HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Best way to regain fan trust

Old
01-06-2013, 01:35 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Best way to regain fan trust

So now that it looks like the puck will drop again...

What is the best way for the NHL and the players to regain the fans trust and support?

This article says fire Bettman and Daly.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6973654/

I agree. Fehr is going to leave the NHLPA on his own most likely, so I say fire the idiots who keep bringing us to this point.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:39 PM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
Bettman will leave in a couple of seasons, and Daly will get the job...as for the PA, they need to find the right guy, and stop changing him out every 1-2 yrs...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:40 PM
RedBruin

The NHL doesn't need to regain the fan's trust because they'll be running back the moment the puck is dropped.

RedBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:44 PM
premadonna

vCash: 520
The fans will be back, no matter what.

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
So now that it looks like the puck will drop again...

What is the best way for the NHL and the players to regain the fans trust and support?

This article says fire Bettman and Daly.

I agree. Fehr is going to leave the NHLPA on his own most likely, so I say fire the idiots who keep bringing us to this point.
So what? Fehr cost the players half a season's salary for very little lost in the new CBA, and actually I see no big losses yet (at least from what I've read so far).

support? trust? Just play the game. (G&M just writing shameless filler - deadlines and all, gotta write something.)

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:58 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
So what? Fehr cost the players half a season's salary for very little lost in the new CBA, and actually I see no big losses yet (at least from what I've read so far).

support? trust? Just play the game. (G&M just writing shameless filler - deadlines and all, gotta write something.)
The players lost 32 games of salary but they could have lost much more if they had used the strategy of rolling over dead in October.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Fishhead

I hope GB/Daly aren't fired. Odds would be a pretty high that the owners would bring in someone more hard-line to replace him. It came out a few times that Gary was going farther than many owners were willing to go as far as concessions.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

The diehards will be back.

The passionate fan will be back.

The middle of the road will come back too.

The lower end fan may be pissed, but will return eventually.

The fan that starting gaining interest and then this circus started could be lost forever, but ultimately some may come back.

Be honest. Show the fans that we matter. Maybe additional team community gatherings, signings and such, especially this summer, giveaways, i.e. jersey's, hats, sticks, basic t-shirts won't cut it.

01-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Right or wrong, fans despise Bettman. The best PR move would be to can him. It would be a huge image boost. Just what we need but I doubt it happens.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Right or wrong, fans despise Bettman. The best PR move would be to can him. It would be a huge image boost. Just what we need but I doubt it happens.
Everyone blames him, but everyone forgets one thing; he works for the 30 owners. So if anyone is to hate, its the owners. Bettman does get some fault, but its not all his.

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Shocking article from the Globe & Mail. They have been beating the fire Bettman drum for what 20 years now. Bettman did exactully what his bosses the owners wanted him to do. Why not just let the center ice package be free this season?

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:12 PM
LeftCoast

Donald Fehr may or may not step down. The NHLPA Executive Director, whomever he is, fades into the background once the CBA is signed. I think Fehr has brought the level of professionalism and structure to the NHLPA that was missing in previous eras.

But once the CBA is signed and the puck is dropped, Bettman is still the NHL commissioner. He is still the corporate face of the league. He is going to have to attend games, speak to issues such as player discipline, the (hopefully) final chapters of the Phoenix Coyotes sale, probably realignment, etc. He is going to also have to hand the Stanley Cup to Henrik Sedin (ok - to the winning team's captain) in late June and he is going to be booed at ever public appearance for the foreseeable future.

Everyone mentions the dramatic increase in league revenues and team valuations under his tenure, but his legacy also includes three lockouts, the Phoenix debacle and a handful of rather shaky team owners (Delbagio, the Preds owners who didn't want the team, etc.).

I'm not sure if Bill Daly is the guy to to take the reigns or not, but the Commissioner sets the tone for the how the league communicates and relates to its fans and partners. Gary Bettman's tone is toxic. I think the league should also elect a new Executive Committee. If we are going to avoid future work stopages, the league the the PA have to develop more of a partnership. I don't see how that can be done with the current leadership of either organization.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:13 PM
twolinepass

What would prevent the NHL from offering Center Ice for free this season? Say "sorry" by providing the product to everyone.

twolinepass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolinepass View Post
What would prevent the NHL from offering Center Ice for free this season? Say "sorry" by providing the product to everyone.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...5&postcount=15

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:16 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolinepass View Post
I don't know if thats a good idea. The average NHL game is pretty sub par to watch. Sure if you get the right match up the game will be entertaining but most are duds and letting everyone thats not a die hard see that could be negative!

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Frenzy1

Bettman has done a great job of growing the game. Fans can be pissed at him all they want. Blame him for the lockout... etc. But - you do have to give him credit where it is due.

Revenues are way up. Teams for kids in the US has grown quite a bit (heck we have Cali kids being drafted). Other countries are producing highend players. He has grown the game.

From the owners perspective, he has taken all the flack for the two lockouts and has acted like a shield for the owners from fan hate. Fans and players can hate him, but fans will return to their teams and will root for them. Players will return to their teams and play hard for them.

IMO, he has done his job. But I also see it as a time for the NHL to make a change and let him go. That would be one step. Also, Fehr needs to leave - which would be step two.

Finally, I would offer any fan who had had at Center Ice package at any point in the past 4 years, free center ice. That would be one big step.

After that, the best thing that could happen is strong hockey with good teams in some of the weaker markets. That will drive fan interest back into those teams with long playoff pushes. Some of the smaller markets/weaker fan bases need to have a good playoff run and that will drive fans back into their seats.

The rest of us will be back - because we are fans.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:21 PM
PensBeerGeek

Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Why not just let the center ice package be free this season?
http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/6/384...ly-cant-happen

The cable companies contractually get a cut of the Center Ice revenue. The NHL could sell it at that minimum price and receive no revenue themselves, but it couldn't be free.

They do control Gamecenter (online streaming service) though, so that would be a possibility.

PensBeerGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:21 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Bettman has done a great job of growing the game. Fans can be pissed at him all they want. Blame him for the lockout... etc. But - you do have to give him credit where it is due.

Revenues are way up. Teams for kids in the US has grown quite a bit (heck we have Cali kids being drafted). Other countries are producing highend players. He has grown the game.

From the owners perspective, he has taken all the flack for the two lockouts and has acted like a shield for the owners from fan hate. Fans and players can hate him, but fans will return to their teams and will root for them. Players will return to their teams and play hard for them.

IMO, he has done his job. But I also see it as a time for the NHL to make a change and let him go. That would be one step. Also, Fehr needs to leave - which would be step two.

Finally, I would offer any fan who had had at Center Ice package at any point in the past 4 years, free center ice. That would be one big step.

After that, the best thing that could happen is strong hockey with good teams in some of the weaker markets. That will drive fan interest back into those teams with long playoff pushes. Some of the smaller markets/weaker fan bases need to have a good playoff run and that will drive fans back into their seats.

The rest of us will be back - because we are fans.
Revenues are way up because of the crazy prices the top markets fans pay to get in the arena. Has nothing to do with the south or growing the game. The joke of a national tv contract proves the game isn't popular, hasn't been grown and where all the money is coming from.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

All you get is this:

And a price increase.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:26 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
All you get is this:

And a price increase.
Don't be so cynical. The players will coast around center ice with their sticks in the air after the first game as well.

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Revenues are way up because of the crazy prices the top markets fans pay to get in the arena. Has nothing to do with the south or growing the game. The joke of a national tv contract proves the game isn't popular, hasn't been grown and where all the money is coming from.
That is just flat out wrong. Ticket prices have gone up, but not that much. But that is also due to demand. Some tickets have gone down in price (st. Louis for example) due to prolonged losing on the ice.

It isn't the national contract that proves the game has grown, but the larger local contracts (fox, etc..) that have increased. The fact their are more youth teams in the US.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Timmy

Just spitballing here, but on a team-specific basis, I think that the best way for a GM to thank the fans and regain their trust is to trade high picks and prospects for a good goaltender with a long, cap-friendly contract in order to signal that you're in win-now mode.

With a shortened season, you may get into the playoffs; if that hasn't happened for awhile, it would certainly bring you much accolades and love from the masses. The trick will be find a goalie who plays for a team that is willing to trade him, which could take some digging.

IMHO, of course.

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:42 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Shocking article from the Globe & Mail. They have been beating the fire Bettman drum for what 20 years now. Bettman did exactully what his bosses the owners wanted him to do. Why not just let the center ice package be free this season?
Quite right.The Globe and Mail going after Bettman is to be expected.
He hasn't been perfect but he has done what was necessary to save the league.

Fans of a number of teams including Nashville and Pittsburgh and Buffalo and at least a couple of the Canadian teams still have their teams partly because Bettman had a hand in saving them.

Anyone who does what he does is going to collect enemies especially as he doesn't pander.. But I admire him for taking on the anger that could have been directed to individual owners on himself instead.

The best thing the league could do is just get down to business and never mind the Thank You's. Individual teams would do well to drop thier prices for the first month or so at least. The game was getting too expensive anyway.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:45 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
That is just flat out wrong. Ticket prices have gone up, but not that much. But that is also due to demand. Some tickets have gone down in price (st. Louis for example) due to prolonged losing on the ice.

It isn't the national contract that proves the game has grown, but the larger local contracts (fox, etc..) that have increased. The fact their are more youth teams in the US.
Ticket prices have gone up a lot in the big markets, it costs 80 bucks to get in the rink in Vancouver, you can buy 5 tickets for that price in some arenas. Who is selling all the merchandise? It is literally cheaper to fly to a southern city to watch a playoff game than buy tickets to a game in our own city. Many people do this.

The whole growing the game nonsense may be true at the youth level, which is great, but lots of markets are struggling badly with low fan support while a lucky few bring in most of the revenue.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Schroedingers Cat

The only thing I see the NHL doing is possibly giving %50 off Game Center live. I would honestly be surprised at that much.

Schroedingers Cat is offline   Reply With Quote