HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v24: Rudy Gay/Hamed Haddadi for Ed Davis/Jose Calderon swap imminent

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 11:05 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
They need to give a raise to the surgeon who fixed his wrist and his confidence.
If it can help Fields get 9 rebs in the 1st half, maybe they need to send Bargnani for some wrist surgery

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 57 GP, 18-28-11 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
01-10-2013, 06:16 AM
thatshype

Fields has his best game as a Raptor.....and still shoots 5-10

Good on him though. 11 Rebounds from a SF/SG is pretty excellent. Good job Landry.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
BUNGLADEISH

Never thought I'd live to see the day where Fields gets a double double

Old
01-10-2013, 12:59 PM
socratic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabovski View Post
Nobodys professing Kobe to be the best pressure player in the world, but to say "He isnt clutch" is the same as saying he cant play under pressure. How many titles. Yea, tell me the guy isnt a pressure player, try too.

But please whatever you do, do not try to compare the pressures that one player faces to another because it is inherently flawed. The amount of variables that are involved in determining a pressure situation (or which situation has more pressure), you cant possibly expect to be able to measure this. You either are a pressure player or you're not. Theres no, "Hes more clutch" to it.
I am coming to this discussion a little late, but to be clear, Nemesis and others aren't claiming that Kobe isn't clutch, their claiming that clutchness doesn't exist - that it isn't a thing at all.

I am not completely sure which side of the fence I fall on. The numbers certainly line up with what Nemesis is saying - if you take a large enough sample size, the people considered the best clutch players are really just maintaining their averages.

The selection bias comes from our highlight reels. You see a collection of kobe's game winning shots, and you think "wow, that guys hits sooo many shots to win games, he's so clutch". But they don't show you the 55% of game winning shots that he misses.

On the other hand, I think there could be something to be said for the science of playing under pressure. There's an element of routine that sinks into any professional player's life. I am sure every MLB player has more adrenaline flowing through his body in his first ever big league game then he does on game number 137 of his 7th year in the league. Things become routine.

When you're suddenly thrown into a situation that REALLY matters, that you know millions of people are watching, and that will affect your legacy, I would expect that adrenaline to peak again - which could have a positive physiological response in many athletes. The olympics would be a good place to look for further evidence of this - athletes who normally perform in front a a few hundred or a few thousand people, suddenly find themselves in a 100,000 person stadium on the world's biggest stage, and they set tons of personal bests. The waters are muddied here though, because olympians build their schedules around the olympics, so their bodies are also primed to perform at their absolute best.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic View Post
I am coming to this discussion a little late, but to be clear, Nemesis and others aren't claiming that Kobe isn't clutch, their claiming that clutchness doesn't exist - that it isn't a thing at all.

I am not completely sure which side of the fence I fall on. The numbers certainly line up with what Nemesis is saying - if you take a large enough sample size, the people considered the best clutch players are really just maintaining their averages.

The selection bias comes from our highlight reels. You see a collection of kobe's game winning shots, and you think "wow, that guys hits sooo many shots to win games, he's so clutch". But they don't show you the 55% of game winning shots that he misses.

On the other hand, I think there could be something to be said for the science of playing under pressure. There's an element of routine that sinks into any professional player's life. I am sure every MLB player has more adrenaline flowing through his body in his first ever big league game then he does on game number 137 of his 7th year in the league. Things become routine.

When you're suddenly thrown into a situation that REALLY matters, that you know millions of people are watching, and that will affect your legacy, I would expect that adrenaline to peak again - which could have a positive physiological response in many athletes. The olympics would be a good place to look for further evidence of this - athletes who normally perform in front a a few hundred or a few thousand people, suddenly find themselves in a 100,000 person stadium on the world's biggest stage, and they set tons of personal bests. The waters are muddied here though, because olympians build their schedules around the olympics, so their bodies are also primed to perform at their absolute best.
Yea I agree with this.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:55 PM
thatshype

Last night from Fields was great. There's no way he pulls down 11 off the boards with any type of consistency, but I'd say that he played up to his contract last night. Now all he needs to do is bring that level for the other 81 games...

Old
01-10-2013, 07:03 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

ESPN had a piece that it cribbed from a Toronto paper (want to say it was the Sun) that suggests Kleiza could be on the chopping block via the amnesty clause now.

So.....

Old
01-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
ESPN had a piece that it cribbed from a Toronto paper (want to say it was the Sun) that suggests Kleiza could be on the chopping block via the amnesty clause now.

So.....
It makes sense. He is kinda useless.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Kamal007
A$VP

Quote:

So.....
He's a bum, surprised he has been around for so long.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Soft game coming up, need a big game.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:51 PM
gladis

Granger or Gay?

Old
01-10-2013, 08:59 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladis View Post
Granger or Gay?
Granger easily for me. But is he available? I haven't heard any rumors.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:02 PM
TheSilencer

All these wins are hurting our chances of drafting high this year. This year's draft is supposed to be spread out and weak though, yes? I recall reading something like that somewhere.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:05 PM
gladis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
Granger easily for me. But is he available? I haven't heard any rumors.
I would love Granger as well, Chad Ford said he expected Granger to be in a different uniform next season

Old
01-10-2013, 09:27 PM
thatshype

Quote:

So.....
Not surprising. It wouldn't have a huge impact on the team though, for better or worse. I think the thought of amnestying Bargnani is more tantalizing than using it on Kleiza. It's a much bolder move, but makes a much bigger impact on the team moving forward.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:59 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

I just hope BC would make a deal for like a 2nd or something for Kleiza. Just try and get something for the guy

01-10-2013, 10:01 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I just hope BC would make a deal for like a 2nd or something for Kleiza. Just try and get something for the guy
Who's going to give you anything for an unathletic SF with a streaky shooting touch and gimpy knees?

If they could just get a pick for him, I'm sure they would instead of using the amnesty clause (assuming they do use it)

Old
01-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Dr.Funk

Quote:
All these wins are hurting our chances of drafting high this year. This year's draft is supposed to be spread out and weak though, yes? I recall reading something like that somewhere.

Unless the pick is in top 3 we have to give it to OKC so these wins are exactly what we need. Enough to keep out of the top picks but not enough to have us in the playoffs(as we don't give up the pick then).

Old
01-10-2013, 10:40 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
Unless the pick is in top 3 we have to give it to OKC so these wins are exactly what we need. Enough to keep out of the top picks but not enough to have us in the playoffs(as we don't give up the pick then).
this is such a crappy draft year that if we have to pick one year to just barely miss out and give up our pick, it's probably this one.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Quote:
this is such a crappy draft year that if we have to pick one year to just barely miss out and give up our pick, it's probably this one.
Agreed. There's no real headliners in this year's draft, the best thing for the Raps to do is finish 9th or 10th in the conference, give up a low lottery pick and then wipe their hands clean from the trade.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladis View Post
I would love Granger as well, Chad Ford said he expected Granger to be in a different uniform next season
I'd rather have Gay I think he just needs a change of scenery. He's younger than Granger and Granger has bad knees.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:33 AM
Kb21

off topic, barkley says the kings ruined tyreke evans and will go on to ruin D-cousins if they don't change their lock room and team presence.

i kind of agree, i thought evans was going to be good after his great first year but his development just stopped for some reason.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:20 AM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
off topic, barkley says the kings ruined tyreke evans and will go on to ruin D-cousins if they don't change their lock room and team presence.

i kind of agree, i thought evans was going to be good after his great first year but his development just stopped for some reason.
To be honest, I think a lot of the blame for Tyreke Evans falls on none other than Tyreke Evans. The guy just doesn't seem to have the drive to get better. It's easy to blame the coaching staff and/or the lack of veteran leaders, but at some point you have to look at the player himself and wonder why he has regressed.

That being said, he still has time to figure it out.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:30 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
To be honest, I think a lot of the blame for Tyreke Evans falls on none other than Tyreke Evans. The guy just doesn't seem to have the drive to get better. It's easy to blame the coaching staff and/or the lack of veteran leaders, but at some point you have to look at the player himself and wonder why he has regressed.

That being said, he still has time to figure it out.
Totally agree with you, however IF the kings screw up cousins, if the have a history of screwing up development...then its on the team to check themselves when it comes to internal development. Obviously cousins is a difficult personality, but people think Boston can reign him in. Sacramento shouldn't be that team that its just assumed they can't handle with tough personalities

Last edited by donkeyy0: 01-11-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old
01-11-2013, 11:53 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Who's going to give you anything for an unathletic SF with a streaky shooting touch and gimpy knees?

If they could just get a pick for him, I'm sure they would instead of using the amnesty clause (assuming they do use it)
Shhh come on man. Don't tell them about his gimpy knees, we need teams to forget about it . I'd rather trade him then use the amnesty is what I'm trying to say. Hopefully BC is shopping him.

Last edited by DirtyDion03: 01-11-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Closed Thread