HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v24: Rudy Gay/Hamed Haddadi for Ed Davis/Jose Calderon swap imminent

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Eytinge

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Right now the playoff race in the East is so tight.

Brooklyn is in #7, and with a coaching change coming up it could spark them to start pushing up.
Philly is in #8, and thats with out Bynum dominating the paint
Boston is in #9, and have been slumping but with Rondo/Garnet/Pierce you never know when they can turn it back up and push back into a playoff spot

We got past the easier targets but moving past Boston and staying ahead of them is going to be a battle.
When is Bynum due back?

Old
01-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
When is Bynum due back?
I believe he's out for the rest of the season.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:18 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
I believe he's out for the rest of the season.
I don't think that's certain. I think it's more than he could be out the rest of the season, or he could come back before then, nobody's sure.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows..."
Old
01-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I don't think that's certain. I think it's more than he could be out the rest of the season, or he could come back before then, nobody's sure.
Oh. I thought I heard he was gone for the season. Was just coming back to edit it because I searched online and didnt see anything. Thanks!

Old
01-03-2013, 04:55 PM
The Kessel Run

Why would anyone want Kleiza or Gray in their 2nd unit. Both of these players should be relegated to Mark Madsen duty.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:59 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kessel Run View Post
Why would anyone want Kleiza or Gray in their 2nd unit. Both of these players should be relegated to Mark Madsen duty.
I actually like Gray.

He does alot of good things out there. Takes up a ton of room down low, can pretty much matchup defensively with any big man in the league (especially 2nd unit guys). He also knows his limits... he doesn't go KHump on us and try to take over offensively. Sets a good example for guys too, always working hard (heck he has to because his actual talent level is so low )

Sure you can do better, but you can do alot worse.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:26 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
Oh. I thought I heard he was gone for the season. Was just coming back to edit it because I searched online and didnt see anything. Thanks!
This is the last update.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/87...-return-season

he can practice somewhat now, but it's still not certain if/when he could come back.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Cool Hand Luke

You guys didn't like my first one (understandably)...
Is this one better?
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bk9eoye
Can't show this in the Trade Machine, but I would add a protected 1st from Washington.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:31 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Is this one better?
Can't show this in the Trade Machine, but I would add a protected 1st from Washington.
Definitely a lot closer than the last batch of proposed trades. I wouldn't worry about including a 1st coming FROM Washington to Toronto, though. It's closer to realistic without that included.

Wizards could definitely use the scoring, but they could also really use Okafor's defense and rebounding. They do have a quality center in Nene on their roster so trading Okafor would not be incredibly shocking....but on the flipside Nene has a missed a lot of time in his career due to injuries so the insurance of a second starting C doesn't hurt Washington.

As far as cap goes, it's a bit of wash since the dollar figures line up, the exception that Bargnani has one more year on his contract. All things considered, Washington needs to continue to rebuild and **IF** there is somebody there that still thinks Bargnani can improve, then yes I suppose they take this trade. They definitely aren't throwing in a 1st rounder though.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:57 PM
DD03
3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Is this one better?
I'd do that. Okafor is the kind of centre we need. He can block shots and rebound and not really take away minutes from any of the young guys except for maybe Gray..

Old
01-03-2013, 08:59 PM
JMcLeaf

vCash: 352
Yeah I'd consider that. A deal involving Bargs and Okafor has been on my mind since I've seen a couple other people propose it on other forums.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:46 PM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

What will it take to get Josh Smith here?

Old
01-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Rielly Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeCheeseAllDay View Post
Barg would be a horrible fit with Atlanta. They wouldnt want him.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:06 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Too much from us, I'd say. I agree with Rielly Good that Bargnani doesn't fit well in Atlanta, so that won't be an asset we could use to make it happen.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Dr.Funk

Quote:

More than he is worth.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
US Media, Warm Weather, a Max deal and a championship calibre team. Nothing we have currently.

No way he stays here and no point in trading him for half a season.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:48 PM
DD03
3D

If ATL is trading Smith, they are doing a full rebuild. You're looking at Derozan / Ross + picks or JV + picks or some kind of combination like that. If not more.

Which to this team, he is not worth.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
US Media, Warm Weather, a Max deal and a championship calibre team. Nothing we have currently.

No way he stays here and no point in trading him for half a season.
Yeah, Josh Smith will probably pull a Bosh on Atlanta and go join another star somewhere in the US for a chance to win. Maybe he goes to Houston to pair up with Harden? They have no good PFs really.

If we traded for him he'd be here for a few months and then bolt, like Marion did.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:54 PM
socratic

It's fun to talk about Bargnani trades (and I like the discussion because it explores possibilities), but based on Colangelo's history, would you guys agree that Bargnani won't be traded prior to his return?

I think it's smart too. Even if you're committed to trading him, it's hard to imaging his value sinking further. The real risk is that he does upset team chemistry, but I think that may be a little overblown.

Aside from coming back, taking up court time and not playing well, the alternatives are that he comes back, regains his prowess as an offensive threat and can open up some floor space for our now more confident guards. At the very least I could see him coming in on the second unit and taking advantage of some good match ups in the middle of the game.

He's an easy scapegoat, but it's silly to think that Bargnani alone can be blamed for the first 23 games of the season. Barring a golden trade opporunity presenting itself, what actually happens over the next month or two with Bargs?

Edit: Saw a couple of you responded already with intelligent input. I didn't want to make a new post, but I was kind of playing off of the previous Barg-Okafor idea, and came up with these two, any thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b45dgwc
or (probably not enough, looking at the PER)
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a3252ys

Last edited by socratic: 01-03-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old
01-03-2013, 10:58 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic View Post
It's fun to talk about Bargnani trades (and I like the discussion because it explores possibilities), but based on Colangelo's history, would you guys agree that Bargnani won't be traded prior to his return?

I think it's smart too. Even if you're committed to trading him, it's hard to imaging his value sinking further. The real risk is that he does upset team chemistry, but I think that may be a little overblown.

Aside from coming back, taking up court time and not playing well, the alternatives are that he comes back, regains his prowess as an offensive threat and can open up some floor space for our now more confident guards. At the very least I could see him coming in on the second unit and taking advantage of some good match ups in the middle of the game.

He's an easy scapegoat, but it's silly to think that Bargnani alone can be blamed for the first 23 games of the season. Barring a golden trade opporunity presenting itself, what actually happens over the next month or two with Bargs?
i don't think anyone's blaming Bargnani solely for the first 23 games. I think we're all blaming Bargnani for the 21 games of suckage courtesy of Andrea Bargnani. And the lack of overall growth in his career to date.

and there are a lot of connected people around the league that think Bargs will be moved at some point this year. Probably not before he comes back from injury (IIRC they actually can't trade him while he's hurt), but some time before the deadline seems conceivable.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:03 PM
DD03
3D

Quote:

The problem is, with a big man chilling at the three point line.. It actually doesn't open any space for our guards, it actually takes away from it. And that's the biggest problem. Ed Davis is a threat down low and spreads the offense around.. Andrea not so much...

Old
01-04-2013, 04:15 AM
Gobo
Stop looking Gare

Couldn't he play the 3 on the second unit?

Old
01-04-2013, 07:22 AM
The Kessel Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
But who's he going to guard? And if the ball keeps stopping when it hits his hands, he's not a good fit, imo.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:48 AM
thatshype

Quote:
2nd one is too lopsided in our favorite, but I think the first one is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion
The problem is, with a big man chilling at the three point line.. It actually doesn't open any space for our guards, it actually takes away from it. And that's the biggest problem. Ed Davis is a threat down low and spreads the offense around.. Andrea not so much...
I agree. I think the principle behind Bargnani "opening space" is for the benefit of the Center or for a slashing SF. If Bargnani plays near the arc, the defense has two options: a) man-to-man coverage bringing the defending PF out of the paint to respect Bargnani's range, or b) cycle coverage to let the defending SF challenge Bargnani's range. In option A), it leaves more room for the Center to work in the post. In B), it should allow an athletic SF to exploit his bigger/slower defender to get to the net.

Of course, these are just ideal circumstances. We don't really have a good enough SF to make option B work, and Bargnani has been shooting badly enough to not take advantage when he DOES get the open shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo
He's too slow to make it work. He would be even more of a liability on defense.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Yeah, Josh Smith will probably pull a Bosh on Atlanta and go join another star somewhere in the US for a chance to win. Maybe he goes to Houston to pair up with Harden? They have no good PFs really.

If we traded for him he'd be here for a few months and then bolt, like Marion did.
They have Patrick Patterson and Marcus Morris.

Closed Thread