HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v24: Rudy Gay/Hamed Haddadi for Ed Davis/Jose Calderon swap imminent

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2013, 03:11 PM
  #326
Buckleys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
To the real basketball fans here:

What is Rosses upside? Is there a chance he could become a full-time SF?
Honestly it's really tough to gauge. I think he develops into at worst, a really solid starter, but he could be special if he has anywhere near DeRozan's worth ethic.

Buckleys is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 03:17 PM
  #327
DD03
3D
 
DD03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,652
vCash: 50
He's the perfect SG to play behind DD because he's good at everything DD isn't.

DD03 is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 03:22 PM
  #328
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,913
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
According to PER they're both average. Hardly standouts on the court, but there's no need to hinder either of their development paths by signing Smith. Unless of course they were to deal one of them and acquire depth at point guard.




If he doesn't continue to bulk, I don't think he'd be able to handle many of the starting SFs in the league. I think he has a much better chance of becoming a catch and shoot SG, a poor man's Ray Allen.
You don't pass on Smith because you have Patterson. He's not an allstar in waiting. Like you said, he's average.

As for Ross, he's not big or long enough to guard SF. He's a two, and then you try demar at small forward.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 03:23 PM
  #329
thatshype
Registered User
 
thatshype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I guess it's looking more like he and DD will be a great complimentary tandem at SG. It would be nice if Ross could develop into a starting SF though.
It's more desirable for Derozan to develop into the SF. Ross' superiority at perimeter shooting and Derozan's superiority at slashing/attacking suggests Ross at SG and Derozan at SF. Neither really have the ideal size for SF, but Derozan's length is a better fit. He needs to get A LOT stronger though.

thatshype is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 03:24 PM
  #330
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
Honestly it's really tough to gauge. I think he develops into at worst, a really solid starter, but he could be special if he has anywhere near DeRozan's worth ethic.
Yeah its really tough to say right now because of how early he is in his career.

I would say absolute highest ceiling you're looking at James Harden, likely at this point Trevor Ariza/Kevin Martin type scorer... starter/sixth man... a low would be what he is now.

topched is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 03:48 PM
  #331
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,913
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Yeah its really tough to say right now because of how early he is in his career.

I would say absolute highest ceiling you're looking at James Harden, likely at this point Trevor Ariza/Kevin Martin type scorer... starter/sixth man... a low would be what he is now.
Hmm, I don't know about that. They have completely different games. Harden has the handles and vision of a PG, but is big and strong at 6'5, 220 and attacks the rim any chance he gets. He is one of the league leaders in FTA and can control the pace of a game.

Ross plays like Ray Allen does now, spotting up and shooting off curls. He doesn't really attack the basket especially when you look at his FTA, which is pretty abysmal.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 03:56 PM
  #332
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 20,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
You don't pass on Smith because you have Patterson. He's not an allstar in waiting. Like you said, he's average.

As for Ross, he's not big or long enough to guard SF. He's a two, and then you try demar at small forward.
I was more or less referring to the value of those players. You don't sign Smith unless you have the intention of dealing one of Morris/Patterson/White, unless you want to have Smith at SF and Parsons on the bench.

Eyedea is online now  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:09 PM
  #333
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Hmm, I don't know about that. They have completely different games. Harden has the handles and vision of a PG, but is big and strong at 6'5, 220 and attacks the rim any chance he gets. He is one of the league leaders in FTA and can control the pace of a game.

Ross plays like Ray Allen does now, spotting up and shooting off curls. He doesn't really attack the basket especially when you look at his FTA, which is pretty abysmal.
Well checkout Harden's rookie #'s. Those FTA's weren't anywhere near what they are now.

Ross definitely isn't going to be 6'7 200 for the rest of his career. Conceivable to see him put on another 10 lbs in the next few years.

I think TRoss can round out his game and won't be an spot up shooter for the rest of his career. Maybe Michael Redd (in his prime) is a littel bit better comparison for Ross.

topched is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:10 PM
  #334
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED
 
Giuseppe Sallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Back to L.A
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Terrence Ross or Rick Ross?

Giuseppe Sallo is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:11 PM
  #335
thatshype
Registered User
 
thatshype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Hmm, I don't know about that. They have completely different games. Harden has the handles and vision of a PG, but is big and strong at 6'5, 220 and attacks the rim any chance he gets. He is one of the league leaders in FTA and can control the pace of a game.

Ross plays like Ray Allen does now, spotting up and shooting off curls. He doesn't really attack the basket especially when you look at his FTA, which is pretty abysmal.
I also disagree with the Harden comparison, but he also mentioned Kevin Martin...and that's probably the best comparison. Ross is a lot like Kevin Martin without all the FTA. Martin peaked at roughly 20 PPG, and if you cut his Free Throws in half (for the Ross comparison) puts him at roughly 17 PPG. I think that's a reasonable expectation for Ross. They are quite similar from a physical standpoint as well.

Comparing him to Ray Allen is very very premature. Ross may be a distance shooting specialist, but Ray Allen is probably the most proficient 3-pt shooter of all time....comparing Ross to Allen is very optimistic. I guess you're saying that Ray Allen of 2012-2013 to Ross that's okay, but it's definitely misleading using Allen's name when talking about Ross.

thatshype is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:11 PM
  #336
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Terrence Ross or Rick Ross?
For this team right now, I'd probaly take Ricky Rozay. He's more intimidating on D and takes up more space in the paint. Probably be better than Bruce Bowen at talkin' trash too.

Long term I go with Ross tho.

topched is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:17 PM
  #337
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED
 
Giuseppe Sallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Back to L.A
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Demar and Terrence remind me of Vince and Tracy.

I actually feel like Ross is much better upside than McGrady. He's a good defender, can score, shoot three's and is much more actice. plus he's the type of player that plays with confidence.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:26 PM
  #338
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality
 
TootooTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,038
vCash: 500
From more of a casual basketball fan, what's the difference in responsibilities off/def between the SG and SF positions?

TootooTrain is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:36 PM
  #339
thatshype
Registered User
 
thatshype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
From more of a casual basketball fan, what's the difference in responsibilities off/def between the SG and SF positions?
Well it's basically about matchups.....who defends you and who you have to defend....from the other team. If everybody in the league was the same size, the designations of position wouldn't really matter. But in the context of the NBA, the designation matters because typically SF's are bigger and stronger than SG's, while the SG's are quicker and more mobile.

So when it comes to talking about Ross vs. Derozan at the SF spot, you are basically talking about who has to guard Lebron and who has to guard Wade (and in turn, get guarded by).


Strictly talking about the offensive positions, there isn't much difference between SG and SF because the coach could call whatever play he wants (a 3-pt shot from the SF or a slashing-play from the SG are very common in the NBA). What matters more is what the matchups predict as the most successful play call.


Last edited by thatshype: 01-04-2013 at 04:41 PM.
thatshype is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:47 PM
  #340
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality
 
TootooTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Well it's basically about matchups.....who defends you and who you have to defend....from the other team. If everybody in the league was the same size, the designations of position wouldn't really matter. But in the context of the NBA, the designation matters because typically SF's are bigger and stronger than SG's, while the SG's are quicker and more mobile.

So when it comes to talking about Ross vs. Derozan at the SF spot, you are basically talking about who has to guard Lebron and who has to guard Wade (and in turn, get guarded by).


Strictly talking about the offensive positions, there isn't much difference between SG and SF because the coach could call whatever play he wants (a 3-pt shot from the SF or a slashing-play from the SG are very common in the NBA). What matters more is what the matchups predict as the most successful play call.
Really appreciate it. That helps.

TootooTrain is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 04:56 PM
  #341
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,913
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
I also disagree with the Harden comparison, but he also mentioned Kevin Martin...and that's probably the best comparison. Ross is a lot like Kevin Martin without all the FTA. Martin peaked at roughly 20 PPG, and if you cut his Free Throws in half (for the Ross comparison) puts him at roughly 17 PPG. I think that's a reasonable expectation for Ross. They are quite similar from a physical standpoint as well.

Comparing him to Ray Allen is very very premature. Ross may be a distance shooting specialist, but Ray Allen is probably the most proficient 3-pt shooter of all time....comparing Ross to Allen is very optimistic. I guess you're saying that Ray Allen of 2012-2013 to Ross that's okay, but it's definitely misleading using Allen's name when talking about Ross.
Kevin Martin without the FT attempts and better defense might be an apt comparison. I'm really liking Ross's potential as a lockdown defender, he's so quick on his feet that he can always stay in front of his man.

And yeah I don't mean to compare Ross to Ray in his prime, that would be ludicrous. Ray is a first ballot HOF, I meant the Ray Allen of the past few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Demar and Terrence remind me of Vince and Tracy.

I actually feel like Ross is much better upside than McGrady.
He's a good defender, can score, shoot three's and is much more actice. plus he's the type of player that plays with confidence.
Man, I'm guessing you didn't watch McGrady in his prime? Otherwise you are disrespecting McGrady a lot, the guy was the 2nd best SG in the league after Kobe for awhile.

I think we should stay away from the Demar+TRoss= Vince and Tracy. That's just setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 05:06 PM
  #342
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Demar and Terrence remind me of Vince and Tracy.

I actually feel like Ross is much better upside than McGrady. He's a good defender, can score, shoot three's and is much more actice. plus he's the type of player that plays with confidence.
Yeah...... no. Not even close. Tracy McGrady in his prime was one of the best scorers the league has seen over the last 20 years. The kind of guy who could carry a team's offence on his back. Ross could top out as a go-to scorer, but the kind that needs good secondary scoring to support him for a winning team.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
Sometimes I use Twitter: @Nemesis_HF
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 05:09 PM
  #343
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,973
vCash: 580
Yeah McGrady was a franchise player or at least he was looked at as a possible franchise player, him and Vince IMO would've won at least one championship if Tracy decided to stay, but he wanted to be the man and went to his hometown Orlando Magic. It would be a miracle if DD and Ross became what Vince and Tracy were.

Stats01 is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 05:12 PM
  #344
Platinum Seat Leafs
Registered User
 
Platinum Seat Leafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pickering
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,990
vCash: 500
Does anybody have a good link for Tonights game please

Platinum Seat Leafs is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 05:20 PM
  #345
Cool Hand Luke
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post
Does anybody have a good link for Tonights game please
http://*****.so/watch.php?id=554997

This is where I'm watchin it...

Cool Hand Luke is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 05:22 PM
  #346
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,913
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Yeah McGrady was a franchise player or at least he was looked at as a possible franchise player, him and Vince IMO would've won at least one championship if Tracy decided to stay, but he wanted to be the man and went to his hometown Orlando Magic. It would be a miracle if DD and Ross became what Vince and Tracy were.
We would have been a top team no doubt, but who would have stopped Shaq in his prime? Antonio Davis?

BTW some good games on tonight. Raps/Kings, Heat/Bulls and then Lakers/Clippers.

Eytinge is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 05:26 PM
  #347
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,973
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
We would have been a top team no doubt, but who would have stopped Shaq in his prime? Antonio Davis?

BTW some good games on tonight. Raps/Kings, Heat/Bulls and then Lakers/Clippers.
Lakers/Clips is on SN tonight, looking forward to watching it after the Raps game.

Thats a tough question, it would've been fun to watch no matter what. The potential for greatness for the Raptors franchise would've been around for years and years if McGrady stayed, and that would've probably kept Carter in Toronto as well.

Stats01 is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 05:28 PM
  #348
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,973
vCash: 580
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYxJ5MmiuFc

McGrady and ohh the memories! Would've dominated the East for the next decade. The dunk at 2:20 is ridiculous

Stats01 is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 06:17 PM
  #349
TMLeafer
Moderator
The Blueprint.
 
TMLeafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hockey Mecca, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,557
vCash: 500
lol Gray.

TMLeafer is offline  
Old
01-04-2013, 06:22 PM
  #350
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,973
vCash: 580
Gray is so bad

Stats01 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.