's Strangeland was simply put one of the best albums I've heard in the last decade. Doesn't deserve to be overlooked.

01-01-2013, 09:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Celebration Rock still hasn't grabbed me, good, enjoyable album, but for some reason I don't feel strongly about it in anyway, enjoyed Metz much more for a similar sound.
I didn't actually hear about them until the end of year lists, and then my hard drive crashed so I never heard the album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I really wish I had the motivation to slog through it again this time...I may just make a brief Top 20 just because I feel the need to do something. Had I gone full-scale this may be our most different year yet. Most of what I'd put in my top 10 is found in your #5-20 range, though, so that's still pretty regular, but more of your top albums wouldn't make my list at all.

Your #1 wouldn't appear on my list. I don't like the Japandroids and no matter how many people tell me they're amazing I just can't get into them.

Honestly I'd probably put your #20 as my #1 this year if not for the fact that I put it in my list last year.
It's kind of funny because that would make 2 of my #1 albums that miss your list and 2 that were the same. I felt it was a challenge for the whole list because it sort of got mediocre with how many people did't produce what they've shown in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
First Aid Kit, better than Laura Marling? Watch what you're saying.

(I write that, but wait to see where it is on my list )
Laura Marling doesn't grab me for some reason. I don't dislike her, just don't really care one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagination View Post
Brandi Carlile's album is absolutely fabulous.
Like I mentioned, she's really become one of my favorites, and I'm kind of mad I missed her this year. Each album has gotten better, and she's been looking for crossover appeal, so it's working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I thought "Making Mirrors" was actually pretty weak outside of 3-4 songs. It struck me as a really solid EP extended to full album length with filler.

I didn't know Passion Pit and Wallflowers had new material, I'll have to fire up my Zune account and take a look.

I second Monsters and Men; I really enjoyed their album and can listen to "Little Talks" and be pleased at any time.
I thought the same thing about Gotye until I listened again later on in the year. I don't think he'll hold my attention, but I don't think radio overkill of two songs should define him either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Not sure I get what this list is about...not a "50 best of 2012"?

Keane's Strangeland was simply put one of the best albums I've heard in the last decade. Doesn't deserve to be overlooked.
I don't like calling the list itself "best" because it's not the same as "favorite." No one will ever agree on "best," and it's just easier to call it something else. Each title has been tongue-in-cheek basically.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Verschtunken

Mmm, I really liked Paralytic Stalks. Exorcismic Breeding Knife is terrible, but it is the only weak song on the album to me. I felt they really pulled off the last song.

Celebration Rock just missed my top 10, but the band had one of my top 5 live performances of the year. So intense.

Great work!

Verschtunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:09 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

What a sad state music is in.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:33 PM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
We're in a golden age of music. Self-production and self-distribution have changed the landscape forever. It's awfully simple-minded for you to assert that music is "bad" when it's never, ever been better than it is today. You just have to find it.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:39 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
We're in a golden age of music. Self-production and self-distribution have changed the landscape forever. It's awfully simple-minded for you to assert that music is "bad" when it's never, ever been better than it is today. You just have to find it.
Maybe he found it and still doesn't like it.

ToddRundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:03 PM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
Maybe he found it and still doesn't like it.
He's found all the music of today and doesn't like it? Bull.

Old
01-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Protest the Hero

2012 was a disappointing year in music for me, I think there are only 3 albums I feel really strongly about.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:38 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Sorry but any list without Rush's Clockwork Angels is a bad list.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Omnomnomnom

My biggest disappointment musically this year was Gossamer. Not that it was a bad album, as it was good, but rather that I think I expected a lot more after Manners, and I didn't get it. That and 'Take a Walk' is just a kinda boring, especially compared to 'The Reeling' and 'Sleepyhead'.

Omnomnomnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 06:01 PM
BPR*

I found the Best Coast album to be crazy disappointing. I saw them three times during their never ending tour for the debut album and didn't bother seeing them this time around even though they played five minutes from my apartment once. Admittedly my favorite stuff from them was the crazy lo-fi, almost shoegaze EPs and singles from before the first album, so they might just be evolving past my preferred sound.
The xx record was good, but a step down from the first one to me. That's about it for records on this list I have an opinion on.

Not related to this list specifically, but I'm shocked by how many end of year lists I've seen without Tanlines-Mixed Emotions. I personally think it's excellent and I heard a lot of hype for it around its release from music sites and the all important hip college kids demographic, yet I haven't seen it on any lists.

BPR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 06:39 PM
DJ Spinoza

I don't have a list to contribute, but some albums I liked that I haven't seen mentioned are:

Andrew Bird - Break it Yourself / Three White Horses
alt J - An Awesome Wave
Dirty Three - Towards the Low Sun
Heartless ******** - Arrow
Polica - Give You the Ghost

I really enjoyed both of the Andrew Bird releases, although I admit that I'm a fanboy. I suppose Three White Horses is more of an EP, but I'd put the song "Hole in the Ocean Floor" up there with any of his best work. I just picked up the alt J album recently, but like it a lot so far.

I also have yet to really get Japandroids, and not for lack of trying. I'd probably have Dirty Projectors #1, or Andrew Bird. I liked his album better than any since Armchair Apocrypha.

DJ Spinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
It's awfully simple-minded for you to assert that music is "bad" when it's never, ever been better than it is today.
....but isn't it equally as narrow-minded for you to assert that music has never, ever been better than it is today? I'm not sure I've heard an album all year that I ever felt like I'd want to listen to again, and the sample size was anything but small.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:13 PM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
....but isn't it equally as narrow-minded for you to assert that music has never, ever been better than it is today? I'm not sure I've heard an album all year that I ever felt like I'd want to listen to again, and the sample size was anything but small.
It might be an overblown statement but it's not narrowminded. The whole premise of my argument is that there is just SO much more music than ever before in history. The music is self-produced (a very recent development) and self-distributed (also very recent) unlike the stifling record company-format. There are just so many artists that no matter what your sample size, you're bound to miss out on a lot of good songs and albums.

Quote:
Is just simple-minded no matter how you slice it.